Author Topic: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)  (Read 704198 times)

Godlift

• View Profile
Re: [FF7] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)
« Reply #1200 on: 2017-08-31 04:42:46 »
Awesome :) Looking forward to it!

Kimsiudog

• View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: 2017-08-31 06:14:07 »
nice tool, makes me want to play FF7 pc more :D

Godlift

• View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: 2017-08-31 19:48:22 »
I'll have the fix for you within 24hr :)

Edit.

Code: [Select]
6DC963 = C7 45 F8 FF FF 00 00 90 90
That's the "fix".  It forces a value of $FFFF to the Ultima Weapon, which is the maximum colour. Usually, what happens is the value changes depending on (HP/MaxHP) * $FFFF

In order to add this fix to FF7, you have 3 choices:

1. Use a regular hex editor to edit the executable (if so, the address becomes 2DBD63 instead of 6DC963)

2. Use HextEdit to edit the executable. Same as above.  (See Tools section for Hext Tools).

3. The best option imho... add the above instruction to a plain text file and use HextLaunch (again from Hext Tools).

When my new dll arrives, you won't need to use Hext Tools, as the dll will add the function of it automatically.  For now, HextLaunch is the best option. If you have any issues with HextLaunch or HextEdit, then let me know.

Thank you so much this worked like a charm! I really appreciate the help not only with this but also the other times you have helped out when I have had a question. I decided to use hext edit. I look forward to the release of your new tool and R06!

Tegrenath

• View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: 2017-09-10 10:58:56 »
Hi,

Is there any way to enable double cut and slash-all menu items to appear together (i.e. so that they add additional commands to the battle menu, rather than being replacers for the attack command)?

The Wallmarket editor shows that they are set up to replace the attack command, and it lets you edit this so that they should be able to appear separately (e.g. if replacing the 'coin' command), but this doesn't seem to actually achieve any difference in the game itself. There doesn't seem to be a mechanism in Wallmarket for associating the menu command and materia item with the actual output of the command?

Any suggestions welcomed.

Tegrenath

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: 2017-09-10 11:32:35 »
Apologies, just seen this thread which solves it beautifully!
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14947.0

resinate

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: 2017-11-15 05:44:53 »
when i mod the kernel.bin from PSX bin files the tool saves the files in different sizes and when i re import it game doesnt load

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: 2018-01-20 23:13:41 »
is it a known issue the app crashes on launch, and if so a fix for it?

1.18 doesnt crash but 1.19 and newer including the latest all crash on launch.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1207 on: 2018-01-21 01:25:10 »
is it a known issue the app crashes on launch, and if so a fix for it?

1.18 doesnt crash but 1.19 and newer including the latest all crash on launch.

Did you install power packs? It's required. If you can wait a few weeks or so a new version will be out that won't require it.

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: 2018-01-22 04:03:52 »
that was it thanks :)

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: 2018-02-04 12:27:50 »
Can you provide info on Scene-look-up please?

the google cache of this page shows a link to wiki here which explains it but seems it got pulled?

http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/Battle_and_growth_data

BahamutSIN

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: 2018-03-09 18:05:52 »
It would be nice to be able to change the duration of spells/status effects in wallmarket (like barrier, regen etc). I know it sounds like a request... :P but I hope you give that some consideration though and thank you for this tool.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1211 on: 2018-03-10 04:31:01 »
It would be nice to be able to change the duration of spells/status effects in wallmarket (like barrier, regen etc). I know it sounds like a request... :P but I hope you give that some consideration though and thank you for this tool.

If you read through all 49 pages of this topic (not a light read, admittedly) you'd know why that won't happen with this tool. WallMarket is ONLY a KERNEL.BIN editor and nothing else. The status durations are stored in the executable file. Since that's outside the scope of this tool it will not be an option. There are very few requests at this point that I'd be willing to entertain since it does allow editing of every byte in the entire file. There are a few cosmetic enhancements and fixes pending, however. I'm close to releasing a new "lighter" version, but it won't have any new things to modify.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1212 on: 2018-04-10 14:30:35 »
UPDATE:

Over two years ago I promised a version 1.5.0 would be on its way. I am please to announce that 1.5.0 is functionally where I want it and is technically ready for people to try out.

What's changed?

-No more third-party requirements. This is huge to me. Not only does it rid the requirements of Power Packs (an ancient library of obsolete objects), but it also remove the requirement of zlib.dll! The only reason that the dll was required was to achieve the maximum level of GZip compression. Until .NET Runtime 4.5 (which remains the only requirement) the GZip function had two settings of compression: compressed and not compressed. "Compressed" was just the fastest compression option that made it smaller. This was referred to as compression level 1 in the GZip document, but FF7 used compression level 9. Maybe back in 1997 there was a need for 9 different compression levels since it took a long time to compress large volumes at that rate, but not for a project of this size. The .NET 4.5 finally allows for compression level 9 without creating aliases in third-party dlls.

-Better visuals with the stat curves. In a perhaps ironically related note, Power Packs was only a requirement because of the stat curve indicators. Now that the requirement is gone I've reworked the way the curves are functioning to be smoother. It's now based on cursor position (you can right-click to freeze it on a level) and the bounding indicator works a little better. There's even a little highlighted polygon around the stat indicator. Nothing too special, I just wanted to point it out. :) The indicated stat label is now bound inside the preview window instead of to the side. I think it just looks cleaner that way. I've also added preview panels to the curves tab for stat, HP, MP and exp growth so you can compare them per curve entry. I might add a little bit of additional functionality to this, but don't count on it.

-Fixed text glitch? I'm not really sure on this one. Looking at the old code it was clear to me that it was all wrong. Not the method of generating the files, but that the code itself was unreadable. I had no idea what line was doing what. I completely rewrote it and refactored it into smaller chunks. The PC compresses nicely and seems to work just fine with my copy. I reworked the PSX compression, but have no way of testing it. It might be fine, it might be completely wrong. PSX "compression" still takes a long time compared to PC compression and it's more basic. The progress bar at the bottom is virtually functionless right now. Still working on getting that to mean something.

-XML-based labels and drop-downs. Here's where the technical changes stop and the cosmetic changes really weigh in. I've gotten numerous suggestions on how to display certain formulae/stat names over the years and my understanding on each of them keep changing. Instead of releasing a new revision each time an equation changes I'm releasing this version with an XML file that will allow you to change the equations yourself! If "(Power / 16) * (Stat + [(Level + Stat) / 32] * [(Level * Stat) / 32])" doesn't mean anything to you, you can change the entry in the XML to read something simpler like "Standard weapon damage". LOTS of labels and drop-down items can now be customized and I'm not through my list of changeable labels (which is why it's technically ready, but not cosmetically ready :P ).

-XML-based labels and drop-downs. Loading XML files can take some time so I added a little splash-screen to it while loading. It needs some work and is just a placeholder for now (potential copyright infringement ATM), but it's a touch I always thought WM needed.

What's not changed?
Hopefully nothing functional. I refactored a few things and added some threaded code and rejiggered a few things here and there (changed method parameter types and such) that should hopefully make the program run smoother and/or be less memory intensive. Not like it was visually/computationally demanding before, but it's satisfying as a programmer to go back to old code and apply new optimizations to old code.
I kinda wanted to change the AI editor, but I think I'm just going to leave it as-is FOR THIS VERSION. I've tried to change it several times and I was never pleased with the results. I might try again in the future after this version is released and ruminates a while.

When can we expect this version/any new version in the future?
When I get enough motivation to actually tidy it up. Honestly, I'm extremely proud of WM and PrC. Not because they use good code, but because WM has become essentially exactly what I wanted it to be: The de facto modding tool for all things KERNEL.BIN (sans text). PrC has a ways to go (next up will be the PrCMDI that I've been putting off), but when I see that people use, or even mention that they want, WM I get a little giddy inside. However, I've lost about half my enthusiasm for FF7 throughout this journey. I still have extremely fond memories of playing it with my friend back in high school and still love reversing the code to find little mechanics that people want help with. Put into perspective, it's a 20 year old game and my preferences of what games to waste my time on have changed. I still love RPGs, but FF7 now feels like a girlfriend that I got to know a little too well. I was infatuated by what was on the surface, but after digging at it for years I've learned that she's got some major flaws that she didn't want anyone else to know about. I'm still committed because I'm a faithful guy like that. I just don't want to be smothered.
Well, THAT got awkward. The actual answer is "just be patient". I'm not good with deadlines or even dedicating consistent blocks of time to do anything with it. I'd like to say "within the next month" because I only have tiny changes to make, but I won't be bound to that.

Phanoo

• Musician & Programmer
    • View Profile
    • FM Composer
Re: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)
« Reply #1213 on: 2018-04-25 11:46:37 »
I understand your feelings, it's hard to keep the motivation up after most of the fun work is done. The last % are the hardest, as always !
« Last Edit: 2018-04-25 11:55:31 by Phanoo »

Robo Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: 2018-05-24 07:42:31 »
Hey, a quick note. ALL of the older versions of Wallmarket are missing from the DL links. All of them 404. You may want to consider uploading them as "Optional older versions" in the same zip file for the 'current' version in case anyone is having issues and needs/wants to use the older versions. :shrugs:

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1215 on: 2018-05-24 13:23:33 »
Good to know, but I don't even have the older versions to archive. I'm not supporting older versions so if they're dead links I'm just gonna remove them.

Hikigaya

• View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: 2018-08-11 18:32:54 »
Nice to see that you are still improving this wonderful tool.

codemann8

• View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: 2019-01-19 10:22:53 »
Hi NFITC, you mention a 1.5.0 version but I don't see any links to it anywhere.  Also, are you planning on releasing the source at all?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1218 on: 2019-01-19 23:16:45 »
Hi NFITC, you mention a 1.5.0 version but I don't see any links to it anywhere.  Also, are you planning on releasing the source at all?

It’s still not ready, and yes. This update is super ambitious so I want to make sure it’s right. It’ll have multilingual support too. Source will soon follow, but it’s mostly garbage TBH.

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: 2019-02-16 15:37:01 »
It’s still not ready, and yes. This update is super ambitious so I want to make sure it’s right. It’ll have multilingual support too. Source will soon follow, but it’s mostly garbage TBH.

Do you need help with Italian localisation?

LeonNujain

• View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: 2019-07-02 05:04:42 »
Hello ! Sorry for this question, but I just downloaded WallMarket 1.4.5 and this doesn't run. SO is Win 10 Home x64.

Why would it be ? It literally does nothing to double click the .exe, the process appears for a second and then disappears in Task Manager.

Thanks in advance !

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1221 on: 2019-07-02 13:34:35 »
Do you have the required components installed? Check the first post.

DefMettle

• He who shouts loudest can only hear his own voice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: 2019-07-09 07:47:28 »
Excellent job, ive been modding ff7 for 10 years now and i owe most of it to WallMarket (and Kimera). I love it, literal years of fun thanks to you! GG

ps. 1.5  ;D

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: 2019-07-17 23:51:14 »
guys any advice on how to make my changes into a patch for distribution?  Is ok I figured it out. :)
« Last Edit: 2019-07-18 02:06:01 by Chrysalis »

Trunks

• View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: 2019-08-22 18:26:10 »
hi, I have a question because I really don't understand how to use this tool: what a kernel.bin is? I thought I could directly open the bin of the game, final fantasy 7, but I can't and I don't know what to do...