Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] The Reunion (OLD THREAD, SAVED FOR POSTERITY)  (Read 1251927 times)

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
Re: [REL] Menu Overhaul Project
« Reply #1150 on: 2012-05-06 00:18:52 »
Haha, that's awesome. Hey I wanted to ask because I forget, should I have compress textures on or off?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: 2012-05-06 07:16:28 »
I place it off... there is definitely a hit on quality with font when it is on.  Have a look at it and see what you think.

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: 2012-05-06 07:21:16 »
Just checked. I honestly can't tell a very big difference. Mine was set to off, i'll keep it off. Thanks for the input!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: 2012-05-06 07:23:37 »
Menu Overhaul might have set it to off  8)

JokerKazucchi

• View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: 2012-05-07 19:08:59 »
umm..I have a small problem...not sure if it is because of this, or it has a problem with the Custom driver, but the textures on the map got weird, and everything is placed wrongly

for example in the sector 7 slums, that Beginner's Hall or what is it is messed up.. :/ and I dunno what I need to do to solve this

it looks like this:

hyrod

« Reply #1155 on: 2012-05-13 03:23:21 »
I just installed the Menu Overhaul, all i get is a black screen.

What i did was;

Installed FF7;
Installed 1.02;
Installed Aali video driver;
Installed Unified Model Installer;(Game starts up alright up to this point)

After installing Menu overhaul,
When i try to start the game all it gives me is a black screen,
Aali's video driver gave me this error;
"could not find a compatible version of FF7, make sure you have the 1.02 Patch installed!"

Did i do anything wrong there?

Corigne

• PM me if you need extra hands on a project!
    • View Profile
    • Fireheart Inc
« Reply #1156 on: 2012-05-13 08:09:19 »
Can you post your opengl config file for Aali's custom driver? I have a hunch that the problem might be a conflict between settings chosen in the menu overhaul and the Aali config file.  Just a hunch.

hyrod

« Reply #1157 on: 2012-05-13 10:45:51 »
This is the config file;

Code: [Select]
# ff7_opengl-0.7.10b config file

## USER OPTIONS ##
## If you just want to play the game, these are the only options you'll want to change.

# set the window size (or fullscreen resolution) of FF7
# 0 means use original resolution (whatever ff7.exe provides)
# preserve_aspect adds black borders as needed to preserve a 4:3 aspect ratio
window_size_x = 1600
window_size_y = 900
preserve_aspect = yes
fullscreen = yes

# mod directory
# subdirectroy of mods/ where textures will be loaded from
# does not affect the old external textures feature, those should still go in textures/
mod_path = DK

# check your driver settings if this option doesn't seem to work
enable_vsync = yes

# limit snowboard, coaster and highway minigames to refresh rate / 2, i.e. 30fps for a 60hz display mode
# vsync must be enabled and working for this to have any effect
minigame_framelimiter = on

# same thing, but for the battle swirl
battleswirl_framelimiter = off

# allow FF7 to use linear filtering for its textures
# some things look slightly better with this option on, but alot of textures just lose their detail
linear_filter = off

# plugin used to play music, the FF7Music plugin MUST be enabled for FF7Music to work.
# If no music plugin is loaded the game will play MIDI as usual but FF7Music will NOT work.
#music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgp

## ENHANCEMENTS ##
## All the little extras that weren't part of the original game, default options include only trivial bug fixes.

# make all dialog boxes transparent, same effect as the transparent dialog boxes YAMP patch
transparent_dialogs = off

# allow max hp/mp to go over 9999, same effect as the YAMP patch by dziugo
break_9999limit = no

# include armor in magic defense calculation
mdef_fix = yes

# expand battle viewport to cover entire screen and make the battle menu transparent
new_battle_interface = on

# post-processing shader, used to apply fullscreen effects
post_source = shaders/bloom2.post
enable_postprocessing = no

## ADVANCED OPTIONS ##
## Don't fiddle with these unless you know what you're doing.

# use shaders, if available and supported
# turn shaders off to use the OpenGL 1.1 backend
use_shaders = yes

# prevent glitches due to rounding errors by rendering in the nearest (larger, if supported)
# multiple of the original resolution and up/down-scaling
prevent_rounding_errors = yes

# enable alpha blending for textures without an existing blending effect
fancy_transparency = on

# display frames per second counter in upper right corner
show_fps = no

# display some real-time debug information
show_stats = no

# store external textures in a compressed cache for increased performance
# compression is not lossless, some artifacts may appear when this option is in use
# texture cache does NOT update automatically if the source image changes, however, deleting anything from the cache
# will cause that file to be recreated from the source
compress_textures = yes

# use pixel buffer objects to speed up texture loading
# will probably crash horribly on ATI cards but should work for NVIDIA users
use_pbo = no

# replace FF7's default framelimiter timer source
use_new_timer = yes

# use a more stable (but less accurate) timer to control FF7's framelimiter
# this option has no effect unless the use_new_timer option is on
use_stable_timer = no

# plugin used to play movies, FFMpeg is the only choice for now
movie_plugin = plugins/ffmpeg_movies.fgp

## MODDER OPTIONS ##
## These options are mostly useful to modders and should not be enabled during normal play.

# read files directly instead of using LGP archives
# for example; if FF7 is looking for aaab.rsd in char.lgp, this option will make it open direct/char/aaab.rsd first,
# if this file doesn't exist it will look for the original in the LGP archive
direct_mode = off

# show every failed attempt at loading a .png texture
show_missing_textures = no

disable_popup = on

Squall_1904

• "As long as I have my sword..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: 2012-05-20 08:48:02 »
How can I use this mod to change the menu while still mantaining the original ff7 battle menu?

Posts Merged

I have only this issue left before I can FINALLY finish modding my FF7 as much as I wanted. :D
(still going to check better about summon models sometime later though)

Posts only four and a half minutes apart? Use the edit button, as per our rules. ~Covarr
« Last Edit: 2012-05-20 13:46:23 by Covarr »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: 2012-05-20 17:04:04 »
You cannot use the original battle menu with this mod.

Squall_1904

• View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: 2012-05-20 17:43:39 »
I'm sorry bro but look at this example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTK0Pdrm0ao
The letters and numbers are perfectly aliased and the materia colors on the menu is changed while he is still preserving the original battle menu.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: 2012-05-20 17:45:48 »
That's because bro... that is not my project.  That is Team Avalanche's overhaul. 

Squall_1904

• View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: 2012-05-20 17:57:46 »
(epic fail) Oh ok, thanks. 'xD By the way, with your menu overhaul if I'm in a battle and I want to use a magic that is junctioned with an "all" materia I can't see the "arrow" indicating that the magic can be used on multiple enemies. Probably because on FF9 there were no arrows on the battle menu suggesting that, duh, but since this is a mod for FF7 is it possible to add on your next version? (if there's gonna be another that is)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: 2012-05-20 18:00:18 »
I removed the arrows because they are redundant.  The big box to the right tells you that All is applied.

jonshaun1980

• View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: 2012-05-21 15:05:57 »
Not sure if this is the right area to post. If not, move to right area please. I have used bootleg to install mods on FFVII, I am somewhat new to modding. Very new to this game. Bootleg has been easy to use. I am having a few problems though, 1) In battle after installing menu overhaul, it is not lined up correctly, the ATB appears above names, Limit guage over name, Font too big, etc. 2) I did the english translation and it is saying that some scripts are not original.
Other than these issues, the game is running great.

These are the errors I am getting in Menu Overhaul.
Normal Mode
Error in startmap: Incorrect number of entries: 2/11
Error in blackbg2: Incorrect number of entries: 24/42
Error in blackbg3: Incorrect number of entries: 18/28
Error in blackbg4: Incorrect number of entries: 54/72
Error in blackbg7: Incorrect number of entries: 16/25
Error in blackbgi: Incorrect number of entries: 10/17
Error in blackbgk: Incorrect number of entries: 16/21

Hard Mode
Error in elminn_1: Incorrect number of entries: 16/17
Error in psdun_2: Incorrect number of entries: 9/10

This is the English Game Text errors:
Normal Mode
min51_1 patch failed, not original script
chrin_2 patch failed, not original script
ealin_2 patch failed, not original script
blin67_2 patch failed, not original script
elmin4_2 patch failed, not original script
psdun_2 patch failed, not original script
games_2 patch failed, not original script
gongaga patch failed, not original script
goson patch failed, not original script
cosin1_1 patch failed, not original script
kuro_4 patch failed, not original script
lastmap patch failed, not original script

Hard Mode
min51_1 patch failed, not original script
chrin_2 patch failed, not original script
ealin_2 patch failed, not original script
blin67_2 patch failed, not original script
elmin4_2 patch failed, not original script
games_2 patch failed, not original script
gongaga patch failed, not original script
goson patch failed, not original script
cosin1_1 patch failed, not original script
kuro_4 patch failed, not original script
lastmap patch failed, not original script

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: 2012-05-21 15:12:17 »
The script errors are normal.  The reason the game is not working for you is because you have not read first post or readme.

DestroGalacticmon

• View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: 2012-05-21 17:46:23 »
I discovered a minor glitch with text box collision. Again, it is minor and propably on low priority on the todo-list, but just for perfection's sake I'll show you what I'm talking about.

In the original texture, the windows would appear kindly on top of each other, but here it looks like they're going in each other?  ???

(Image has been cropped due to spoilers!)

If this has already reached your attention, then I apologize...

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: 2012-05-21 20:55:29 »
That is not an issue.  It is just an optical illusion... the borders are meshing giving the appearance that they have joined. The real thing to sort that is simply to make sure the dialogue boxes are correct size and X Y position.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-21 23:14:25 by DLPB »

oasis789

« Reply #1168 on: 2012-05-22 06:56:19 »
When installing using bootleg, I left MSE on. This message came up.

---------------------------------------

Detected Item: Trojan:Win32/Dynamer!dtc

Category: Trojan

Description: This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker.

Recommended action: Remove this software immediately.

Items:
file:E:\ff7\dlpb-mods\is-G1F4C.tmp
file:E:\ff7\dlpb-mods\sense-dlpb.exe
file:E:\ff7\dlpb-mods\TifaYamp.exe

Get more information about this item online.

---------------------------------------

I'm assuming this is the relevant mod thread - sorry if this isn't the right place. Is this an issue I need to be worried about?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: 2012-05-22 13:24:54 »
READ THE FIRST POST AND README.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1170 on: 2012-05-22 16:09:39 »
Whoa, calm down. Assuming casual users will read through documentation isn't really a realistic aspiration. Whilst it would be nice, most users aren't invested enough in the service or software to make that up-front time commitment. Just saying 'Check the FAQ in the opening post' is enough.

Kemlin

• View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: 2012-05-22 18:01:14 »
wut

No, Bosola, that's not a reasonable thing to tell him. He's spent a tremendous amount of time working on the overhaul, and even more time making an easy to understand FAQ designed to service those who would use it. Someone so lazy and stupid that they can't even be bothered to read THE FIRST POST in this entire thread doesn't deserve to be treated nicely. It's not like it's hard to find information, considering the first paragraph tells you where to find the FAQ.

I understand repetitive questions popping up when the answer isn't already posted somewhere obvious. This is not one of those cases. Something stupid was asked and DLPB acted accordingly.

Anyway, it should be expected of everyone to have basic reading comprehension, common courtesy, and common sense on these boards. If they fall grossly short of those expectations because they're a n00b, the violating post should be deleted and they should be warned.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-22 18:02:52 by Kemlin »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1172 on: 2012-05-22 20:21:35 »
wut

No, Bosola, that's not a reasonable thing to tell him. He's spent a tremendous amount of time working on the overhaul, and even more time making an easy to understand FAQ designed to service those who would use it. Someone so lazy and stupid that they can't even be bothered to read THE FIRST POST in this entire thread doesn't deserve to be treated nicely. It's not like it's hard to find information, considering the first paragraph tells you where to find the FAQ.

They're not being a 'n00b' at all. Granted, they should have consulted the FAQ before posting, but I can see why someone might not. After all, there's no way to know what data an FAQ contains until it has been read, and that requires a commitment of time a user can't judge worthwhile. This is the reason that documentation always fails - not because people are stupid, but because they're employing unfortunate-but-necessary heuristics that win out in the vast majority of circumstances.

This, unfortunately, is why no-one reads manuals any more. And as someone who used to write software manuals for a living, and took a lot of pride in his work, it makes me as sad as anyone. Rather than railing against it, though, we just have to accept it. No forum with a 'RTFM' policy has ever stopped repeat questions before, and no-one's going to start managing it today.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-22 20:27:53 by Bosola »

Kemlin

• View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: 2012-05-22 21:00:27 »
They're not being a 'n00b' at all. Granted, they should have consulted the FAQ before posting, but I can see why someone might not. After all, there's no way to know what data an FAQ contains until it has been read, and that requires a commitment of time a user can't judge worthwhile. This is the reason that documentation always fails - not because people are stupid, but because they're employing unfortunate-but-necessary heuristics that win out in the vast majority of circumstances.

It's so rare I yell at my monitor in disbelief. But, here we are. I, too, can see why someone won't read a FAQ or a read me, or instructions, or remember to bring a coat with them to the arctic circle. That does not mean the behavior should be tolerated. Let's follow the thought process involved in this specific circumstance:

1: They won't spend five seconds searching for "virus". They won't do this even through the first paragraph of the thread mentions a FAQ.

1a: If they don't search the FAQ because they've determined beforehand their problem won't be mentioned, they're assuming things. Their problem is unique, the author hasn't made good documentation, etc.

2: They will spend several minutes composing a post asking a question that's already been answered in the FAQ they refused to check due to one of the above reasons.

3: They've determined it's easier and quicker for everyone to ask a question and make someone else spend their time and effort helping them.

This tells me the person's judgement is garbage and/or they don't value other people's time and effort. The n00b label fits. As far as I'm concerned, they don't deserve to be treated nicely. If punishment is too harsh, then they should just be ignored; they don't deserve help as they've done nothing to help themselves first.

<_<

I'm channeling the Obesebear of old, aren't I?
« Last Edit: 2012-05-22 21:03:13 by Kemlin »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: 2012-05-22 22:01:47 »
You feel like it's a waste of your time to answer a question that they could've easily found the answer to themselves? Fine. You don't have to answer. However, I would also like to take this chance to reiterate a few of our rules:

CAPS LOCK MAKES IT LOOK LIKE YOU'RE BEING AGGRESSIVE!! WE DON'T LIKE AGGRESSIVE PEOPLE!! SO DON'T USE IT!
Don't Be a D*ck
Be courteous, polite and show respect to others. Use of the forums is a privilege, not a right. Being a d*ck may get you warned. It may get you moderated. You might get banned for being a d*ck.
The fact is, I agree that oasis789 should've searched the first post, but that does not mean DLPB's response was appropriate. Even if you are absolutely right and the other person is absolutely wrong, it is important to keep things civil; "right" is not an all access pass to do whatever you want. If you feel they don't deserve help, then simply don't help and leave it at that. Throwing fits is childish and immature, creates a general air of negativity, and will not be tolerated.

On a related note, DLPB, if you want more people to read the first post, you should arrange your information in a manner more useful to the reader. I suggest:
  • Intro (everything that's currently before credits)
  • Key Features
  • History
  • FAQs
  • Things NOT TO DO
  • Progress Reports
  • Credits

Decades of media have trained people to assume that the credits are last (or if anything's after them, it's bonus material of some sort). The climax of a film, for example, NEVER comes after the credits. It's not unreasonable for people to get as far as the credits and assume that it's the rest of the post, without ever so much as scrolling. The information people are most likely to need should be the easiest to access (at the top).

Further, we have been trained to look for sections based on headers, and only read beneath those headers if the header fits. Why is it that you've got the progress reports (which are hardly even relevant now that the project is complete) brightly colored, and labeled with BIG BOLD HEADERS while the FAQs section is headered with a normal size font that is easily missed with a quick scan through the page?

Basically, as the post is structured and formatted right now, the most important information is the least accessible, almost to the point of seeming like it's deliberately hidden (Not to say I actually think you intentionally did that, but that really is how poorly structured it is).

One last thing:

READ THE FIRST POST AND README. [emphasis mine ~Covarr]
If you had read oasis789's post, you might have noticed that he was asking about something that came up during install. You have cleverly put the readme behind the installer. It is entirely unreasonable to expect people to solve a problem by reading something they can't access until after they have solved their problem.