Author Topic: Final Fantasy in Philosophy  (Read 2639 times)

Sefurosu

• View Profile
Final Fantasy in Philosophy
« on: 2008-05-23 13:59:13 »
" Call for Abstracts: Final Fantasy and Philosophy

The Blackwell Philosophy and PopCulture Series

Abstracts and subsequent essays should be philosophically substantial but accessible, written to engage the intelligent lay reader. Contributors of accepted essays will receive an honorarium.

We are interested in abstracts dealing with Final Fantasy in any media including manga. Possible themes and topics might include, but are not limited to, the following: Vivi Ornitier's Musings on the Meaning of Life; Squall, Moral Relativism, and Moral Responsibility; As Ethereal as a Cloud: Problems of Personal Identity; Is Evil Self-defeating?: What Happens after Kefka Destroys the Universe?; The Chi of Chocobos; The Not-so Eternal Return: The Multiple Incarnations of Cid; Final Fantasy or Final Reality?: Game Play as a Mirror of Modern Life; The Problems of Technology and Religion: Yevonites v. Machina; Shinra Inc., v. Avalanche (Corporatism v. Freedom);The Ethics of Harnessing Lifeforce; Flawed Heroes in the Series; The Ethics of Summoning/Summoners; The Failure of Feminism in X2; Bahamut, Shiva, and Ifrit/Efreeti: Monsters as Heroes?; Searching for Identity: Does Titus Really Discover Who He Is?; Marx and Moogles: Wage-Slavery in Final Fantasy?; The Dialectic of Deities: Demonology as Plot in Final Fantasy; Spiritus-"Anima": Jungian Archetypes in Final Fantasy; Dark Knights, "Dark Crystals", and... Light Warriors: "Color" Stereotypes as Signifiers; Al Bhed or Guado?: Repression as Plot Driver; Class Differences in the Classic Final Fantasy Games (the Fighter, the Black Belt, the Thief, the Red Mage… who's on top?); Final Freud: Kadaj's Oedipal Transformation into Sephiroth through union with Mother (Final Fantasy: Advent Children); The Spirit Within: Gaia, Phantom Spirits, and Living with Nature (Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within)

Submission guidelines:

1. Submission deadline for abstracts (100-500 words) and cv's: June 6, 2008
2. Submission deadline for first drafts of accepted papers: September 1, 2008

Kindly submit by e-mail (with or without Word attachment) to: Jason P. Blahuta [email protected] "

I found this website that writes philosophy book on many topics such as the Simpsons and even Metallica, now they want to do one on final fantasy. If anyone besides me would like to send in ideas or articles, I have posted the info.

Destiny

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy in Philosophy
« Reply #1 on: 2008-05-23 17:12:12 »
The only thing i can say is... Less drug and more sex  :evil:

VanishedOne

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy in Philosophy
« Reply #2 on: 2008-05-27 16:37:44 »
I decided against it, based party on Irwin's reputation (see this review on Metapsychology Online); I'm pretty confident I could write e.g. an examination of inheritance, stewardship and authority in FFVII that would both have philosophical depth and say something about the game, but without any guarantee that I'd be given space to, I'd need at least to be told how large the honorarium would be. As it is, I don't want to divert time from other research work. (Plus my C.V. isn't all that impressive; I'm only in the first year of Ph.D. studies.)
« Last Edit: 2008-05-27 16:42:26 by VanishedOne »