Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1079227 times)

UltimaYoshi

• View Profile
gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod
« Reply #75 on: 2007-09-03 17:19:48 »
I´m gonna try this mod out. :lol:

But do enemies have different attacks?
Just wondering. :oops:

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #76 on: 2007-09-03 20:29:39 »
I´m gonna try this mod out. :lol:

But do enemies have different attacks?
Just wondering. :oops:

The attacks don't have a different pattern or AI, but ca 10% have a differnet effect. Like causing status effect, damages MP, unblockable etch.

This one for sure is looking nice. :)
But, how does it compare with Hay's Reasonable Mod ?

I found Hay's Scorpion Guard to be just the great difficulty for me.
Though, it would be nice to compare both of these mods together.

P.S.:
More on the subject of Hardcore Modes:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=6810.0

Hays' are more reasonable to the "main stream" I believe. Mine is a bit "unique" if I may say so. Thats is my impression at least. I think mine is harder and can be somewhat frustrating. The 1st reactor is kinda hard, after that it really doesn't get hard 'till after temple of the ancient (The glacier +). But that doesn't mean it's not a challenge to try it. I found Jenova Birth HARD, but I may had too low level on her. The 1st reactor isn't really that hard if you find the right tactic for it.

You could say that Hays' is a plain 1.5x - 4x difficulty (I think), while mine is 1.5x - 10x difficulty... Or something like that.

UltimaYoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2007-09-03 20:36:47 »
Okay, got it.

If you could give enemies more/different attacks, then this mod would be nearly perfect. :lol:

RED X

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2007-09-10 10:57:01 »
What program did you use to alter the kernel.bin file? Could you please upload the program so that I could try to use the them?

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #79 on: 2007-09-10 11:59:59 »
There are topics 'bout one program. I made my own. I don't want to share yet but here is a link to another.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=6201.0

FF7 Gzip

It's a commandline program. Have the Kernel.bin in the same folder.

This command decompiles I believe:
an_example_folder\ff7dec.exe d kernel.bin

Edit away...

And this compiles the files back together:
an_example_folder\ff7dec.exe e kernel.bin

RED X

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2007-09-10 13:58:08 »
This command decompiles I believe:
an_example_folder\ff7dec.exe d kernel.bin

I'm sorry. I still dont understand. What did you mean with the red words above? Is it you mean that I should place kernel.bin in the same folder with ff7dec.exe and simply click the file ff7dec.exe?

twipley

• View Profile
    • custom user page on wikipedia
« Reply #81 on: 2007-09-10 21:19:35 »
Well since I happen to be reading this before the author,
here is what you got to know about command-line programs:

Press the Window key (near the bottom left of the keyboard, I believe) in combination with the "R" key.
Click and drag the executable over the window, or type in its location, then add the proper switch (parameter, argument, whatever you're calling it).

These type of software contrast with the GUI-type programs.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #82 on: 2007-09-10 21:57:13 »
Looks like I missunderstood the question lol. Sorry! This program doesn't allow you to edit any of the actual data in the files. But it's a handy tool to extract each section from the file, and compile 'em again. I saw one program that allowed you to actually alter it. look in this topic. It may help you to alter the kernel if you have it extracted.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=6986.0

UltimaYoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2007-09-10 22:49:23 »
Okay, I have to say, that you made A good job here.
Enemies like Harpy are really strong now.

But there were also enemies, which were pathetic.
Like Rapps, we was beaten after one Meteorrain. oO

BTW: What are the stats for the dragons in Mt. Nibel?
I only do 30 damage to him, while his horn attack does 20000. oO
I couldn´t sense either.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #84 on: 2007-09-10 23:09:50 »
Yep there are pussies left. Mainly 'cause the scenes get screwed up if I alter the files too much in certain places. Like mt.Nibel and wutai seem very vulnerable. Schizo and Jenova Death are pretty lame too (I think), cause the game got messed up if I did too much to them. I know it's sad but I didn't find a nice way to counter it.

For the Dragon on Mt.Nibel... It was supposed too be a bit harder. It's claw attack were supposed to attack all. First I tried to make Flame Thrower do that but it wouldn't work (something with the attack's ID I believe). And no matter what I did in those scenes the game got messed, up so I gave up he, he.

The Dragon is very strong (lvl??? High). You need a pretty high lvl to beat it. And it drops a neat thing. There is a trick to beat it though...

I was able to beat Harpy at a pretty low lvl too. But not 'till after I got Adaman bangle from Adamtoise, which was pretty hard to steal.

UltimaYoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2007-09-10 23:22:00 »
Hmm, Demi has no effect on the dragon.
And I think Frog Song hasn´t either. :|

I´ll try death and death sentence, when I go back to Mt. Nibel.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #86 on: 2007-09-25 16:46:11 »
Hmm, Demi has no effect on the dragon.
And I think Frog Song hasn´t either. :|

I´ll try death and death sentence, when I go back to Mt. Nibel.

SPOILER(it has something to do with it's level ;))

The item received is IMO somewhat worth it.

Anyone gotten to the final boss yet?

UltimaYoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2007-09-25 22:24:25 »
Well, I didn´t get the the final boss yet.
But yeah, after Jenova Death it got WAY too easy. :|

I hope Emerald and Ruby are a challenge though.

terrabrake

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2007-10-09 21:34:19 »
hi all, i ve just finished to read this topic and I'd like to know other comments about this mod!

Anyone got to the end with it?

Is it really challenging now? or there's problems with it?

gjoerulv are you satisfied or you are trying to modify it again? i have to say that i agree with you about making ff7 very hardcore in the way you said  :-D

waiting for replies.......bye!

UltimaYoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2007-10-10 13:49:29 »
Well, it is challenging.
But some bosses are still too easy (Rapps is my example again) and after Jenova Death, the game is WAY too easy.
All the bosses are easy to beat then.

Diamond Weapon was time-consuming and yet still easy.
Ultima Weapon was a joke, even easier than Diamond Weapon.
Only one round and he was already at Cosmo Canyon for the final round, where I beat him in no time.

And no, I didn´t use KotR or other cheap tatics.

Emerald Weapon however is frustrating.
Why? Look here
I didn´t fight Ruby Weapon so far, but after getting owned by Emerald, I can barely wait. -_-;

ARMs

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2007-10-10 14:59:42 »
it would help if we can actually view what it is.  And what could make emmy so hard.  I imagine that multiple counter attacks would break him easily. or w-magic demi+HPabsorb, Demi+Quardra magic and mime should do the trick.

Edit:  I checked the data and Ultimate Weapons HP is at 1,000,000 and his final form is 5,000,000.  Emeralds HP is at 10,000,000.   And he inflicts statuses and what seems like a decent or small boosts to attacks powers. 

Emmy looks easily beatable with damage and HP limit break.  Just takes a very long time to kill since hes immune to gravity.

As far a Ruby goes this is even more of a timke killer.  I dont think the creator tested this fight.   He basically raisen rubies Defense to the point where your dealing less then 5 percent physical damage.  And on top of that he has 10,000,000 HP.  His magical defense isn't high but magics are wastes of time.  He can still be parylized but this fight is not hard, its extremely time consuming.
« Last Edit: 2007-10-10 15:26:56 by ARMs »

terrabrake

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2007-10-10 16:49:46 »
this mod could be the only reason to replay ff7, i jumped on my chair when i found out someone made it  :-D
But i think in this condition it isnt worth... i just dont like it....

You are saying that still sephirot is the same easy fight??

what a pity....really. isn't there any way to have a better mod? Or it can cause only more problems (crashes) in the game?

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2007-10-10 17:32:54 »
If we could just edit to our will the battle scripting... then a TRUE HARDCORE MOD would appear U_U

But this one it's so good with the knowledge we actually have, don't you think so?

terrabrake

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2007-10-10 19:23:33 »
I didn't mean to diminish the quality of the mod...absolutely! And i think that there's been  a huge work to make it...
But as others said from JDeath to the end is easy to beat bosses, that it is the point I don't like.
I hope that this mod can become the Ultimate Hardcore Mod for ff7  :-D

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #94 on: 2007-10-11 09:14:17 »
lol There seems to be some complaints. Well I haven't played it through myself yet  :-P. Actually I'm almost done with the glacier. When I'm done with the whole thing I'll probably do something with it. THERE ARE NO BUGS. I think  :-P. I honestly believe I managed to clear this mod from bugs. There seems, however, that there is a problem with the dual (status effect) on Jenova Life and Hojo. The game might freeze in those battles 'cause of it. I managed to play through JLife in 3 tries though.

Quote from: ARMs
Edit:  I checked the data and Ultimate Weapons HP is at 1,000,000 and his final form is 5,000,000.  Emeralds HP is at 10,000,000.   And he inflicts statuses and what seems like a decent or small boosts to attacks powers.

I dunno if it's true but it's supposed to be 100 000 on the 1st form on Ultima weapon. The last one shall have 500 000. And both Ruby and Emerald should have
1 000 000 HP each. 10 000 000 HP is way overkill. If this is the case it's wrong and I'll change that pronto.

And regarding Sephiroth. The 1st fight is a wuss, but the last is kinda hard. At least he beat my lvl 99 pty (debug room and Jenova edited). With KOTR he should be easily defeated though.

And I repeat: This mod is really just to please myself  :-D (egoistic freak). And it's "Hardcore" not Hardcore. But I probably will alter it some more if it indeed is so easy as stated (not that I doubt).

Terid__K

« Reply #95 on: 2007-10-11 09:25:45 »
If anything, the 2 remaining Weapons should be nerfed. I'm tired of having to level-up a bunch of materias just so I can beat them in a boring, repetitive and long fight.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #96 on: 2007-10-11 10:50:28 »
I just checked. And I was right! They have 1 mill not 10 mill. And Ultima have 500 000 so no worries. And for easy AP just use Jenova man. If you have no problem gaining AP why go the long way.

ARMs

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2007-10-11 19:20:00 »
oops very sorry.   i highlighted 3 of the zeros and it looked like there was still 4 zeros left to me somehow.

Anyways for the ultima weapon fight he still has small ammounts of HP.  He has 20,000 or less HP in the final battle even though you put it as 500,000

Claude

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2007-10-12 22:44:03 »
Very nice changes, i like it... :) It's just perfect for me, not too hard nor too easy, i'll report any bugs i may find. Thanks for this!  :-) And you said something about dual status effects causing the game to hang when fighting Jenova Life? Happened to me. :-\ Had to boot my computer, ah well, i'm gonna give it another go now.
« Last Edit: 2007-10-12 22:48:11 by Claude »

UltimaYoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2007-10-12 23:43:49 »
The computer crashes only come, because of this Anti-Regen.
Jenova-Life and Hojo can cause this.

However, you cannot get past Hojo, unless you get rid of it. :|