Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4883094 times)

Dyrak

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.35)
« Reply #2600 on: 2016-01-26 04:13:28 »
Hi Sega Chief.

Here is a bug report. I didn't read the 100+ of this thread so maybe it has already been reported.

Bug: It seems that if your Strength gets >255, then it comes back down to 0.

Facts: What happened to me is that Tifa has like 242 STR. When she hits, she does normal damages. Then if I put some materias on het that boost het STR such that it is over 255, she now hits for 1 damage.

I am playing on the steam version zith the NT mod (advanced) and the custom mod for materias.
Hope this can help.

BTW, I LOOOOVE this mod!!! It's by far the best FF7 mod I have tested so far. Thank you for all your work. Can't wait for the 1.4 :-)

Oh and the same thing appears if Tifa has like 245 STR and she gets the bonus from the Sense materia.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: 2016-01-26 06:32:49 »
So we should play NT without the exe?

From what existenze mentioned.
If i understood correctly does that mean that nt 1.40 will be incompatible with MO? Segachief you said it has balancing problems and should be avoided? Can you clarify?

The .EXE I made was an experiment to adjust materia equip bonuses/penalties, enable enemies to use the long-range flag on some of their physical attacks (machine guns, for instance) and the strength/effects of Limit Breaks. It's not really a part of NT (it can be used with the vanilla game as well), more of an optional add-on for it. Problem is, NT has changed gradually over time and so the .EXE no longer meshes too well with it; I also messed up Limits and made them far too weak to be useful.

What isn't balanced is the Arrange Mode within NT, and what can often happen is that people will play NT on Arrange Mode with the .EXE installed which makes for a pretty horrible experience (the Gunner bosses in the Shinra HQ elevator are a good example). When I've finished Arrange properly in 1.4, it'll be much more like I originally intended it to be; a remixed version of standard NT, slightly more difficult with a few events and items changed around. Something for a 2nd playthrough, rather than a 1st time run.

Hi Sega Chief.

Here is a bug report. I didn't read the 100+ of this thread so maybe it has already been reported.

Bug: It seems that if your Strength gets >255, then it comes back down to 0.

Facts: What happened to me is that Tifa has like 242 STR. When she hits, she does normal damages. Then if I put some materias on het that boost het STR such that it is over 255, she now hits for 1 damage.

I am playing on the steam version zith the NT mod (advanced) and the custom mod for materias.
Hope this can help.

BTW, I LOOOOVE this mod!!! It's by far the best FF7 mod I have tested so far. Thank you for all your work. Can't wait for the 1.4 :-)

Yo bud, I think it was mentioned but appreciate it all the same. I've added some checks to the innates to prevent them rising over a certain value (though Tifa's one was changed completely).

eXistenZe

• View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: 2016-01-26 08:10:57 »
I thought arrange mode was actually the big part of the mod, the new stuff and all. Am I wrong?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: 2016-01-26 08:11:56 »
Everything's in original mode; arrange in the current build just makes enemies hit a little harder and use slightly different attacks. I'll need to change those descriptions/the name of Original to make it clearer; quite a few people have thought Original meant the default game.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2604 on: 2016-01-26 09:11:46 »
Everything's in original mode; arrange in the current build just makes enemies hit a little harder and use slightly different attacks. I'll need to change those descriptions/the name of Original to make it clearer; quite a few people have thought Original meant the default game.

I wasn't confused by the descriptions. This is how I interpreted it.

On a side note, would you like me to omit the NT exe from the 7H tutorial since it doesn't mesh well anymore with NT?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: 2016-01-26 18:12:28 »
Yeah, that might be best for now. I'll make a new one at some point.

eXistenZe

• View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: 2016-01-26 19:32:34 »
So in original mode and without the exe, you still play 99% of the intended mod...

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: 2016-01-26 19:36:05 »
Yep.

eXistenZe

• View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: 2016-01-26 20:08:10 »
99% of awesomeness seems pretty good.
Can't wait for 1.4...

natepley

• View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: 2016-01-27 02:22:49 »
I had an idea and a question.  Idea first:

To make sure no one gets confused about "original" and "arrange" you could instead call them "new threat" and "new threat + arrange".  That might make it more clear.

My question is: why is it called "arrange"?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: 2016-01-27 06:12:35 »
Right, so originally I had them called Normal and Hard but I then realised that pretty much everyone would play NT on Hard mode. Around about that time, I'd been playing RE2 on PC which has two modes; Original and Arrange. These are basically enemy layouts, etc. from the NA and Japanese games, slightly different (and I think they're 'flipped' depending on which region you're playing in; original for them would be Arrange for us, etc.)

So I got to thinking that if I called them Original and Arrange in NT that'd solve the problem of people being drawn to hard mode for the first playthrough. I also started thinking that rather than having it be a hard mode, it could be some kind of alternate version of the mod sorta like how it works for RE2; different placement of items, alternate enemy attacks/formations, etc. While a lot is possible, time is the problem; only thing enabled in Arrange for the current build is a boost in enemy damage, EXP given, and some alternate attacks/AI set up. It's a bit limited at the moment, nowhere near what I wanted to do for it. Calling it Arrange also did not help draw people away from using it on their 1st NT run ,_,

NeoDraconis

• View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: 2016-01-27 21:48:45 »
Any suggestions for what I should use with New Threat on 7th Heaven Mod Pack? I am just unsure which bits would conflict with the mod.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2612 on: 2016-01-28 04:34:31 »
When NT is activated, 7H will automatically disable what isn't compatible with NT. Just be sure to fix your LOAD ORDER to what I suggested in the written tutorial.

Dyrak

• View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: 2016-01-29 03:46:22 »
Here is an other bug report. I don't know if it's related to the mod though.

At the very last battle against Sephiroth (the 1-on-1 Omnislash fight), I can't do anything wiith Cloud. His ATB gauge is full (and so is the overdrive one) but I don't have the Attack/Limit command available (the action windows doesn't show).
It's quite frustrating to spend like 1h against the final boss (+ the time to find out what to do!) and not being able to Omnislash his face ^^
At least, now I know that Sephiroth attacks are a HP% : I am stuck at 3 hp and he continues to hit me for 0  ;D

I haven't finish all the New Threat and materia caverns but I really enjoyed your mod and will start over again with the 1.4. Thanks for your work Chief ! 8)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: 2016-01-29 12:48:19 »
Ah, that's annoying. Not sure what's happened there but I'll fix it one way or another.

Dyrak

• View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: 2016-01-30 21:22:46 »
Yo, a few (new?) bug reports:

1/ In the dark cave when meeting Vincent in the basement, if you go out of the room and then come back and talk to him again, the game soft locks.
2/ In the dark cave against the boss in the president office (Hell something, the mechanical one with 2 big arms): if you cast Ultima + Quad Magic + Absorb MP, the game soft locks after the second 2. The boss is stuck in an ackward pose and the 2 last Ultima are never casted. Nevermind, I just saw that one has already been reported.

3/ In the dark cave, after getting the Key to sector 5, the game soft locked on the 2nd form of the boss. After it transformed, I casted Slow + Osmose on him. Then he casted Gravity-something and then the ATB gauge is stuck on Wait and nothing happens. I wasn't able to reproduce it though so maybe it was just my game.

4/ I tried to place Midgar parts in the Shinra building during DC quest. I lost the micro engine key item (thanks for the patch you proposed 85 :-) ) and the game froze wheen I tried to put a 2nd part. (From what I understood we are not supposed to do it anyway but I prefer reporting it just in case)

4/ With Aeris' Princess Guard, you can't target the ennemis with Steal and she attacks your team instead of the ennemies when she is confused (which is pretty cool but I don't think that's what's supposed to happen).

Thanks for your work Chief! I really enjoyed the Dark Cave sidequest :-)

PS: I managed to steal Missing Score on the very last boss f the DC quest (X-ATM the "bro-bot" :p ). Is that intended?
« Last Edit: 2016-01-30 23:00:50 by Dyrak »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: 2016-01-31 06:20:24 »
Yeah, that boss needs reworked. I didn't realise how unstable it was until bug reports started coming in about him; I've redone that entire fight as part of Dark Cave's overhaul. The Vince thing was reported, and I think the Midgar Parts was fixed in a patch (although it might be 1.4 where I've stripped out the mechanics for that field screen; can't remember which).

Some commands use the weapon's targeting data which I missed so when I made healing weapons for Aeris I kinda forgot that it would interfere with Steal; I'm going to try tampering with the command's targeting data to get around it. Though it means Enemy Launcher won't be able to steal from absolutely everything on the field anymore :I

And yeah, that steal is intended; it's a rare steal too, so pretty good acquisition. It won't be possible to steal ult weapons in 1.4 though due to a lot of bosses having their steals narrowed down to preclude rare steals.

Regarding Mr. Brobot, I'm still loving the gif that Iwa dude made of it: https://twitter.com/Iw4zaru
« Last Edit: 2016-01-31 06:27:27 by Sega Chief »

Mithrain

• View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: 2016-02-01 08:37:45 »

Some commands use the weapon's targeting data which I missed so when I made healing weapons for Aeris I kinda forgot that it would interfere with Steal; I'm going to try tampering with the command's targeting data to get around it. Though it means Enemy Launcher won't be able to steal from absolutely everything on the field anymore :I

This alone almost tempts me to make a 3rd playthrough, just to abuse the fuck out of that "feature". :>

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: 2016-02-01 20:33:11 »
This alone almost tempts me to make a 3rd playthrough, just to abuse the fern out of that "feature". :>

I don't think I've seen Enemy Launcher being used much; it's basically designed for Blender strats (hurt enemy, heal allies) and affecting all targets with commands like an early Mega-All. Not super potent because of it's attack power, but nice and unique considering how it's sandwiched in the weapon lists.

Bit of an announcement to make on NT-

NT 1.4 is running late, but I'm not compromising on anything this time because it is going to be the last big overhaul (1.5 is a new game+ thing which isn't going to affect the base NT game). While I generally see a positive reaction to the Aeris thing when it happens, there's usually a couple of people who aren't too happy about it, usually for either story reasons or the method I do it by. And seeing as I've been redoing the game's dialogue and tweaking the events to enhance the story a bit, I can't really avoid dealing with this issue now (that and I think I promised Kalderasha that I'd make the option  :mrgreen: )

Yuffie has checks to see if she has been recruited for larger scenes where everyone appears; because she's now a mandatory recruitment, and because Vincent can be set up as one as well without needing to fight any bosses, that means I can swap this check over to use for Aeris instead. That way if you DON'T want her to stick around for the rest of the game for story-reasons, you'll have that option.

This'll take a bit of extra time, specifically because I need to try and combine two different scenes into one field (Bugenhagen's Observatory) which might be tricky. I also need to come up with some kind of non-intrusive means for making this choice. What do you all think about this?

eXistenZe

• View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: 2016-02-01 20:48:39 »
I don't get it... You're / you've implementing / ed an aerith revival option, but she does not interact with the story in the remaining game?

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: 2016-02-01 20:56:36 »
NT 1.4 is running late, but I'm not compromising on anything this time because it is going to be the last big overhaul (1.5 is a new game+ thing which isn't going to affect the base NT game). While I generally see a positive reaction to the Aeris thing when it happens, there's usually a couple of people who aren't too happy about it, usually for either story reasons or the method I do it by. And seeing as I've been redoing the game's dialogue and tweaking the events to enhance the story a bit, I can't really avoid dealing with this issue now (that and I think I promised Kalderasha that I'd make the option  :mrgreen: )

We still could make a new character.
Spoiler: show
 What do you think of a Sephiroth copy which is obsessed by the souls of Aerith and Zack?
He could be rescued by Barret while the Junon outbreak.

Gatchaman

• View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: 2016-02-02 00:53:53 »
I'd say just put a question in at the very beginning of the game, if that's possible, like the arrange/ normal mode. That way the choice is "out of universe".
If that's not possible, I guess you could have a dialogue box during the event with something like -
"There's no saving her... (<Aeris> Dies)"
"She's still breathing... (<Aeris> Lives)"
That seems to be 'gentle', as well as making the choice very clear.

iDerek759

• View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: 2016-02-02 05:57:25 »
I'd say just put a question in at the very beginning of the game, if that's possible, like the arrange/ normal mode. That way the choice is "out of universe".
If that's not possible, I guess you could have a dialogue box during the event with something like -

I actually really like this idea.

lionheart82

• View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: 2016-02-02 06:46:30 »
I like the idea segachief and since you are already on it might as well implement it however you think its best. It might be good to put that choice at the beginning of the game(it might be easier for you to change many things ingame as youll be clear what you need to focus on as opposing to have to keep game rich with both options), but then people might change their mind later and want to experience aeris alive so as mentioned above the option to choose keeping her after seph scene is also great idea. I would go with that later one if its not hard to implement.
« Last Edit: 2016-02-02 06:48:35 by lionheart82 »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: 2016-02-02 07:02:11 »
I don't get it... You're / you've implementing / ed an aerith revival option, but she does not interact with the story in the remaining game?

Most of the Disc 2 scenes are 'modular'; that is, the script checks who is in the party and then activates a small script for them to interject into scenes where Cloud, Tifa, or Cid (whoever's the main character at the time) are doing most of the talking. The majority of Disc 2's scenes are all modular like this, even important ones like activating the Keystone at the Forgotten City. Aeris herself isn't actually mentioned much in the game's story after her death which means a lot of scenes can remain intact, as all the characters are really doing is reacting to events as they unfold (weapon, Shinra's Huge Materia plan, etc.)

And then you hit the post-Rocket scene where the party have a 'what now' moment and try to decide what to do next to tackle Meteor. This is where it became problematic, because the whole point of this scene is the party remembering Aeris and then deciding to try and figure out what her plan was for stopping Sephiroth/Meteor. This can't work if she's, well, there but I was able to come up with a clean solution that fits. Once that one scene was fixed, there were no more problems. The ending FMV is maybe against it, but it's quite abstract so I'm just gonna say I get away with it :I

We still could make a new character. He could be rescued by Barret while the Junon outbreak.

A new character would be a bit sketchy. I think if there was one, it would need to use Aeris' animations/weapons/limits. Actually, no, if there is a new character it would have to be Guard Scorpion somehow <3

I like the idea segachief and since you are already on it might as well implement it however you think its best. It might be good to put that choice at the beginning of the game(it might be easier for you to change many things ingame as youll be clear what you need to focus on as opposing to have to keep game rich with both options), but then people might change their mind later and want to experience aeris alive so as mentioned above the option to choose keeping her after seph scene is also great idea. I would go with that later one if its not hard to implement.

I think I would probably go with an in-universe one. Alright, we'll do that.