Author Topic: [FF8] View/edit/adding battlefields/encounters  (Read 2773 times)

JeMaCheHi

• You can just call me J!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel :D
[FF8] View/edit/adding battlefields/encounters
« on: 2014-07-18 16:01:56 »
Hi there everyone. After a closest read to the wiki, play with scripting, opcodes, and learning some files's internal structure, I'm wondering if could be posible to edit the battlefields. And, by battlefields I mean the encounter itself. For example, changing the background, or grouping some enemies that aren't in the original files.

I've also seen in the wiki that RAT and MRT stores that kind of data, however I can't find those files anywhere in game's data. Anyone knows where are them? I'd like to take a closest look at them, because, for battle formation, the only info the wiki gives is "MRT file contains 4 * two bytes. Each two bytes is a battle formation ID. ", but I'm not looking for it's IDs, but the formation itself. I also suspect that *.x files could be some relation to this. I do not know how to find out it, though

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!

Shard

• View Profile
Re: [FF8] View/edit/adding battlefields/encounters
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-18 19:01:22 »
It is possible to edit battle scenes, but there aren't any tools for it yet.

The RAT and MRT files belong to the fields, they only control how often which battles happen. They have nothing to do with the encounters themselves. The battle scenes (IIRC) are all in the X and DAT files. Right now, Ifrit can just edit individual monsters. The battle scene formats are almost positively in the X files.

JeMaCheHi

• You can just call me J!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel :D
Re: [FF8] View/edit/adding battlefields/encounters
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-18 20:30:47 »
I supposed that x files was the scenes. Plus, I opened them in Deling and they showed what appears to be the background. However, there are about...160 x files. Not enough to contain every single encounter. Anyway, my theory is that every x file contains every posible encounter in the same background. I've been taking a look at them in a hex editor and noticed that they all are ALMOST IDENTICAL in the first section, excepting some bytes, (normally groups of 2, and normally the same bytes, for example offset 0x48-0x49).

Anyone is interested in making a tool? I have no idea of programming GUIs, but I can program parsing functions or whatever.