Author Topic: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)  (Read 704042 times)

TorrinF

• View Profile
Re: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)
« Reply #1225 on: 2019-09-28 10:22:29 »
Basically, that means it'll work for PSX modding too since they can be injected into a disc image without rearranging file locations. The prog comes with a basic readme as well that should explain how to use it.
[/quote]

So i've been messing with the tool trying to edit the KERNEL.BIN that i extracted from a PSX image and i can get wallmarket to make the changes on that file but hen i try to add it back the LBA's in the image get rearranged and i cant figure out how to prevent that. Whenever i try and Mount the iso im getting a "file corrupt" error so that's complicating matters too.

this is my first foray into modding on something and Any help would be appreciated

Ty_JY

• View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: 2019-12-26 06:23:45 »
Wallmarket download link is down can someone please replace it?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1227 on: 2019-12-26 22:36:56 »
There’s one on media fire that’s linked to from the blog. Use that link for now

Ty_JY

• View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: 2019-12-27 00:43:05 »
Sorry I must've been distracted or something... I really should've just tried the 2nd link in the OP. Only the first one is dead

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1229 on: 2020-01-02 12:30:58 »
The max is 3F? That is dumb. I'll look into it. Thanks

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1230 on: 2020-01-02 14:54:16 »
tbh... it's a joke that the inner bar isn't been calculated on the fly...  that it has a separate var is ridiculous.
Kind of yes and kind of no. I can easily imagine that it takes a toll on processing power on the PSX's part to calculate a percentage of needed EXP each time the menu is loaded for each character. It might have created a delay that the development team wasn't willing to accept and just made it calculate it at the end of every battle when a lot of background calculations were happening anyway. It might have been overcome at some point and adjusting it to calculate on the fly never got reexamined.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1231 on: 2020-01-02 18:30:38 »
Actually, the max is 3D. That's even more bizarre. Maybe the gauge is 61 pixels long.

Starting at 0x5C766A and ending at 0x5C76AB. That's definitely limiting the needed exp bar value to 3D.
« Last Edit: 2020-01-03 11:51:17 by NFITC1 »

NonagonGoron

• View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: 2020-02-26 20:05:50 »
This tool is very nice, and I've used it to change the names that my friend pointed out to me that were different than recurring names in the series (Like Fire2, Bolt2, etc.). My friend asked me how to get it to work on emulator (ePSXe), and I realized that not even I knew. I tried to find help from the forum, but no matter what method I tried or programs I used, the game would never load.  :(

If anyone has clear directions on what program(s) I need to use to go from my edited KERNEL.BIN all the way to the actual game file, that'd be much appreciated!  :)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: 2020-02-26 22:35:56 »
This tool is very nice, and I've used it to change the names that my friend pointed out to me that were different than recurring names in the series (Like Fire2, Bolt2, etc.). My friend asked me how to get it to work on emulator (ePSXe), and I realized that not even I knew. I tried to find help from the forum, but no matter what method I tried or programs I used, the game would never load.  :(

If anyone has clear directions on what program(s) I need to use to go from my edited KERNEL.BIN all the way to the actual game file, that'd be much appreciated!  :)

First off, the PSX Kernel is almost like the PC kernel except that it keeps the text strings all in one file instead of keeping them in a separate kernel2.bin file. Wall Market works with both though; just make sure it's in PSX mode when editing the extracted PSX kernel.

You need to get a tool like CDMage to extract the Kernel first; this version should do the trick:
https://mega.nz/#!fsU1RYQK!v_FTaA8IuyKHgdL1XDwwzuyJ7fMPs3CH3R-xEHlOr54

Open your disc as a Track M2 (2nd option) rather than the default M1 track. This should load the disc + its files properly. Click into the disc's file structure and look for the INIT folder. Right click on the Kernel.bin inside and extract it to desktop (by default it will try to extract to temporary file folders, make sure to specify somewhere you can easily find it like desktop).

Make your changes to the kernel using wall market tool. Try to keep your file size smaller than the original if possible (as in, by using less text overall; you can try shortening some text here and there to ensure that it does). This is because when we import it back into the disc, it needs to fit in there. It's OK for it to be smaller but can be a hassle if it's larger.

Open the disc again in CDMage (M2 track as before) and go back to the INIT folder. Right-click the KERNEL file and select import, and put your modified kernel in. If it's smaller, it'll ask if you want to pad the file with 00s; confirm and should be ready to go.

If your modified kernel is unavoidably larger, then there's a patch that can be applied to the disc that moves the scene/kernel to a new location with no size limitations:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11541.0

NonagonGoron

• View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: 2020-02-26 23:07:27 »
First off, the PSX Kernel is almost like the PC kernel except that it keeps the text strings all in one file instead of keeping them in a separate kernel2.bin file. Wall Market works with both though; just make sure it's in PSX mode when editing the extracted PSX kernel.

You need to get a tool like CDMage to extract the Kernel first; this version should do the trick:
https://mega.nz/#!fsU1RYQK!v_FTaA8IuyKHgdL1XDwwzuyJ7fMPs3CH3R-xEHlOr54

Open your disc as a Track M2 (2nd option) rather than the default M1 track. This should load the disc + its files properly. Click into the disc's file structure and look for the INIT folder. Right click on the Kernel.bin inside and extract it to desktop (by default it will try to extract to temporary file folders, make sure to specify somewhere you can easily find it like desktop).

Make your changes to the kernel using wall market tool. Try to keep your file size smaller than the original if possible (as in, by using less text overall; you can try shortening some text here and there to ensure that it does). This is because when we import it back into the disc, it needs to fit in there. It's OK for it to be smaller but can be a hassle if it's larger.

Open the disc again in CDMage (M2 track as before) and go back to the INIT folder. Right-click the KERNEL file and select import, and put your modified kernel in. If it's smaller, it'll ask if you want to pad the file with 00s; confirm and should be ready to go.

If your modified kernel is unavoidably larger, then there's a patch that can be applied to the disc that moves the scene/kernel to a new location with no size limitations:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11541.0
Woah! Thank you for the swift and helpful reply! I did what you said, and yup, the game is running fine (on ePSXe at least), now with Cura, Fira, and so forth!
I did add more letters to attack names and whatnot than remove them, but the game seems to be running just fine. If I have any more questions, I won't hesitate to ask.
Seriously, though! I feel so much more energized, I may just start a personal translation project! Thanks!  :lol:

Bakura

• View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: 2020-03-23 20:29:30 »
Hello!

As I'm not sure if my NFITC1 mail went well, I'm posting my message here! Sorry for my english which is far from perfect. x)

First of all I wanted to thank him for his great work on WallMarket and ProudClod, these two tools are really great and have been an incredible help for FFVII modding.

I have a question about these tools and more precisely this subject: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8195.0

Do we know today what is the basic value of summons animation id on PC? I'd like to turn an enemy attack into a summon but for the moment without this information it's quite complicated. I only get crashes or soft locks... ><'

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1236 on: 2020-03-24 14:37:04 »
Welcome Bakura!

I don't check the email on my account very often so I'm sorry if I missed a message you sent.

As the PC version goes, you cannot dummy an enemy action to look like a summon. The value required for that would be at least 16Eh just to get to Choco/Mog's action. That's at two bytes long and the animation IDs can only be one. Limits might be able to look like a summon, but WallMarket and ProudClod cannot and will not modify limits.

Bakura

• View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: 2020-03-24 21:45:46 »
Thank you NFITC1! I've been following some of the topics on this forum since a long time but I've never needed to ask questions that I couldn't find answers to... until now. Also it's ok for the mail, I had sent it only a few hours before I decided to post here. x)

I was afraid of an answer like that, and it's bad news... Well, if it's not possible with WM I don't think I'll insist. At least it works with magic materias, it's better than nothing.

Thanks again! ^^

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1238 on: 2020-03-30 14:20:55 »
Not exactly. EA FF FF IS the Character Name variable. I believe FF FF had some function at one time as all the substitution texts have that padding. If you substitute EA with other things you get other results. I believe it actually points to meta data that gets translated and EA is "Name of playable actor that invoked text". It only works in the Marquee, however, so you can't change item names/descriptions to dynamically indicate player ownership like who gets what limit manual (a plague on first-time players).

As for the final fight, it has its own custom code that does a lot of interesting things. The biggest issue is that the battle formation itself increases all party actors' limit gauges so when the function at 0x4320AC gets called around 0x43244A it flags all the party for breaking limits and queues the marquee appropriately. It never checks if there actually IS an actor in that slot so it just displays them all.

Cloud’s Stripe

• View Profile
[PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)
« Reply #1239 on: 2020-04-13 13:44:53 »
Hello, I am not able to make Wallmarket PC work (since I went from RO5c to RO6d). I clean installed FFVII (steam) along RO6d in its default setting (without character model overhaul & menus). I didn’t add any other mods before using WM.
Wallmarket only seems to function as before (MS.NET FW 4.7 & Visual B.P.P. 3.0 are installed, zlib1.dll is present, the kernel.bin file is located & updated after editing & creating the kernel.bin through WM.exe) but no changes (visual, nor stats) appear ingame.

edit: I was updating the kernel.bin file in the data folder as before, but found and edited the kernel in RO6 New Translation folder. Everything works, love it all, thanks again for the great stuff! As you were x
« Last Edit: 2020-04-20 09:54:26 by Cloud’s Stripe »

anxietymafia

• View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: 2020-04-20 06:28:40 »
Does anyone know where the text for the battle area is stored?
I'm working on a personal translation and cannot find where "Off course!" and "No, way!" is stored to correct.

usb

• View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: 2020-04-20 16:02:32 »
Does anyone know where the text for the battle area is stored?
I'm working on a personal translation and cannot find where "Off course!" and "No, way!" is stored to correct.

they are in ff7.exe (or ff7_en.exe)... in the exe you can find a lot of menu entries and the shop buy sell exit
Other text in Battle (character speech, rnemy name and Attack name) are in scene.bin
In kernel2.bin item name and description, Battle command text
« Last Edit: 2020-04-20 17:13:29 by usb »

Meical

• View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: 2020-05-05 16:50:07 »
I can't figure out how to get the program to run.  I've extracted the files and tried double clicking the exe.  I've tried to drag the kernel.bin over top the exe, nothing has worked.  I've been using the GUI version.

EDIT: Never mind, turns out I can't read.
« Last Edit: 2020-05-05 17:11:46 by Meical »

Richard Rahl

• View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: 2020-06-16 15:22:57 »
im attempting to change the spell name format from the fira/aga to the numbered fire1,2,3. the only mods i have installed are gjoerulv's hardcore mod which among many other changes, changed the name type to the ff8 and later a/aga. i learned of this program through a google search and someone asking the same question i had in a steam forum and the answer was the wallmarket program.

in the attack tab i attempted to click on the PSX button on the bottom which seemed to swap the spell names to the numbered format, and then checked the update text and hit file>create kernel.bin. when i do this though a warning message pops up telling me that the kernel is too large, 22558 bytes when only 22528 are allowed. i hit yes to continue anyways, but when launching the game the spell names arnt changed. how do i accomplish this, or am i attempting to use the wrong program to mess with the spell names?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: 2020-06-16 18:08:50 »
im attempting to change the spell name format from the fira/aga to the numbered fire1,2,3. the only mods i have installed are gjoerulv's hardcore mod which among many other changes, changed the name type to the ff8 and later a/aga. i learned of this program through a google search and someone asking the same question i had in a steam forum and the answer was the wallmarket program.

in the attack tab i attempted to click on the PSX button on the bottom which seemed to swap the spell names to the numbered format, and then checked the update text and hit file>create kernel.bin. when i do this though a warning message pops up telling me that the kernel is too large, 22558 bytes when only 22528 are allowed. i hit yes to continue anyways, but when launching the game the spell names arnt changed. how do i accomplish this, or am i attempting to use the wrong program to mess with the spell names?

Here's what's happened; the Kernel for PC has all the spell names, text, etc. stored within itself like the PSX Kernel. However, the PC Kernel actually ignores this text and instead reads it from a separate file called Kernel2.bin. That's why you're able to edit the text of a PC kernel using the PSX option, but it won't actually show up in game because the PC version will read the unaltered kernel2.bin.

To modify the PC kernel text, make sure the tool is set to PC and not PSX. And make sure that a kernel2.bin is sitting in the same folder as the Kernel.bin you're editing (otherwise the tool will only allow PSX mode editing).

Side note, this thing you're doing is the exact thing that got me into modding to start with. It all kind of snowballed from there.

Richard Rahl

• View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: 2020-06-17 08:42:08 »
i figured it out just by messing with the program over and over. eventually i tried double clicking the spell name and it opened a small new window where i could edit its name and description. felt kinda foolish when i saw that. i was really expecting it to have its own rename box like it handled the summon attack names, battle text, or key item text. but yeah i ended up using the create kernel.bin 1 and 2 and it seemed to keep the additions.

now im just trying to figure out how to remove functionality from the mega-all but thats a different topic i started in troubleshooting.

FinalFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: 2020-06-17 20:58:38 »
Hello, I'm pretty new to this and have minimal experience in modding, but I'm trying to use this WallMarket tool on a burned copy of the PSX FFVII that I physically have. I've downloaded the necessary requirements and made sure I am running Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and running Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0, but when I run the WM application and attempt to open a .bin file, I receive an error:

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click quit, the application will close immediately.

Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow"

If I choose to Continue, the same error occurs if I click on any tab such as Materia or Weapon. It doesn't list anything in such tabs either so maybe I'm not loading the correct bin file?

This might be a Windows 10 issue, but the one solution I found and followed did nothing to solve it and I'm still receiving the same error. I was wondering if anyone could at least point me in the right direction to fix this? Here is the debug log if it helps:
Code: [Select]
************** Exception Text **************
System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
   at WallMarket.Form1.GUnZip(Byte[]& byteCompressed)
   at WallMarket.Form1.SeparateFiles()
   at WallMarket.Form1.Open_KERNEL(Char kernel)
   at WallMarket.Form1.OpenKERNELBINToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at WallMarket.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Thanks for any assistance!

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1247 on: 2020-06-18 12:16:23 »
The ONLY file you should open is the KERNEL.BIN in the INIT folder.

FinalFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: 2020-06-18 12:58:46 »
The ONLY file you should open is the KERNEL.BIN in the INIT folder.
So only KERNEL.BIN, even for PSX? I burned my 3 physical disc copies of FFVII for PSone and I don’t have that file, or folder. It seems no matter which version of PSX FFVII I try, there’s no KERNEL.BIN. I’ve tried downloading an ISO, both online and as a PSone classic directly from PS store; I’ve tried converting the physical discs...I never encounter KERNEL.BIN.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1249 on: 2020-06-18 13:47:12 »
Yup. If you're able to play the game you have that file. This file exists on all versions in the same location. You won't likely get it from the downloaded PS store edition without some unpacking which I'm not qualified to walk you through.