Author Topic: [Tutorial] Covarr's New FF7Music Tutorial  (Read 202675 times)

Fleet Command

• View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Covarr's New FF7Music Tutorial
« Reply #50 on: 2009-06-07 14:28:07 »
One question: What would happen if I do not grant administrative permission to FFMusic? What exactly requires admin privileges? What purpose does it serve that cannot serve with just standard privileges?

Currently, I'm running FF7 and its add-ons all with standard privileges and I see nothing wrong. But am I missing something? If yes, I'd like to know what and whether it is worth losing. Note that admin privileges are not to be given to every Dick v1.0, Tom v2.0 and Harry 3.0.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2009-06-07 15:27:51 »
When I had FF7 installed to the default location, I needed FF7Music to have admin privileges so that it could write to its own ini file; anything that tries to write to the Program Files directory needs to be run as an admin. However, once you're done setting everything up, I suppose it doesn't need to be run as an admin.

Not that it's a security threat to run FF7Music as an admin, since I've never heard of any virus, trojan, worm, etc that takes advantage of it, but I can understand that it would be annoying if that dialog box popped up every time you use it.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2009-06-07 18:24:54 »
That's it? Really, that ONLY it?

Under Windows Vista, no issue regarding writing to INI files occured: File System Virtualization automatically kicked in and the INI files were redirected outside Program Files folder. (And by the way, even on Vista I don't get a UAC popup because in Vista too, I run under a Standard User Account.) On Windows XP, I forsaw this issue and granted write permisions on .INI and .CFG files to Authenticated Users group.

As for you and me hearing about a trojan taking advantage of something, I won't wait for that. Because (1) viruses infect any EXE thing, exploitable or not if you give unnecessary admin permissions; besides, (2) when we hear such news as a malware taking advantage of something, the said malware has already affected thousand; finally, (3) every application, exploitable or not, which do not really need administrative privileges must act like a good citizen and do not request privileges of a president. This is law. Make FF7 an exception and tommorow you'll find yourself making every pig.exe, dick.bat, tom.com, harry.js an exception.

cyr

« Reply #53 on: 2009-06-07 18:41:20 »
Check your FF7Config's compatibility mode. If that helps, tell me, and I'll update the tutorial.

Also, what OS are you running?

I am running vista on 32. The compatibility for config is xp/sp2. I tried using different compatibilities, and going through the config each time. Im so curious as to why this may be happening. It's like an unsolved riddle.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2009-06-09 04:43:33 »
Alas, I have no idea what could be causing it to ignore config settings. It's probably related to Vista's virtual store, but I don't know enough about virtual store to troubleshoot it, or really anything at all.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2009-06-12 05:12:49 »
Though I'm not sure if this is noted anywhere.  The file ta - FFVII Main Theme is the World Map music the plays during the first part of the game, it's much more upbeat than the tb that plays later on.

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2009-06-12 13:24:51 »
does anyone have the following problem?

if I load ff7music, I have to open config box and manually fix the path where it searches for music files.  This has to be done everytime the app is loaded, so basically the path gets reset to an invalid path.
If I open the config box to edit options and then save without editing the path, the path breaks again and so basically everytime I make changes to config I also have to fix the path.

here is the correct path to my music files.

F:\games\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\Ficedula\FF7Mp3\PSF

here is the path it resets to

F:\games\Square
Soft,
Inc\Final
Fantasy
VII\Ficedula\FF7Mp3\PSF

basically it changes spaces to new lines.  it also sometimes adds a \ to the end which breaks things.

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2009-06-12 13:34:14 »
FF7Music sometimes throws a fit when you put your music in a path with spaces in it. I would STRONGLY advise something more direct, such as C:\FF7PSF or something like that, rather than leaving them in your game's install directory.

As for the plugins, it doesn't really matter where they are as long as FF7Music can find them. I've seen it said that they need to be in the same directory as ff7.exe or that they need to be in the ficedula folder, but I'm pretty sure this is not the case.

ahh thanks so thats the fix, now I have my music in f:\games\FF7MP3\PSF no spaces and no issues.

Mombasa

« Reply #58 on: 2009-06-12 18:36:04 »
Hmm, I've downloaded the rar, followed the instructions correctly, but FF7Music refuses to read the FF7MUSIC.ini.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2009-06-12 19:48:07 »
Mombasa, is your FF7MUSIC.ini file in the same directory as FF7Music.exe?

Mombasa

« Reply #60 on: 2009-06-12 20:30:46 »
Yeah, and I've tried your version and the FilePlanet version. The 1.51 version of FFMusic can't detect it but the older version in the FP pack can.
« Last Edit: 2009-06-12 20:34:53 by Mombasa »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2009-06-12 21:07:21 »
Hmm, this is an odd problem indeed; I've never seen this one before. Have you tried tinkering around with the compatibility mode? I know that I couldn't get FF7Music to run properly in Win98 compatibility mode.

Honestly, FF7Music is so filled with problems and bugs, especially when used with newer OS's, that if I knew any language other than Applesoft Basic I'd probably write a new program myself, just to alleviate all these issues.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2009-06-13 22:05:47 »
I thought it might be important to note that in awe.lgp there is 1 extra file called lb2_awe.mid.  It seems to be basically the same music as lb2.mid only more high pitched.

In ygm.lgp and xg.lgp there are 4 extra files (which do not include lb2_awe.mid).  These files are heart.mid (ends almost instantly), sato.mid (I can't hear anything), sensui.mid ( the same sound repeats over and over in rhythm) and wind.mid (might be the track that plays when trying to cross the 3 different windy chasms in the Northern Crater).

In closing.  It is probably best to use the Yamaha midi player and make sure to add these files into your FF7Music config file.  My suggestion would be to create multiple copies of heart.mid and rename them to aseri.mid cintro.mid sadsid.mid etc etc until all the midis that you have mp3's for are replaced.  This way the midi volume can be left alone in game and any missing sound effects (should) also play.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2009-06-13 22:14:07 »

Honestly, FF7Music is so filled with problems and bugs, especially when used with newer OS's, that if I knew any language other than Applesoft Basic I'd probably write a new program myself, just to alleviate all these issues.

How about the original author?  Is he no longer able to reach or to work on it?  It seems a shame because he will have the source code...maybe he could release it ?  Has anyone tried contacting?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2009-06-13 23:43:56 »
I haven't seen ficedula anywhere in a long time. He might be around, but I really don't know.

obesebear: I think lb2_awe.mid is the version with lyrics, if you have a soundfont compatible card. By default, it's unused.

musaru

• Fading Remnant
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2009-06-14 03:14:08 »
I don't know if this has been said anywhere, but there's way too much stuff to read. So i'm going to just explain what i'm annoyed at

I have everything set up correctly (i believe) My music files ARE playing.

I have the correct Midi Device selected with mute midi on custom playback checked. Loop custom files is checked, and Resuming is on Always

I have Emulate Ramps, and Obey 'stop' checked as well.

Now... My problem :

- The MP3s take a few seconds sometimes, maybe even a minute, to start up. This is especially annoying in the victory theme music.

- I am noticing at the end of my mp3s, sometimes the midi will start to play.

- Sometimes my midi's will play along with my mp3s, and that's just damn annoying.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2009-06-14 10:05:29 »
- The MP3s take a few seconds sometimes, maybe even a minute, to start up. This is especially annoying in the victory theme music.

>>  change the buffering settings of in_mad / In_mp3 plugin so that it doesnt buffer way too much of the MP3.

- I am noticing at the end of my mp3s, sometimes the midi will start to play.
- Sometimes my midi's will play along with my mp3s, and that's just damn annoying.

>>  download "highwind" and get rid of the midis from the sound file called midi.lgp, found in your FF7 MIDI folder (although it seems to work for me when I delete the file altogether).  
« Last Edit: 2009-06-14 10:21:41 by Seifer Almasy »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2009-06-14 13:44:51 »
musaru: If you're on Vista or later, and you can hear midis playing, then it's not using loopbe like it should if you followed the tutorial. This could be for any number of reasons, including FF7.exe simply being stupid. If you're using XP or earlier, simply having "mute midi on custom playback" checked should fix it, but no guarantees since this program seems to arbitrarily not work right.

musaru

• Fading Remnant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2009-06-14 14:52:43 »
No i'm using XP, not Vista :S

Okay. I've tried deleting my Midi.lgp, and that didn't do anything. Midis aren't playing DURING the MP3s anymore, but they're still playing before and after them for a few seconds. Kind've annoying, especially with the buffering delays for the MP3s.

I'm still getting the delay for my mp3 plays. I went into my buffer settings for in_mad.dll, but i can't really change anything. I changed my connection speed to < 1 mbps (which it is) and it's still taking a while to load. Under File in the buffer tab, i can't change the size setting. It only has medium as a choice. I would mess with the advanced settings, if someone has any ideas what i should put for

Input, Output, and input refill level =/

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2009-06-14 15:11:48 »
If you are using XP you do not need in_mad and both can be altered.  Advanced mode for the buffer settings of in_mad  and the in_mp3 ones are simple. 

As for Midi still playing at the start, that is impossible...if you have deleted those files, I cannot see how that is happening. 

musaru

• Fading Remnant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2009-06-14 15:47:11 »
They aren't simple for me. I don't know what values for input/output will work =/

And i'm serious. i tried highwind, removed all the midis in the .lgp, and they were still playing. Then i deleted the midi.lgp and they are STILL playing. Here's a screen shot of my midi folder

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll89/Mufalmar/Midifolder.jpg

That's all that i have in it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2009-06-14 15:59:09 »
You aren't using the ultima edition of 7 I hope?  Cause that won't work...

But all you do with the buffer is tell it to use soemthing lower than say 250 KB.....

That sjhould look like an instant buffer in that case...  if not, go lower.  Experiment.

I have no idea why you are still getting midi playing....you may be mistaking it for something else.  Please upload a sample of the music if you can?

musaru

• Fading Remnant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2009-06-14 18:44:39 »
No, i don't believe i'm using the ultima edition. I have the eidos platinum edition.

I am positive it's the midi that is playing. I can't upload a sample, because i don't have any music files in my FF7 folder.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2009-06-14 19:20:27 »
no I mwant a sample via recording it even with a mic or something if you dont know how to record "what u hear"

any case....  if the midis are gone out of that file (infact that file isnt there)  I dont see how midis are still playing.  Does this happen on particular screens?  Does the correct midi always play in the correct areas or is it the same midi?

musaru

• Fading Remnant
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2009-06-14 21:09:49 »
Hold on. I'll record a small bit of it.

But first, yes, the midis play in the correct places. They start up playing, then stop when the mp3 is starting to play.

EDIT : http://www.mediafire.com/?2jgvtnyztya

Sorry that the file is 40MB for only 8 seconds of recording.. I used Fraps, and i'm guessing it's because it's a .avi =/
Id've converted it but i don't have any good converters -.-
« Last Edit: 2009-06-14 21:21:25 by musaru »