Author Topic: The day of rockening!  (Read 23592 times)

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Re: The day of rockening!
« Reply #25 on: 2006-05-22 05:52:31 »
Yes. Yes. Oh god, yes. Completely fantastic. For once I am in complete agreement with the final scores, thank god Sweden didn't win at least. I'm not even going to try to analyze how Lordi managed to win the entire thing, with such a score to boot, at least not right now. They shouldn't have won the ESC with such a get-up, and that's exactly why they did. Teh anti-win. :P Absolutely fantastic!  :-D

Time to get back to some more drinking. Cheers to you, Finland! (I voted for you! ;))

PS. Though I'm slightly unnerved by someone's comment on how the ESC "gives countries the chance to express their deep culture"... bunch of Europeans might now suddenly think you're all like that. ;)

...you're not all like that, are you...? :P

Sad Jari

« Reply #26 on: 2006-05-22 08:36:16 »
PS. Though I'm slightly unnerved by someone's comment on how the ESC "gives countries the chance to express their deep culture"... bunch of Europeans might now suddenly think you're all like that. ;)

...you're not all like that, are you...? :P

Grarrr!

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006-05-22 10:25:37 »
Argh. 5 minutes ago I discovered why we didn't make it to the finals....the metalgods have punished our contenders. And right they were.

If you hold Metallica close to your heart, then don't click...

Link...

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006-05-22 10:31:45 »
Pff Metallica :/  Hate em..

Ill still see them at download though >_>

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006-05-22 10:40:07 »
Pff Metallica :/  Hate em..

They're not my favourite band at all either. Got a couple of good songs, but that's about it.
For any true fan however this blasphemy.

spyrojyros_tail

« Reply #30 on: 2006-05-22 13:40:20 »
Heh, that photo was pretty funny. And yeah "death metal" was just the first thing that popped into my head to describe them. I was delighted that Finland won it, I was the only one cheering in my local while everyone else was disgusted. Funniest bit had to be when they handed Lordi flowers, classic.

Sad Jari

« Reply #32 on: 2006-05-22 16:45:37 »
For any true fan however this blasphemy.

Awww, I thought that it was nice. :-) Immediate Apocalyptica vibe.

Then again, I'm no true fan of Met-holier than you and your Napster-allica. Or fan at all. :-D

Besides, I seem to recall reading an interview of Lordi where he said that they had met girls of Treble - who had been really excited (about Lordi). Problem being that I've been searching for it for the last couple of hours and for the life of me I can't find it again. Might have been just a dream. :-P Anyway, if that was true, I think that metalgods might like them. :-)

Oh, OneJerusalem.com writes:

Speaking of the Finns, their ‘heavy metal’ version of The Rocky Mountain Horror Show was nothing less than absolutely disgusting. Many other countries, including Sweden, Germany and even Russia (which came in second) had much better songs than the Finns whose living in Lapland must be so boring that they have to go to these extremes to win a song contest. Their gyrations and bizarre costumes were so grotesque that any sane person can only wonder if the Continent of Europe is once again slipping back into the Dark Ages, like what occurred following the destruction of the Roman Empire by the Huns and Visigoths during the Fourth and Fifth Centuries C.E.

This entire scenario comes on the heels of what has been going in Iran, courtesy of their astute president Mahmoud Admadinejad, who recently proclaimed that Israel is a non legitimate country and therefore should be “wiped off the face of the map”. This almost happened last night in Athens, as it became obvious that no voting country was prepared to give Israel even the least bit of praise or consideration.

Not that Israel’s song would have won, but it would surely have finished in a much better position had these modern day ‘Huns’ not been out to assist Mr. Ahmadinejad in his plans. As the saying goes: today the Eurovision, tomorrow Kristalnacht!”

Israelis are too funny! Killing me...

Jedimark: Does your rating correlate with the pretty girl-factor?  :-P

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006-05-22 16:54:00 »
Jedimark: Does your rating correlate with the pretty girl-factor? :-P
I'm so shallow aren't I...

(But I certainly didn't choose the Bosnian song for the "prettiness factor")

No but seriously: I thought "Hey Loca" was quite a typical Eurovision song... pretty girl... a bit of a daft-jolly song... costume changes (why didn't she go further) and a catchy tune.

This pic is pretty funny:
« Last Edit: 2006-05-23 18:45:52 by Jedimark »

Sad Jari

« Reply #34 on: 2006-05-23 06:20:59 »
I have pictures too!  :-D

She's scarier than Lordi! :-o

EDIT: Resized the pics for much better modem friendliness. The originals are "borrowed" from here, if someone wants to snoop around (there's a lot of pics there): http://www.eurovisionathens.net/gallery/photogal/press/
« Last Edit: 2006-05-23 17:27:15 by Sad Jari »

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #35 on: 2006-05-23 07:11:14 »
Great shot of Vissi... you can almost see her thinking "you're ugly, but you're still much nicer than my last boyfriend". :roll:

She's scarier than Lordi! :-o
Hell yes. :-o Especially with that big ☧ on her shoulder, she's like Lordi's counterpart! (not saying who's on the side of good or evil, though... it's a relative thing :-D)
« Last Edit: 2006-05-23 07:13:07 by Qhimm »

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006-05-23 07:12:04 »
WTF is up with Treble, die please!
They said they lost because of, lemme quote it:
We're to pure for these things

What The Fuck!!??
And who the fuck is that old lady anyway? The mother of the other 2?
 =/

Sad Jari

« Reply #37 on: 2006-05-23 08:08:12 »
Great shot of Vissi... you can almost see her thinking "you're ugly, but you're still much nicer than my last boyfriend". :roll:
:lol:

I think that that's actually Turkey's Sibel Tüzün, though. :P

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #38 on: 2006-05-23 09:37:30 »
I think that that's actually Turkey's Sibel Tüzün, though. :P
Gosh, methinks you're right! Well in that case, my statement just lost most of its humor. :P

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006-05-25 02:05:28 »
Two more priceless pictures.

Lordi doing some shopping...

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006-05-25 06:56:06 »
I do beleive those are two of the greatest pictures known to man.

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006-05-25 20:01:21 »
Okay so I re-watched it all again tonight (sober this time).

The Bosnian entry was by far the best there I think. I love the song, got the Eurovision CD now aswell... best £8.95 ever!
I'm not saying I didn't think Lordi deserved to win, I think I just got a bit used to them.

I've been reading the lyrics to all the non-english songs... I'm seriously confused about what in the hell the Croations think when they write songs:

Tic-tac half past three
You will pinch me, not to be seen
Golden ring, tiny moustache
I know very well those like you

Ring, ring, you’ll ask for my number
knock, knock, knock to someone else
Little girl
wear your socks
because the grass has not grown
where my high heel has stepped in

Oi-da, da, oi da, da
oi da, da, da
my, my high heel

Pss, pss, go away to someone else
cupa, cupa, zumba, zumba
hay, straw, cheese, ham
the beet has grown, the beet has died
Africa, paprika

Another travesty: Google image search Natalia Gordienco and you get 0 results! What's all that about?

Fearne Cotton being as funny as ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if5XJRfVBPE&search=Eurovision
« Last Edit: 2006-05-25 21:08:25 by Jedimark »

Sad Jari

« Reply #42 on: 2006-05-25 20:25:16 »
Emerald Weapon: This raises the question: if you look like Lordi, do you have to pay? :P

I've been reading the lyrics to all the non-english songs... I'm seriously confused about what in the hell the Croations think when they write songs:
What? Are you saying that "Afrika, paprika" is not the greatest line ever? :D

I have a rather non-educated guess; the lyrics are purely meant to sound nice to someone who doesn't speak the language. Because most of the voters don't. Of course subtitles can somewhat ruin the idea.

Another travesty: Google image search Natalia Gordienco and you get 0 results! What's all that about?
Even Natalia Gordienko doesn't help much. :P Maybe it's a stage name? Might have something to do with Molvan... Moldova's internet penetration, too.

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006-06-01 15:31:26 »
Lordi-gate!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5034874.stm

... own up Jari... you were one of the 3 demonstrators weren't you!! ;)

Sad Jari

« Reply #44 on: 2006-06-01 20:46:28 »
Heh, sadly no. Unless I've recently turned into a woman. :-D All three were females, one of them a little kid.

I don't think that there ever was really supposed to be a demonstration, someone just had posted the idea in some forum and apparently our police has ears everywhere. :) There certainly was no official announcement of demonstration to the police.

But it was so great! Netroots activism made the gutter press apologize. :-D

Their webservers went down because of DoS' several times, their forums were spammed full of hate posts, their customer service received thousands of complaints (I sent one!), probably at least few hundred requests to clarify whether person X was in their direct marketing database (law requires them to reply swiftly) and many (that's their official comment) people cancelled their subscriptions.

Also email addresses, (work) phone numbers and photos of their staff were circulated amongst the crowd. They pulled them off their site pretty quickly... but of course it was too late by then. I suspect that they might have had to change their phone numbers too. :P And certainly they need a serious spam filters.

And in the end... the worst paper in Finland... gave in and apologized. In TV too. :-D

They don't even dare to sue anyone about the DoSsing! Police is investigating few illegal threats (as opposed to legal threats, I suppose :P), which most likely means that someone threatened them with violence. But that's it, and probably there won't be charges against those people either, since the law requires that the threat is credible.