Author Topic: [PSX/PC] Field Importer/Exporter - PuPu (v2.1)  (Read 52830 times)

Omzy

• View Profile
Re: [REL] PuPu v2.1 - FF8 Field Importer/Exporter
« Reply #25 on: 2014-06-20 01:51:45 »
New version released, v2.1, see main post for download. This version corrected some of the bad memory leaks introduced in v2.0, but there are still memory leaks that I haven't figured out yet. If you're doing a bunch of files and you get the error "Missing import files...", the memory leak has become too bad to continue, so restart PuPu. I've tested it using multiple runs, however, and it works well enough to convert all files without too much hardship.

Yugisokubodai

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2014-06-25 17:17:08 »
I converted the field files with Pupu to png images, twisted them with an editor. But the problem is when I imported these edited png, It just saved a mapdata folder with png format (and somewhat distorted), not the game format.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 2014-06-25 17:24:53 »
It will look distorted (cut up into pieces) when you import them back. The PNGs you get go into the textures folder that is included with Tonberry. The folder format should be ff8\textures\xx\xxxxx\PNGs. For example, on scene may be ff8\textures\bc\bccent_1\bccent_1_0.png, bccent_1_1.png, bccent_1_2.png, etc...

TerriblyGrimm

• View Profile
Re: [FF8] Field Importer/Exporter - PuPu (v2.1)
« Reply #28 on: 2014-12-15 09:21:55 »
Hello, i've downloaded the latest build of PUPU and using Deling extracted the field folder from field.fs
( As i couldn't get unmass or garden to work but essentially this is the same outcome )

But everytime I open PUPU it doesn't show any list of files?
can anyone help me with this, I would like to re-render and edit by hand using Photoshop CS-6 all the games textures

Ironmad

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2016-05-20 23:06:16 »
Anyone know if this program is dead or not? I have same problem as BffWithDEATH above me had. I used Unmass.

zwuw

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2016-11-18 00:08:54 »
I noticed some problems on my textures, especially banding, when I import them with Pupu:

ingame
http://imgur.com/a/PuPSG

texture(resized) :
http://imgur.com/a/7kWzq

The subtextures are ok but after Pupu converts them, I see the banding on tiles. If anyone has a solution for this please tell me. Thanks

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #31 on: 2016-11-18 07:13:21 »
I noticed some problems on my textures, especially banding, when I import them with Pupu:

ingame
http://imgur.com/a/PuPSG

texture(resized) :
http://imgur.com/a/7kWzq

The subtextures are ok but after Pupu converts them, I see the banding on tiles. If anyone has a solution for this please tell me. Thanks

Are you importing them directly back into the game?  The banding would be the difference in bitrates between your file and what ff8 can handle.

You should test your texture in Tonberry and see if it looks like the one you created without the banding.

zwuw

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2016-11-18 13:00:55 »
Yes, I loaded the backgrounds(1280x896) with Tonberry and this problem happens to all of them, although bggate_5 banding is more noticeable. I also noticed the same problem on Eden's backgrounds. The problem really appears when Pupu converts the subtextures, I don't know if that conversion/gamma handling is necessary for compatibility. Here are the subtextures, before and after Pupu conversion:

https://mega.nz/#!KhxmzB7a!-lCEjmth5cVDR_bPqKPymZEqv6ZMWZOrfT5krqwEzTc

Is there any way for me to replace directly my backgrounds(non-resized) with the original ones(on field.fs)  so I can check if banding still happens?

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2016-12-13 22:36:01 »
PuPu just pulls the bitstream exactly as it is in the archives and rearranges the tiles to match their proper coordinates. It doesn't at all influence any pixel values, so it is not the cause of banding--the original textures are. Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding the question.

Yagami Light

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2017-01-26 11:14:08 »
Pupu seems to limit the files to 8 bit when importing them into the readable game files, which makes no sense since we are using external textures, there should be no limit. If I export, import then upscale them there is no banding, but they appear black in game. If I export, upscale each file individually they look fine, but the moment I import them you get really bad banding and it just ruins the whole picture.

EDIT: Managed to fix the banding by importing the original and upscaling it using 8 bit mode, though the tile lines show up and I dont know how to get rid of them.

« Last Edit: 2017-01-26 15:57:34 by Yagami Light »

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #35 on: 2017-01-26 18:22:06 »
Pupu seems to limit the files to 8 bit when importing them into the readable game files, which makes no sense since we are using external textures, there should be no limit. If I export, import then upscale them there is no banding, but they appear black in game. If I export, upscale each file individually they look fine, but the moment I import them you get really bad banding and it just ruins the whole picture.

EDIT: Managed to fix the banding by importing the original and upscaling it using 8 bit mode, though the tile lines show up and I dont know how to get rid of them.

Yes, upscaling the already cut textures will get rid of banding. Downside is... Upscaling them with waifu alters the lines/segments in the textures. Making them noticeably visible. The only way around this for me is to combine the textures, which gives a more accurate upscale, run them through Pupu, then use upscaled alpha channels to get rid of the excess from the textures. This is how I've been doing it. But it takes considerably longer and you'd still have to use Pupu. :P

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2017-01-26 18:45:49 »
These are the kinds of bands you expect to see when you upscale a texture before it is reassembled into its layers. It almost looks like you used the raw textures from the archives. You must properly export the textures using PuPu to get the layers, up scaling this way won't work. This is simply an artifact of up scaling and doesn't really have anything to do with PuPu. PuPu can perform the original export and assembly, you do your magic, then reimport and it deassembles back into blocks.

Yagami Light

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2017-01-26 19:59:25 »
Right I exported/imported the original low res textures to get the tile format texture then upscaled them. Cause if I export then upscale them, they look fine, but when I import using Pupu it causes banding and looks completely different from the textures I had before. Only upside if there is no tile seams. I just want to know why this happens and if it can be fixed.

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2017-01-26 20:46:08 »
This is the reasoning behind facepalmer and project eden scripts. The entire scene must be composed before resize is performed for each individual animation or you will get bending wherever 2 blocks come together on the original texture.  This is why upscale with this method is extremely tedious without a powerful script. Look into the project eden script code. Can anyone else elaborate on the explanation here? I'm busy at work

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #39 on: 2017-02-01 15:04:00 »
This is the reasoning behind facepalmer and project eden scripts. The entire scene must be composed before resize is performed for each individual animation or you will get bending wherever 2 blocks come together on the original texture.  This is why upscale with this method is extremely tedious without a powerful script. Look into the project eden script code. Can anyone else elaborate on the explanation here? I'm busy at work

Hey Omar, I think he's saying that when he imports his texture using PuPu, it creates color 'banding'.  The 'border' issue he was having was because he was trying to go around the issue, and it didn't fix it.

If you look at the last couple of images he posted above, the texture looks great, but after he PuPu's it for import, look at the banding in the colors (noticeable in the bluish area the best).  He wants to know why this happens and what the issue might be?

The 'borders' that he had were only because he was upscaling the file directly without using PuPu for re-alignment because he was trying to get around the 'color-banding' issue that PuPu seems to create for him.

Does PuPu convert the image to 16 or 24 bit by chance, instead of 32?  This would create an issue, as there wouldn't be enough bits for the alpha channel, and it might crush the color information in 'conversion'
« Last Edit: 2017-02-01 15:07:23 by Mcindus »

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2017-02-01 15:11:38 »
Ahh, ok sorry for the misunderstanding. I'll try to dig up the source code and post it here after work. I recall it being a fairly simple program, if anyone wants to dig into it and improve it it would probably be pretty easy.

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2017-02-08 00:57:32 »
Sorry for the delay, here is the source code if anyone is interested in improving this program: -- See link in later post

It uses visual studio, if I recall its a fairly simple program so shouldnt be too hard to dig into if you have some basic programming knowledge.
« Last Edit: 2017-03-12 17:58:14 by Omzy »

zwuw

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2017-03-04 08:16:59 »
Thank you for providing the source code for the program.

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2017-03-12 05:13:26 »
Sorry again! I uploaded the wrong version as zwuw let me know. Here is the most recent version -- PuPu_v2.1

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
Re: [PSX/PC] Field Importer/Exporter - PuPu (v2.1)
« Reply #44 on: 2019-05-22 18:58:22 »
*Fixed null reference at listbox selectedItem=null
*Fixed unwanted conversion from ARGB8888 (32bpp) to ARGB1555 (16bpp) resulting in loss of colour

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yr8Lw_wFBzuqPOV-TqfGAcwbXTHLtPwI/view?usp=sharing

aaiki14

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2020-04-24 08:16:34 »
Hello, i've downloaded the latest build of PUPU and using Deling extracted the field folder from field.fs
( As i couldn't get unmass or garden to work but essentially this is the same outcome )

But everytime I open PUPU it doesn't show any list of files?
can anyone help me with this, I would like to re-render and edit by hand using Photoshop CS-6 all the games textures

this happens to me too, how to solve this?

Yagami Light

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2020-04-24 10:10:13 »
You need to use unmass two times, once for the initial field file and then for each individual field then you put pupu inside each individual FIELD folder to extract. For example

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\Data\lang-en\field\Data\eng\FIELD\mapdata\bc\bcmin2_1\Data\eng\FIELD

Dont put Pupu inside the first FIELD folder as that wont do anything.

« Last Edit: 2020-04-24 10:17:10 by Yagami Light »

aaiki14

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2020-04-26 11:47:01 »
Thanks Light! it helps
now i'm dealing with transparency, so it won't have any jagged transparency, but it's not perfect

Yagami Light

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2022-02-27 17:06:28 »
Does anyone have a working link of just the program with the banding fix? Cant compile because visual studio gives lots of errors.

BlazeFlames

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2024-03-18 14:15:41 »
Link is broken. Where can I find Pupu 2.1 or higher?