Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] The Reunion (OLD THREAD, SAVED FOR POSTERITY)  (Read 1251438 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [REL] Menu Overhaul Project
« Reply #1425 on: 2012-09-14 14:50:05 »
If ff7 had done the same, then you'd have been all right... wouldnt have had to learn anything new.  But you are best off learning them because every ff after 7 has used them :)

Akira Sendoh

• I don't want to be a Goodman,I want to be a Great1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: 2012-09-14 18:28:36 »
while im installing MO5 .
suddenly Appear a Notepad and say .

fship_4 patch failed, not original script
min51_1 patch failed, not original script
chrin_2 patch failed, not original script
ealin_2 patch failed, not original script
blin67_2 patch failed, not original script
elminn_1 patch failed, not original script
elmin4_2 patch failed, not original script
frcyo patch failed, not original script
psdun_2 patch failed, not original script
games_2 patch failed, not original script
gongaga patch failed, not original script
goson patch failed, not original script
cosin1_1 patch failed, not original script
kuro_4 patch failed, not original script
lastmap patch failed, not original script
Couldn't encode world_us.lgp: Incompatible filename

what is the meaning of that ?

sorry for my bad english :p

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: 2012-09-14 18:30:39 »
This has been documented earlier in the thread.  It is normal.  It means you are not using clean flevel but it should not pose a problem.

You need to use search more.  Questions like that are answered numerous times.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: 2012-09-15 03:17:09 »
Bad news:

1.  Because changes are now in memory ts will not update flevel properly so I am waiting to see if Luksy will add something that will fix this.  Otherwise, some values will still need to be edited in ff7.exe and I am hoping to avoid that if possible.

2.  Related to above.  Because I am trying to avoid all changes to ff7.exe, the entirety of text changes will be made by Hext.dll, meaning I need to add every byte of change to my translation memory text file.  Doable, just gonna take time.  For example "Continue?" and other entries would need to be added in byte changes.  There are a lot of txt in VII.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: 2012-09-15 06:39:40 »
Good news:

1.  I am going to bed.

2.  I have now successfully separated the code from text and worked out a way to make this all work with foreign games assuming some people put some serious effort into helping out with their languages.  It is looking good.

3.  When M06 is done, I will concentrate on the foreign languages and also my last job as far as this project is concerned:  An option for allowing battle to have the new font and graphics WITH the old battle interface layout.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-15 06:41:11 by DLPB »

Lex Tertia

• View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: 2012-09-15 12:48:20 »
Is there a download link to your translated .txt files or do I have to extract them from the installer?

Caledor

• [ITA]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #1431 on: 2012-09-15 13:02:15 »
2.  I have now successfully separated the code from text and worked out a way to make this all work with foreign games assuming some people put some serious effort into helping out with their languages.  It is looking good.

I'm trying to retranslate the whole game to italian and I already have a ff7.exe patched with M05c totally translated and hex edited to alter windows sizes and whatever. So if you need something about italian feel free to PM me. :wink:

PS. Agli Italiani del forum / To fellow italians

Per favore non rispondete a questo post chiedendo informazioni sulla ritraduzione che sto facendo, perchè non è questo il thread per farlo. Finché non creerò un thread su questo mio progetto chi è interessato può farmi le sue domande via PM.

Don't answer this thread asking for the retranslation i talked about, cause this is not the right thread to do this. Until I create my own thread about that project, you can ask me everything about it with PMs.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: 2012-09-15 18:46:18 »
Is there a download link to your translated .txt files or do I have to extract them from the installer?

Extract, and please credit me and Luksy if you are using them and send link to the translation thread.

Dei 92, I need all the text placed in a 1.02 exe.  From there I can extract to hex and place in my new text file which uses dll to inject at run time.  Meaning it will work without editing the 1.02 exe.  Do you have a fully converted 1.02 exe there?  if so send it me in pm.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-15 18:48:05 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: 2012-09-16 06:00:20 »
If you want to help and cannot be bothered reading this yet, read the bottom of this post only. Starting after
the ======= divider.

OK people listen up.  This is what I am doing and this is what needs to be done.

I am adding support for foreign games by a.  Converting the file names to the US counterparts.  b.  Making people use the 1.02 English exe.  c.  using my hext.dll to change the exe addresses at RUN TIME. 

This means that although you will have a fully functioning 1.02 English exe that can be modded as normal, the MO values and text will be changed when the game loads and won't come from the actual file.  How is this accomplished?

I created Hext.dll, which takes memory addresses and values from ordinary text files and injects them into ff7 memory.  Aali's driver supports dll.  So what are the issues? 

The issues are:

1.  The 1.02 exe has limited text space as it was designed for English.  Certain foreign words or phrases will not fit.  In these circumstances someone will have to CUT the words down so that they work with a 1.02 exe.  The best way to make sure this is working is to use touphscript which will automatically work out if your text is ok. 

But hang on I hear you say.... that would be editing a file?  Well yes it would.  The thing is, I have created a tool that extracts the text in hex format into a text file that can be used with hext.dll.

2.  because GAME text is changing, the GAME boxes will need editing.  Sometimes GAME text itself will need moving.  What can be done?  Like Dei92 above, you have to MANUALLY alter hex to resize and reposition text and the boxes.  Luckily due to hext this is now much easier!  All you need to do is list the memory addresses with values in a plain text file in the following format

Address = Value or Address = Value1 Value2 Value 3
So like this for example  00700000=22 00 90 90 90

This would change those 5 values in memory starting at that address.

So what do I really need?

• A working 1.02 English executable that has been translated with ts into the desired language
  • A 1.02 that has also had text and boxes resized and moved to accomodate the new text.

So if you want to help this is what you do:

1.  Use touphscript to place the correct text into a 1.02 exe. When the exe text is PERFECT you SEND ME THE Touphscript file (see the very bottom of this post).  I extract the hex and give you a TEXT file.  That file is placed in hext folder in game root. This file is YOUR MAIN GAME FILE.  Everything else you edit like box sizes are placed into this file at the top above the values that are already there. 

2. You then load the game and rearrange text, boxes, and anything else not working.  Everything you change is added to the top of the text file- a memory address and value.

When everything looks perfect, your job is done.  You then send me the Hex compliant text file and I add it to the MO project.

To get started, as said, you need to change the actual text by altering my US template text file that is then encoded by ts.  Basically, if you want to help you start HERE >>>>

==============================================================
Italian is done.  German is being worked on.  So don't start working on these.

Download THIS file if working on French or other languages.

And download the 1.02 exe HERE.  You will need some way of testing this which means you will need
a working English game.  I will place up a small converter here soon.  For now get to work changing the text.

• Edit 0_ff7.exe.txt so that it the new text is your language.
  • After you have run my converter, install MO project.
  • Now use touphscript to place 0_ff7.exe.txt into ff7.exe
  • Load the game and make sure ALL the game text is correct to your language
  • Do not worry about the boxes looking bad. 

If the touphscript log reports that the text in 0_ff7.exe.txt is too large, you will need to work around the offending entry by reducing its size.

When you have done, send me your 0_ff7.exe.txt.  Please check and check and check again to make sure that there are no errors or typos.  After you have sent me the file, I will go into PM with you about what to do next.

« Last Edit: 2012-09-16 06:28:43 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: 2012-09-16 06:40:07 »
I know the above sounds like Brain Surgery, but the end result will be the most simple thing you can imagine.  Modding games will be as simple as editing text files and installing MO to the exe will be as simple as placing  a text file into the Hext Folder. 

ManuBBXX

• View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: 2012-09-16 09:47:49 »
Perfect job ! I go for the fr version  :)

Lex Tertia

• View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: 2012-09-17 08:46:34 »
I am not sure why sa and not su, that's one for Luksy, but bottom line is it is simply kana for Thunder.

su is pronounced like the word soo[n] only shorter.

I need an opinion: If I start a retranslation, should I translate the english verison so most mods are compatible? Or am I overseeing something? Since the 2012 rerelease is multi I kinda have the choice.

spy__dragon

• View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: 2012-09-17 10:31:20 »
Hello, sorry me ignorance, but I want to modify in spanish the FF7.exe, I should add some
characters, for example arrows, and this character " — ", should I edit the font?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: 2012-09-17 15:49:19 »
If you want to :) To add chars you will need to do that and to change window.bin values to accommodate it.   As for other question regarding translation, that is offtopic, but yes, changing English game is beneficial because everyone mods for it.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-17 15:50:56 by DLPB »

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: 2012-09-18 03:40:12 »
Hi DLPB

I can not send you PM, is blocked...
Instead, a few pictures

Original German exe

Convertet English exe

Original German exe (gold saucer)

Convertet English exe (gold saucer)

Snowboard in snow village will crash.

Greetings Kompass63

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: 2012-09-18 05:15:42 »
PM is now open to you, forgot to add you.

The reason your graphics are messed up is because the names of your files have not yet been changed to match the english game names for files.  Wait until I release a nice batch file to fix that.  I will get on that in a moment.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: 2012-09-18 05:25:28 »
Download Here

Place Convert.bat  AND the "dlpb-convert" folder in the game root (same place as ff7.exe)

Then run convert.bat

There are no guarantees.  This has not been tested.

BACK UP YOUR ENTIRE DATA FOLDER.
=========

The above should allow ALL foreign game owners to play the game with 1.02 English exe.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-18 06:26:25 by DLPB »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #1442 on: 2012-09-18 14:02:38 »
I don't have anyway to test this, so would it be good or bad, at this point, to add this to my Bootleg Tutorial?

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: 2012-09-18 14:37:37 »
Hi EQ2Alyza

I don't have anyway to test this, so would it be good or bad, at this point, to add this to my Bootleg Tutorial?

Not yet, is not finished yet ...(I think)

@ DLPB
Your bat file worked at first attempt  ;D (I should have come behind that by myself :()
I will check, if they were already all the files that need to be renamed
The German FF7 seems to work now with the English exe.
Inclusive CD change, Submarine and snowboard game :)

A question, can you put more text in memory than in the exe?
I had to drastically cut in some places, so the game looks not good (but it works).

greeting Kompass63

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: 2012-09-18 23:07:24 »
The text can be put in memory and will be but it doesn't matter, memory IS the same as exe for space limitations and most other stuff.

What I need from you is a final version of the 1.02 text file.  We cannot increase text and as I said before, there is nothing I can do about that.  8)

ManuBBXX

• View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: 2012-09-19 00:26:08 »
Can I give you soon my 1.02.exe.txt fr file too DPLB ?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: 2012-09-19 00:34:29 »
If you have checked it 4x beginning to end, made sure that there are NO typos and other problems (like where you have made a mistake with my name) and that where possible it is 1:1 to the original French version.  Yes.  Send to PM.  It has to be perfect.  Do not give me a half job.  I don't do half jobs.

Also use my converter above so you can use the English 1.02 exe and can test your version.

You can add this converter there if you want but for people to play the game with the menu text translated they will either have to create their own edits or use Menu Overhaul.  The above converter will automatically be deployed by Menu Overhaul project.
« Last Edit: 2012-09-19 01:27:11 by DLPB »

ManuBBXX

• View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: 2012-09-19 12:24:38 »
Of course I will re read and test again and again. So I use toughscript to reencode the exe with my 1.02.exe.txt and then launch your bat file converter and it's all I have to do to can test my game with fr menu translated menus ?

Edit : Tried to encode my ff7.exe file with the 1.02.exe.txt in fr, and tested with this exe but, still in english in menus.. Where am I wrong for you DLPB ?
« Last Edit: 2012-09-19 12:48:29 by ManuBBXX »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: 2012-09-19 15:21:21 »
You have to place the 1.02 exe in the game folder then run ts with the e option.

Before that, run ts with D option to decode all files.  Then place the NEW french 1.02 in the text folder (in ts folder).  Overwrite the one that is there.  Then use option E.

Send me your 1.02 text file so I can be sure you are doing it right.

ManuBBXX

• View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: 2012-09-19 16:27:58 »
Re. Thanks a lot first DLPB for taking time trying to explain me. Thanks a lot. Here is what I did :

Here is my ff7 game folder, with the famous FF7.exe :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Then, I went to toughscript folder, ran the exe and selected 'D' as you mentionned, for creating the files in text folder :

After that, I tried to modify some texts in the '0_ff7.exe.txt' in FR, and of course saved it( I dont finished this file entirely, it's coming soon ) :

And at the final, re-encoded the file with the 'E' option in toughscript :

I launched the game, but my modifs to the '0_ff7.exe.txt' didn't appear in game, no changes visible.
I think I did as you said to me, doesn't it ?