Author Topic: [HD Remake] WIP Sector 5 slums  (Read 275263 times)

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Re: [HD Remake] WIP Sector 5 slums
« Reply #500 on: 2015-01-17 10:00:38 »
What a gorgeous scene once more! Aeris's house revamped! Astonishing work! Looking forward for the update!

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: 2015-01-17 18:59:24 »
Ok, here's a rendition of the eals_1 scene, I hope you'll enjoy.

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: 2015-01-18 00:33:06 »
Hi folks,

I've released eals_1, the files are on the repo. I'll upload a picture tonight to show you how that looks. Again, if someone happens to be interested in trying out the field, while not having access to the repo, you can PM me so that I can email the files to you. 3 notes about that release:
- Given there's no simple way to get the waterfall to work properly, I've released this scene without the waterfall.
- I changed the color of the crepuscular rays (yellow to emulate a winter sun)
- The default character size (512 in Makou Reactor) works well.

That wraps up Elmya and Aerith's house. Now, onto the Sector 5 slum market.

This means wall market is next?

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: 2015-01-18 05:08:11 »
This means wall market is next?
No, it's the big plaza of the Sector 5 slums with a cluster of shops in the middle, and the rusting bus turned into a weapon shop. And all related indoor scenes. In other words, mds5_1, 5min1, 5min_2, mds5_i, mds5_dk, mds5_i, and mds5_m.
I do not intend to model the Wall Market afterwards.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #504 on: 2015-01-18 14:32:25 »
So nicely dirty! It's the slams anyway!!! :)

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: 2015-01-19 00:38:17 »
No, it's the big plaza of the Sector 5 slums with a cluster of shops in the middle, and the rusting bus turned into a weapon shop. And all related indoor scenes. In other words, mds5_1, 5min1, 5min_2, mds5_i, mds5_dk, mds5_i, and mds5_m.
I do not intend to model the Wall Market afterwards.

From your last progress on that scene I thought it looked completed :)

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: 2015-01-19 14:58:03 »
You might say it's 95% completed - the modelling and texturing is essentially done, but I need to make them playable. The remaining work to do is to make all final renders (currently rendering mds5_1, estimated total rendering time: 6 days! and I'll have to re-render the layers...), and do the job of layering which sometimes can be a pain (it took me a week to get ealin_2 correctly).

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: 2015-01-21 23:55:03 »
Quick update:

I'm into making the renders of mds5_1, which is taking a long time since it's the largest and most complicated scene by a long shot. The biggest chunk is done, though - I'd say that I'm through 70% of the rendering job, but I'll still have to cut the layers and arrange them.
In the meantime: I actually wasn't too happy with the way I made the crepuscular rays for eals_1, so I remade that layer. The files in the repo have been updated. Below is the result:

I hope that looks better to you.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: 2015-01-25 16:19:40 »
Just letting you know: some unexpected delays on the mds5_1 layers. Basically, the renders I made for the extra layers were not showing the volumetric scattering effect, so I have to re-render all these things. I should have tested that earlier. Pretty much 5 days of rendering down the drain  :(

EDIT: Found a workaround, so it wasn't all for nothing. Currently into adding post-processing effects (beams of light, light glows/glares, etc.). Hopefully I can have it finished by the end of the week.
« Last Edit: 2015-01-27 17:38:16 by Mayo Master »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: 2015-01-31 18:46:57 »
Update: And yet more delays for mds5_1  >:(

After a lot of work, upon testing the scene in game, it turned out that the automated layer cut is causing an awful lot of problems: mostly there are many places where the background layer is not showing, leaving the area black. So... I even have many areas to remodel in order to "hide" the areas where the background is cut, by adding "stuff" on foreground layers. And then I'll have to re-render and re-cut all that.

Quote from: Barret
Cheap %#*^......

What he said.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: 2015-02-05 01:03:52 »
Hi folks,

mds5_1 is finally done and uploaded to the repo. Below is the final render with light layers:

Again, anyone who wishes to try it without having access to the repo, please PM me. I hope you like it.

As a side note: finalizing this scene has been tedious and painful. As a lesson for future scenes: when modelling a new scene, it is key to refer to the background layer as given by Palmer. Referring to this layer in particular is helpful in preventing the following issue: Considering the background layer  given by Palmer such as the one below 

It is essential that the tiles in white shown on that layer be covered by objects located on a foreground layer. If not, it will instead reveal an area not covered by foreground objects, where the background layer will not be displayed either, resulting in black pixels. I had to go through an awful lot of troubleshooting to get that fixed, because I had been basing my modelling on the complete scene (where all layers are displayed together). The tiling process of the various layers is very limiting (not to mention the problem of alpha values).
Anyway, I need something more straightforward to do next - I've lots a few neurons and some hair completing that one.

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #511 on: 2015-02-05 11:08:26 »
Hi folks,

mds5_1 is finally done and uploaded to the repo. Below is the final render with light layers:

Again, anyone who wishes to try it without having access to the repo, please PM me. I hope you like it.

As a side note: finalizing this scene has been tedious and painful. As a lesson for future scenes: when modelling a new scene, it is key to refer to the background layer as given by Palmer. Referring to this layer in particular is helpful in preventing the following issue: Considering the background layer  given by Palmer such as the one below 

It is essential that the tiles in white shown on that layer be covered by objects located on a foreground layer. If not, it will instead reveal an area not covered by foreground objects, where the background layer will not be displayed either, resulting in black pixels. I had to go through an awful lot of troubleshooting to get that fixed, because I had been basing my modelling on the complete scene (where all layers are displayed together). The tiling process of the various layers is very limiting (not to mention the problem of alpha values).
Anyway, I need something more straightforward to do next - I've lots a few neurons and some hair completing that one.

Amazing work.  You are a beast.
I believe the note about the white tiles also applies to FF8.  Alpha channel shenanigans.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: 2015-02-05 18:35:27 »
That is fugging awesome!

You really nailed the lighting on that scene

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: 2015-02-06 06:38:09 »
Excellent job!

Thanks for sharing!

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: 2015-02-06 17:37:01 »
So how much of the backgrounds are already finished? I would really like to see all those beautiful renders in the game, even if it's just the first few screens of the game. :)

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: 2015-02-06 18:33:51 »
The number scenes which have been finished, and finalized to be playable,  has reached the amazing amount of... ehm, 7.
I have 6 other scenes which are almost done, where I have to finalize the layering and post-processing effects, and that's currently underway. I'd like to believe I can do these before the end of the month, but recent experience has shown that unforeseen problems may pop up at that stage.
Once I have the package of my Sector 5 scenes done (market, related shops, and Aerith's house), I'll make a "public" release.
anaho made a few scenes for Mideel, I think a couple of them are almost complete and playable.
And then there's Ulpians's scene where the layering and post-processing wasn't done.

So, yeah, our progress is about 9/650, soon to be around 15/650  :-o

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: 2015-02-08 21:51:56 »
Update!

The item shop scene mds5_i was updated (a couple of tweaks here and there), and uploaded to the repo (the tiled field files were replaced). Below is how the scene looks like:

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: 2015-02-11 00:27:48 »
Update!

The mds5_dk scene, aka "Man in pipe" aka "This guy are sick" scene, has been finalized and uploaded to the repo. Below is the final render with the lighting layer:

I hope you enjoy.

Omzy

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: 2015-02-11 02:00:07 »
Excellent work! I check here often hoping that there are new screens  :-P

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: 2015-02-11 02:07:00 »
Amazing work Mayo! I can't help but notice you're using a Chinese font for 歓迎 and 漢 in the shop, I know it doesn't really matter given that it's a fantasy world but they feel a little out of place due to the inconsistency (or did the original scene use Chinese fonts for those too?).
« Last Edit: 2015-02-11 02:08:31 by luksy »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: 2015-02-11 03:23:27 »
Amazing work Mayo! I can't help but notice you're using a Chinese font for 歓迎 and 漢 in the shop, I know it doesn't really matter given that it's a fantasy world but they feel a little out of place due to the inconsistency (or did the original scene use Chinese fonts for those too?).
Actually, original scenes have a lot of kanji writings. For texturing, it's best to figure out what they were meant to be, so we can get the high-res version of them, so we do make some search. SpooX has been recently struggling with the original writings on the train car, for instance. For quite a lot of material, I was able to find information here:
http://www.glitterberri.com/final-fantasy-vii/map-analysis/map-analysis-part-5/
and I've been trusting this source so far (sometimes double-checking with my girlfriend who has rudimentary knowledge of Japanese).

All in all, I've made an effort in order to get some Japanese writings which would make sense to a Japanese reader - which is very tricky since I've pretty much no knowledge of the language myself. If you have some advice in that area, please let me know. Or did you mean that the font was specifically Chinese and would be unused for Japanese writings?
« Last Edit: 2015-02-11 03:30:28 by Mayo Master »

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: 2015-02-11 04:08:05 »
Yeah sorry, the font in particular is Chinese, there are subtle differences in how the CJK characters are rendered depending on the font and that scene has a mix of both Japanese and Chinese fonts.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: 2015-02-11 04:45:58 »
To be honest I thought that kanjis which were common to Chinese and Japanese could be written with whatever font. I have other fonts for kanjis which generally look more "modern" to my Westerner eyes, but in that particular case I wanted a more "rustic" kind of font for the kanjis you mentioned. If you could redirect me to someplace where I could find a variety of Japanese (rather than Chinese) True Type fonts, I'd appreciate.

If there is a place where Chinese fonts were possibly used in the original game, that would be in the Wall Market / Don Corneo's mansion. If you could please check out the corresponding scenes
http://www.glitterberri.com/final-fantasy-vii/map-analysis/map-analysis-part-2/
and let me know? I don't have a discriminating eye for that. If there are Chinese fonts used in any of these, then maybe I could get away with a Chinese/Japanese font mix in mds5_i. If not, well then I guess I'll have to re-texture these.

Anyway, that's an area where I could definitely use some help  :)

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: 2015-02-11 06:12:47 »
This clip from the unicode charts should give you a better idea of what I'm talking about

Take a look at 8FCE

To the untrained eye the characters are all pretty similar, but if you can read Chinese or Japanese the differences kind of stand out.

Don Corneo's might make sense in a Chinese font, although the feeling I always got from his den is that it's going out of it's way to be stereotypically Chinese, sort of how a lot of Chinese restaurants are decked out in Japan, in which case there is a very specific clerical script font that's always cheesily used. I'll have a look at all of the backgrounds and get back to you, perhaps we can find the original fonts used if they weren't hand drawn.

Ok so for the item shop I'd suggest a semi-cursive gyosho font for the welcome sign on the counter and the medicine jar at the back, something like Ricoh's HGGyoshotai. Here are some free fonts, the third and sixth are gyosho although these fonts only have the basic 1,000 or so educational kanji, so only 漢 is available. It should give you an idea for what to look out for though.

Incidentally those boxes at the back of the shop in the original field look like they say *配 to my eyes, can't make out the first character but it's a delivery company.

Corneo's place has a bit of a mix of stuff, but I think most of it would look good with a reisho font, the 5th font on the same page above is reisho. Then again if you want to stick as close to possible to the original design then perhaps only the golden lettering above the doors in the main hall should be reisho, the rest uses a gyosho font again, except for the gong outside which uses seal script (second to last font in the same list).
« Last Edit: 2015-02-11 12:05:45 by luksy »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: 2015-02-11 13:33:53 »
Wow, that's a lot of useful information! Thanks  :)

You've given a good example, I see what the differences can be. I would guess a Westerner equivalent would be modified letters such as è, é, ç, þ, ţ, ž you can find in various European languages.
Thanks for the fonts, they're going to be useful. I'll see about re-texturing these elements of the item shop then.

If possible, I would very much like to have your help for "Quality Control" purposes - I have to rely on knowledgeable people if I want to keep Japanese writings in my scenes and have them make sense.
By the way, if you could double-check what I had already considered "final", that'd be much appreciated: in the indoor scenes of Aerith's house (a couple of pages earlier), I have textured many books and folders where I tried to write a title, I'd like to make sure it's consistent (and that I didn't write gibberish). I have also a number of scenes "in progress" where I'd like your review before I launch the final renders.