Author Topic: hacking field position  (Read 3769 times)

Demarest

• View Profile
hacking field position
« on: 2007-04-29 14:38:26 »
Hello. I distinctly remember reading a post/thread somewhere that touched base on the values in memory that store your current field position. The context of the conversation led me to believe that what was being discussed was NOT world map position, but where you actually were on any given field map. Yet searching, I was unable to find this thread again.

Basically, I'm looking to get into memory and edit my field position to bypass the Whirlwind Maze's three points of wind without having to resort to software rendering. Is this possible? Would somebody be so kind as to point me in the right direction as to how to go about doing this? If there's an easier way to accomlish this goal, I'm all ears. Though it's still a talent I'd like to learn.

Thank you for your time.

Synergy Blades

Re: hacking field position
« Reply #1 on: 2007-04-29 15:05:38 »
I haven't tested this, but it should work. I assume the problem is you can't time it correctly and just end up getting battles all the time, but it's been a while since I played it.

• Extract the following fields from the field.lgp archive using Ficedula's LGPTools: woa_1, woa_2, woa_3. Make sure to click Yes to decompress them.
  • Open up Meteor. If you haven't got it... I'll upload it somewhere, since my webspace is down at the moment.
  • For each of the three fields: open the field (File > Open), switch to the Entities & Script tab. Open the entity named "drctr"; click Script 1, it'll appear in the editor box on the right.
  • Look for the line in script that says BATTLE(00, D9, 02); delete the line. Click on a different script (say Script 2 in the list on the left) to make sure the script is resaved.
  • Save the field (File > Save). Repeat for all three fields.
  • Recompress each field using FiceLZS (using the command line: lzs.exe -c5 filename).
  • Using LGPTools, right-click woa_1/2/3 and select Replace. Select the newly compressed files for each entry.

And with that you should be able to hop straight through without any battles.

Demarest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-04-29 16:20:21 »
  • Open up Meteor. If you haven't got it... I'll upload it somewhere, since my webspace is down at the moment.
That would be great. And thank you for the fast, specific help :)

No, when I was playing on a Voodoo3, getting through them was no issue. If I alt+tabbed out of the game and back in or went into the menu, sometimes the visuals didn't match up with what was actually going on. Leaving the screen and coming right back always fixed it though. That was the only issue I ever experienced.

But apparently, there's a known issue with the 1.02 EXE that makes the wind appear full blast all the time. When I ran into this my last time through, I did a search. It was fairly common and the only solution I read was to go into software rendering mode. Well I'm using the saint patch among other things and this meant reverting to the original 1.02 EXE. Since I'm on 2000, I had my modified EXE psuedo-patched using Windows AppFix. Well using a different EXE, I had to use AppFix to launch the game. So the next time I went to start a new game, I had to have AppFix recreate the fix. A process that doesn't always take for some reason. In the end, what you're describing will be less hassle believe it or not. And since others have expressed the same issue, I'm sure you description will help more than just me in the long run.

Look forward to grabbing Meteor so I can get this sorted before I get there (almost there!).

Synergy Blades

« Reply #3 on: 2007-04-29 17:07:11 »
Here you go: http://bin.mypage.sk/FILES/Meteor.exe

Let me know how you get on.

Demarest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-04-29 17:38:36 »
Followed your instructions to the letter. Loaded up one of the saves I had just before having to run that gauntlet. Success! Tried all three points just to be sure. Now I can pass that part in high res, and with all the time saving features of Gypt.

Thanks once again for writing all that out for me. And uploading the program. Would you like me to mirror that for you? You'd be able to use my hosting for it indefinitely.

This place is great. I really wish I would've been around at the front of the curve so I could've contributed more and wouldn't have to waste everybody's time with these questions I would've been able to figure out on my own. Thanks for taking the time to help us latecomers.

Synergy Blades

« Reply #5 on: 2007-04-29 17:56:56 »
No problem, I quite enjoy the more intelligent or interesting questions asked. It's good to get people pointing out interesting bits of script you've never thought of looking at before.

You can mirror the program if you like; send a quick private message with the link and I'll update the Wiki/app thread to point to the new URL. I should have some space sorted within the next few weeks.

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-04-29 18:49:26 »
But apparently, there's a known issue with the 1.02 EXE that makes the wind appear full blast all the time. When I ran into this my last time through, I did a search. It was fairly common and the only solution I read was to go into software rendering mode. Well I'm using the saint patch among other things and this meant reverting to the original 1.02 EXE.

Huh? Im using an english version of the 1.02 EXE and the Saint's Patch and I dont have this problem O.o

Demarest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007-04-29 19:05:47 »
How do you do it?

At any rate, search this forum for the word Whirlwind and you'll see what I mean. If I repeated false information, I apologize. But steady wind is what I see and that's what at least a few other people have seen as well.

I have an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro and Windows 2000. My FFVII has the Saint high res and chocobo patch, the Saint x1024 overpatch, Window's AppFix's fix, then YAMP with Gypt, Lucky Tifa, Always Run, and mini-games patch applied.