Poll

Which was a better game?

Chrono Trigger
18 (81.8%)
Chrono Cross
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Bold Statement: Chrono Cross was a better game than Chrono Trigger  (Read 8078 times)

AlaDoucheSG

• View Profile
From what I understand, it's a pretty uncommon opinion, but I just thought Cross was so much better than Trigger.  Not talking about graphics, because that wouldn't be fair, but the story, characters, music, etc... I just found them all to be much more engaging.  In fact, Chrono Cross is my favorite game of all time.

I'm interested to hear why people think Chrono Trigger is better, especially for reasons other than nostalgia.  :P

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
For me, it's all the music. Chrono Trigger  has one of my favorite soundtracks of all time. Cross has good music, but I just don't think it compares. "Yearnings of Wind" is just such an amazing song, y'know?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger. As Covarr said, the music. I also loved the gameplay - not that Chrono Cross' wasn't good - and the characters. Also multiple endings (haven't finished Chrono Cross so can't tell if it's the same though). Also continuity between Trigger and Cross which always bothered me. But oh well, they did transport a shell weighing a couple tons in CT :P I can't talk about nostalgia (the only game that ever gives me nostalgia is FFVIII), but there's something about the game that I really like, and I can't pinpoint what it is precisely.

AlaDoucheSG

• View Profile
Cross does have multiple endings (4 if I'm not mistaken).  And there are a TON of things in Chrono Cross that relate to Trigger, most of them are not part of the plot that you're required to experience.

Mendelevium

• View Profile
In terms of graphics I'd actually argue Chrono Trigger was a more aesthetically pleasing visual experience. I was never able to get into Chrono Cross fully, I never got a full sense of immersion that I got from other games. I didn't finish Chrono Trigger either though, but the story and characters were very well presented. I think many 3D games from the PS1 were hard to look at xD. They were charming in their own ways though :3.

I agree with Covarr on the music, I haven't played the game in years and I can still hear the songs in my head. I can't remember any from from Cross, which I played for a few hours. It felt like a well constructed game though, I just wasn't able to get into it emotionally and invest myself into it because for whatever reason I couldn't bring myself to get immersed into the world and characters..

The same problem I have with Dragon Age and Mass Effect series really, I can appreciate the game in many ways, and see it was a wonderful work of art and an experience to love for what it is, but I cannot bring myself to keep playing it out. For whatever reason that is.

Still, Cross looks like a good game. I might have to give it a go again sometime.

Erik

• View Profile
Currently playing Chrono Cross for the first time on my PSP. No spoilers please haha, but I like it it has a nice pacing. This is my second attempt to finish it though, the first time I just got to the beginning and quit for some reason. Now I'm going for it hundred percent.

CT was great though.

AlaDoucheSG

• View Profile
"Currently playing Chrono Cross for the first time on my PSP. No spoilers please haha, but I like it it has a nice pacing"

Ahhh!  I wish I could play it for the first time again!  The end is SO GOOD!

Erik

• View Profile
"Currently playing Chrono Cross for the first time on my PSP. No spoilers please haha, but I like it it has a nice pacing"

Ahhh!  I wish I could play it for the first time again!  The end is SO GOOD!

Well as I said no spoilers please :D. I'm only on Disc 1 now. Guess I can come back when I've finished it.

AlaDoucheSG

• View Profile
Just checking in to see if you've finished it!  It's been..... a while, so I assume you have!

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Just checking in to see if you've finished it!  It's been..... a while, so I assume you have!
You can't always assume that two years is enough time to beat a game. :)

AlaDoucheSG

• View Profile
Good point.  But CC is just so good, I can't imagine someone not powering through it.   8-)

hian

• View Profile
I think Chrono Trigger has the better battle system. That's about it in terms of what I think can be spoken of in terms of "better" and "worse".
Also, the load-times in Chrono Trigger are better =P but that's to be expected.

I prefer the story, the world, the art-style, the music (although certain tracks in Chrono Trigger stand out to me as being above the general tracks of Cross, Cross has more music I like on average), and the overall feel of Chrono Cross.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
I couldn't get into either of them.  I think I got spoiled by FF.  The story and gameplay just did not grip me at all. I love the music, though.

AlaDoucheSG

• View Profile
I think Chrono Trigger has the better battle system. That's about it in terms of what I think can be spoken of in terms of "better" and "worse".
Also, the load-times in Chrono Trigger are better =P but that's to be expected.

I prefer the story, the world, the art-style, the music (although certain tracks in Chrono Trigger stand out to me as being above the general tracks of Cross, Cross has more music I like on average), and the overall feel of Chrono Cross.

Yep, this is pretty much exactly where I am.

I couldn't get into either of them.  I think I got spoiled by FF.  The story and gameplay just did not grip me at all. I love the music, though.

Man, gameplay I can see being an issue, because it's different, but story?  Both of them are better than any FF game I've played (I haven't played 1, 2, 3, or 5).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
I didn't think so.  It just didn't start well at all - there's an awful lot of movement with very little exposition and dialogue.  Just didn't pull me in at all.  Maybe if it had, I'd have really enjoyed it.  but after the way FF7,8,9,10 start - I can't go back to endless battles with the odd "OK let's go to location B" anymore.
« Last Edit: 2016-04-21 14:27:57 by DLPB »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Haven't played Cross, but CT is good. Best part is the music haha. The story is very simple. It gets more interesting as you go. If it hadn't I would probably have dropped it too.

Spoiler: show

If it weren't for the 1st Lavos reveal and the magic kingdom...
Also the only characters I like are Frog and Magus.

All that being said, I understand why people love it (I do too lol).