Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3007917 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98-Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R02b)
« Reply #850 on: 2015-02-15 09:31:59 »
The readme also notes that is the filename  :P  Always check the readme.

And make sure that your exe really is the English version.  Then again, it will fail if the filesize doesn't match.

AceClover

• View Profile
« Reply #851 on: 2015-02-15 09:37:53 »
There was no readme just the installer :o. Anyway the translation is working now. It's seems like after changing the language Steam forget to rename the .exe.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: 2015-02-15 09:39:45 »
The readme is part of the installer...  the license page.  In future I'm def putting it separate also ;)

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #853 on: 2015-02-15 12:46:22 »
Learned also doesn't really do it justice... they aren't really learning a technique... they are devising / creating.  Although learned may work.  I don't really see a big issue with devised. 

Devised to me gives the impression of coming up with something particularly elaborate (and the OED agrees). One might devise an evil scheme, a cunning plan or a contraption; it doesn't fit so well with a technique for punching someone especially hard or hitting them with a sword multiple times. It's not wrong, just doesn't seem to fit.

Unlock makes a certain amount of sense since you can use it to describe someone unlocking their potential: they can now do something they couldn't previously do (and doesn't necessarily imply it's a thing other people can do).

lupo_grigio

• View Profile
« Reply #854 on: 2015-02-15 12:49:15 »
The dl link definitely, unquestionably works. Unless Google docs is region biased or you are going through a wonky conflict zone ip on the tor network
I can download anything from google docs. Problem is that the link points to linkbucks, which claims the file doesn't exist. I really have no idea what causing this, my wild guess is that website region blocked my country.
I've been checking the link back and forth, tried to change IP, change browser, etc,... But nothing seem to work.
Really have no idea why only I have this problem. Sorry for the inconvience

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: 2015-02-15 12:51:00 »
Devised to me gives the impression of coming up with something particularly elaborate (and the OED agrees). One might devise an evil scheme, a cunning plan or a contraption; it doesn't fit so well with a technique for punching someone especially hard or hitting them with a sword multiple times. It's not wrong, just doesn't seem to fit.

Unlock makes a certain amount of sense since you can use it to describe someone unlocking their potential: they can now do something they couldn't previously do (and doesn't necessarily imply it's a thing other people can do).

The problem is the move itself is being devised...  it's not something that is being unlocked.  The characters are supposedly coming up with new methods of fighting... so it's a story element more than just a game element.

Nevertheless, I went on google and had a look about.  Devised does come up numerous times when talking about creating martial arts or moves.

« Last Edit: 2015-02-15 12:54:42 by DLPB »

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #856 on: 2015-02-15 12:53:55 »
Sure, if you're coming up with an entire martial art, devised makes more sense then: you really are talking about something quite elaborate and complex. Doesn't seem to fit so well for a single way of hitting someone hard.

I mean, it's not a major issue, because it's not clearly wrong - but regardless of whether you technically can use the word, if it seems out of place to enough people, it's not conveying the right impression. Still, I suppose you need more people to complain before it's clear that's actually the case..

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: 2015-02-15 12:57:12 »
The only other word that will work is "created" and that falls rather flat.  "Unlocked" is a bad translation and I am not sure what other word could really capture the spirit of the correct meaning.

Invented also doesn't work with a move.

But really this is a very minor thing... it's a menu dialogue box.  Not a deal breaker at any rate.

I doubt I'll be changing it, tbh.   Unless people can come to a consensus on a word that means the same thing as "created a technique" and is better than devised.

The japanese is literally "Worked out"

Finally, it isn't just a punch or kick... I mean some of them are but a lot of them are intricate moves.  The story element doesn't require that the gameplay match it either really.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-15 13:04:53 by DLPB »

Sora123masta

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: 2015-02-15 13:15:28 »
DLPB, did you get a look at my logs?  I am still trying to work out what went wrong on my end with my issue.  Tried other things, got nowhere.  e.e 

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: 2015-02-15 13:21:05 »
Congratulations :)

It will be the first time that I'll play FF VII in English, and I feel lucky and very thankful that it'll be Beacause. The French version is horrible, so confusing, it barely doesn't make any sense. And now I have that feeling of getting the best that can be done, thank you.  :)

Yesterday I read (again) the sheet of the non-dialogue changes, and three things caught my eye. They may be normal (one of them is coloured blue) but I'm reporting just in case :

Line 1902 : is "Dispel" a typo while Dispell was meant ?
Line 2251 : battle message "cannot mimic" has no point at the end (as in "mimed nothing.", line 2269). Normal ?
Line 2258 : battle message "Down 10 levels" has no point at the end (as in "Down 5 levels.", line 2259). Normal ?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: 2015-02-15 13:23:56 »
DLPB, did you get a look at my logs?  I am still trying to work out what went wrong on my end with my issue.  Tried other things, got nowhere.  e.e 

I did...  I'm not sure what mods you have installed...  i can't really help you with multiple mods since I don't use them.  Someone around here may be able to.

Dispel is correct, as in to get rid of.

The others are fine as far as I have seen in game.

The non dialogue is perfect apart from those entries in green or red.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-15 14:43:40 by DLPB »

Sora123masta

• View Profile
« Reply #861 on: 2015-02-15 13:29:26 »
Alright,  i'd like to apologize for troubles on my end.   Just a lot of crazy nonsense I guess. I sent some PMS to a couple creators to see if anyone else has had the same issue here.    One issue in particular with the 7th heaven game converter.  xD  My 2012 Rerelease is POOTIS

Ver Greeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #862 on: 2015-02-15 13:57:25 »
"Came up with"? :) From manga and anime and the like, usually people talk about 'coming up' with new moves or techniques*. Maybe that doesn't sound so good when directly followed by the name of the technique, though. "worked out" as the literal translation makes it sound like the technique already existed, they knew about it from somewhere, and they finally figured out how to do it. If they did come up with it themselves, I don't think 'invented' would be too odd a thing to say - some of the limit breaks are pretty convoluted.

Either way, 'devised' does sound a little strange to me as well, but it doesn't bother me much.

* "After fighting a lot of enemies, I came up with a new technique. I call it: Blade Beam"
« Last Edit: 2015-02-15 14:11:03 by Ver Greeneyes »

Sora123masta

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: 2015-02-15 14:08:07 »
OOH! OOH!!  I FOUND IT!.  After I installed the bootleg, I think I have to un-check the world and field selections and leave everything else as they are then install it, add the new driver BEFORE and that's it I think. 

But,  with Aali's driver, just replace the old driver with it after installing bootleg, right? Just wanna make sure I got this down before I go back in with my helmet and rockets. D<

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: 2015-02-15 14:42:48 »
I don't use bootleg or anything else... someone else here may be able to help :)  Prob best posting on the relevant thread though.

Legolas

• View Profile
« Reply #865 on: 2015-02-15 14:52:28 »
DLPB, "devise" definitely has to change.  While it may be the most technically correct word out there, it doesn't actually convey the meaning in English at all.  Devised is almost always applied to something intellectual, and it's really odd to see it used to describe anything physical.  "Discovered" might be the best compromise.  Because it is being applied to something physical, it's understood that repetitively performing these limit breaks leads to the discovery of new techniques.

I really like discovered because that could also fit a few ultimate limit breaks that are found... or "discovered"  It can be used for both meanings.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-15 14:59:36 by Legolas »

JeffreyATW

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: 2015-02-15 14:59:29 »
In the Shin-Ra board meeting, President Shinra says "Reeve and Scarlet will share the extra revenue from the rates increase." Should it be "rate increase"?

JeffreyATW

• View Profile
« Reply #867 on: 2015-02-15 15:00:11 »
DLPB, "devise" definitely has to change.  While it may be the most technically correct word out there, it doesn't actually convey the meaning in English at all.  Devised is almost always applied to something intellectual, and it's really odd to see it used to describe anything physical.  "Discovered" might be the best compromise.  Because it is being applied to something physical, it's understood that repetitively performing these limit breaks leads to the discovery of new techniques.

I really like discovered because that could also fit a few ultimate limit breaks that are found... or "discovered"  It can be used for both meanings.
I disagree. You can devise a new technique. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=devise%20a%20technique

Legolas

• View Profile
« Reply #868 on: 2015-02-15 15:10:41 »
Yeah, all those "techniques" are intellectual.  It's a wonky word to apply to something physical--especially when coming up with moves.  Devised is meant to apply to something intellectually substantial.

This is the actual dictionary definition:  Devised means to plan or invent (a complex procedure, system, or mechanism) by careful thought.  Coming up with new physical attacks doesn't match the scope of the word.  I would argue that the idea of what is happening is actually much better translated with a different word.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-15 15:20:53 by Legolas »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: 2015-02-15 15:44:36 »
A technique can be devised... that is definitely used in numerous places. The idea is that these characters ARE devising these techniques through practice and thought.  That's how the writers see it. They are learning these new techniques like any human person does... by devising them in the first place.  Bruce Lee devised/created/founded/invented Jeet Kune Do - he did not "discover it".  On the other hand, L4 Limits are learned from a manual.

The Japanese is "worked out".
In the Shin-Ra board meeting, President Shinra says "Reeve and Scarlet will share the extra revenue from the rates increase." Should it be "rate increase"?

I think either is OK. 
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-1607881/When-UK-rates-rise.html

What does Covarr think ;)?
« Last Edit: 2015-02-15 15:51:31 by DLPB »

Legolas

• View Profile
« Reply #870 on: 2015-02-15 15:53:17 »
Jeet Kune Do is an entire system of martial arts moves as well as philosophical background--so devised works.  But Bruce Lee didn't devise the two inch punch.  He did however discover how to punch effectively using only two inches.  The scope is what's off.  And in a tiny blurb notifying the player that the character worked out a new move, "devise" is wonky.  I honestly think discovered or even learned more closely captures the author's intent than devised.

This criticism comes from someone who is trying to make a near perfect project perfect.  Even if devised never gets changed, the retranslation is gold, DLPB.  Thanks again for the hard work.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-15 16:03:56 by Legolas »

Melancholy

• View Profile
« Reply #871 on: 2015-02-15 16:03:58 »
Jeet Kune Do is an entire system of martial arts moves as well as philosophical background--so devised works.  But Bruce Lee didn't devise the two inch punch.  He did however discover how to punch effectively using only two inches.  The scope is what's off.  And in a tiny blurb notifying the player that the character worked out a new move, "devise" is wonky.  I honestly think discovered or even learned more closely captures the author's intent than devised.
But discovered and learned do not work either. Discovered and learned assumes the technique existed before. They didn't find the techniques, they created them. They devised a new method of fighting.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: 2015-02-15 16:05:54 »
But discovered and learned do not work either. Discovered and learned assumes the technique existed before. They didn't find the techniques, they created them. They devised a new method of fighting.

Yes.  That's the issue here...  the only words that can be used must match that meaning.  The martial arts analogy is perfect.  In martial arts, different kicks, punches, blocks are invented as part of that system.  So it is with FF7.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-15 16:08:00 by DLPB »

Melancholy

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: 2015-02-15 16:07:03 »
I also want to add that I've been following this topic since before R01 released, and I have already played through it with the old translation. I couldn't be more grateful to you for taking the time to make this translation as perfect as possible.

Legolas

• View Profile
« Reply #874 on: 2015-02-15 16:07:58 »
They discovered or learned the technique through repetitively fighting.  That doesn't assume the technique existed before.  You inserted the word "method" when you used the word devised to make it work and fit the scope of that word.

Hmm...  what about "conceived?"

EX:  Cloud is fighting using Braver and conceives the idea for "Cross-Slash" which he is able to perform next time.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-15 16:12:55 by Legolas »