Author Topic: WIP Tifa  (Read 78823 times)

GodGundam

WIP Tifa
« on: 2011-09-23 08:46:27 »
As APZ hinted at in another thread, someone was working on a Tifa model replacement. That person was me and I am posting this WIP to prove that it is being done. I am new to these forums, though some of you may know my work from other things, such as that I am the lead Modeler of the half-life mod Earth's Special Forces (http://www.esforces.com/) and have worked on various other mods. Anyways, that is enough about my background, onto the model.

She's about 90% done Mesh wise, around 3200 Tris more or less. Need to finish attaching her hair to her head on the bangs side, model her earrings, her arm pad, and possibly detail the shoes more. I'm still unsure of the poly count that I can get away with for these model replacements. APZ said about 3000 or so, but I'm convinced it can go higher from that Cloud model Millenia and Timu did, so if I could get a confirmation there that would be nice. I also plan on making her weapons as well, since I noticed it was just modified versions of her hand anyway, shouldnt be too hard to replicate.

I tried to combine styles of the Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts Tifa Designs while throwing in some of the flare of the original (hence large Breasts), she is a tricky one though. Also, as I have not modded FF7 before myself, I am concerned about her animating appropriately in-game. Mainly about if I should more or less edit her to be proportionally equal to the Original model or not, though I am not a fan of those proportions. So my question is, is it possible to edit the skeleton positions for her and keep her animations, WHILE looking decent, or should I just save myself a headache and go the original proportion route.

Any decent answer from people who have put new models in-game would be appreciated. I'd like to get this right the first time around ^_^
« Last Edit: 2011-09-23 08:54:19 by GodGundam »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
Re: WIP Tifa
« Reply #1 on: 2011-09-23 10:38:44 »
Wouldn't be Tifa if she didn't have those tig old bitties.

Welcome to the boards, looking forward to the finished product.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-09-23 10:55:11 »
Wouldn't be Tifa if she didn't have those tig old bitties.

Not big enough atm  :-P

Welcome GodGundam, it's always nice to have experienced people around. Saves time to reach a perfectly updated game.
Can't help you with your issues tho, AFAIK you can edit the skeleton from the models but it's somewhat a pain in the ass.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-09-23 11:08:29 »
Welcome! Would you be interested in joining forces with Team Avalanche?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-09-23 11:35:11 »
Any decent answer from people who have put new models in-game would be appreciated. I'd like to get this right the first time around ^_^

I am interested in importing your model :) You can send me a model file of the finished product and I'll be glad to import it :)

pacito-ex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-09-23 12:35:50 »
Definitely, she definitely has tigger bitties in proportion to that fmv pic... just sayin lol

Giullio

• Where is the love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-09-23 15:04:43 »
Tears of joy droped from my eyes =,)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-09-23 18:11:20 »
As someone who has imported dozens and dozens of models, I can tell you that it is ok if the model isn't the same size as the original.  Bone lengths can indeed be adjusted as can animations.  So feel free to model her as you see best.  However, it will definitely benefit you to look at how the original Tifa model is put together and at least attempt to emulate it.

Basically, the closer it is to the original, the easier it will be for me, or whoever, to get the animations looking as good as possible.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 2011-09-23 18:19:44 »
Can't wait to see what this looks ingame
A good Tifa model was long overdone

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-09-23 20:10:49 »
Don't forget the red dolphin tail!

GodGundam

« Reply #10 on: 2011-09-23 20:58:03 »
Thank you for all the positive posts so far, glad to see your all quite excited for this.

Not big enough atm

Well obviously the original are still quite a bit larger, however I didn't want to go overboard with the size on mine and make them look rediculous. I still may increase the size slightly though.

Welcome! Would you be interested in joining forces with Team Avalanche?

Not at this time is probably all I'll say here, when she is released you guys can add her to your official release if you want but I really don't know if I'll make another model for FF7 after this. I have other obligations to do work for still that need attention, this was more or less just something to deviate from the normal for me. To give me a change of pace so to speak. I do Appreciate the offer however.

I am interested in importing your model :) You can send me a model file of the finished product and I'll be glad to import it :)

I'd like to try my hand at this first if you don't mind, I enjoy new experiences and this should prove to be entertaining. I will ask if I have questions however. =)

As someone who has imported dozens and dozens of models, I can tell you that it is ok if the model isn't the same size as the original.  Bone lengths can indeed be adjusted as can animations.  So feel free to model her as you see best.  However, it will definitely benefit you to look at how the original Tifa model is put together and at least attempt to emulate it.

Ahh, this is one of the answers I was looking for. That puts my mind at rest for the most part then on this. I thank you sir for the clear answer.

As for how they are put together, I have looked over the original model files and have seen how they are put together. I do plan to cut her up and rebuild her that way, just want to finish the base model first. I haven't decided if I'll have her textured first and then cut it or cut it then texture, but the end result should be the same either way more or less.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-09-24 05:06:04 »
As for how they are put together, I have looked over the original model files and have seen how they are put together. I do plan to cut her up and rebuild her that way, just want to finish the base model first. I haven't decided if I'll have her textured first and then cut it or cut it then texture, but the end result should be the same either way more or less.
APZ can definitely help you on that. His first Cloud animated as though it and the texture were made for the game.  For details on the best way to texture, I'd say he's the man to talk to.

kicker

• Hojo...what a queer fellow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-09-24 05:42:35 »
all this years i thought tifa wore tight shorts :o turns out it's a mini skirt :P Glad you are working on this model. It's a relief to know that characters are slowly being finished. Also, i have followed your work esforces and i can't wait for trunks to be animated!

dustybomb

« Reply #13 on: 2011-09-24 06:15:42 »
(Finally out of lurking these forums 8))

That's a nice Tifa you got there GodGundam, I can't see anything wrong with it. About her breasts however, I think you have them fine. (That FMV makes them look exaggerated anyway. Yes I know Tifa has big breasts, but the concept art doesn't make them look THAT big :P)

all this years i thought tifa wore tight shorts :o turns out it's a mini skirt :P Glad you are working on this model. It's a relief to know that characters are slowly being finished. Also, i have followed your work esforces and i can't wait for trunks to be animated!

Really? How did you think that? (Then again, I thought that as well when I first played ff7. It wasn't till I saw the original artwork that I thought otherwise.)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-09-24 18:42:33 »
As i have both imported and made and textured models, id suggest texturing after the split. Youll get extra polies from the caps of each object and its eaiser to texture those nicely after theyre modeled!

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-09-24 21:51:14 »
Yay! I'm so happy to hear of a Tifa being worked on.

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-09-25 00:31:22 »
As i have both imported and made and textured models, id suggest texturing after the split. Youll get extra polies from the caps of each object and its eaiser to texture those nicely after theyre modeled!

Yes, that is true, however that isn't what I did  ;) For example for the leg I'd have the same 4 edge loops in both the shin model and the thigh. That way, I could have the unbroken model not look wierd.

Ahh, this is one of the answers I was looking for. That puts my mind at rest for the most part then on this. I thank you sir for the clear answer.

I tried to say that in the pm I sent you but I guess I complicated it with difficult language  ;) Sorry about that!

BUT I must say that I'm glad you've decided to join forces with us. And I'm excited to see the end result! I like where this is going so far!

GodGundam

« Reply #17 on: 2011-09-25 02:22:06 »
Small Update shot

Mostly Minor edits/fixes, Finished the hair mesh, added the arm pad, detailed shoes some more-ish, added earrings, minor proportional tweaks, etc... I actually modeled the shoe laces, though I may go back and just make those an alpha map later. Who knows really. I still need to add Suspenders and finalize the skirt, but that is about all that's left on the mesh. Now that I look at it, her hands may need to be scaled up some too, kinda smallish. I may go back and teak the shoe plate again too, not happy with it still.

*edit: just noticed the side view is missing her shoe plate, forgot to copy it when I did the render XD.

That is one way to go about it, though i could just leave it whole and do that afterward, Extrude the polies from the already skinned mesh (skin stretches over the extruded faces) and have it blend with each other that way as well. less of a headache to map out and texture the round limbs that way. Idk yet though, waiting to be 100% done with the mesh first before I decide.

I tried to say that in the pm I sent you but I guess I complicated it with difficult language  ;) Sorry about that!

I checked my pm's after you posted this again. You said it clear enough, I just forgot more or less and forgot I had the pm still, sorry =p

« Last Edit: 2011-09-25 02:28:32 by GodGundam »

ZL325

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-09-25 03:17:23 »
GodGundam, you're creating a magnificent work of art! Kudos to you. :)

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-09-25 14:34:31 »
Are those colored polies? of finished texture, Cause they look like polies, But maybe thats what you're going for.

JordieBo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011-09-25 20:14:31 »
Just thought I should point out Tifa's hair is a little off.  The bottom of her hair is supposed to be dolphin tail shaped, I think that's where her Dolphin Kick limit break comes from:

GodGundam

« Reply #21 on: 2011-09-25 21:22:59 »
Are those colored polies? of finished texture, Cause they look like polies, But maybe thats what you're going for.

Yes those are colored polygons atm, I do that to give you a general idea of what its suppose to look like and no I am not going for that for the final product. It will have an actual texture.

Just thought I should point out Tifa's hair is a little off.  The bottom of her hair is supposed to be dolphin tail shaped, I think that's where her Dolphin Kick limit break comes from:

I understand she has a lil dolphin tail thing goin on. My model does have it split at the end, I just didnt want it to be that extreme

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: 2011-09-25 22:45:04 »
it's not so much the extreme-angle of the split but rather you set the hairtie too low. the hair thats being split is too short on the model.

well, that is, compared to the artwork.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011-09-27 14:15:03 »
Finally someone is tackling Tifa, It's about time we had a good custom model for her. You seem pretty damn good at modeling, so i got a feeling this one is gonna be great too, since you're already off to a nice start. Good luck :)

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011-09-27 14:25:21 »
If her hemline were any higher we'd see her vagazzling!
Great work. Can't wait to see her kicking the $#!+ out of baddies.