Author Topic: How old is everyone?  (Read 135030 times)

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
How old is everyone?
« Reply #125 on: 2001-01-16 09:08:00 »
I found it by searching for FF editing programs.. but dont remember where or how i got here.. but i come here all the time now...

The SaiNt

• View Profile
How old is everyone?
« Reply #126 on: 2001-01-16 09:55:00 »
StrayWings, what PC do you have?
If it's based on an Athlon Processor, just go to the http://www.amdmb.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.amdmb.com  forums.
Check out the overclocking section.

StrayWings

• View Profile
How old is everyone?
« Reply #127 on: 2001-01-16 15:43:00 »
Speaking about Athlon...I wished I had an Athlon Thunderbird! Well, I'd go for a Pentium 4...  :D

Ha! I am sooooo embarred to say that mabye I have the slowest PC on earth!

Pentium Pro 200mhz
32 MB EDO ECC RAM
S3 Trio AGP Card (4 MB)
36k Modem
A very COMMON RAM Booster (not in the hardware specs  :))
Win 98 (I should have at least a 64 MB RAM PC to own Win 98) *oh..why bother*

Playing FF 8 and BG 2 on this PC is mighty SLOW...so..I'd prefer FF7 and BG.
  :D
Ha! I'd figure out to get this thread rolling...EVERYONE POST THEIR PC SPECS here!!!  :D

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
How old is everyone?
« Reply #128 on: 2001-01-16 17:25:00 »
 he told how he got the name qhimm? plz tell us!! pretty please  :wink:
anyways i had specs like yours when i bought my pc back in 5/1/98:
p2 233
32mb sdram
20 speed cdrom
s3 trio vigre 4mb
33kbps modem - diamond supra
ess1869 sound isa slot
win95, that was then, after some upgrades im up here:
p celeron 366 mhz (fatser than it looks  :D )
96 mbsd ram
ati rage fury 32mb
sb live 1024! (oh yeah!!)
112kbps internet line
still got my 15" screen (its dyin you know its getting real dark!)
creative 4speaker set
mitsumi cdwriter
40speed cdrom (got that free!!!)
and win98/2000 dual boot (i love that! organise you stuff slow and big on w2k, and games on win98!)
but i think srethron's got a slower pc than yours

How old is everyone?
« Reply #129 on: 2001-01-16 20:45:00 »
Threesixty: Your fault. You mentioned it.  :wink: We all want to know.

StrayWings: Ha ha! Mine is worse than yours! Oh, wait...

P166 (Laptop)
48MB RAM (no idea on speed)
Win95 Explorer
2x CD Drive
12 GB Hard drive
No 3D card
ESS1608 Audiodrive

eerrrr

• View Profile
How old is everyone?
« Reply #130 on: 2001-01-16 20:59:00 »
hang on, i can do worst. my last pc had something........um......well it ws less than 32mb ram. i sold it now. win95. i doubt it even had 1GB memory. try and beat that, i have had worst.........but they dont count cos they were old dos machines.

How old is everyone?
« Reply #131 on: 2001-01-16 21:31:00 »
Sorry, eerrrr. Easy as cake. I've still got my old 386. I almost never use it, except for typing up reports and playing old favorites like X-wing. (The *only* reason this counts, basically, is because I still use it.)

386 33MHz
16MB RAM
Dos 6.1
Win 3.1
125 MB Hard drive
3.5 and 5.25 (broken) floppy drives
No CD drive
Definately no 2D/3D card

[This message has been edited by Srethron Askvelhtnod (edited January 16, 2001).]

Ant

• View Profile
How old is everyone?
« Reply #132 on: 2001-01-17 00:44:00 »
I remember a similar question a loooong time ago,

I think its coz he is called Kim or something similar.  

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
How old is everyone?
« Reply #133 on: 2001-01-17 02:11:00 »
Well, since the thread is already too long...

PC 1) 386 20Mhz, 512K graphics card, 4MB RAM, 40MB hard disk, Dos 6/Win 3.11 (The Doom Machine)

PC 2) P75, 24MB RAM, 1MB S3 Trio, 260MB hard disk, Dos6/Win3.11, SB16 compatible. (The Quake Machine)

PC 3) K6-II 500, 192MB RAM, 16MB Savage 4, SB Live!, Win98, 56K modem, 100MBit network card, Miro DC30 video capture/edit card, 20GB hard disk, 10X DVD drive. (The Kick-Ass Machine)

However the first two are back home ... can't exactly bring *everything* to uni!
(PC #1 cost 30UKP inc. monitor, hehehe).
(So did PC #2 .. except no monitor.)

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
How old is everyone?
« Reply #134 on: 2001-01-17 02:30:00 »
I might as well post my PC history:

1) 486DX2 66MHz, 8 megs of RAM, 540 Meg HDD, 1meg Cirrus Logic Video card.

2) P100, 24 Megs of RAM, Digital Research (generic) sound card, 1 meg Diamond Video Card, 540 Meg Hard disk.

3) K6 MMX 233, 32 Megs of RAM, 4 Meg STB Nitro (S3 VirgeGX) Video Card, Creative Labs  512K SB AWE 64, 1.2 gig HDD (later upgraded to a 13.6 gig-er when the 1.2 died.)

4) The kick-ass Athlon box I described above.

StrayWings

• View Profile
How old is everyone?
« Reply #135 on: 2001-01-17 16:16:00 »
Yeah...My sister said something about Qhimm's name...Kim

Well if you see say "Qhimm!" a few times..you would say something like "Kill Him!"
 Hey...a 386...I had a 486 once.. 8MB Ram I guess...I was quite fast BACKKKK then....  :D

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
How old is everyone?
« Reply #136 on: 2001-01-17 05:23:00 »
Yup...that's what I remember.....

oops...I misspelled, "Qhimm" on the last post.....guess I can blame the "U", after "Q", rule on that one.

Lets see....
I had a Tandy 1000EX....my first, so called, computer...really my Mom's at the time, but I took it over. LOL. Used it mainly for writing book reports and stuff like that for Highschool.
My dad picked up a 286 from his work a good number of years later........I had no idea what it was back then...I learned a lot about computers off of this one. I upgraded it to a 486 33mhz DX, a year later. I paid a computer store to do it and it cost me 1000 dollars at the time.....why? Well besides the obvious, the high price could have been because this was done, when the RAM factory in Japan got hit by an Earthquake and at the time it was the only place that Ram was made. I shouldn't have upgraded....but I was young. Two years later I upgraded the CPU to a 66DX2. Somewhere in between I enrolled onto Prodigy....the Internet came to Prodigy about 1 year later.
Three years later I got this PB 200mmx for 900 dollars, without monitor; four week before the P2's came out. Some time within the first year I put in a 64meg stick in it, which brought the total to 80megs, and a Voodoo2 card. Sometime within the second year I put in a SB live card and a US Robotics 56k modem. I had to get the modem. The original Card was a Soundcard/Modem Combo.....Now into the third year with this P200....

Currently looking.....and waiting....for a highpowered, low priced computer. I refused to get burned a third time. I'll either buy it from the bottom up or buy one of those bare bone systems and build from there. I'm currently waiting to see what Motherboards are coming out for the new 166FSB DDR Athlons. I'm waiting for either Abit or Asus to come out with one.

The P4 are twice as expensive and the CPU isn't as fast as the Athlon, even though the Gig mark is higher .....look at this article. The only thing keeping P4 afloat, is it's Rambus memory:
 http://www.xbitlabs.com/cpu/athlon-1200.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.xbitlabs.com/cpu/athlon-1200.html  

[This message has been edited by Threesixty (edited January 17, 2001).]

How old is everyone?
« Reply #137 on: 2001-01-17 07:10:00 »
Threesixty: One question. Concerning your comment about RDRAM (Rambus). Are you saying that the company is the only thing keeping the P4 afloat because of its recent "political" maneuverings that make DDR RAM a tough call for retailers? Or are you saying that RDRAM is keeping the P4 afloat because of it's high quality when compared to DDR? Just not sure what you meant. I personally don't care much for RDRAM, and don't recommend using it...

[This message has been edited by Srethron Askvelhtnod (edited January 17, 2001).]

Threesixty

• View Profile
How old is everyone?
« Reply #138 on: 2001-01-17 08:31:00 »
I don't know about the politics of the DDR and Rambus....to tell you the truth I never heard of DDR memory, until recently. I knew what Rambus was for some time now ...and I knew that it was very pricy.

But based on that review........it looks to me; that the faster performance of the Rambus, and the 400mhz FSB that the P4 uses to keep up with it's Rambus memory, is what's keeping the P4 above water.

According to that review the Athlon still performs better than the P4 at higher graphic resolutions. I'm totally gussing, but I'd say that the Athlon 1.2gig CPU is superior to the Intel 1.5gig CPU. But the speed of the Ram and the Highway it's using, (the 400mhz FSB) is why the P4 is giving better results on that "Quake3", 640X420 benchmark. I imagine that the DDR sees no or very little added benefits above a 166mhz Front Side BUS and that's why AMD chose that Motherboard speed. And I'm sure that the Rambus needs every bit of that 400FSB and that's why Intel chose their MB speed. Although I'm just speculating.

You would think that AMD would play a numbers game with Intel....but it doesn't look like they are going to....well....at least not yet.

Another thing that I'm curious about, is whether Rambus memory is stable? I have a feeling that the DDR memory is stable....although I have no idea whether DDR truly is, or isn't.

[This message has been edited by Threesixty (edited January 17, 2001).]

J*** H*******

How old is everyone?
« Reply #139 on: 2001-01-17 09:17:00 »
RAMBUS is a very tricky thing; although it has very high bus speed it also has much higher latency than regular (or DDR) SDRAM. That combined with the unbelievable price tag makes it rather poor choice (although only possible with P4), IMHO. Looks like it helps performance on some cases and hinders it on others. I think that RAMBUS is stable, but some of it's implementations (like the infamous i820 chipset) are not.

DDR simply means Dual Data Rate. It's called that because it transfers data on rising _and_ falling edges of clock pulse. Effectively giving twice as much memory bandwidth. NOTE: I'm really annoyed by manufacturers who talk about 333 MHz DDR RAM if the regular was 166 MHz. It still is 166 MHz, god damn it!  :D It just transfers twice as much data at that speed.

About P4's performance: It can't compete with Thunderchicken or even P3 at same frequency, if the code is not optimized for it. It's supposed to reach much higher clock speeds than the competition with it's really really long pipeline. It will be competitive if it can do that (and programs are optimized for it), but if AMD gets it's Athlons to higher than expected speeds P4 is in trouble.

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
How old is everyone?
« Reply #140 on: 2001-01-17 09:33:00 »
They are all so bogus doesnt everyone remember all the hype about the MMX but it only really worked when optimized for code.. it sucked cuz not everything was written for it.. but it still cost like hella.

Threesixty

• View Profile
How old is everyone?
« Reply #141 on: 2001-01-17 11:22:00 »
Well regardless....I'm gonna wait a little longer....I'm placing the Morrowind's game release, as my decision date.
By then, X-box will be out....If Xbox is cheap and if Morrowind goes to X-box unchanged from the PC version, then I'll decide to keep this old computer and buy the X-box....

If not, I'll make the plunge on a new system.....

It also depends if I'll ever take work home with me. So far I haven't....

And then there is one more little factor. The 'spree of the moment' factor. The one that tells you to screw it....and you end up screwing yourself. You never know when that one's gonna hit. :D

The SaiNt

• View Profile
How old is everyone?
« Reply #142 on: 2001-01-17 12:07:00 »
Well, Intel only release the RDRAM cause they wanted to divide the market completely in to two. With them having a larger market share, they thought this would help them win more market share as more people would have to think twice before supporting AMD. Anyway, they have recently announced that they will be supporting the DDR RAM format in the near future. The RDRAM is a stupid and poor implementation of technology and I believe if Intel continues doing so, they are gonna be crushed by AMD. The good thing about AMD is that they always seek to protect the older and poorer people of the market, like the Socket 7 case. They have never believed in monopolizing the market. Intel has been in monopoly for too long and some competition is good for them.

Speaking about processors, my 1000Mhz processor just got burned this morning so I'm using my K6-2 300 now. The processor fan got jammed and i didnt notice it till the processor burned. Now I've got to wait about 1-2 weeks to get a replacement from AMD due to the Chinese New Year holidays. Anyway, i'll probably give me time to look into the FF7 geometry format.

J*** H*******

How old is everyone?
« Reply #143 on: 2001-01-17 12:45:00 »
Ouch! No hardware monitoring ?

PS. My new P3 700 sucks when it comes to overclocking; it won't go over 868 on my Abit BE-6 and only 933 on my friends insanely overclockable BF-6. Why did I have to get the bad one.  :(

StrayWings

• View Profile
How old is everyone?
« Reply #144 on: 2001-01-17 14:47:00 »
RAM BUS!!!  :D

Overclocking a PC!!!  :D

Overclocking is looking for danger. Nolah, just kidding..Overclocking is fun! I tried to overclock my PC once...tapi tak jadi...

The SaiNt

• View Profile
How old is everyone?
« Reply #145 on: 2001-01-17 17:07:00 »
There is hardware monitoring but you see, AMD processors are different from Intel ones.
Intel processors tend to give off signals that they are overheating by bringing up blue screens or halting the PC. New Athlon processors, (because of AMD's ingenius methods) can still run in an overheated enviroment. This makes them able to burn themselves out while running. Besides, i have the temp sensors on my taskbar but it wasnt me using the PC, my dad was using it.

How old is everyone?
« Reply #146 on: 2001-01-17 20:01:00 »
Threesixty: I can't check to see if it's still there because my firewall blocks me from the site.  :x But at http://www.pcgamer.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.pcgamer.com/  follow the link to the Q&A section and the guy usually has a link in the Q&A that addresses the pros and cons of RDRAM and why he doesn't recommend it.

The SaiNt: I agree. Well, hopefully we can get some stuff done, then.

Jari Huttunen: You wouldn't know anything about overclocking a laptop, would you?  :wink:

Ged

• View Profile
    • http://acn.waw.pl/vanyel
How old is everyone?
« Reply #147 on: 2001-01-17 23:47:00 »
Good Gollys Master Gerrys  :) (who read the book from which i got this quote will know)

Hopefully, tommorow i'm staying home, so its reading time  :)

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
How old is everyone?
« Reply #148 on: 2001-01-18 01:35:00 »
I don't overclock . . .

. . . I guess you could call me too careful.  :wink:

J*** H*******

How old is everyone?
« Reply #149 on: 2001-01-18 02:41:00 »
Srethron: Yes; that it's quite difficult, if not impossible.  :D There are few reasons why they are so difficult to overclock:

1) Custom built motherboard. They are built specifically for certain purpose. So there's very small change that clockspeed could be manipulated by jumpers, much less bios. It's likely that they used oscillator that is soldered directly to motherboard. Replacing that oscillator with faster could lead to all kinds of consequences, from interesting to catastrophic, depending on things that get their speed from it.

2) Heat dissipation. Laptop is not exactly the easiest thing to cool. It's very small and not really ventilated at all.

It's best not to try overclocking it, at least until you have something to replace it with.  :)