Author Topic: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)  (Read 707203 times)

RPGWiZaRD

Re: [Release v1.4.5] WallMarket KERNEL.BIN editor
« Reply #775 on: 2010-10-17 10:29:50 »
Maybe I'm blind but I can't find a download link anywhere for this tool?

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #776 on: 2010-10-17 10:47:30 »
A future version is going to allow importing a menu font map like the one he showed a few posts down. I'm going to modify the "raw data" window to show what text will look like from the game's perspective. That will also have a grid that you can click on to add special characters and stuff.
So you're going to add real support for Japanese encodings as well?

Anyhoo, anyone who really cares about space will just, y'know, delete the redundant scenes.
In some cases that's just not enough. My SCENE.BIN is 264 KB and I *did* remove all the empty scenes and subcompressed the hell out of every string.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #777 on: 2010-10-17 13:42:12 »
So you're going to add real support for Japanese encodings as well?

I suppose that's one of the ultimate goals, but I don't know how that encoding works exactly. You happen to have the menu text map you could email me so I can test with it?

That's not a question. It's in the first post within the first 10 lines. It's made huge so you can't miss it.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: 2010-10-17 17:41:05 »

That's not a question. It's in the first post within the first 10 lines. It's made huge so you can't miss it.

But it isn't!

This thread starts from what was the second post in the thread before everything was split between releases and feedback. In fact, I can't for the life of me find the original OP, even when I look through the old posts on your profile.

EDIT:

Found it, on Google chache (search for the full title of this thread). Dunno what the hell happened, but your OP disappeared into thin air.
« Last Edit: 2010-10-17 17:51:01 by Bęztr ok Stœrstr »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #779 on: 2010-10-18 04:48:44 »

But it isn't!

This thread starts from what was the second post in the thread before everything was split between releases and feedback. In fact, I can't for the life of me find the original OP, even when I look through the old posts on your profile.

Whagehbha? What happened? It wasn't like that two days ago! Methinks obesebear was attempting to separate discussion from projects again. A failed experiment gone awry, I say!

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #780 on: 2010-10-18 10:18:40 »
I suppose that's one of the ultimate goals, but I don't know how that encoding works exactly. You happen to have the menu text map you could email me so I can test with it?
The encoding is documented in the wiki and the symbol list can be found here.
« Last Edit: 2010-10-18 10:20:24 by Gemini »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #781 on: 2010-10-18 12:00:58 »
...the symbol list can be found here.

That's a great table and I'll hold on to that, but I want to make it look like it does in the game and allow for custom character entry. Since I don't have the extended font map images I don't know how to handle them.

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #782 on: 2010-10-18 12:24:03 »
You mean an actual font dump? Here it goes:

The original image is actually 2 TIMs using a palette trick to switch between subsets. I've uploaded them here just in case you wanted to check them out for yourself.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #783 on: 2010-10-18 13:27:16 »
You mean an actual font dump? Here it goes:
[img]

The original image is actually 2 TIMs using a palette trick to switch between subsets. I've uploaded them here just in case you wanted to check them out for yourself.

Thanks, Gemini! That's exactly what I wanted. :)

But it isn't!

EDIT:

Found it, on Google chache (search for the full title of this thread). Dunno what the hell happened, but your OP disappeared into thin air.

I figured out what happened. It's not Obesebear's fault, but he probably needs to be aware of it. It's an SMF thing. I tried using the quick modify to edit an earlier post, but it made the changes TO THE OP! It just overwrote it as if it were the post I was trying to modify. Well, I reconstructed the first post from Google cache thanks to Legistos' tip and it has the correct links to the working version of 1.4.5. I never bother looking at the first post unless there's a new version so I didn't see there was a problem. Sorry 'bout that everyone.

RPGWiZaRD

« Reply #784 on: 2010-10-27 17:16:00 »
Hmm, maybe me and another person is doing something wrong but we can't seem to get items editing working. Editing the description and Item strength just doesn't seem to work, there's no change when applying the changes. Most of the other things we've edited works just as expected though.

Also I'd like to point out a thing about the "Attack" page, editing Attack Strength of any materia, say a green Bolt materia for example will not only affect your characters using it but also every enemy using the spell too but that could very well be how it is supposed to be (in case the attack strength is always taken into account when calculating enemy's spells too which seems weird to me tho when each attack of the enemy has its own settings) . I also found a somewhat related issue to ProdCloud, but I'll post about that in that thread.
« Last Edit: 2010-10-27 17:24:39 by RPGWiZaRD »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #785 on: 2010-10-27 22:07:18 »
Hmm, maybe me and another person is doing something wrong but we can't seem to get items editing working. Editing the description and Item strength just doesn't seem to work, there's no change when applying the changes. Most of the other things we've edited works just as expected though.

Works for me. You saving after you do this?

Also I'd like to point out a thing about the "Attack" page, editing Attack Strength of any materia, say a green Bolt materia for example will not only affect your characters using it but also every enemy using the spell too but that could very well be how it is supposed to be (in case the attack strength is always taken into account when calculating enemy's spells too which seems weird to me tho when each attack of the enemy has its own settings) . I also found a somewhat related issue to ProdCloud, but I'll post about that in that thread.

See what I wrote in the PrC thread.

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: 2010-10-28 09:54:13 »
I bet RPGWiZaRD expects the changes to his items to show in the menu, whereas you can only change their in-battle effects right now. Though it doesn't explain why he can't edit the descriptions... ...Maybe his Kernel2.bin is set to "read-only" ? Or he tries to edit a PSX Kernel when the PC mode is selected at the bottom (or vice versa) ?
« Last Edit: 2010-10-28 12:17:23 by Armorvil »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: 2010-11-03 10:10:09 »
Hi, is there any way to get the customisation by Alphabetical order (Name) working properly when you edit item names?

I am assuming it will take some hex edits somewhere?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #788 on: 2010-11-03 12:00:39 »
Hi, is there any way to get the customisation by Alphabetical order (Name) working properly when you edit item names?

Do you mean actually rearranging the data in the KERNEL or just the way it displays. I'm against both, but they're both possible.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: 2010-11-03 13:02:42 »
I mean when you are in the actual game, in the item menu and you select to arrange by NAME.  If you have changed item names it still arranges by the original alphabetical order.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #790 on: 2010-11-03 14:28:54 »
I mean when you are in the actual game, in the item menu and you select to arrange by NAME.  If you have changed item names it still arranges by the original alphabetical order.

Oh! I assume that it's just a list the game has pre-generated (Start with index 23, then 127, then 30, etc with whatever the right numbers are) and stored somewhere (I can't find it). There's no data in the KERNEL.BIN about the order of the items alphabetically. Doing an alphabetic sort on a variable list is a time consuming process and probably not something you'd want to do every moment the user wants it to happen.

It's probably easier that the game doesn't have to make decisions like: "Does A▪M Cannon come before 4-Point Shuriken, after Autograph, or between All Creation and Amulet?"

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: 2010-11-03 14:45:39 »
yeah it is by ID, I hoped you knew where they were but I am guessing it is in the exe...  afterall it is a menu part :)  I will get Kranmer on it.

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #792 on: 2010-11-03 14:58:02 »
Check function "FixSortItemMenu()" in my sources. The stuff for item sort is all there.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: 2010-11-03 15:00:16 »
Cheers!

philman

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: 2010-11-03 21:47:24 »
i don't know if i can say this but NFITC1 or anyone knows the number what i put in HP and MP in character growth? i changed sometimes the HP and MP numbers of 9999 limit break patch and i want have 30000 HP and 3000 MP using only one HP and MP up. and my characters are on lv.50 (rounding)

now the characters have 5000 (rounding) of HP  :-(

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #795 on: 2010-11-03 22:08:05 »
i don't know if i can say this but NFITC1 or anyone knows the number what i put in HP and MP in character growth? i changed sometimes the HP and MP numbers of 9999 limit break patch and i want have 30000 HP and 3000 MP using only one HP and MP up. and my characters are on lv.50 (rounding)

now the characters have 5000 (rounding) of HP  :-(

You'll just have to play with the curves check the readme for info about how they work. The graph in WM will be a good guide to telling you what to expect per level. It's accurate +/- ~0.2%.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: 2010-11-19 16:52:15 »
The text bug is still here and a new one (mentioned before) I have not seen before arised.

When I saved first time (saved original kernel files), all the limit words became }word

so for example healing Wind became }Healing Wind.

After saving second time, they are now }}Healing Wind for example.

Also, a load of other stuff was messed up again like Soldier becoming So  ier

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: 2010-11-19 18:52:27 »
What you describe, I experienced once or twice while making my mod. I think it has to do with space limitations, in kernel2.bin. Since the two letters L and D are often next to each other, and since the program needed space, it deleted all instances of "ld" throughout kernel2.bin, hence your problem. Same thing about {BOX:RED, that is missing from your limits' names.

I fixed it by deleting all key-item descriptions (who needs those ?), as well as the summon attack names (though the latter led to a weird glitch ; summon attacks sometimes turning into gibberish like _%/!%, instead of not printing anything). Anyone can experience this by continuing playing my demo past Midgar, until you get Choco Mog. You'd sometimes see the gibberish in place of "Deathblow !!".

Anyways, you'll still have to retype the missing "ld" and "{BOX:RED", though.

And something important : when deleting, type at least one space in place of the deleted text. Trust me : leaving no character in place of a name / description is a bad idea.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-19 19:02:46 by Armorvil »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: 2010-11-19 20:28:58 »
Why dont we just get rid of these size limitations? IIRC its just a simple number in ff7.exe that needs to be patched.
Is it just kernel2.bin thats limited?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: 2010-11-20 13:27:00 »
It is aali?  Then yes... definitely!  But what Hex address? (and it is kernel2.bin which has this issue)

Also, this was the original kernel and kernel2.bin, and I edited a very small part, nowhere near enough to go over the limit, so this seems to be a major bug.