Author Topic: [7H] FF7 crashes on startup, no entries in APP.log  (Read 7463 times)

Ichigo0Soul

• View Profile
Hi, I'm new to the forums. Trying to figure out why my game crashes instantly upon startup and doesn't leave anything in the log file.

[System Specs]
Intel Core i7 2600k 3.40 GHz processor
ASRock P67 Extreme4
GeForce GTX 760
Gskill Ripjaw RAM 16 GB
FF7 installed to E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII, going to try moving to a different folder and will edit this post as necessary after I'm done testing it.
(^no change after installing to a different folder)

[How I set the game up]
My friends and I got to talking about visual mods for old games, and FF7 came to mind. I found 7H and decided to install it. Before I did I wiped my old install, deleted the FINAL FANTASY VII directory, used the registry cleaner, and then ran CCleaner.

I then reinstalled FF7 (Steam version), mounted the supplied FF7DISC1.ISO, and ran the game converter as an administrator. During the patch an additional window opened which read "This batch cannot run in 64Bit-Mode. Break here. Press any key to continue...". I continued and it finished running the patch with no additional errors.

Then I ran 7H, set up all my settings exactly the way it's shown in the tutorial, and tried downloading a mod. The mod I decided to try was "World Models - Characters," just to test it out and see if it was working. I activated it and hit "Launch Game," which brought up FF7Config.

I tested all of the sound options to make sure everything worked (which it did), and pressed OK. I did notice that under CPU type it shows "3395 MHz Unknown Processor," even though other programs on my computer identify it correctly as an i7 2600k. The game began to launch (screen went black, monitor resolution changed to 1280x720), and then the game crashed. I checked my APP.LOG file and it's completely empty. No contents whatsoever. Windows does show that it's being modified every time the game runs.

Everything works normally when trying to run FF7 through Steam. I've tried running it with a few of the other mods activated one at a time and I get the same result every time. I have tried re-running the game converter and that hasn't helped. I have also tried launching the game with sound disabled, which didn't work either. Please let me know if I need to supply any other information.
« Last Edit: 2016-05-23 05:27:20 by Ichigo0Soul »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Re: [7H] FF7 crashes on startup, no entries in APP.log
« Reply #1 on: 2016-05-23 05:07:14 »
Run the GC again as an admin and turn off UAC beforehand. Choose the overwrite option. It didn't install properly your first time.

Ichigo0Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-05-23 06:06:23 »
I just finished doing what you told me. Turned off UAC, restarted the computer, and re-ran the GC application as an admin. Launched 7H as an admin and tried launching the game. Got the same thing as before. APP.LOG still has no contents.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-05-23 06:43:34 »
Post your FF7_GC.log

Ichigo0Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-05-23 06:48:17 »
Code: [Select]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FF7 GameConverter, Version 7th Heaven
Creator: Kompass63
Editor: EQ2Alyza

Start running at    Date: Mon 05/23/2016    Time:  2:03:40.96
Active code page: 437
ActualPath C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\7ZipSfx.001

You are running "Windows 7 Ultimate" on a 64 Bit Operating System (AMD64)

Real Management 64Bit NATIV

This patch is already applied.
Variables are taken from GameConverterKeys.

Unpatch?
Overwrite?
End?
Selection is:   Overwrite

Patching...

Copying Registry Keys...

Setting GC Registry Keys...

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\GameConverterkeys

Setting language to en...

Detecting drive letter for FF7 Discs...

Drive letter for FF7DISC1 --- I:\

Movies path found at...

"F:\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\data\movies\"

Copying English Files...

Copying 1.02 patch for ff7.exe...

Copying Aali's Custom Driver, version 0.8.1b...

Moving OGG music files...

Adding more Registry Keys...
Adding Registry Keys to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII
Adding Registry Keys to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\Graphics
Adding Registry Keys to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\MIDI
Adding Registry Keys to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\Sound
Adding Registry Key to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\FF7app.exe

Please check over the settings for FF7Config...

1) Sound tab should have a Sound device set. Do NOT leave it blank.
2) Perform the Sound and MIDI tests.
3) Graphics tab can be ignored.
4) Click OK when finished.

Inserting Multi.dll, Hext.dll, and Languagefile...

Patching FF7anyCDv2...

Install the Laptop Keyboard Patch?
(Choose YES if keyboard does NOT have a NUMPAD)
NO

Patching complete.

Check FF7_GC.log for details.

called with ""C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\7ZipSfx.001\FF7_GameConverter_7H.bat""
Arguments: "C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\7ZipSfx.001\FF7_GameConverter_7H.bat"

PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE:          AMD64
PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432:           
Actual Path:                     C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\7ZipSfx.001
Product Name:                    Windows 7 Ultimate
Architecture:                    AMD64
Running in Modus                 64Bit NATIV
OS Bit Version                   64
Reg-Keyname Steam                HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 39140
Reg-Keyname Re-Release           HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{141B8BA9-BFFD-4635-AF64-078E31010EC3}_is1
Reg-Keyname 1                    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.
Reg-Keyname 2                    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\FF7app.exe
Reg-Keyname 3                    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.
Steam Release is present:        Yes
Steam Release Path:               
Re-Release is present:           
Re-Release Path:                 
Original Release is present:     
Original Release Path:           
Destination Path:                F:\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII
Source Path:                     F:\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII
Videos Path:                     F:\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\data\movies
Original Videos Path:             
Original Language                en
Converted Language               en
Original Drive Letter:           
Converted Drive Letter:          I:\
and now clear up Variables...
Ending at           Date: Mon 05/23/2016    Time:  2:03:57.43

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-05-23 07:00:34 »
Can you run the game without 7h? Simply start ff7.exe.

Ichigo0Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-05-23 07:07:37 »
It crashes and I get an error message that says "The instruction at 0x7460bbe3 referenced memory at 0x00000001. The memory could not be written. Click OK to terminate the program". It works perfectly fine when trying to launch the game through Steam. Zero issues. I'm thinking this is stemming from the .bat file that's failing to run.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2016-05-23 15:20:06 »
This might doesn't bring nothing but open the FF7opengl.cfg with Editor and make a # for Load_library. Maybe, just maybe it is the outdated multi.dll which produces this error. DLPB has updated it and made launcher app out of it.

Ichigo0Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2016-05-24 06:01:01 »
I'm not really entirely sure what it is you want me to do. I added a # before the line that says "Load_library" and tried launching it again and still got an instant crash. I'm starting to think that it could also be a hardware issue that I'm having. I repeated all of the setup steps verbatim on my gaming laptop and everything works perfectly. I'm glad I'll at least be able to play it, but it sucks to have to use my laptop for it.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2016-05-24 09:37:08 »
Is ff7.exe set inside Nvidia Control Panel so that it runs on GPU and not Integrated CPU? Compare between the laptop and desktop.

Ichigo0Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2016-05-24 20:31:31 »
I checked under 3D Settings and both my laptop & desktop have ff7.exe set to run on the global setting, which in both cases is an Nvidia GPU. Both have up-to-date graphics card drivers. I'm going to try using my dual-booted Windows 10 installation and see if it works on there. Thanks for the quick responses by the way. I didn't really expect the forum to still be active.

Edit:
Retried on Win10 using the same install as on Win7. Re-ran the GC and it successfully ran the batch file that wouldn't run on Win7. Transferred my AppData\Roaming\7thWorkshop folder over and re-used all of the settings. Hit launch and it started first time. I'm 100% convinced the batch file failing to execute properly is what's causing my issue. I'm going to retry on Win7 now that it ran properly and see if it changes anything.

Edit 2:
Tried again on Win7 and it still doesn't work. I need to figure out a way to get the batch file (the one that opens the FF7_config program) to run. It keeps saying "This batch cannot run in 64Bit-Mode."
« Last Edit: 2016-05-24 21:59:39 by Ichigo0Soul »