Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3008046 times)

rattamatt396

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R05c)
« Reply #4425 on: 2019-03-10 04:38:04 »
the version in final heaven is ro3 how do i manually install ro5c to final heaven? all i get is a torrent file when i download it.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #4426 on: 2019-03-10 11:17:56 »
It's not gonna happen. Best bet is to use the game converter, install R05c onto that base game, then mod with 7H. You will get mixed results, and DLPB isn't the person to ask for 7H help since he doesn't support it. If any updates for Reunion happen in the 7H catalog, it'll be after R06 is released.

Perfect Zell

• View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: 2019-03-10 15:35:25 »
Are the PS1 buttons going to be optional in the next release? I much prefer the button names because I switch between using a keyboard and a non-standard controller.
« Last Edit: 2019-03-10 15:56:07 by Perfect Zell »

rattamatt396

• View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: 2019-03-10 20:48:38 »
well that really sucks cuz i was almost to disc 3 in final heaven before i found out about this mod. I have the steam version also but i dont want to start all over just to play with the mod. I have RO5C installed on that version but now the music wont work in the game. after the train scene opening it cuts out all music. sound effects and FX are just fine. just not the music.

rattamatt396

• View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: 2019-03-10 20:50:10 »
Also why does he not support it? its the best modding tool for this game. Does he just have problems with the developing team?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #4430 on: 2019-03-11 01:04:17 »
No, I don't think he has a problem with me. He's had his own agenda for years on how he wants to mod FF7, and he's sticking to it. Both can coexist, so it's not an issue. It's just a matter of waiting for R06 and the (final) R07 before we can start benefiting from both.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: 2019-03-11 03:06:34 »
I certainly don't.  I do have a problem with 7h - in that I find it to be very very counter intuitive - and too much of a one size fits all approach, which can't ever work well enough across the board to be a good solution (hence the hourly threads that crop up by people either perplexed at how to install mods - or the conflicts of which Qhimm's is running out of space to store).  My secondary problem is how my mod is also being judged on the shortcomings of 7h. When it fails or has a conflict, people sometimes blame me or The Reunion for it. The Reunion - and especially R06+ are meant to be standalone mods - the latter even has its own modding solution.

I'm hoping more people create mods that work properly with the framework added to R06, but, if not, 7h is always there. 

I commend the effort with 7h and I'd never have a problem with anyone who contributes. 

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: 2019-03-11 03:08:59 »
its the best modding tool for this game.

In my opinion, my modding tool is better - and I create my own installer and framework because I have no time to mess about with 7h or any other mod.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: 2019-03-11 03:10:42 »
Are the PS1 buttons going to be optional in the next release? I much prefer the button names because I switch between using a keyboard and a non-standard controller.

Nah - they're mandatorywhen using Beacause / MO, since this is designed to be as it was in the PSX - however, modding the original back in should be a doddle tbh.

rattamatt396

• View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: 2019-03-11 06:26:14 »
Well you have the right to your opinion man but i still prefer 7H. the convenience factor is why i like it. just copy and paste the catalog URL into subscriptions, download the mods you want, and play. its so simple and convenient. No looking for mods online and no messing with folders and files. Its a shame you dont want to bring support of the reunion mod to 7H. Id love to play with the mod but im already very far in the 7H version and dont want to start all over.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: 2019-03-11 16:01:53 »
I'm not talking about R05 (this installer) - I mean my next one, which is also a modding tool. 

rattamatt396

• View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: 2019-03-11 19:03:34 »
I dont even know what mod tool youre talking about man i thought the reunion was just a mod not a mod tool like 7H but like i said im not going to play this until it gets added to the catalog in 7H I dont want to lose all my progress in my current game using 7H. Do you plan on adding RO6 or RO7 to the catalog in 7H anytime in the future? RO3 is in the catalog but is no longer supported. I figured now that 7H is being supported again and no longer on hiatus and will be receiving regular maintenance once again that other developers would jump in too. If you can make a mod tool as simple and convenient as 7H then id maybe consider switching. I'm just rambling now lol but my question in this whole thing is just if youll ever add RO6 or RO7 to the catalog in 7H? 

basmith7

• View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: 2019-03-11 19:41:26 »
DLPB has said multiple times he is not concerned at all with 7H.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: 2019-03-12 09:33:09 »
Phew, there is so much confusion about 7H.
First thing, I hate the catalog. Why? Because it turned 7H into another but more advanced Bootleg. That wasn't what I wanted it to be like, when I worked with Iros on it.
EQ2Alyza has my full respect for what she is doing, but taking care of dozens of mods is not what one person should handle alone. My idea was that every mod creator is making his own iro file, which he takes care of. I knew as mod creator as best what can went wrong when combining mods, because I knew what my mod does change. Sure there are mods which have no author anymore and there we need someone who's taking care of this, but active developed mods should be maintained by the authors.

And Dan you highly misjudge and misunderstand 7H. 7th Heaven is just a tool to easily install mods without going into the process of moving, decompressing, compressing and moving files back. That's its main purpose. But it also has functions, which did allow certain mixes of mods. It has also functions, which allow mods which are hardly realizable with the ordinary tools. You should really have given it a chance. I also think that your new mod manger will be hijacked by 7th Heaven, and we control your mod manager through it, it has the functions for this.

Though, this really doesn't matter at all anymore, because I think quantumpencil's Sister Ray will replace any modmanager in the future. It changes moding the game into an entirely new level. But I guess we need than a real modmanager to sort and handle mods like MO for the Bethesda games.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: 2019-03-12 12:01:01 »
You actually reinforce my problem with 7H in your own post - that the idea was for each user to manage their own mod.  They can't - because

a. The modding structure is too complicated (I personally had a lot of issues simply installing it).
b. People aren't maintaining their own mod (because the end user can't be expected to become a programmer - unless they are experienced modders)
c. Some people are just lazy

It's become instead a one size fits all mod manager - that one person has to continually update and fix the thousand variation problems that exist between mods. As you say, no-one should be expected to do that.

Quantumpencil's Sister Ray does not fix this.  Unfortunately, it simply adds to a problem we already have - extra complexity - yet another solution that the end user will find confusing - while taking over entire modules (which breaks Menu Overhaul for a start - I'd have to port all my changes - thousands of them). I'll reserve proper judgement for when I see it in action - but the bad news is - he's using Aali's dll also - so it's completely incompatible with The Reunion as it stands.

It will be up to the end user and modders to decide which solution they like best.  My solution:

- No compressed / uncompressed archives other than the ones the game originally came with
- No expert modding knowledge needed
- Allows all languages to use English exe
- Is designed so that each mod folder can have one variation in it.  It's designed for one mod - and changing mods simply means changing one line of ini - or using a drop down menu from a config exe.
- Does not break other mods - and mods are optional
- Replaces all audio functions with my own.
- Easily turned on and off globally
- Does not edit the base files at all

When I release R06, we'll see how it fares with modders and users.  7H will still work with it - though it's not intended to be used that way - it's a complete solution on its own. It's designed to be as easy as possible to mod the game.

It should be that The Reunion has to be downloaded separately (it will work on its own with and without 7H and can't be added to a catalogue file).  I do not want my mod simply shipping with 7H every time as I then have no control over my own mod.

« Last Edit: 2019-03-12 13:39:24 by DLPB »

rattamatt396

• View Profile
« Reply #4440 on: 2019-03-12 21:13:19 »
Understandable. I have no modding or hacking knowledge whatsoever. All I am saying is for me personally as a user and not a developer the 7H tool has been very good and simple and easy for me to use. I do not create mods i just use them. If RO6 will still work with 7H when it is released but I have to manually install it I am fine with that as long as I can play it. Figuring out how to convert it into a IRO file will be the only hard part for me because I know that RO5 works as an EXE file.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: 2019-03-14 00:01:24 »
I've taken drastic measures and decided to donate to Maki to help finally sort Aali's dll - and he's doing a glorious job ;)  FFmpeg vrtually sorted - some other bugs being fixed.

And when that's done, I can release R06 after some final testing.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: 2019-03-14 04:16:43 »
Global volume controls for FMV are now implemented.  Mute has also been added.  So now FMV will obey game volume and my new mute command (added by me) - as well as being global sound without cutting out when window focus lost (fixed by Maki).

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: 2019-03-14 08:09:10 »
DLPB,

may I ask whether you have been creating your own tool practically all by yourself?

And additionally, what you believe its current downsides are?

Thanks again for the hard work and for sharing it with us.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: 2019-03-14 16:26:51 »
Practically all by myself.

The two exceptions are

1. Charlie Beer - who is proof checking the retranslation project.  He's now added as one of the three main credits due to the level of work he's put in
2. Maki - who is sorting aali's dll to work with VScode / GCC - so I can use it with my own dll and The Reunion.  There are some bugs caused by sloppy code which will only manifest themselves on certain compilers, like the one I'm using [btw my own normal programming environment - Delphi - does not allow this.  It's just not that stupid].

The downsides to my new mod manager are that each CUSTOM folder contains one active user mod (global is global of course)  - The ability to have more than one mod working per folder means manual work will need to be done where there are conflicts.  Unlike 7H - this is the job of modders to accomodate it - or the End User.  The manager itself is as easy as it gets to work with, though.

For example, The BASE folder is for translation specific stuff (at the moment, this is Beacause - but can be changed to each lang).

Next GLOBAL - for things that generally won't conflict - like music files.

The  CUSTOM - which will supersede global where a conflict occurs.  If you had the SAME menu file in base, global, and custom - and custom was enabled - you'd see Custom file loaded only.

The Priority order is CUSTOM > BASE > GLOBAL.

ROOT will only be used when none of the above are present. ROOT files are never edited or touched.

It's much easier to see this in practice than me explaining it.
« Last Edit: 2019-03-14 16:42:21 by DLPB »

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #4445 on: 2019-03-14 21:57:07 »
Anxious for the milestone to come.

Will be there a glorious trailer/sneak peek of the whole thing?

Thanks for don't stop this DLPB.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: 2019-03-15 01:44:56 »
I'll certainly try ;)

In the meantime, here's how the new ini currently looks

[OVERRIDE]
Disable_The_Reunion = n

[OPENGL]
full_screen = n
window_x = 0
window_y = 0
window_width = 1280
window_height = 960
preserve_aspect = y

enable_vsync = n
texture_cache_size = 1024
compress_textures = n
save_textures = n
use_pbo = n
use_mipmaps = n
fancy_transparency = y
post_file = psx.post
enable_postprocessing = y

# on-screen logging
show_fps = y
show_missing_textures = n
show_stats = n
error_popup = n
info_popup = y
ff7_popup = n
trace_reunion_direct = n
trace_direct = n
trace_files = n
trace_all = n
trace_loaders = n
more_ff7_debug = n
opengl_debug = n

[CUSTOM]
Mod_ID = x12345

[AUDIO REPLACEMENT]
Music_Vol =89
SFX_Vol =62
Mono_Output = n
Centre_Battle_SFX = n
Field_SFX_In_Battle = y
Music_Balance_Functions = n
Load_SFX_To_Memory = y
Audio_Log_Level = 5

# Weapon mod: 0 = Off / 1 = Minigame updates / 2 = Further field updates / 3 = full mod
# 60fps Battles mod: 0 = Off / 1 = On (no interpolation) / 2 = On (interpolated model animations)
[MAIN]
New_Translation =  y
Model_Overhaul = n
Soldier_Quest = n
Weapon = 0
_60fps_Battles = 0

[TWEAKS]
Default_Run = n
New_Gauge_Colours = n
Closed_Mouth_Models = n
QPC = y
Game_Time_Is_Realtime = n
Transparent_Dialogue = y
Show_More_Status = 0

[FIXES]
Disable_Internal_Fixes = n
Battle_Key_Press = y

#For those poor souls with epilepsy
[DISABLE SCREEN FLASH]
Critical_Hit = n
Boss_Death = n
Summon = n
Transition_Effects = n
Disable_All = n

« Last Edit: 2019-03-15 01:48:16 by DLPB »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: 2019-03-15 09:28:05 »
use_mipmaps can be set to y. Tough, i honestly didn't see a noticeable difference in visual, but it should make the image less noisy in 3d scenes by reducing the texture resolution the bigger the distance of the camera is to the texture.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: 2019-03-15 16:06:28 »
Those aren't the default values - simply my current settings for testing.  But as you say the difference is minimal.

UGoBoom

• View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: 2019-03-19 11:41:34 »
This mod is top notch man, I've read some articles and went through the db and damn y'all put in so much effort to un-jank this beloved game. Thank you so much, I'd like to help contribute with testing and improving the experience for this mod when ran on FF7 for Steam Play / Linux.

I tried the R05c installer with wine-4.2 staging, and it completes the install but with two errors at the end (both TextMod.exe and HextEdit.exe with the usual encountered a serious problem and needs to close). I've now found this to mean most tweaks don't work, only Beacause and Model Overhaul seem to work.

If I run the installer in my Windows 10 VM, and copy the files from Windows steamapps to Linux steamapps, it runs with all the mods, except if 60FPS battles is installed, the game crashes, and when omitting 60FPS battles in an install, I end up losing menu enhancement and autorun too for some reason. These are probably fault of steam play, I'll have to wait for when I get my new graphics card to test on the Windows side more.