Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Beacause - FF7 Retranslation (Merged into Reunion, use that instead)  (Read 364287 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Luksy says that is pretty bogus anyway....  but I do recall a production staff interview where they were asked about origin of Seto.  I think it was Nomura being asked and he said someone else in team named him and had his reasons.  He could not verify it...  but I recall the interviewer making an argument that SE-TO came from somewhere amusing.  It was not a mythology.  Nomura said "I wouldn't put it past him"

Shame I can't find that interview.  I will leave it as Seto until there is more to go on.

In other news, I am almost done documenting these things and making a final update to the non dialogue.  I have been in contact with Luksy a lot with these and I will place up all the changes that we are making here on this thread. So far there have been 138 changes made across the board to abolish the more literal stuff.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Documentation is finished. I have been through whole document (2241 records) twice.  Tomorrow is the final check.  So far (and this isn't likely to rise much) the total number of changes is 183 (8%).

Most of those things are enemy moves and literal stuff.  I will document all changes in full later.

The non-dialogue documentation is now Here

Things marked in  yellow are either changed or being looked at to change. 

« Last Edit: 2012-06-02 10:56:09 by DLPB »

Livesey

• View Profile
I am glad you decided against the literal for "Omnislash."

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
no one in their right mind could hope to keep the literal for that....  :-D

In fact... what is more hilarious is, they've started using "Omnislash" in some of the Japanese games involving VII (not sure which ones).
« Last Edit: 2012-06-03 15:27:27 by DLPB »

knightsoftheround

• View Profile
    • Online Art Gallery
It becomes even more amusing when you imagine him shouting that in the middle of battle ala anime attacks. I had no expectations for the literal to be kept on that, that would just be silly. XD

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Documentation and checking is now completed.  It took around 30 hours total. I am now going to discuss a few things with luksy and then update the game files.

Of 2202 entries, 236 (11%) need to be changed and 10 need looking at again.  I will document the changes in my next post.

For example.

Big Eruption > Cataclysm
« Last Edit: 2012-06-03 18:32:38 by DLPB »

gramtastic

I registered for this site just to contribute a few of my thoughts in regard to this particular project. I'm afraid I might stir up a bit of controversy with some of my views on grammar and translation, but bear in mind that these are just my personal feelings. I would not try to cram them down anyone's throat.

First of all, I think this is a really interesting idea. I always wondered why no one in the ROM-hacking community took much interest in messing with this game. Considering just how awful the English script is, FFVII is a perfect candidate for re-translation. (right beside FFTactics, which deserves an honorable mention)

Now, I'm not one of these guys who gets all cutthroat about literal accuracy. I do favor translators like Alexander Smith, who uses an artistic license in order to give game scripts an era-specific feel. My biggest gripe is with inconsistencies in grammar. English is a very diverse language, and I don't think everyone can agree on a single system of orthography, nor a specific dialect. What bugs me most is when people from all sorts of backgrounds start to collaborate on a project, and the result reads like a Wikipedia page with mixed U.S. / U.K. spelling and grammar. Real localization departments focus on whatever orthographic choices are the norm within whatever region they're bringing the game to. There is some exception to PAL games, as lazy localization teams might simply recycle the U.S. script without making any changes. Final Fantasy games have probably done this on a number of occasions.

If you've read this far, you've probably gathered from my own spelling that I'm from the U.S. This brings me to the controversial part. I don't particularly like U.K. orthography. The idea that U.K. orthography is "proper English" is very much nonsense. You have to understand that English is a Germanic language, but it eventually married in Latin, then other etymologies. U.K. English in particular bases a good bit of its orthography on French. This is where I have a problem. I have nothing against the French language, but I don't think it has any business marrying into English. Yes, a lot of the vocabulary in Modern English was borrowed from French, but that doesn't mean we need to retain their orthography as well. That just taxes English-speakers with yet another set of orthographic rules to remember, and our language is desperately inconsistent as it is. The idea behind many of the reforms that took place in U.S. English was that we would truncate some of the excrescence in our orthography; thus words like "analogue" would be spelled "analog," because the -ue is not pronounced. The -ue would indicate something when read / written in actual French, but we're not speaking French - we're speaking English. The various oddities in their orthography have no grammatical purpose in English, and that's all that matters.

Rules like this are technically supposedly to be leveled all throughout U.S. English. This means, for instance, that we would would have the following word variations: Demagog, synagog, analog, prolog, epilog, dialog, and so forth. Few of these would actually be recognized by dictionaries. Unfortunately, few people would bother to level this rule, or even be aware of it. When I write something, I do level my grammar. Some people have complained that it looks awkward, but I'm very technical about these details. I believe that the more we can simplify and organize English, the easier it will be for future generations to deal with language acquisition, and for English to be learned on a secondary basis. With current dialectal differences, it's just too messy. When people are exposed to multiple dialects and orthographic rules, they tend to confuse usage, believing that different rules actually have some kind of context-specific usage aside one another. Maybe that's another subject entirely, though...

Next, we have to consider dialectal differences themselves. I don't mean calling a room an apartment versus calling it a flat, but differences that are a bit more tedious. To throw out a few examples:

- In the U.K., it's common for speakers to level which as a relative pronoun, even though it's incorrect. The historical usage rule is thus: that is used for restrictive clauses, and which is used for non-restrictive clauses. (with a few exceptions) If you're not sure what I'm talking about, I can elaborate further the next time I reply.

- In the U.K., it's also common to refer to some group names with plural indicatives. This is also incorrect. The name of a group generally acts as a singular noun, unless it's clearly plural. Consider a couple of examples: "The Beatles are a musical group" would be fine, but "Aerosmith are a musical group" would not. The latter would require the singular indicative is. In the interest of leveling this rule consistently, we may even want to say, "The Beatles is a musical group." I propose this because we would also use the singular indicative in the same sense as, "A group of musicians is about to begin a concert." (is refers to the group - a singular noun; "The Beatles" is also a singular noun, referring to the group as a single entity)

- The god-awful excrescence that appears in words like whilst, amongst, amidst, midst, etc. It's typical in U.K. dialects, but you'll occasionally hear it in U.S. English and abroad. The -st is a form of excrescence that resulted from confusion with superlatives, (don't even ask me how anyone confused superlatives with prepositions) and serves no function at all. The correct variations are: While, (both as a conjunction and a noun) among, and amid. Midst is a bit complicated. While excrescent, there isn't really a grammatical version of it. Instead of saying midst, I would just say, "in the middle of." I can never talk anyone out of this one. People who elect to use excrescent words seem to insist that they're perfectly viable, even though they sound incredibly ridiculous and pollute our vocabulary with even more pointless variations of the same things. When it comes to translations, I avoid them at all costs.

- The less odious but still excrescent variations: Towards, backwards, forwards, upwards, onwards, anyways, etc. The -ward words are all taken from the same etymology, and absolutely are NOT supposed to be suffixed with the -s. I realize that backwards is especially common all throughout English, but I promise that it is also incorrect. You will, again, encounter these more often in U.K. English than U.S. English.

- All right versus alright. This one has a complicated history. Authors would typically insist that you use all right, but many people (or even professional translations) occasionally use alright. All right is something of an unspoken rule when it comes to passing oneself off as a professional writer. If you defy it, some people will actually dismiss you as being just plain lousy. I don't get onto anyone's case for using alright, but I do admit that it bugs me, simply because I get OCD about these things.

- More debate on French orthography appearing in English: The French LL versus the U.S. L - traveller versus traveler, cancelled versus cancel, etc. The extra L doesn't serve any grammatical function in English. How about cheque versus check? Aeroplane versus airplane? There are quite a lot of these to take into consideration. Do you really want characters in FFVII to be spouting any of this? Is your target audience going to raise a few brows?

My suggestion is to pick a single dialect and take it to the absolute extreme. It's going to be the most comfortable for your audience. If you think FFVII is best approached with U.S. grammar, then level every single usage rule without any inconsistencies. If you produce something that looks like a Wikipedia collaboration, then it's probably going to garner criticism for poor translation. Japanese localization teams get enough heat because of perceived "Engrish" based on these very same inconsistencies. In FFIV, for instance, you have a largely U.S. script, but with little oddities like defence instead of defense. Let's please not repeat any of that.

EDIT: Let me also point out that there are some glaring issues in having an amateur translation team. English is a difficult language to wield, and too many native speakers misunderstand some of its intricacies unless they're backed by a good college education. A fine example is the subjunctive mood. Your typical English speaker (no matter where they're from) is only going to get this right about 60% of the time. Some people may not understand why it's odd to have sentences like, "What if I was?" instead of, "What if I were?" but it can make all the difference in being taken seriously. Another example is the usage of relative pronouns. Again, some people may not find it odd to say, "The person that..." instead of "The person who..." but it can make all the difference. Using these interchangeably is sometimes crucial in establishing a character's unique manner of speaking. A character like Barret would probably use a lot of incorrect subjunctives, relative pronouns, and is-leveling to reflect his rough background. Characters like Vincent would probably be more counteractive, using proper subjunctives and the like. I would suggest having someone who understands this stuff in your editing team.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-04 01:12:21 by gramtastic »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Well I will start with the last paragraph.  I do understand it.  Barrett does not use proper English.  At all.  He uses slangy English.  Please give me an example of where I have used proper english with Barrett?  (the newer stuff I have changed and amended even more so, but that is not released yet).  Vincent on the other hand has been localised precisely the way you describe.

I agree that "was" and "were"  are important, but again... the vast majority of Barrett's dialogue conforms to slang and to rough speech. 

I can sum up the remainder of your post with my own personal feelings on the matter.  But before that, please note that the installer ALLOWS American spellings to override the British.   My feelings are this.  My country invented the language based on many other sources and the spellings became established over time.   If Americans had changed spellings to simply be rational, I would have no problem with it... but they have changed it to dumb the language down.  "Color"  "diarrhea"  spring to mind.  I don't like my language being butchered, especially not to make it look like a 5 year old has been playing with crayons.

The other point I made was that although Americans use the technically more correct -ize (which I have no problem with!), they do not do it to all words... meaning some keep as ise.  Which is stupid.  When all is said and done, I despise American English. 

edit

- All right versus alright. This one has a complicated history. Authors would typically insist that you use all right,

I have looked into these things a lot... and "All right" (in this example) has been used in all cases for this project.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-04 01:24:14 by DLPB »

gramtastic

If by dumbed down you mean simplified, then yes. That was part of the intention. English gets a bad rap from non-native speakers due to our non-phonemic orthography. Most every other language on the planet is based on a phonemic orthography. Instead of correcting the issue, we keep celebrating it as if it's some kind of wonderful form of diversity. It's really not; it just makes language acquisition harder than it needs to be.

Speaking of which, this is what Noah Webster had in mind when he drafted several proposals for U.S. English reformation. Our government only adopted a few, and a few others were just mimetic. Had Webster been more successful, U.S. English would have been closer to something like this. Understand that the differences in U.S. English are the result of intentional efforts at reformation, and not misspellings or quirks that simply caught on. We purposefully diverged with the intentions of accuracy and simplification, yet you guys keep accusing us of having some gross misunderstanding of the English language. That, in itself, is the result of an ignorance of U.S. history.

I guess this is all a bit off-topic...

The dialectal differences aside, I just want to emphasize again how difficult it is to wield English. English is a language of many, many exceptions. It's a lot to commit to memory, and people tend to nitpick over a stranded preposition here or there, a split infinitive, confusing comparatives and prepositions... Most, if not all, translation efforts I've seen just have too many of these problems.

If you want your script to be polished, I submit myself as an expert on the subject of English grammar; but I have to insist that anyone who requests my service places total trust in my judgment calls. I've worked on projects in the past, only to have people looking over my shoulder and insinuating that something I've changed is wrong simply because it doesn't look right to them. I would be glad to explain any changes I propose and even hear debate on the subject, but I'm quick to drop out of projects that are based on the consensus of arbitrary standards and personal feelings.

It should be noted, by the way, that I can work with U.K. orthography just as well. I've studied it extensively, and am even familiar with Canadian and Australian rules.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Your advice is very welcome.  At the end I will supply the entire text dump to you, to look over and make notes on.  You may make any notes you wish and bring to my attention anything which you do not like.  We are 56% way through so a while to go before that day arrives.  Keep an eye on this project :)

As for Australian... I have a job for you already.  If you can localise Australian dialect?  We need someone to do a particular map.  Up for it?

gramtastic

Are you asking me to write something with an Australian dialect? There wouldn't be many written differences, as it's mostly just the accent. I can transcribe some kind of accentual caricature though, if that's what you want.

You may make any notes you wish and bring to my attention anything which you do not like.

Funny. This is an example of restrictive versus non-restrictive clauses, and relative pronouns. I'd just hate for something like this to make its way into a translation, because it's really corny outside of the U.K. (even there, it's not technically grammatical) The historic usage rule is that it would be, "anything that you do not like."
« Last Edit: 2012-06-04 02:16:51 by gramtastic »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
See how you do with this.  The idea is they are from a faraway place visiting the Honeybee Manor..  Now any weird faraway dialect will do here.  But maybe Australian will work best?  It is up to you.

Note this dialogue is getting a good once over soon to make it sound natural.  At the moment it doesnt because this part of the game is horrible to translate and localise properly.  I have no idea what the fuck is goin on with the grandad/grandma thing.

Code: [Select]
------------------------------
“Heeh…”
“Haaa…”
“What's wrong,Grandad?
You keep sighing…”
“Heeh…
You know,Grandma…”
“Is this about the room again?”
“Heeh…
I know our son must have spent a lot
renting this for us and all,but…”{NEW}
“A classy place like this for the likes of us…?
Big round bed and a gorgeous tub,
I'm just not used to it.”
“Quit complaining.
This is one of the ritziest
neighbourhoods below the city.
A place like this is to die for.”
“Hey,Grandma.
What's the name of the
company our son works for?”
“Oh,Grandad…
You forgot again?”
“Heeh…
Recently I forget all sorts of things…”
“It's the Shin-Ra Company… Shin-Ra!
It's the biggest company in Midgar.”
“If it's the biggest company,
it really must be somethin'.”
“Of course!
It IS something.”{NEW}
“He's doing well,told me he'd been
made the head of a whole department.”
“….
The reason we can stay in a
room like this is thanks to him.”{NEW}
“We should be grateful.”
“Yeah,you're right.”
“You wanna go bed?”
“Shall we?”
“Good night.”
“Aye,good night.”
“…Zzzz…Ghh…ZzZzz”
“…Heebeeheebee…ZzZz…”
« Last Edit: 2012-06-04 02:17:17 by DLPB »

gramtastic

Before I go anywhere with it, two important questions: 1.) Is this excerpt more or less just a literal translation throw together for editing? 2.) What sort of tone or dialect was reflected in the original Japanese?

Keeping literal to that isn't necessarily important to me, but some people would throw a fit.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
No this was a first draft of that scene.  The original game is far worse...

There is nothing to go on.  It is just 2 people in a room talking to one another about their son.  I am not sure why they refer to themselves as grandma and grandad.  That's one for Luksy. Stand by.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-04 02:42:17 by DLPB »

gramtastic

From what I gather of the context, it sounds like a couple of country bumpkins were given a romantic get-away by their rich son. Maybe the joke is that they're in a kinky love hotel surrounded by debauchery, but their sex life is long over. (hence going straight to bed) I need more information about the original Japanese, but I guess I could slang it up a bit more in the meantime. As I recall, FFVII had some pretty questionable punctuation, so maybe I can address that too. Given there was so much slang in the first place, it's good to use em-dashes a bit creatively, to show where colloquial speech levels abnormally break or abruptly end clauses.

... hum, ho...

Whaddya bellowin' about, Grandpa?

Well, Grandma...

Is this about the room again?

Our son must've spent a fortune rentin' this fancy room and all, but a classy place like this for simple ol' folk like us? — big, round bed, gorgeous tub — I'm just not used to it!

Stop yer complainin'! This is one of the nicest neighborhoods below the city. A place like this is to die for!

Say, Grandma — what's the name of the company our son works fer?

You forgot again?

I'm forgettin' all sorts of things lately...

It's the Shin-Ra company! SHIN-RA! It's the biggest company in Midgar!

Ain't that so? It must really be somethin'!

It IS somethin'!

He's doin' well. Told me he'd been made the head of a whole department!

He's the only reason we can stay in a room like this. Try an' be more grateful!

Yeah. You're right...

You wanna get to bed?

Shall we, then?

Good-night.

Aye. Good-night.

Zzz... grumble, grumble...

"Ritziest" was a funny touch. You should probably keep that one instead of my edit.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-04 02:53:53 by gramtastic »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
These 2 people are old...  they won't use that kind of slangy speech (unless aussie old folk do? But I think this is meant to be a stereotypical couple).  Luksy tells me the silly Grandma granddad thing is there for Japanese to make sure that the audience know they are old... and it doesn't sound odd to a japanese audience.  I have arranged this for you as follows:

Grandad
“Heeh…”
Grandad
“Heeeeh…”
Grandma
“What's wrong?
You keep sighing…”
Grandad
“Heeh…
It's just…”
Grandma
“It's not about the room again, is it?”
Grandad
“Heeh…
I know our son must have spent a bomb
renting all this for us,but…”{NEW}
“A Big round bed… gorgeous tub.
I'm not used to this kind of class…”
Grandma
“Oh, stop it will you?
It doesn't get much better than
this below city.
People would bite your hand off
to come here.”
Grandad
“Oh yeah…
What's the name of the
company our son works for again?”
Grandma
“How can you forget THAT?”
Grandad
“Heeh…
I'm forgettin' all sorts these days…”
Grandma
“It's the Shin-Ra Company… Shin-Ra!
It's the biggest company in Midgar!”
Grandad
“Then… it must really be something?”
Grandma
“Of course it is!”{NEW}
“He's doing really well. Told me he'd been
made head of a whole department.”
Grandma
“…
It's thanks to him that
we're here.”{NEW}
“You should be grateful.”
Grandad
“Aye,you're right.”
Grandma
“Wanna go bed?”
Grandad
“Yeah, I guess we need some sleep.”
Grandma
“Good night.”
Grandad
“Good night.”
“…Zzzz…Ghh…ZzZzz”
“…Heebeeheebee…ZzZz…”
« Last Edit: 2012-06-04 03:20:35 by DLPB »

gramtastic

I'm not sure I understand. Does the original Japanese have some sort of accentual subtext? If so, is it an accent that an English translation would logically approximate with Australian? It looks like we're taking too much of an artistic license.

The first excerpt you showed me was actually pretty good. I wouldn't change anything in it, unless it's too radically different from what the couple said in Japanese.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
And now the full list of changes for R04:
CHARACTERS:

Pilot Apprentice > Trainee Pilot
Tifa's Dad > Tifa's Father

LOCATIONS

Rocket Port Area > Launch Pad Area
Bugen's Research Centre > Bugen Research Centre [incorrect but "Bugen's" can't work can it?]
Chocobo Hut > Chocobo Stable
Church in the Slums > Slum Church
Costa del Sol Harbour > Costa del Sol, Harbour
Costa del Sol Inn > Costa del Sol, Inn
Darkness District, Block 4 > Dark District, Block 4
Dio's Museum/Showroom > Dio's Exhibition
Inside Submarine > Submarine
Junon Airport Passage > Junon Airport, Passage
Last Train from Midgar > Last Train
Shop > Store [generally but not always]
Passage 2 > 2nd Passage
Rocket Launching Pad > Launch Pad

WEAPONS

Assault Trumpet > Battle Trumpet
Ogrenix > Ogrenyx
Super Ball > Superball
Double Machinegun > Machinegun

ARMOURS

Chocobo Bracelet > Chocobracelet
Protection > Armour
Revised Protection > Revised Armour
Cheap Protection > Cheap Armour
Flame Ring > Fire Ring
Cold Ring > Ice Ring
Toughness Ring > Tough Ring

ITEMS

Polar Wind > Antarctic Wind
Bird Feather > Feather
Toxic Substance > Toxic Waste
Sea-Dragon Scales > Dragon Scales
Echo Smokescreen > Echo Screen
Fire-Dragon Fang > Red Dragon Fang
Gravity Ball > Graviball
<Stat> Up > <Stat> Source
Cold Crystal > Ice Crystal
Fire c*cktail > Firebomb
Miniaturise > Miniaturiser
Spider Thread > Spider Web
Space-Time Bomb > Spacetime Bomb
S-Mine > S-mine
A Coupon, B Coupon, C Coupon > Coupon A, Coupon B, Coupon C
Latest Shin-Ra Submarine > State-of-the-Art Shin-Ra Submarine
Palmstrike Rush > Palm Rush
Heavy Shot > Big Shot
Joker Death > Death Joker
Protector of the Planet > Planet Protector
Satan Impact > Satan Slam
Combine > Merge

ENEMIES

Full Armoured Golem > Armoured Golem
Swell Float > Bloat Float
Bottoms Well > Bottom Swell
Flap Beat > Flapbeat
Goulash Trike > Goulashtrike
Gross Panzer - Body (for example) > Gross Panzer: Body
Guard Scorpion > Scorpion Guard
Heli Gunner > Heligunner
Jumping > Jump
Mono Drive > Monodrive
Quick Machinegun > Rapid Machinegun
Twin Head (Left Head) > Twin Head (Left)
Twin Head (Right Head) > Twin Head (Right)
Scissors (Lower Body) > Scissors (Lower)
Scissors (Upper Body) > Scissors (Upper)
Soldier: 1st > Soldier: 1st Class
Soldier: 2nd > Soldier: 2nd Class
Soldier: 3rd > Soldier: 3rd Class
Sonic Speed > Sonic
Double Brain > Brains

ENEMY ATTACKS

Hundred Needles > 100 Needles
Artillery AB > Artillery A/B
Insulter > Insult
Raid > Raider
Before Firing > Loading Cannon
Big Mouth Breath > Big Breath
Big Sound Wave > Supersound
Big Rotation > Big Turn
Teeth Snap > Bite
Whole Body Tail > Body Tail
Insect Needle > Bug Needle
Swoop Attack > Swoop
Fatal Carrot Sword > Lethal Carrot Sword
Freezing Finger > Finger Freeze
Continuous Claw > Crazy Claw
Cursing Words > Hex
Damage Attack > Damage
Dangerous Sting > Savage Sting
Defence End > Defence Down
Defence Start > Defence Up
Double Breath > Twin Breath
Double Attack > Dual Attack
Double Spike > Dual Spike
Dual Wing Shot > Dual Wing Fire
Electric Discharge > Arc
Diverting Magnetic Field > Diverting Field
Electric Rod - Mark 2 > Electric Rod: Mark 2
Energy Absorb > Absorb Energy
Big Eruption > Cataclysm
Finger Shot > Finger Fire
Fire Shot > Fire Blast
Flame Shot > Flame Gun
100 Violent Pecks > 100 Pecks
Flap Wings > Flap
Flying Upper > Flying Uppercut
Crush > Crusher
Free Left Character > Free Left
Free Right Character > Free Right
Freezing Beam > Freeze Beam
Gehena Ganar > Gehenna Ganar
Glass Smash > Smash Glass
Grand Attack > Grand Charge
Hammer Attack > Hammer Smash
Head Attack > Head Charge
Big Headhunting > Full Headhunting
Bubble Hell > Hell Bubbles
Musical High & Low> "High & Low" Suite
Great Tsunami > Mega-tsunami
Icicle Fall > Icicle Drop
Jumping Cartilage Sword > Jump Sword
Last Left Breath > Left's Last Breath
Light Shot > Light Shell
Lightning > Bolt
Crazy Attack > Psycho
Magic Draining Cartilage Sword > Drain Sword
Magic Extinguish > Extinguish
Neo Turk's Ray > Neo Turks' Ray
Paralysis Tail > Paratail
Paralysis Laser > Paralaser
Paralysis Needle > Paraneedle
Petrify Eye > Petrifeye
Frog Petrification > Petrifrog
Petrification Smog > Petrismog
Poisso Shower > Poisso-shower
Propeller Sword > Sword Propeller
Chaotic Strikes > 4x Cut
Chaotic Stabs > Mad Gouge
Revival Magic > Revival
Counterattack Stamp >  Revenge Stamp
Gun Down > Open Fire
Petrification Finger > Petrifinger
Sad Yin Attack > Sad Yin
Scissor Tornado > Tornado Scissors
Shooting Seed > Seed Bullet
Shell Defence > Shell
Shield Defence > Shielding
Shoulder Attack > Shoulder Barge
Solo Wing Shot > Solo Wing Fire
Slap > Face Slap
Harmful Smog > Toxic Smog
Ultra Harmful Smog > Deadly Smog
Sonic Attack > Sonic Raid
Spear Strike > Spear
Dash Punch > Speed Punch
Spider Attack > Spider Blow
Needle Hell > Hell Needles
Spinning Body Blow > Spinning Blow
Petrification Glare > Petriglare
Powerful Kick > Power Kick
Main Artillery > Reserve Artillery
Swing Attack > Swing
Sword Attack > Sword Slicer
Tail Attack > Tail Whip
Drain Tentacle > Tentacle Drain
Combine > Merge
Violent Earthquake > Megathrust
Triangular Attack > Triangular Offensive
Triple Attack > Triple Assault
Turk's Ray > Turks' Ray
Sword Upper > Sword Uppercut
Verbal Attack > Verbal Assault
Wheelie Attack > Wheelie Advance
Numbing Whip > Numb Whip
Double Shield Throw > Shield Throws
Physical Attack > Attack

MATERIA AND ABILITIES

Attribute > Force [The idea is that they are properties which grant abilities]
Enemy Avoid > Enemy Evade
Flame Emission > Flame Thrower
Araise > Arise
Lucky > Luck Plus
Magical Breath > Magic Breath
Magical > Magic Plus
Unknown??? > Enigma
Recovery > Restore
Cut All > Slash All
Speed Plus > Agility Plus
Regenerate > Regeneration

MENU TEXT

Added Ability > Added Effect
Attributes > Forces
Mind > Intelligence

BATTLE DIALOGUE

1/2 Speed > 1/2 Agility
All 7 Fever! > Seven Fever!
All Materia is broken! > Materia is broken!
Failed to combine > Failed to merge
Keep goin',yes? > Keep goin'?
Slot Start! > Start Reel!

In Dispute

• Great Crater is a liberty.  The actual Japanese makes a distinction between the entrance (which looks like a volcanic crater and is named as such) and the hole that leads down into the planet.  The hole is lit called Great Cavity.

We have 2 choices...  call the Great Cavity AND the Crater "Great Crater" or... use Great Chasm and Crater.  The latter would be more accurate.

• Glass Hairpin > Glass Hairpin.   The word means glass-cut in Japanese

« Last Edit: 2012-06-05 00:50:55 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
I'm not sure I understand. Does the original Japanese have some sort of accentual subtext? If so, is it an accent that an English translation would logically approximate with Australian? It looks like we're taking too much of an artistic license.

The first excerpt you showed me was actually pretty good. I wouldn't change anything in it, unless it's too radically different from what the couple said in Japanese.

No the second one is a mile better because it is more accurate to the scene and the tone.  People do not call each other grandma and grandad.  The japanese use a separate accent for that couple made to sound "out of the city", any accent which is different and "out of the way" like australian, is fine.  There is no accurate accent...

In this case there is.  It is fine.  Luksy has just spotted that the 2 people in question are REEVE'S PARENTS.  That is why they speak with kansai dialect... like Cait Sith.  So I will get lex on this.  He deals with the Scottish.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-04 04:44:16 by DLPB »

obesebear

• View Profile
People do not call each other grandma and grandad. 
Actually they do.   Mama and Papa aren't all that uncommon either when it comes to parents.    Well... let me rephrase that.  It's not particularly common that couples refer to each other using such titles, but it's not unheard of (at least where I'm from).   However, it would be grandpa instead of grandad.

So to me keeping it like that wouldn't sound particularly out of place at all.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
"How is our son doing Grandma"

"He is fine, granddad"

No grandma and Grandad that I know would ever talk like that in private, but they aren't supposed to anyway.  It is just a Japanese thing which shouldn't be carried across :)

StickySock

• View Profile
So could someone explain to me why Reeve is Scottish? Im confused because in AC and DoC cait sith has a Scottish accent while Reeve does not. In the original game he did not come off as Scottish to me either. In DoC it confused me why Reeve and cait sith sounded different, but i figured it must be because cait sith is a robot and not controlled (meaning instead on being controlled directly with a remote, cait sith would have artificial intelligence), which explains why everyone was so sad when the first one died. But then does that mean Reeve wasn't controlling cait sith to steal the keystone but was giving orders instead? So what does Reeve really sound like?

Sorry for the rambling i just have always been confused about that. And to make matters worse, the first Reeve you run into in DoC is a robot...   ???
« Last Edit: 2012-06-04 20:08:22 by StickySock »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Reeve's native dialect is Scottish (at least "out of town, like Japanese instructs) like his parents. When he controls Cait he uses that dialect.  All other times he uses a city accent like those in Midgar.  Later in the story he is controlling cait while also in the room with heidegger and scarlet.  Scarlet and heidegger have no idea what Reeve is on about, because he is talking in a scottish accent (kansai in Japan) to Cloud aboard the highwind. (He is therefore speaking in scottish in front of heidegger and scarlet in this scene)

Heidegger makes comment that Reeve is talking crap, and Scarlet makes comment that his accent sounds funny.  This whole scene was completely lost in translation in the original and makes absolutely no sense.

The doc and spin offs have retconned Cait and Reeve, and should just be ignored.

The only reason Scottish has been chosen is because it is different and because Cait Sith myth originated in Scotland. 
« Last Edit: 2012-06-04 20:20:13 by DLPB »

StickySock

• View Profile
Ah, that makes sense. One more thing though, what's up with cait sith at the temple of the ancients? Why is it so dramatic when he dies? Does cait sith have A.I. or is he always manually controlled?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
That again was badly translated...  the light hearted tone is more to do with the idea you are losing a party member which you then find out later you are not.  This was deliberate because it sets you up for a greater fall when Aerith dies for real.  Clever writing.

The temple scene is badly translated though and gives the impression that Cait is a person who will die...  in the actual translation he makes mention that he is just a mechanical toy who is expendable.  Cait is not alive... it is just a robot that Reeve uses to talk through and who is controlled by Reeve.  In my opinion the silliest character in FF universe... because as a main arc character you cannot suspend disbelief to him.  This is the whole reason that one of my mods aims to write him out of the story completely in favour of a human Shin-Ra Spy.

« Last Edit: 2012-06-05 00:09:19 by DLPB »