Author Topic: Error: GL Out of Memory  (Read 9237 times)

gunblade88

Error: GL Out of Memory
« on: 2011-07-26 00:29:05 »
Yet another n00b question from me. It's more of a nuisance than anything, it's not hindering the game's ability to play. I get an error at the bottom of the screen in red text: "GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY" I'm guessing this has something to do with Millenia's Custom Cloud Weapon Models, because if the error runs for too long, the sword model just disappears.

It doesn't always disappear...sometimes the sword just flickers in and out and (with Ultimate Weapon) parts of the sword will flicker in and out. Was thinking maybe someone would be able to help out.

Thanks.

SymphoniC

• Mind hack.
    • View Profile
Re: Error: GL Out of Memory
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-26 00:39:07 »
How much VRAM does your graphics card have? If you know what kind of graphics card you have then you can find out.

gunblade88

« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-30 21:01:54 »
It's a Geforce G210M. Pretty sure it has 256 Mb of VRAM. I know that at one point during the mod process I read that doing something would load it all into your vram if you didn't configure it a certain way. I just can't seem to locate what I read.

SymphoniC

• Mind hack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-31 00:01:10 »
Try updating the drivers for you gfx card first.

gunblade88

« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-01 00:42:07 »
Well, I made sure the drivers were all good. Then I thought maybe I'm playing at too high of a resolution. (1680x1050) but I went lower (1024x768) and that wasn't the problem. I'm at a loss. My video card can run Mass Effect 2 at full video settings but not FF7 with a few mods. (of course I understand they have 2 completely different processes.)

And I really, really don't want to have to redo all the modding I've done.  :-\

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #5 on: 2013-07-26 13:52:16 »
I'm resurrecting this thread as it's an unresolved issue and still relevant.

So It's been said that aalis driver has a memory leak and that's the issue. Is that what's pushing it into a crash though or is it other factors? It was suggested that pbo and vbo could be the cause.
"ERROR: GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY"

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13212.msg202782#msg202782
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13212.msg203060#msg203060

On the other hand though it could be the exact opposite. They work fine and it's post processing.

This is worth discussing. I know for a fact cmh175 is on an Nvidia card. This GL out of memory thing is Nvidia related maybe? But in the second link Kompass posted, that guy says he had postprocessing on. Cmh you aren't running post-processing are you? My Radeon card will try to do it, says it's working, makes no improvement and drops my fps considerably if I also have Anti-Aliasing forced on.

Edit: Wow... OK yeah, I'm gonna put something about this in the FAQ. VBO and PBO should work perfectly on NVIDIA cards, even while using texture-caching. Post processing is not working right now, and it probably will cause a video related crash on either card.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:10:44 by Template »

I've gotten this a few times and I think I had all performance boosting options checked other than post processing since I disable the shading in the plugins tab. 1920x1080, full screen with preserve aspect ratio off as well. For anyone else experiencing this what are your settings in relation to mine?

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-07-26 18:13:04 »
It could also be something about VBO + texture chaching, which doesn't work for my Radeon; there are so many variables it's hard to test, especially since I have no Nvidia procs to work with. I agree with using the good old troubleshooting forum for stuff like this, and I think it was a worthwhile bump.

The bottom line is, if you are getting GL_OUT OF MEMORY errors, start turning off graphics enhancements in bootloader or ff7opengl.cfg. Post processing, VBO, PBO, texture caching, then work backwards and see when it starts to crash again. Annoying that it takes a while to make it crash....

Edit: Yes, based on known working settings provided by CleverNameHere, postprocessing can work fine on newer Nvidia procs, and PBO and VBO should be turned off. These newer cards are so fast that driver speed tricks are unnecessary.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-26 21:47:07 by Template »

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #7 on: 2013-07-26 18:17:32 »
I think the main difference between Nvidia and AMD as far as FF7 goes is the post processing shading effects. AMD does the Complex while Nvidia does HDR. I'm assuming the problem is PBO and VBO. I'm going to try disabling those and see if it comes up again.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-07-27 14:09:06 »
This is a problem with the current version of my driver, not related to PBO or VBO or what-have-you, its all about how much texture data your graphics driver is keeping in memory. Currently once a texture has been loaded from disk it will stay in memory forever and since FF7 is a 32-bit application it has less than 2GB of address space available (worst case) and you will hit that limit sooner or later if you're using some of the recent upscaling mods. Either disable mods that use a large number of big textures or restart FF7 if you're changing areas alot (thus loading more textures). The problem has already been fixed on my side so it wont be an issue in the next version.

Aluscia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-09-09 01:29:29 »
Based on that assertion (which makes a lot of sense, I figured it had something to do with texture loads), would texture compression help prolong the need to reload the game? Also, is there an ETA on the new driver? (No rush, just curious)

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-09-09 01:58:34 »
...is there an ETA on the new driver? ...
SHHHHHHHHHH!!! :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X