Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII in-battle menu framerate  (Read 8465 times)

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
Final Fantasy VII in-battle menu framerate
« on: 2012-08-16 23:33:01 »
Not sure if this can even be fixed, but the framerate at which the battle menu works is very peculiar. In the PSX version, the battles themselves ran at about 18 frames per second while the battle menu/HUD ran at 60fps.  In the PC version the battle menu only runs at half of that speed, this is especially noticeable when the characters' HP/MP increases or decreases, it's not as smooth as the PSX runs it at. Does that make sense?  It's also noticeable when scrolling through the item/magic commands, they too only scroll at 30fps when it should be 60fps like it was in the PSX. Are there any mods or patches that make the in-battle menus run at their proper speed.  This also affects how fast the ATB bars fill up when a character is awaiting a command.

I know that this issue remained ever since the old PC version was released back in 1998, but has anyone ever figured out why this happens and how to force the menus to run at full speed like the PSX version?

Kranmer

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII in-battle menu framerate
« Reply #1 on: 2012-08-17 09:15:15 »
I don't think there are any patch's that change the menu speed too much, the "Menu overhaul project" does change how fast the in-game menu opens.
also there is a DLL that allows the user to control battle FPS
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=10474.msg183510#msg183510
but this only controls the whole battle FPS to a set speed, everything moves faster with faster FPS (i mean it doesn't change just the menu but the whole battle will run faster),
but DLPB is working on controlling how fast the Slots work so he may be the person to ask about this.
There is also already a thread about battle FPS (its the same thread as above) which may help answer some of your questions.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=10474.0

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-08-17 15:14:55 »
Crap, that's what I was afraid of. Oh, well, I hope someone can develop a mod that speeds up the in-battle menu itself; it would be especially useful for the slot machine speed since it only runs at 30fps and not 60 as it should.

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-08-18 14:41:45 »
How nice it is to be ignored  :?

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-08-18 15:29:19 »
Oh dear.  We didn't stop our lives to cater immediately to your every whim?  No one patted you on the head for nearly 24 hours?!

What has this world come to.   ::)

Read: Patience, young padawan.  The few remaining Jedi who know of these secrets are quite busy, and cannot always immediately come to your aid.  Trust in the force.

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-08-18 16:30:03 »
Oh dear.  We didn't stop our lives to cater immediately to your every whim?  No one patted you on the head for nearly 24 hours?!

What has this world come to.   ::)

Read: Patience, young padawan.  The few remaining Jedi who know of these secrets are quite busy, and cannot always immediately come to your aid.  Trust in the force.

All right, I can wait, I just thought these forums were dead

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-08-18 18:15:57 »
All right, I can wait, I just thought these forums were dead
Nah.  Just the few people who may have a slight clue about how to alter the FPS, let alone if it can be done are super busy these days.  They all had plenty of projects going already, and this re-release thing isn't making things easier.

I know there's been some tweaks to certain aspects in terms of FPS, and talk of others, but I lack enough knowledge to really address what you're asking about, sorry.

the_randomizer85

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-08-18 18:29:52 »
Nah.  Just the few people who may have a slight clue about how to alter the FPS, let alone if it can be done are super busy these days.  They all had plenty of projects going already, and this re-release thing isn't making things easier.

I know there's been some tweaks to certain aspects in terms of FPS, and talk of others, but I lack enough knowledge to really address what you're asking about, sorry.

quoted from user from another game forum

"But the menu is drawn on every-other-frame, instead of on every frame. So I guess now instead of actually drawing it on every frame, they instead draw every menu frame... so you get 30fps"

Lovely. Just lovely. No speed boost for you.  :-o
« Last Edit: 2012-08-20 06:33:23 by the_randomizer85 »