Author Topic: Fixing the field models mouth blinking  (Read 12537 times)

Aavock

• View Profile
Fixing the field models mouth blinking
« on: 2013-07-01 16:42:00 »
Hi!

As some of you might know, many field characters blinks their mouth instead of left/right eye; let's take the Wall Market merchant as an example:

I couldn't take a screen cap because the blinking is way too fast... For this model (dfgd.hrc) there's three textures on his *.p head file (dfhd.p) which are two eyes and 1 mouth, here's the dfhc.rsd file:

Code: [Select]
@RSD940102
@RSD940102
PLY=DFHD.PLY
MAT=DFHD.MAT
GRP=DFHD.GRP
NTEX=3
TEX[0]=DFHE.TIM (mouth texture)
TEX[1]=DFHF.TIM (eye texture)
TEX[2]=DFIA.TIM (eye texture)

At first I thought it was a texture ID issue so I've switched the dfhe.tim file with dfia.tim and edited the *.rsd file but the mouth keeps blinking instead of his right eye. Does anyone knows how to fix it ?

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing the field models mouth blinking
« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-01 19:17:56 »
I solved two problems I had and this in one step. First thing is that I managed it to merge the eye's with the head without loosing transparency or messing up the whole head. However the textures of the first part of the head are forced to blink and in most cases it looks pretty odd  - I fixed this. Well it's only Cloud at the moment, who is blinking correctly (I have also updated the closed eye textures in the flevel.lgp), but it's good to now that it's fixable.

For the one who are interested how to do it:
At first you need to know that in ff7 a head has 3 textures applied - left eye (ID0), right eye (ID1) and mouth (ID2).
Many of the PRP models (actually every redone model) uses only one or two textures. That's why they blink incorrectly and because of this it's often disabled by adding a second non blinkable head part. So first thing you need to do, is to separating the both eyes and the mouth.
Then you need to open the new 3 files with Bitrun and convert them into 3ds files. The text file need to be converted to a bmp file.
If this is done you will need p-Creator. Open the left eye first, then add the right and at last the mouth. As next import the bmp file to every single part.
Do not wonder if it's looking weird. If all 3 parts have a texture use view and chose UV coords - check flip Y. The texture should now apply correctly. Save it.
Now open Kimera and add the new part to the textureless head, save and combine single parts. Open the model again and add the textures. Done.

0 has to be eye left, 1 has to be eye right and 2 should be the mouth.

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-01 20:38:53 »
Thanks a lot Kaldarasha, so it really is a texture ID issue :-o I've replaced the IDs but even in this case the eye in the mouth position keeps blinking:

Shoud I edit the dfhc.rsd file or the group properties of the *.p head file (using Kimera) ?

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-01 20:48:30 »
This is fascinating, please continue messing with it and when you solve show us how.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-01 21:26:43 »
Shoud I edit the dfhc.rsd file or the group properties of the *.p head file (using Kimera) ?

The problem is, that it is impossible to change the ID in Kimera. It has the ability and if you do the change in Kimera, it shows everything correct, but in game the model looks wrong. So the only option I knew is with pCreator, but it's tricky and you have to re-colore the head, because pCreator generates only plain white models.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-07-01 21:39:34 »
OMG, where's PB... save the chibi! Someone help this poor guy, he has a mouth for an eye and an eye for a mouth. It's like something out of the Bible.

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-07-01 22:42:57 »
Thanks for the response but the only way to "fix" it is to duplicate the file but the character would not blink anymore... It should be a much easier way to reorder the textures, maybe hex editing the *.p file head ?

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-07-28 22:38:12 »
The only way of changing which group will blink is by changing their order. This is currently not possible, but I'll add the option to the next Kimera version.

By the way, the problem changing texture identifiers is fixed.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-07-28 22:45:14 »

Good things are on the way!
« Last Edit: 2013-07-28 22:49:09 by Template »

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-07-28 23:55:54 »
Good things are on the way!

Nice Template; can't wait for it !!

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013-07-29 00:58:46 »
Create a second head object. Delete all of the polygons except for the mouth area. The texture on the second, mouth object will not blink with the eyes.

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-07-29 02:48:52 »
Thanks PitBrat, that was the option I found with the links e1sunz provided, problem is that one of the NPC's eye will not blink... Let's see if Template can came up with a easier and faster solution. So far I'm not sure  how many characters have that issue but I imagine there are at least twenty of them.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2013-07-29 02:50:23 »
Don't look at me! I bet Kimera be updated soonish tho, then you can fix it.  :-P

Edit: He came over to this thread a little after posting 97a. Clearly there will be a 98 which is what the dance was about. As to how long it'l be, idk, but probably not tomorrow. He has to change the interface a little bit. So this chibi thing isn't gonna be fixable til then, unless PitBrat fixes it another way :-D

I'm pretty sure the fixed models would be available via the rerelease vanilla char.lgp. 5way are you using bootleg? Make a list of the broken model names and I'll see what I can do. 
« Last Edit: 2013-07-29 04:06:42 by Template »

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #14 on: 2013-07-29 03:06:33 »
Sooner than you think apparently.

EDIT: Done. You can grab 0.97a at the first page.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 19:26:49 by Borde »

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2013-07-29 04:40:10 »
Try this merchant and see if all 3 things we want happened:
1. They fixed this issue in the rerelease. Pretty sure they did.
2. I extracted it and saved the files correctly... I'm not very good with Kimera on field models yet.
3. The corrected model works with the old game. (I'm pretty sure it will.)

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2013-07-29 05:16:58 »
I tried the merchant you gave me Template but it's the exact same... Square Enix didn't change a thing on the char.lgp file for the 2012 re-release. I hope the updated version of Kimera will include an option for this texture ID thing.

Other small details I've noticed so far: in Barret's flashback right after the shooting he close his eyes for one second and the textures shown are Cloud's eyes (blonde eyebrows), the second one is well known: the Quake magic texture is misplaced by one of the menu_us.lgp.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2013-07-29 05:18:36 »
I think the new version of Kimera does fix that.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2013-07-29 06:22:21 »
Ok I haven't test, the texture IDs in Kimera 0.97a. But if everything works as I think it does, you need to disconnect the textures from the model first.
It's easy to do, you only have to kill groups you don't need, so you have in the end only one group per head part. Save every part (do not use apply) as 'TheNameOfTheHeadX.p' (example:DFHD1.p). The parts you need:
Head (create this at last and save it as the default head.p file without a number)
Left eye (from the view of the model)
Right eye
Mouth
Now open the model, you should see it without any textures. As next add the isolated parts in this order to the head: Left eye, Right eye, Mouth.
Change the texture ID for the parts:
Left eye- ID:0
Right eye - ID:1
Mouth - ID: 2
Save everything in a new folder and click on yes when it's asking you, "Compile multi-P bones in a single file?". You may need to organize the loaded texture order in 'Show Texture option'. You can move a texture with the arrows.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2013-07-29 15:27:20 »
Well changing the IDs is definitely fixed. But I don't get the order thing... think we have to wait like Borde said for next version when you can change group order but I'm probably missing something.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2013-07-30 22:30:59 »
Yes, sorry, I didn't make myself clear enough. Groups reordering wasn't implemented on the last bugfix version.

Kaldarasha's method would definitely work too, though it's kind of unconfortable.