Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3026893 times)

Wiseman

• View Profile
Green Goblin was the one responsible for the previous PSX port of the Reunion. He said he was interested in porting R06 too.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
The link works. Their forum was down earlier.

Mabinog

• View Profile
> "Imminent"

Here we go!

Sesquipedal

• View Profile
I'm stoked to play!  Shame the Difficulty side of the mod won't be completed, but as stated it's a very very time consuming and tedious process.  I've tried other difficulty hacks and all miss the point of making it more difficult but keeping it professional in terms of display, logic etc.  None the less thank you DLPB for making all the effort you have.

On a side note:  I'll be happy to see if 7th heaven goes down.  Not becasue I hate it, but because it's convoluted and made from way back when ff7 modding was new and misunderstood. Having a new framework from which people can implement new mods would be exciting. 

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
On a side note:  I'll be happy to see if 7th heaven goes down.  Not becasue I hate it, but because it's convoluted and made from way back when ff7 modding was new and misunderstood. Having a new framework from which people can implement new mods would be exciting. 

Many people have spent years and endless hours working on all that exists for it. Your personal happiness doesn't make the decision to just give it up and throw it all away. They will both exist, for now, and it's the user's decision what they want to choose.

AuthenticM

• View Profile
I'm stoked to play!  Shame the Difficulty side of the mod won't be completed, but as stated it's a very very time consuming and tedious process.  I've tried other difficulty hacks and all miss the point of making it more difficult but keeping it professional in terms of display, logic etc.  None the less thank you DLPB for making all the effort you have.

Are you saying that The Reunion R06 could be used to make it easier to install other mods, somehow?

Ashpey

• View Profile
Are you saying that The Reunion R06 could be used to make it easier to install other mods, somehow?

It seems there will be a new way to use mods with R06, but we don't know much about it so far. As of right now and for at least a few minutes/hours more, 7th Heaven is still the best FF7 modding tool released ;)

Wiseman

• View Profile
R06 will be a new modding solution for the game according to DLPB.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
There will be times when 7h is needed and certainly some mods will demand it.  I'm just hoping that we can finally do away with some of the confusion and inconsistency.  I regret my earlier comment at wanting to kill off 7h and I apologize for it.  I respect the time and effort placed into it.  I just find it to be a problem overall despite best intentions.  In cases where mods require 7h or where Reunion fails to bridge a gap, people will always have the option to use 7h.  Reunion won't impede it. 

We'll have to see what happens.  I have no idea how it will all be received, but for my own purposes - and from what SC has told me from his test run - signs look promising.

I'm afraid we've hit a small snag tonight, which really irritates me.  I am awaiting Kal's fixed models [a bug turned up with his newest] and the odd fix to menu code.  But this will be released any hour now, so keep your eyes peeled.
« Last Edit: 2019-10-29 01:19:54 by DLPB »

Sesquipedal

• View Profile
Many people have spent years and endless hours working on all that exists for it. Your personal happiness doesn't make the decision to just give it up and throw it all away. They will both exist, for now, and it's the user's decision what they want to choose.

Fair point - I do think it's time for a new way to implement mods though.  It's not like all your and others hard work will be erased -- I don't think anyone working on Reunion can say they didn't learn and have been inspired by 7H. 

benjaminw6633

• View Profile
Is there any update? I don't mean to be impatient and I hope you don't take it that way. I appreciate the hard work.

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
DLPB worked himself to illness, but it'll be released soon. I'm guessing there's not a super a lot to do, but if your sick, that "Not super a lot to do." turns into, "Uuuuugggghhhhhh."

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Well, a few problems come from my side. I changed the models for the soldiers, but due to my very rare time I can spare I did a very sloppy job, which leaded to some problems. Though, I think we will play some trick or treat and see if you will get some sweetie.  :evil:

benjaminw6633

• View Profile
DLPB worked himself to illness, but it'll be released soon. I'm guessing there's not a super a lot to do, but if your sick, that "Not super a lot to do." turns into, "Uuuuugggghhhhhh."
That I am sorry to hear, I can wait a few days longer, get well soon DLPB!

Salk

• View Profile
It seems it's just an unlucky combination of two negative factors (DLPB being sick and kaldarsha a bit delayed) which may delay the release a little further.

DLPB said that deadlines help getting him into a modding frenzy and be more productive so in that sense they can be an "internal" asset but on the other hand they make him lose credibility because they are punctually missed, often by quite a margin.

Personally I believe the benefit outweighs the negative so I say: keep motivating yourself using deadlines even in the future, Dan, because we all win when your passion for your project keeps burning bright.
« Last Edit: 2019-10-30 04:29:57 by Salk »

basmith7

• View Profile
You might wanna look into a shorter release cycle so updates don't get so big.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
You might wanna look into a shorter release cycle so updates don't get so big.

That's the plan after this one (to have R06b/c/d).  It will also be mandatory as there will be a lot of bugs.  This release demanded a complete overhaul.

There is no easy way to create a modding framework and replace an audio engine.

R07 will be released as a smaller overhaul.
« Last Edit: 2019-10-30 13:41:37 by DLPB »

kalathi

• View Profile
Hello :3 Long time lurker, but only just registered. Looking forward to trying out the new release! Sorry you're not feeling good, DLPB. Get well soon and thank you for all your hard work on this! :)

benjaminw6633

• View Profile
That's the plan after this one (to have R06b/c/d).  It will also be mandatory as there will be a lot of bugs.  This release demanded a complete overhaul.

There is no easy way to create a modding framework and replace an audio engine.

R07 will be released as a smaller overhaul.

Could you use a tester? I work as a software tester so could maybe lend a few hours of my spare time to the project

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Everyone's gonna be a tester when it's released.  I've done all I can and one more individual won't help.  When it's out, there will be a period where I'm sure a ton of issues will be raised.  I'll welcome any and all input.

There are some last minute problems cropping up along with my illness which are impeding release. Not to mention having to waste my time with the numpty in the other thread.

Devinicus

• View Profile
Hi, I've been watching this play out for about a month now and wanna throw in my 2 cents on "numpty" now that the other thread has been locked: Not DLPB(cactusjack901) is my hero currently.

I've been wanting to revisit FF7 with the translation patch since October started, but I just happened to stumble in as things went into flux. It has been pretty frustrating seeing multiple self-set deadlines pass, even more so when I can't even resort to the last released build.

The imposter DLPB provided a download, I've got the game setup, finally I can play. Dude was straight-up the answer to my prayers after Monday came and went yet again, and I genuinely appreciate the service provided.

I don't understand the outrage about the picture and what not. It seemed pretty tongue & cheek, and as someone who sort-of shares cactusjack's sentiments about this ordeal I found it pretty funny. Seems like someone taking the piss out the situation was inevitable after the numerous delays.

Panzeroceania

• View Profile
It may sound like a silly question. But which versions of which Operating Systems are currently supported?

example

Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows ME
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8.0
Windows 8.1
Windows 10 1507
Windows 10 1511
Windows 10 1607
Windows 10 1703
Windows 10 1709
Windows 10 1803
Windows 10 1809
Windows 10 1903
Windows 10 1909

No need to be exhaustive. I'm more just looking for what the expected, or targeted OS version is. This way I can use that OS version when testing, after the project update is released.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
There's no way for me to know the answer to that.  But it should work on all Win versions XP onwards.

@Devinicus not interested in sock puppets or friends of his. You also have no understanding of the situation or that this isn't the first time he's been a troll to me and others.  Kindly stay out of it and stop trying to add fuel to the fire.

Do you actually want me to finish this?  Or would you rather I continue dying of a cold and responding to posts like yours?
« Last Edit: 2019-10-30 21:18:44 by DLPB »

ReasonablePerson

• View Profile
Do you actually want me to finish this?  Or would you rather I continue dying of a cold and responding to posts like yours?
That's your problem dude. You don't know when to leave things be and just ignore people. No one is forcing you to check this thread constantly.

Devinicus

• View Profile
I'm just saying, maybe don't take the download down while the new one is still vaporware man.