Author Topic: [FF8PC-00] Anything out there?  (Read 2623 times)

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
[FF8PC-00] Anything out there?
« on: 2019-04-26 18:40:03 »
Having just finished a play-through of FF7 with some of the glorious field and battle texture mods, I busted out my FF8 disks to do the same for the first time in ~15 years, annnnnddd... ewwww.  Sure, the characters were a step up from the chibis of FF7, but the backgrounds (especially battle scenes), text, menus, and the rest were incredibly jarring.  So I figured I'd overlay some graphics mods for this as well, but it seems as if everything is dependent on the Steam version.  Is there something blocking the original CD release from the TLC that FF7 received?

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Re: [FF8PC-00] Anything out there?
« Reply #1 on: 2019-04-26 19:19:12 »
No directX9.

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-04-26 19:31:59 »
No directX9.
Why does that matter?  FF7/Win98 didn't have DX9 either, and aali's driver is OpenGL anyway.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-04-27 09:55:12 »
It does matter because directx9 has a lot of texture injectors already and Omzy seems to know how those injectors do work. And since Aali hasn't added support for external textures and hadn't released the source code for a long time the people decided to go with the lesser complicated way.

Though, Maki is working on an Open FFVIII which rebuilds the engine of the game (I pretty sure when this thing is done SE will use it to port FFVIII to PS5, Switch and the other minor devices).

LordUrQuan

• LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-04-27 15:15:49 »
It does matter because directx9 has a lot of texture injectors already and Omzy seems to know how those injectors do work. And since Aali hasn't added support for external textures and hadn't released the source code for a long time the people decided to go with the lesser complicated way.
Ok, color me even more confused  :o If Aali's OpenGL driver doesn't support texture injection, how do all these upscale and GAN mods work?  Or is that where hext comes in (game makes a texture/background/whatever call, hext intercepts and redirects, and the Aali driver isn't even aware that what it's being given wasn't the original graphic)?

Though, Maki is working on an Open FFVIII which rebuilds the engine of the game (I pretty sure when this thing is done SE will use it to port FFVIII to PS5, Switch and the other minor devices).
I saw the Open thread, might have to give that a whirl so original disk folks like me have a pathway forward as well :)