Author Topic: SOLVED: Hello all... care to help please?  (Read 6715 times)

nightwish

SOLVED: Hello all... care to help please?
« on: 2005-06-11 17:40:53 »
First off, hello all, thanks for having a cool forum that gives support to a cool old game.

Later..... well, here's the story so you can get an idea.
I bought FF7 long ago (no, its not illegal btw, just read that sticky) and played it happily for like, 2 days without even blinking I guess (back in the time, I had an old Pentium II mmx running at 322 mhz and a cheap ATI card that came integrated on the mobo.
The game ran smoothly up until Disc 2, when I reached the Highwind FMV, the movie looks cool and all, but right in the middle the game crashes and there's nothing I can do about it.
Later on, I bought a new computer, it had more video power this time, but still windows 98SE, I reached that part of the game again, biting my nails when it reached that crashing part just to happily see the movie went on and I could continue playing it, that was the first time I finished it he he

Later, that computer suffered modifications and upgrades, included more video, winXP etc etc etc

I didnt try to play it since I was entertained around that time with FF8, but now, I tried installing on XP (with XP patch and everything available to fix problems)  just to see it crashes all of a sudden at random places, not the usual parts posted all over the web, like just walking to the reactor entrance in the beginning, I could never get past that part, or even reach the save point.

So...... (Im almost finished I promise) I took that old compaq out of the closet (the one I used in the first place long ago) and thinking that maybe all the new patches around would help me out a bit. But nope, I just got to that same part right now and it still crashes after isntalling almost every patch available (btw, Im still on win 98 on that compaq)

So, thing is... how can I try get around it? I mean, it wont run on XP and nobody does patches or FAQs for win 98 :-(

I was thinking I could just install it on my XP computer, patch it and try to pass that section using the win98 save game, but as you may know, the last save point before that movie is like, 40 minutes worth of story before, so that means my XP pc would easily crash during those 40 minutes without even reaching the next save point.

There, I finished...
Can anyone suggest someting? Help me or anything like that?
I can upload the save game to my site so you can check it (must warn you, I used Jenova he he he, I just wanted to replay the game, sotry and all, basically revive the story, not the fights)

Thanks all for reading! Hope youc an help out :-(
« Last Edit: 2012-01-28 14:17:42 by Bosola »

corpse

• View Profile
Hello all... care to help please?
« Reply #1 on: 2005-06-11 17:58:48 »
To fix Winxp random crashes:

Back up any saves you may have
uninstall the game
reinstall
download this patch:
http://aaronserv.dyndns.org/hosting/ffsf/downloads/ff7_1.02.zip
only copy the ff7config do you ff7 dir, not ff7 exe

It should now work. Also what graphics card do you have?

nightwish

« Reply #2 on: 2005-06-11 18:53:52 »
Already downloaded those and still not working, but I gave up on playing it on the XP computer.
I use an nVidia GeForce FX 5200 ultra on the XP machine btw.

Wha tI want is just to play it on the old computer I got out of retirement, where it runs great, up to that little crash it has on the temple part.
The movie plays ok on wmp on that win 98 computer, its in the game when it crashes.

Perhaps somone can pleeeeeease just go through all that long story part to save on the next checkpoint for me pleeeeeeeeease!!!!   :oops:

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005-06-11 21:07:48 »
mmm... did you tried runnig the game with the movies copied in the HD? Maybe this could help.
Also, about the XP crash, are you running the game under the compatibility mode?

nightwish

« Reply #4 on: 2005-06-11 23:39:20 »
I was thinking bout copying those movies to my HD, I hope it helps but how do I do that? I mean, yeah I copy them and its all good, but, wont the game try to read thsoe from the CD? How do I tell the game the new target?

And yes, I ran the game on compatibility and normal modes, still no luck :(

Thanks for the replies

Starlith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005-06-12 00:25:20 »
Extract the movies somewhere on your hard drive and go to run and type in regedit then ok.

Follow this path >  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Square Soft,Inc/Final Fantasy VII

Look to the window on the right and you'll see [DataDrive]

Right click on [DataDrive] then click <modify>

Underneath value data just type in the path where you extracted your movies to.

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
« Reply #6 on: 2005-06-12 02:14:40 »
http://forums.qhimm.com/viewtopic.php?t=4142

Read that.

I will upload the file to yousendit and you can ownload it here. BTW, when you ask a favor like that, its best to give everyone your latest possible save. I'm sorry, but you will just have to live with reno-reds stats for now, unless you post your save at yousendit.com and give me the link.

nightwish

« Reply #7 on: 2005-06-12 02:44:57 »
Thanks, will try both things.

And the saved game is already up, link is here

Its the first one out of the 4 (other 3 are for the Date at the Gold Sauce in case you want to see :p 2nd one makes you go out on a date with barret, 3rd onw with tifa, 4th one with Yufie)

nightwish

« Reply #8 on: 2005-06-12 02:50:04 »
lol just read your request on the other thread......
I support that request of getting your warning removed, thanks for the help! Now I can keep playing thanks to you dude!!! thaaaaaaaaanks!!!

Oh btw.... just noticed I had a click mistake and posted in the wrong part of the forum. Sorry bout that  :oops:

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
« Reply #9 on: 2005-06-12 19:46:14 »
Oh, ok, I will probably do that, when I have a little time... Check back in 1-2 days or so... I'll post the link