Author Topic: [FF9PC] Field Background replacement (patch?)  (Read 38040 times)

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
Re: [FF9PC] Field Background replacement (patch?)
« Reply #50 on: 2017-04-09 19:03:58 »
I'm still getting the old scenes after installing. On a fresh install of FF9 to FF9_Launcher.exe After I use your launcher steam asks me if I want to continue, then opens the original launcher. Is that normal?

Meru

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2017-04-09 19:44:24 »
I'm still getting the old scenes after installing. On a fresh install of FF9 to FF9_Launcher.exe After I use your launcher steam asks me if I want to continue, then opens the original launcher. Is that normal?
Uh, no this is not normal. Not sure what is going on.

What do you mean by (marked with bold):
On a fresh install of FF9 to FF9_Launcher.exe

Also, I just want to clarify, after you press PLAY in my launcher Steam starts original launcher where you can click Play again? This is totally weird Oo

Try one of these and see if it makes any difference:
- temporarily remove original "FF9_Launcher.exe" and try to start the game
- rename my launcher into "FF9_Launcher.exe" and try to start the game

Technically launcher is almost the same. Except different artwork.
« Last Edit: 2017-04-09 19:46:32 by Meru »

KaidenJames

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2017-04-09 20:22:11 »
Fresh install meaning I just installed the game. I tried renaming your launcher and steam still asked permission, then re-opened your launcher. When I got in game it looked like this:

Meru

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2017-04-09 20:25:49 »
Fresh install meaning I just installed the game. I tried renaming your launcher and steam still asked permission, then re-opened your launcher. When I got in game it looked like this:

Yeah there seem to be a problem. I'll investigate. I guess I forgot something.

Meru

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2017-04-09 21:50:27 »
There may be two issues actually. I uploaded a new version that should fix the thing on your last screenshot. Can be installed on top of the old one.
As for Steam re-starting the wrong launcher, if i understand the problem correctly - I am not yet sure what to do cause this is not a patch problem per se.

Edit: you can try this launcher (without renaming it), which will be included in the next version anyway. But in general I have no idea how Steam figures out that this launcher is for FFIX and not for some other software and why it restarts the launcher at all.
« Last Edit: 2017-04-10 00:10:47 by Meru »

KaidenJames

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2017-04-10 04:54:31 »
Okay I got it working:

I reinstalled your new patch and was getting the same errors, minus the messed up backgrounds. Then I tried the other patch you linked, that didn't work right away. I moved the original launcher out, moved in the new one you provided and renamed it. Steam once again reopened your launcher, but when I got in game it was working.

Thanks for looking into it, and most importantly thanks for the hard work on this great mod. I've been waiting very patiently since this pc version came out for a field replacement mod.

Meru

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2017-04-10 08:40:37 »
I reinstalled your new patch and was getting the same errors, minus the messed up backgrounds. Then I tried the other patch you linked, that didn't work right away. I moved the original launcher out, moved in the new one you provided and renamed it. Steam once again reopened your launcher, but when I got in game it was working.
Yea. For some reason Steam restarts the game. I am not sure what I can do about that.
I mean, I can rename the launcher myself during patch install, but I don't really want to. As for how to prevent Steam from messing with the game so much...

Generally even if you'll keep the launcher renamed, patch should not break during any possible game update. As long as they won't touch the launcher.
« Last Edit: 2017-04-10 08:51:34 by Meru »

Meru

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2017-04-10 16:32:27 »
would be cool if someone on 64bit windows can test this (i have not made it working for x86):

-download ffix_test.exe
-Run it once pointing to the right directory
-try to launch FFIX_Field_Patch.exe and see if Steam still kicks-in
-regardless of the outcome, run ffix_test.exe again to undo any changes

Also if someone have any ideas about how to stop Steam from kicking in without messing with registry entries - drop me a note. Generally I am looking for a more lightweight solution compared to, lets say emulating steam completely.

KaidenJames

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2017-04-10 16:43:22 »
I just tried your ffix_test.exe. All it did was open the folder where Steam is actually installed.

Meru

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2017-04-10 16:54:46 »
I just tried your ffix_test.exe. All it did was open the folder where Steam is actually installed.
Ouch. You mean you started "FFIX_Field_Patch.exe" and it opened folder? Holy shit... I hate Steam.
You can delete that exe and don't run it again cause it can mess up the game.
Anyway, thanks for trying it out. Guess for now I will simply replace the original launcher. And later, if there is no good way to trick it into opening my launcher instead, maybe I'll emulate steam...

KaidenJames

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2017-04-10 17:12:15 »
Yes after I ran the new .exe, I ran your launcher. I hope you figure this Steam thing out. Wish I could help more, but i'm here for testing if/when you need it. Again, keep up the awesome work man!

Meru

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2017-04-11 12:18:52 »
Here is another attempt with the patch. No new backgrounds was added yet. Want to mess with it a bit more before it became too huge.

It must work without the need to rename anything. (But it may not work at all as well  :evil:)
« Last Edit: 2017-04-11 12:20:30 by Meru »

KaidenJames

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2017-04-12 00:08:15 »
Okay, I believe your newest patch is working as expected. I installed and ran the FFIX_Field_Patch.exe. Your launcher opened and launched the game without asking Steam first. Backgrounds loaded and everything is good. No renaming necessary!

Meru

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2017-04-12 14:55:19 »
Mkay thanks. For now, this will be the way it will work. Also there is a new version with Disc2 backgrounds added.

JLOUTLAW

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2017-04-27 11:40:21 »
So um....your links are not working.

shikulja

• View Profile

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2017-05-01 19:51:05 »
Your "FFP_Data" is a link to a folder and not a folder itself. Most programs don't like it at all.

Cut/paste the real folder there so it is spotted.

shikulja

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2017-05-02 15:26:45 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2017-05-02 22:45:24 »
What is "fucksteam.dll"?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: 2017-05-03 04:41:46 »
Hmm, I have an idea on what it is...

Fraggoso

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2017-06-19 16:27:18 »
Hi Meru, are you still working on tweaking things like masks?
Did you find a good solution?

I stuck to my solution, upsizing the psx with the Sinc (Lanczos 3) algorithm and using my scripts to get the mask a little thinner.
If you want to hop on a chat so we can brainstorm on improving, I would definitely love to do so.

Let me know!

Meru

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2017-12-05 15:03:43 »
Late reply but hey.
I think I've mentioned before, or maybe I wasn't very clear. Processing masks wasn't in my plans. The only processing that is worth doing is by hand, but that's not reasonable. With automated processing it is possible to make mask edges smooth, but they will still not line up with artwork properly. Unless it lines up perfectly, for me it doesn't make a difference.

ff7maniac

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2017-12-30 00:12:28 »
I can not wait for the four CDs to be finished :D!