Author Topic: FF7 In battle SFX  (Read 3040 times)

adouchebag

• View Profile
FF7 In battle SFX
« on: 2010-05-11 17:16:50 »
First just let me say I love this site--FF7 is probably my all time favorite game, and I like to come back and play it every now and then (I still have my original PSX discs from when it originally came out) and this site makes the game almost like new.

But I have a small problem, I searched but couldn't come up with anything.  Is there a fix for the sound not always playing in battles?  I've noticed that frequently sounds don't play or play so quietly that you can barely hear them.  At first I thought this was because I'm only using one headphone I figured it was just the stereo sound.  But then I tried it on a different computer with the speakers working properly and it still happens.  Is this a viable concern, or am I just crazy?

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 In battle SFX
« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-11 22:24:58 »
First just let me say I love this site--FF7 is probably my all time favorite game, and I like to come back and play it every now and then (I still have my original PSX discs from when it originally came out) and this site makes the game almost like new.

But I have a small problem, I searched but couldn't come up with anything.  Is there a fix for the sound not always playing in battles?  I've noticed that frequently sounds don't play or play so quietly that you can barely hear them.  At first I thought this was because I'm only using one headphone I figured it was just the stereo sound.  But then I tried it on a different computer with the speakers working properly and it still happens.  Is this a viable concern, or am I just crazy?
Methinks that's an issue with the logarithmic volume control option in FF7Config. I used to have this problem, but it eventually fixed itself...

adouchebag

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-05-12 11:23:18 »
Well if there's nothing I can do about it I'll just deal with it--it's not a big deal, I've played the game so many times I know every sound effect by heart--and since I stuffed the game full of ocremix, advent children, and other final fantasy songs I've accumulated over the years, the music is more important than the SFX.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2010-05-12 12:06:22 »
I'm currently suffering from this problem and have no idea why it happens. It may be a volume thing because it doesn't just affect battles. But then, when I run it I'm usually using a debugger (IDA) to find memory addresses and the like. That may also have something to do with it.

adouchebag

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-05-12 14:29:16 »
For me, I'm 99% sure all my problems would go away if I could just change the output of the game from Stereo to mono.  But there's no option to do it in game.  And setting my computer speakers to mono output didn't fix the problem.

It sounds like a stereo problem to me anyway.  Maybe it is just a volume thing, but the way some sounds play quietly and some not at all in battles depending on where the sound is coming from is what makes me think it's a stereo thing.