Author Topic: Where is this played?  (Read 9502 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Where is this played?
« on: 2016-06-05 00:54:09 »
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3Kl04es5qkqTVlVc2JHbnBiNzQ

It is a variation of the Galbadia GARDEN theme.  It has a slightly longer intro.

Is it played? If so - when and where?  It's bound to be played at Galbadia Garden if it is played at all.

Aavock

• View Profile
Re: Where is this played?
« Reply #1 on: 2016-06-05 03:44:26 »
Isn't it the very first time entering the Galbadia Garden right after the FMV intro ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi44T9fKSDM

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-06-05 04:11:36 »
No, that's all one track. There are 3 Galbadia Garden tracks in the PSX game.

Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-06-05 07:43:17 »
I may be wrong, but I have a feeling this particular version plays when you infiltrate Galbadia Garden towards the end of disc 2. The music literally starts the moment you're given control to start exploring the garden, and it might be this track. Then again, I have no means to check right now, so...

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-06-05 08:19:47 »
I've checked that ;)  As soon as you enter the garden during that phase, it's the normal version.

Perhaps this is unused afterall?

Halfer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-06-05 09:42:21 »
It is the normal track used in galbadia garden overall. It just starts playing after the intro. You can hear it here: https://youtu.be/s5KdcGlpq-g?t=37s

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-06-05 13:33:57 »
It isn't that.  As I said - that is a separate track on the PSX (it has an intro and then the start of the music as one track).  You can see this by the extracted PSFs.   You can also tell because the music fades into it with that one you sent - the track I sent has no overlapping fade.

There are three tracks all separate.  Either it's used somewhere, or - like The alt Landing - it's redundant.  It's possible they were going to make it separate at one point - but then decided to make the FMV intro one track instead.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-05 13:36:25 by DLPB »

Husbjörn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2016-06-05 13:59:09 »
It isn't that.  As I said - that is a separate track on the PSX (it has an intro and then the start of the music as one track).  You can see this by the extracted PSFs.   You can also tell because the music fades into it with that one you sent - the track I sent has no overlapping fade.
I would say that after playing through that one once then it switches to this one so as to not repeat the intro when looping.
However, the PSX FF games used their own midi-like system which sequenced individually sampled instrument notes as far as I know. Which would make this kind of thing redundant.
At the same time you're saying your track was extracted from the PSX game, which brings this into question as well. Is the track stored as a real, stand-alone audio track and not as a sequence of other, more basic audio tracks (ie. instrument / sound effect samples)?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2016-06-05 13:59:47 »
It's separate tracks.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-05 14:43:43 by DLPB »

Halfer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2016-06-05 14:22:58 »
I don't think anything is unused here. I'm not sure what three tracks you are talking about but if it's what I think it is then the first separated track is the 0-37s from the video I posted. IF the third track is the same as second track with only about 7 second intro then I highly suspect that this second track is only used after the first intro and after the second track has played it loops third track indefinitely.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2016-06-05 14:27:55 »
It's not.  It's 3 separate tracks :P  The question is if the one I posted is ever heard.  The FMV intro is not it.

Edit - It's 2 separate tracks.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-05 14:44:07 by DLPB »

Halfer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2016-06-05 14:30:47 »
It's not.  It's 3 separate tracks :P  The question is if the one I posted is ever heard.  The FMV intro is not it.

I would like to hear these tracks, it's pretty non-sensical to try and guess anything based on the argument that there are 3 separate tracks if I don't know what these tracks includes.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2016-06-05 14:32:01 »
Look - I've posted the track in question. The only question anyone needs to be concerned with is if that is ever heard on its own as a track. The intro you posted is one complete track and is NOT the one I posted.  At this time, I am thinking the one I posted is never used - but that's why I am asking the question. 8)

If anyone here knows psx assembly or how to extract psfs, perhaps they could shed some light on where this track comes from - and if it is used.

- actually psx has 2 tracks. The full one with the FMV intro (it starts later in the track for normal galbadia garden bgm) - and the one I posted.  That still means the one I posted is unknown.  The PC version uses 2 separate tracks instead of an offset.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-05 14:40:30 by DLPB »

Husbjörn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2016-06-05 16:04:46 »
IF the third track is the same as second track with only about 7 second intro then I highly suspect that this second track is only used after the first intro and after the second track has played it loops third track indefinitely.
This would be my guess as well. It makes no sense to loop a track with a distinct intro.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2016-06-05 18:27:01 »
Switching tracks for looping is very strange behavior for sequenced music. I mean, modern games with streaming music like Sonic Generations do that, because most streaming music formats do not have good looping support, but sequenced music can easily have a custom loop point defined, and in fact several FF7 and FF8 songs loop back to a point near the beginning rather than right at it.

Husbjörn

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2016-06-05 18:51:12 »
Switching tracks for looping is very strange behavior for sequenced music. I mean, modern games with streaming music like Sonic Generations do that, because most streaming music formats do not have good looping support, but sequenced music can easily have a custom loop point defined, and in fact several FF7 and FF8 songs loop back to a point near the beginning rather than right at it.
Indeed, but he stated this wasn't a sequenced track but rather stored as one large audio file, unless I misunderstood.
If it's a sequence then it may very well just be some leftover thing that never was used; it would take much less space so maybe it would have been a bigger deal to remove it and relocate stuff following it than to just leave it be?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #16 on: 2016-06-06 01:31:53 »
Would this be used if you LEFT the Galbadian Garden after that FMV and re-entered or would that intro fanfare play again?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2016-06-06 03:58:02 »
Nah when you return, the start point just shifts to after the intro portion.  If the one I posted is used at all, it's at a very specific time. But it's looking like it's redundant.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #18 on: 2016-06-06 11:45:44 »
Nah when you return, the start point just shifts to after the intro portion.  If the one I posted is used at all, it's at a very specific time. But it's looking like it's redundant.
That seems a bit pointless. Not saying you're wrong, though. It's not like Square has never added tracks to it's games that it didn't get around to using properly.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2016-06-06 11:49:37 »
It's not the first time with FF8.  There is an entire track unused in it (an alternate The Landing).  FF7 has an unused track "Comical". It's very possible that the FMV intro was originally going to be a standalone track - but they decided to join it with the one I posted.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2016-06-06 17:29:22 »
I'll double check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure that's used at the end of disc 2 as you're walking around in g garden.

Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2016-06-06 18:44:30 »
I'll double check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure that's used at the end of disc 2 as you're walking around in g garden.

Nah, I thought so too, but after checking a walkthrough of the PS version, it's plain obvious it uses the regular track without any sort of intro.