Author Topic: [Steam] Steam to 1998 conversion - Game Converter (Beta V0.11)  (Read 219596 times)

Isuldor

• View Profile
Re: FF7 Game Converter -BETA-
« Reply #50 on: 2014-01-30 09:26:23 »
This is a known bug of Nvidias Optimus solution. The wraper.dll conflicts with it.

C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\coprocmanager  --> 'Nvd3d9wrap.dll' rename it to '_Nvd3d9wrap.dll'. Change it back after you have setuped the config.
Oh fascinating.  Thanks  ;D

Update: The issue I reported before must have been my own fault, sorry about that. Out of curiosity I went back and formatted that machine, using process monitor and winmerge to watch the registry and diff the folders.  I had made a backup of a previous configuration including registry keys that worked. After observing what your app does (hoping to identify the bug) the game ended up working afterall. So your patch definitely works on win7 64-bit.  My apologies!

Second edit: I can run ff7.exe without running ff7config.exe at all by setting the following registry key:

Code: [Select]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\Sound]
"Sound_GUID"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00
There, no more dependency on ff7config.exe!  You can test this by setting the key back to its default, and ff7.exe will require ff7config to be run again:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII\1.00\Sound]
"Sound_GUID"=hex:
« Last Edit: 2014-01-30 13:43:44 by Isuldor »

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2014-01-30 16:21:07 »
Sorry about that, I was posting from my phone while heading off to work.
First gripe before you ever know what's going on...  :x

It would be nice if either of these apps were open source, or if the process that they execute were described in detail.  Otherwise I'm left to diff the directory and registry for changes to try to figure out what you're doing.
My GC is not intended as open source, but it is a self-extracting WinRar archive.
So you can unpack the EXE with WinRar or (maybe) other packers.
The most important file that I have made, is the "FF7_GameConverter_0.9b.bat".
Anyone who knows anything about bat files can very accurately comprehend everything, including the changes to the registry.

It made me wonder why it's still necessary when we're using Aali's opengl driver.   I'm tempted to diff the registry and document all the records necessary for the game to run so we can make that file obsolete.
Aalis driver works exclusively with the old (1998) version of FF7.
For this reason, the conversion of the Rerelease or Steam release is mandatory.
A converter (no matter which one) will never be "obsolete"
But I have hope that my converter is taken over by PitBrat and will be integrated in the next bootleg.

Second edit: I can run ff7.exe without running ff7config.exe at all by setting the following registry key:
"Sound_GUID"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00
Congratulations!  ;D
You have one (of two) keys found, which causes the old FF7.exe to start the FF7Config.exe if there is an empty value.
With the FF7Config.exe the correct value is then entered.
The value 00 is wrong and leads to a crash.
Another problem is that the key among the different requirements has to be at various positions.
Even to start with admin right or not makes a difference.
I have FF7-old installed under many different conditions and checked the registry.
I think I have covered all the conditions and the matching keys, but I'm only human :-)
My GC deletes exactly this value in (hopefully) all positions, so FF7Config.exe is called automatically.
Problem is that all of its programs must be started with the same conditions, otherwise sets FF7Config.exe the keys in a different position, as they be read from the FF7.exe afterwards.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-30 16:23:55 by Kompass63 »

Isuldor

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2014-01-30 23:52:04 »
Not converter obsolete; ff7config obsolete..

We don't use midi anymore so when does it crash?  Works for me so far. ff7config + nvidia can crash as Kaldarasha said

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2014-01-31 00:56:01 »
Not converter obsolete; ff7config obsolete..
ff7config calculates the value of "Sound_GUID"
Unfortunately, I do not know how to find out this value otherwise :cry:

We don't use midi anymore so when does it crash?
The game wants to play MIDIs.
That it can be diverted to other music files does not matter, for the game, the MIDI functionality must be available.

ff7config + nvidia can crash as Kaldarasha said
It would may be possible to integrate the appropriate settings in the converter, but I can not correct because I do not have Nvidia's Optimus solution.

Zerox

• 3D Models for FF7
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2014-02-04 03:22:49 »
If I convert my steam version it won't ask me for a disc right? Because the whole reason I bought the steam version was to play without needing the disc as my laptop has no disc drive.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2014-02-04 07:11:30 »
The game requires a volume with name "FF7DISC1" (or FF7DISC2 or FF7DISC3).
This can be a USB stick, SD card or a hard drive partition, that does not matter.
Thanks AnyCDv2 of Kranmer only one volume is required.

Zerox

• 3D Models for FF7
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2014-02-04 22:33:02 »
Awesome thank you for your awesome converter!

Arsirus UK

• I built it but they did`nt turn up
    • View Profile
    • Project Genesis
« Reply #57 on: 2014-02-05 13:54:20 »
Get the error unable to load movie plugins cannot continue

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2014-02-05 14:29:18 »
Get the error unable to load movie plugins cannot continue
What does that have to do with my converter?

quitit

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2014-03-27 23:51:14 »
Hey Kompass63, I've been trying to convert my steam version and I have been getting issues with it, I posted it in the sticky "[Tutorial] Tifa's Bootleg" thread so I'll just link to the message I sent there that describes my issue: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13212.msg211735#msg211735

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2014-03-29 03:53:14 »
Yes, I read the post and answered there.
If you find the FF7_GC.log, please post it.

quitit

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2014-04-01 23:24:52 »
Hey Kompass63, I decided to post here instead of cluttering up the other thread.  Saw the FAQ, looks like I need at least 5 post before I can PM.
In any case, I did the command you told me to try, its output is:

a
b
c
d

Thanks.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2014-04-11 18:36:14 »
The 0.8.1 driver update isn't good for Bootleg (also for those who have an old graphic card). Can you make a build with 0.7.11b?
I also suggest (if you haven't done it already) to move the music files from the re-releases to path the new driver read them out.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2014-04-11 18:39:53 »
I assume Bootleg 040 install v0.7.11 by itself but i've don't test if 0.8.1b will be overwritten.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
Re: [FF7Steam] Game Converter (Beta V0.11)
« Reply #64 on: 2014-07-18 18:14:17 »
Kompass, I guess the Game Converter needs an update to use the new version of DLPB's Tools. http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13574.0

Junichi

• View Profile
How could I play with my save of the re-release game?

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
Maybe you can convert them with Black Chocobo:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9625.0

The save is stored in ...Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII Steam\user_*****.
The old version has the saves stored in the root directory of the game under save.
So you can also try to move the save**.ff7 from documents\... to save.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-21 20:27:06 by Kaldarasha »

Junichi

• View Profile
Thank you

Insight

• Nothing special here...
    • View Profile
I am not sure if it was discusses before here (or somehwere else), but i tried to use the latest converterm and it does work pretty well. It still has a problem with certain install paths. For example "D:\Program Files (x86)\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII\"  is not working. He will say that he cannot access the path because of the syntax "\Square". You could fix that by code or you have to manually specify the path like "D:\Progra~2\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII", then it is working. It is really just a minor suggestion of fixing.

bashrc

• View Profile
I guys sorry in advance for my poor english (I'm French).

I wonder if i apply the converter on my fresh steam install and then apply the Bootleg40 i could be able to play my game in FRENCH!
The hardcore mod from EQ2Alyza config is good fun but i would like to keep the normal mod with FRENCH text . What can i do for it ?

Even without using the converter i had to move some file from the steam relaease from x:/GAMES/FF7/data/lang-fr to the good directory to apply the PATCH from BOOTLEG40.
My game is working fine right now execpt the language bother me a little bit ;)

Thx in advance for any help.

PS: If you need someone for a french translation of an How to, let me know.

Alfarjamie

• View Profile
Converter does not work, win 8.1 x64 steam version. Detects folder, i press enter, command prompt just closes and does not apply any kind of patch.

Bobby

• View Profile
The converter has always worked fine for me, but is there a list of all the registry key areas needed to be changed in order to move a full install?

dizzy format

• View Profile
7h converter is getting stuck on patching any would be greatful

TheOmegaFactor

• View Profile
i run the converter and and it says: Fatal Error, No languages found
and i have to abort
i uninstalled and cleaned my the reg keys like 3x each and it just won't work
help?

EDIT: Nevermind. i fixed it somehow...idk how though so don't ask D:
« Last Edit: 2016-02-10 08:39:18 by TheOmegaFactor »

mkwong98

• View Profile
Hi, the characters making up the boxes around "Search OS-Architecture" and "Real Management" appear as garbage text on my computer which is running Windows 10 Chinese.

:: *** get OS Version & Architectur
ECHO 矬闡闡闡闡闡闡闡闡闡闡闡醴
ECHO ?Search OS-Architecture ?
ECHO 斂闡闡闡闡闡闡闡闡闡闡闡囁

ECHO 奼迋迋迋迋迋迋迋迋迋迋迋迋迋迋?
ECHO ?Real Management %Realmodus% ?
ECHO 迋迋迋迋迋迋迋迋迋迋迋迋迋迋?
ECHO Real Management %Realmodus%>>FF7_GC.log
« Last Edit: 2017-01-07 10:37:15 by mkwong98 »