Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4837468 times)

OLKv3

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #9675 on: 2020-06-01 11:07:05 »
Truly, I am a professional moron.

But speaking of E.Skills, do Malboros really have Magic Breath in 1.5v normal mode (not playing arranged yet)? Can't access Stillva's on the save I'm currently working on (disc 3), and Parasites don't have it when Manipulated.

Took a break from E.skills to get more side-quests done.

They have Bad Breath for me. I got Magic Breath from the Stilvas but that was on Disc 2. I don't know where they're supposed to be during the final disc

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9676 on: 2020-06-01 15:27:14 »
What is the difficulty difference between normal and arranged by the way?
I heard there is a randomize stat option but I dont know where to find it.

Also, if I only use the installer instead of 7th heaven, would steam achievements still work?

Enemies get a level boost which ups their damage dealt and affects some other things like steal success, magic accuracy, etc. Some also get an alternate attack to use. Some of the bosses are changed for a variant.

The randomise option is for the rank-up/Source-Point system. Instead of picking a pre-determined set of sources to upgrade the character, the randomiser rolls some sets for you to pick from.

For 2.0, Save Points are getting reworked. Instead of the big menu, it's just a simple Save Point message like vanilla. But by pressing Square, an additional menu can be opened to toggle some settings:

The ? option is just the telport to the Source Point/Rank-up screen. This becomes visible once you get your first upgrade available, similar to how it goes with 1.5.

The 'keep field music playing for battles' option has carried over, but the Random Battle toggle is being retired in favour of a maxed Enemy Away Materia being equipped on one of the early characters who joins the party. Idea is that an Enemy Away is a lot more versatile for adjusting encounter rate (don't need to visit a save point to do it) and has the advantage of affecting World Map encounters as well. I think the rate reduction is 87.5% for a maxed Enemy Away but the value held for it in the kernel is 14, so maybe it's possible to lift this closer to 100%.

Hard Mode toggle is also something new; this is what was going to be used with Arrange Mode (or Game Type B as it'll be called) but then I thought that people might want to play through the altered game events but without the difficulty increase, and then there might be people who want a difficulty increase but with the game's normal events/bosses. As the difficulty increase is handled through enemy AI, I figured the best approach would be to separate the difficulty increase out into its own option instead.

No EXP Mode was suggested on the Discord, so I've added that in. As the name goes, it lets you set EXP given by enemies to 0.

What I'm looking for now is any further suggestions for options. The way scripts work in this game is that field scripts are unique to each field screen, meaning there is no centralised script for Save Points on field screens. That means it takes a lot of time to spread a change to every Save Point in the game, given that there's quite a few of them. So if you have any ideas/suggestions for extra options to be added to this menu then now's the time to make them. I'll be implementing the new save point script across all of 2.0's fields in a couple of day's time.
« Last Edit: 2020-06-01 15:49:32 by Sega Chief »

TheOppressed

• View Profile
« Reply #9677 on: 2020-06-01 16:25:20 »
Hard Mode toggle is also something new; this is what was going to be used with Arrange Mode (or Game Type B as it'll be called) but then I thought that people might want to play through the altered game events but without the difficulty increase, and then there might be people who want a difficulty increase but with the game's normal events/bosses. As the difficulty increase is handled through enemy AI, I figured the best approach would be to separate the difficulty increase out into its own option instead.

Just for further clarification, this Hard Mode toggle means the difficulty changes of Arranged from Normal, right?

For example (please correct me if I'm wrong), I could play in Arrange mode but not have this Hard Mode toggle on, resulting in a sort of difficulty between Normal mode and Arranged?   

markul

• View Profile
« Reply #9678 on: 2020-06-01 17:27:47 »

What I'm looking for now is any further suggestions for options. The way scripts work in this game is that field scripts are unique to each field screen, meaning there is no centralised script for Save Points on field screens. That means it takes a lot of time to spread a change to every Save Point in the game, given that there's quite a few of them. So if you have any ideas/suggestions for extra options to be added to this menu then now's the time to make them. I'll be implementing the new save point script across all of 2.0's fields in a couple of day's time.
You have prepared the jump point to Mr Smile in the save points,so maybe you can use that to make in that map all the scripts you need for the Extended Menu like for example , the square button makes the jump,initialy the background is set to black and there is no music(or yes) then the menu options appear, and if the user want to go to the rank up screen, only need to show the background ,activate the music ,and execute the script. Its just an idea

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9679 on: 2020-06-01 18:01:30 »
Just for further clarification, this Hard Mode toggle means the difficulty changes of Arranged from Normal, right?

For example (please correct me if I'm wrong), I could play in Arrange mode but not have this Hard Mode toggle on, resulting in a sort of difficulty between Normal mode and Arranged?   

They'll be balanced roughly the same, and you can toggle hard mode on for either.

You have prepared the jump point to Mr Smile in the save points,so maybe you can use that to make in that map all the scripts you need for the Extended Menu like for example , the square button makes the jump,initialy the background is set to black and there is no music(or yes) then the menu options appear, and if the user want to go to the rank up screen, only need to show the background ,activate the music ,and execute the script. Its just an idea

Yeah, could do.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #9680 on: 2020-06-02 03:28:20 »
Are you going to still have the auto-tent and check SP options available? I like those =)

Also, how about a way to set Party leader? I saw on some streams (I have a guilty pleasure of watching people flip out every time X-ATM comes back!) that people started doing the disk 3 sidequests, only to realize that the required party member wasn't the leader, and they had to backtrack to the Highwind and switch it up. Might be a good QoL thing. Maybe that can be D3 only, and of course Cloud is required for the North Cave section, or would that be too much work?

Jlowe22

• View Profile
« Reply #9681 on: 2020-06-02 03:39:56 »
Is there a way to check if the latest version is installed without starting a new game?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9682 on: 2020-06-02 15:19:43 »
Are you going to still have the auto-tent and check SP options available? I like those =)

Also, how about a way to set Party leader? I saw on some streams (I have a guilty pleasure of watching people flip out every time X-ATM comes back!) that people started doing the disk 3 sidequests, only to realize that the required party member wasn't the leader, and they had to backtrack to the Highwind and switch it up. Might be a good QoL thing. Maybe that can be D3 only, and of course Cloud is required for the North Cave section, or would that be too much work?

SP itself isn't a thing anymore, the upgrades come at fixed points which can then be spent at a Save Point. Auto-Tent I think I can add as a shortcut like how it is now.

Party Leader swap I'll review when I get to it.

Is there a way to check if the latest version is installed without starting a new game?

When in doubt, can reinstall the mod from the latest files; assuming it's not being upgraded from 1.4, save files should be fine. If it's an IRO, then should be a release date field on it (if downloading from the catalog).

vaninhale

• View Profile
« Reply #9683 on: 2020-06-02 18:49:04 »
Hi Sega I want to thank you for making the mod. Playing it was amazing. I wanted to ask about the question marks at the bottom of the check character sp list. Is/was there a bonus character of somesort? Also, would you consider adding a new game+ of some kind.

TheTallMass

• View Profile
« Reply #9684 on: 2020-06-02 19:52:48 »
Hey Sega,

I'm enjoying the New Threat mod so far, though I did have a couple of curious questions:

• Which fights require "certain setups", such as the Jormungander fight? (E.g. Certain setups being "must fight from back row and use Bolt to survive") I'm actually doing a class-based, class-locked run of the mod and was unable to complete this fight, at least without power leveling (currently in the process of that). I'm fine breaking the whole class-locked thing every now and then if it's necessary to move forward with the mod, but I figured having a heads up would be nice.
  • For 2.0, are you planning for more stat customization? In relation to the above question, I'm playing class-locked characters, and having the ability to pick-and-choose a little bit more per character would be nice. You give many great options already, but a couple of them didn't quite fit for my run--that said, don't feel like that means you NEED more options. Merely a curious question.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9685 on: 2020-06-02 21:51:59 »
Hi Sega I want to thank you for making the mod. Playing it was amazing. I wanted to ask about the question marks at the bottom of the check character sp list. Is/was there a bonus character of somesort? Also, would you consider adding a new game+ of some kind.

Sorry about the entry on the SP list, it was for testing (I was thinking of using a total SP pool for all characters I think but abandoned it). But I'd accidentally spread it to every save point and never got round to removing it.

New Game+ is a tricky one. There is a debug command to 'reset' the game but I don't know if it does all the variables correctly. Also, the balancing of the game would still be as-is so it'd be little challenge for the vast majority of the 2nd playthrough.

What I was thinking of doing though was setting it up so that after beating Safer a save game can be made that reloads the player back to just before the point of no return, so that once the ending is finished and the game client closes the player can then use that save to carry on.

Hey Sega,

I'm enjoying the New Threat mod so far, though I did have a couple of curious questions:

• Which fights require "certain setups", such as the Jormungander fight? (E.g. Certain setups being "must fight from back row and use Bolt to survive") I'm actually doing a class-based, class-locked run of the mod and was unable to complete this fight, at least without power leveling (currently in the process of that). I'm fine breaking the whole class-locked thing every now and then if it's necessary to move forward with the mod, but I figured having a heads up would be nice.
  • For 2.0, are you planning for more stat customization? In relation to the above question, I'm playing class-locked characters, and having the ability to pick-and-choose a little bit more per character would be nice. You give many great options already, but a couple of them didn't quite fit for my run--that said, don't feel like that means you NEED more options. Merely a curious question.

1. I'm not actually sure to be honest. Arrange Mode's Jormungandr boss is definitely a spike as it's brought up a lot. The others maybe not so much, but Demon's Gate might be tricky.

2. It was suggested to add a 3rd option where the player pick the stats instead (so the pre-determined sets, the randomised sets, and then a new self-pick set). I haven't implemented it yet, but it should be fairly fast to do it.

TheTallMass

• View Profile
« Reply #9686 on: 2020-06-02 22:22:47 »
1. I'm not actually sure to be honest. Arrange Mode's Jormungandr boss is definitely a spike as it's brought up a lot. The others maybe not so much, but Demon's Gate might be tricky.

2. It was suggested to add a 3rd option where the player pick the stats instead (so the pre-determined sets, the randomised sets, and then a new self-pick set). I haven't implemented it yet, but it should be fairly fast to do it.
Thank you for your kind and quick response. I look forward to seeing all the great changes from 2.0 when it arrives, but I shall enjoy 1.5 in the meantime!

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #9687 on: 2020-06-03 00:55:08 »
So, I gotta ask if something is an intended feature, or an oversight (wouldn't be a bug, but...)

I'm hunting chocobos. When I face off against Valorons (sp?) near Rocket Town, the bad guys themselves scare the choco away when they case Wall +All. Combined with the low encounter rate of chcobos in that area, and the number that end up not being "great", this is a bit maddening. I know I can get Greats from Mideel, but I've always had better success with breeding/racing chocobos when they're from different regions (So a great male choco from Mideel and a great female from Rocket Town seem to produce a better racer than 2 greats from Mideel. I don't know if it's actually coded like that, but just something I noticed once).

In any case, is there a way to either a) not have chocobos spooked by status change or b) remove the +all component from the Valorons' self-buffs? Or is this intended and trying to figure out how to kill both valorons, without hitting the chocobo, before their first turn, an intended challenge?

TheTallMass

• View Profile
« Reply #9688 on: 2020-06-03 02:13:34 »
(Can't seem to edit posts...)

Update: I leveled up to one more set of stat boosts and the combination of increased ability scores, full limit break bars, and higher levels allowed me to continue being the classes that I wanted to be, forcing Jormungandr onto his second stage before he could Tail Slap me into oblivion!

• Barret: Dark Knight (front row; only gravity and destruct equipped)
  • Yuffie: Bodyguard (back row (no tranq); can't use spells but can equip elemental materia for elemental affiliation on weapon or armor, had cover materia but was not used)
  • Cloud: Samurai (front row; only sense and counter materia -- used limit breaks to beat the distance gap)

Thanks again Sega Chief! Still looking forward to 2.0.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9689 on: 2020-06-03 11:30:46 »
So, I gotta ask if something is an intended feature, or an oversight (wouldn't be a bug, but...)

I'm hunting chocobos. When I face off against Valorons (sp?) near Rocket Town, the bad guys themselves scare the choco away when they case Wall +All. Combined with the low encounter rate of chcobos in that area, and the number that end up not being "great", this is a bit maddening. I know I can get Greats from Mideel, but I've always had better success with breeding/racing chocobos when they're from different regions (So a great male choco from Mideel and a great female from Rocket Town seem to produce a better racer than 2 greats from Mideel. I don't know if it's actually coded like that, but just something I noticed once).

In any case, is there a way to either a) not have chocobos spooked by status change or b) remove the +all component from the Valorons' self-buffs? Or is this intended and trying to figure out how to kill both valorons, without hitting the chocobo, before their first turn, an intended challenge?

I wasn't aware that happened, I'll set it to single target casts.

(Can't seem to edit posts...)

Update: I leveled up to one more set of stat boosts and the combination of increased ability scores, full limit break bars, and higher levels allowed me to continue being the classes that I wanted to be, forcing Jormungandr onto his second stage before he could Tail Slap me into oblivion!

• Barret: Dark Knight (front row; only gravity and destruct equipped)
  • Yuffie: Bodyguard (back row (no tranq); can't use spells but can equip elemental materia for elemental affiliation on weapon or armor, had cover materia but was not used)
  • Cloud: Samurai (front row; only sense and counter materia -- used limit breaks to beat the distance gap)

Thanks again Sega Chief! Still looking forward to 2.0.

From what you've got equipped, I can't really see you beating that fight easily. You've rendered Cloud and Barret mostly useless, unless Barret has a gun equipped in which case he can get some attack stacks and deal a bit of damage. Yuffie can at least function with elemental. NT's arrange mode isn't really built for self-imposed challenge runs like this, as boss fights tend to have your full kit in mind when they're being specced; at the very least, swap in a character who has access to Barrier magic and/or healing magic to alleviate the strain a bit. Cloud is an absolute lost cause, so he'll need to just Defend and use items when needed. If he dies, only revive him when the boss starts to prepare Waterpolo. Yuffie can inflict Slow with Greased Lightning which should be done as early as possible.

If you have anyone with Morph, and assuming attack-items are fair game, try to Morph some Zemzeletts for Swift Bolts; this should deal good damage, as it has 1600 damage at base (before Magic Defence is applied, but should still be very high). War Gong for Berserk (to be used on Yuffie) can be acquired from Levrikons from Morph as well for a 1.5x damage boost but that means relinquishing control of that character which is probably not advisable. Could be used late on to push to the end or something.

Custom Sweepers Morph into Shrapnel; use for that could be hitting boss + Waterpolo at same time, should deal enough damage to kill the Waterpolo in one shot. Prowler can be morphed for Speed Drink, but it'll be tricky to morph it in time without using status ailments like Paralysis/Stop to keep him from fleeing the battle (Cross Slash/Seal Evil can do it, or Added Effect + Time in a weapon). If you can get Speed Drinks for Haste and Slow Jormungandr, then set ATB to Wait on the slowest speed, you'll have a tidy speed advantage.

Vampire Fangs can be morphed from Kalm Fangs, but unsure what their usefulness would be. They were buffed from the original game and may be a way of dealing damage while healing to take some strain off in a pinch. Base damage is 512 before defence is applied, so probably looking at 400-450 or so.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #9690 on: 2020-06-03 12:10:11 »
You da man, Sega Chief =)

Cybj

• View Profile
« Reply #9691 on: 2020-06-03 15:55:13 »
I found something odd (Spoiler):

Spoiler: show
Even though Aerith is dead, she's right there when parachuting into Midgar:

I'm guessing it's a flag that's set incorrectly?

Jlowe22

• View Profile
« Reply #9692 on: 2020-06-03 17:00:32 »

When in doubt, can reinstall the mod from the latest files; assuming it's not being upgraded from 1.4, save files should be fine. If it's an IRO, then should be a release date field on it (if downloading from the catalog).

If it is an upgrade the save files will be fine?  Or is it necessary to start a new game.  Being 15 hours in, I’m reluctant to start a new game.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9693 on: 2020-06-03 19:13:53 »
I found something odd (Spoiler):

Spoiler: show
Even though Aerith is dead, she's right there when parachuting into Midgar:

I'm guessing it's a flag that's set incorrectly?

Is that from the latest IRO from this thread (or my catalog) or is it from the Qhimm Catalog? I thought I'd fixed that earlier.

If it is an upgrade the save files will be fine?  Or is it necessary to start a new game.  Being 15 hours in, I’m reluctant to start a new game.

Yeah should be fine.

adiostorito

• View Profile
« Reply #9694 on: 2020-06-04 05:16:17 »
Hi Sega! Was continuing to use Vanilla New Threat through the Qhimm catalogue. Got to the part of Corel Mega Materia quest, and I believe it was the last two sections of the train that took me to Proud Clod's battle screen. I can't remember if the encounters were different. Anyways, looking forward to 2.0! Thanks for all your work!

TheTallMass

• View Profile
« Reply #9695 on: 2020-06-04 16:43:31 »
From what you've got equipped, I can't really see you beating that fight easily. You've rendered Cloud and Barret mostly useless, unless Barret has a gun equipped in which case he can get some attack stacks and deal a bit of damage. Yuffie can at least function with elemental. NT's arrange mode isn't really built for self-imposed challenge runs like this, as boss fights tend to have your full kit in mind when they're being specced; at the very least, swap in a character who has access to Barrier magic and/or healing magic to alleviate the strain a bit. Cloud is an absolute lost cause, so he'll need to just Defend and use items when needed. If he dies, only revive him when the boss starts to prepare Waterpolo. Yuffie can inflict Slow with Greased Lightning which should be done as early as possible.

If you have anyone with Morph, and assuming attack-items are fair game, try to Morph some Zemzeletts for Swift Bolts; this should deal good damage, as it has 1600 damage at base (before Magic Defence is applied, but should still be very high). War Gong for Berserk (to be used on Yuffie) can be acquired from Levrikons from Morph as well for a 1.5x damage boost but that means relinquishing control of that character which is probably not advisable. Could be used late on to push to the end or something.

Custom Sweepers Morph into Shrapnel; use for that could be hitting boss + Waterpolo at same time, should deal enough damage to kill the Waterpolo in one shot. Prowler can be morphed for Speed Drink, but it'll be tricky to morph it in time without using status ailments like Paralysis/Stop to keep him from fleeing the battle (Cross Slash/Seal Evil can do it, or Added Effect + Time in a weapon). If you can get Speed Drinks for Haste and Slow Jormungandr, then set ATB to Wait on the slowest speed, you'll have a tidy speed advantage.

Vampire Fangs can be morphed from Kalm Fangs, but unsure what their usefulness would be. They were buffed from the original game and may be a way of dealing damage while healing to take some strain off in a pinch. Base damage is 512 before defence is applied, so probably looking at 400-450 or so.
Thanks for the concern. Items are also heavily restricted (per the class instructions), but I did beat the fight without any major issues once he got put into the 2nd stage. Three full Level 1 limit bars plus rank 2 stats (Cloud as the SAM is beastly) dealt more than a good third of his HP out of the gate, and Yuffie's LB slowed him, allowing more attacks from my team.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9696 on: 2020-06-04 17:27:36 »
Hi Sega! Was continuing to use Vanilla New Threat through the Qhimm catalogue. Got to the part of Corel Mega Materia quest, and I believe it was the last two sections of the train that took me to Proud Clod's battle screen. I can't remember if the encounters were different. Anyways, looking forward to 2.0! Thanks for all your work!

I'll sort that out.

Thanks for the concern. Items are also heavily restricted (per the class instructions), but I did beat the fight without any major issues once he got put into the 2nd stage. Three full Level 1 limit bars plus rank 2 stats (Cloud as the SAM is beastly) dealt more than a good third of his HP out of the gate, and Yuffie's LB slowed him, allowing more attacks from my team.

Well, glad to hear you're through.

Ethario

• View Profile
« Reply #9697 on: 2020-06-05 01:54:18 »
2.0 when, FF7 remake didn't do it for me. Keep up the great work sega hope you can continue on FF8 aswell, much love

TheTallMass

• View Profile
« Reply #9698 on: 2020-06-05 02:13:58 »
Something I have run into is the invisible buttons:

I remember reading an earlier post stating that they were going to potentially be fixed. It was a gamble, but I managed to get 10 points on the military send-off for Rufus! I wonder if I'm missing a pre-req for the mod...

[Edit]As a test, I installed the Enhanced Stock UI mod from the catalog and I do have buttons now. The User Interface mod may have caused it... not sure. I don't know if it's normal for the NT mod or if it's something from outside. For now, my problem is resolved.[/Edit]
« Last Edit: 2020-06-05 04:37:29 by TheTallMass »

KaosuReido

• View Profile
« Reply #9699 on: 2020-06-05 09:16:20 »
Something I have run into is the invisible buttons:

I remember reading an earlier post stating that they were going to potentially be fixed. It was a gamble, but I managed to get 10 points on the military send-off for Rufus! I wonder if I'm missing a pre-req for the mod...

[Edit]As a test, I installed the Enhanced Stock UI mod from the catalog and I do have buttons now. The User Interface mod may have caused it... not sure. I don't know if it's normal for the NT mod or if it's something from outside. For now, my problem is resolved.[/Edit]

Basically, the "all in one" mods in the 7th Heaven catalog still have to be updated manually on the back end, and they don't tend to get updated super fast. So for rapidly changing or developing mods, like New Threat and ESUI, it's better to just use their own specific IROs, instead of the all-in-one IROs.