Author Topic: NPC Reconstruction Project Mod Issue  (Read 13395 times)

Jamers

• View Profile
NPC Reconstruction Project Mod Issue
« on: 2008-06-30 03:10:21 »
I figured it out. Yay! The problem, of course, lies with Vista. It won't allow you to write data into the Program Files directory, but instead creates a Virtual Drive under Users/Your Name/AppData and makes it appear that the data is in the Program Files folder. So why is this important?

Because the first time I extracted my char.lgp, it was a modified version, and was saved in the Virtual Drive. When I uninstalled and deleted the directory in the Program Files, because the extracted char.lgp was actually in the Virtual Drive, it remained. So, I deleted that Virtual Drive, reinstalled, and it worked. Sometimes, I hate Vista.

====================================

So, here is my problem.

I can unpack char.lgp just fine, but when I run NPC RP v0.6, I get the following error:

This program cannot update the installed version of MyProduct because of the following reasons:

C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\data\field\char\aacb.p: unknown version.

I don't have the Hand Model Mod installed. The only thing I have installed is the 1.02 patch off of a fresh, maximum install.

I am running Vista. Can anyone help?
« Last Edit: 2008-06-30 21:13:36 by Jamers »

auxili160

• View Profile
Re: NPC Reconstruction Project Mod Issue
« Reply #1 on: 2008-06-30 03:19:48 »
Where did you unpack char.lgp? Make sure you unpacked it to C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\data\field\char
aacb.p is likely the first file in char.lgp (it's alphabetically sorted), so if it can't find that, it most likely cannot find the others.

If you want to, reinstall FFVII in a new directory and copy the char.lgp to your current FFVII directory. See if that fixes your problem. However, I'd reccommend making sure you're following the rules for the npcrp.

Just to make sure you're doing it right, here are the directions:

Open up lgptools. unpack the ORIGINAL char.lgp to data\field\char
Run the NPCRP - it will replace the files in the /char folder with the ones in the patch
Open up lgptools. Select CREATE. Select the char folder. This will take all of the files in the /char folder and make a new char.lgp.

Jamers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-06-30 03:27:22 »
Where did you unpack char.lgp? Make sure you unpacked it to C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\data\field\char
aacb.p is likely the first file in char.lgp (it's alphabetically sorted), so if it can't find that, it most likely cannot find the others.

If you want to, reinstall FFVII in a new directory and copy the char.lgp to your current FFVII directory. See if that fixes your problem. However, I'd reccommend making sure you're following the rules for the npcrp.

Just to make sure you're doing it right, here are the directions:

Open up lgptools. unpack the ORIGINAL char.lgp to data\field\char
Run the NPCRP - it will replace the files in the /char folder with the ones in the patch
Open up lgptools. Select CREATE. Select the char folder. This will take all of the files in the /char folder and make a new char.lgp.

Believe me, I have checked, double checked, and triple checked to make sure I am following all of the directions correctly!  :-P I made sure to unpack the original char.lgp to data\field\char.

The first file is aaaa.hrc, actually.  :cry:

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-06-30 04:28:14 »
Get an original char.lgp then.

Jamers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-06-30 04:40:00 »
Get an original char.lgp then.

Unless the char.lgp on my game disc is bad (doubtful, as I've played through the game with little problem without this Mod), I don't see how this would help.

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-06-30 04:48:32 »
Ah, I guess I don't know the solution. Anyone else?

Jamers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-06-30 04:56:08 »
Ah, I guess I don't know the solution. Anyone else?

Well that makes two of us.  :-(

I do really appreciate your help - I only wish I had more information to give you.

Jamers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-06-30 16:19:32 »
Sorry for the double post, but I just thought of something. The first time I tried to install the mod I think I did do it (unwittingly) on a modified char.lgp. When I realized it wouldn't work, I uninstalled the game, deleted the directory, then reinstalled. However, is it possible that some artifact of the modified char.lgp extraction remains?

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-07-02 22:12:13 »
The first file is aaaa.hrc, actually.  :cry:

IT is aaaa.hrc so that's not your problem.  Hum... make sure you have a REALLY clean install.  Delete everything and start from the begining your file may have been corrupt for some reason. Are you using the US version ?

Jamers

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-07-03 00:22:58 »
IT is aaaa.hrc so that's not your problem.  Hum... make sure you have a REALLY clean install.  Delete everything and start from the begining your file may have been corrupt for some reason. Are you using the US version ?

I actually figured it out - I edited my first post to show what the issue was. It had to do with how Vista handles data written to the Program Files directory... basically Vista is exceptionally annoying.

DJGamer

« Reply #10 on: 2009-03-19 01:42:35 »
I did a google seach on the issue I'm having and this topic came up.  The thing is although the error is exactly the same I'm looking in my appdata and I can't find anything like what this guy's describing-so either I'm having a different issue altogether or it's because he wasn't specific enough about his solution.  So where exactly is this "virtual drive", and how do I delete it if it exists to begin with?

I've already done the first two steps indicated in the read me file.  I had to change the directory path since I have it installed on a second hard drive.  I'm running 64-bit Vista.

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #11 on: 2009-04-16 19:02:32 »
everytime i try out this mod on my vista, it makes the characters miss body parts... like shoulders, hands, etc. and i do it EXACTLY the way i do it on XP and still same thing... idk y tho... i no how to install that mod and everything...

« Reply #12 on: 2009-04-17 19:47:41 »
I had the exact same problem, but with all mods.. what you need to do is right click on FF7 run icon and click properties,  then click compatibility and switch it to windows 95 or 98. It worked for me... ^.^
The mods wont work on Vista otherwise.. well at least for me.