Author Topic: change size limit of a character in the font  (Read 6457 times)

Agahnim

• fourgive mii four baud iinglisch :D
    • View Profile
    • Rom Dom Greece
change size limit of a character in the font
« on: 2013-04-27 20:08:44 »
im not a kind of person who open a new topic for unimortant things but i really want to know a way to change the size limit of a font character. you know, height and width. And position

any help accepted

Aavock

• View Profile
Re: change size limit of a character in the font
« Reply #1 on: 2013-04-27 22:36:52 »
Hello again Agahnim, the weight size of each character is in the windows.bin file, you'll need to decompile it (there's 3 files in it): the first two are graphics and the third one contains the bytes that you need to hexedit. Recently, I've noticed that you can manipulate them hex editing the font table in the ff7.exe but I didn't find the adresses yet.

Agahnim

• View Profile
    • Rom Dom Greece
« Reply #2 on: 2013-04-28 14:54:54 »
goodmorning 5way.

im not a programmer (yet) and i currently dont know how to decompile it. do you have any program about that?

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-04-28 16:53:02 »
You can decompile it using the bin extractor from lasyan3 here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=3287.0
There's also valuable information about the *.tex and window.bin files in this thread: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=4417.0

Please let me know if you find the adresses in the ff7.exe for the weight size of each character.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-04-28 17:03:01 »
This information is probably in the documentation I made for menu overhaul (which you can get by installing the documentation from the installer).  Luckily for you I remember the address without looking. 0099DDAF.  Around there in memory. I don't have the time to really help you with it, but it is really straight forward stuff.  The hard part is making the new font work properly with the new values and look good on screen.  It takes hours if you want a job well done, like I did.

It should not have been hard for you to find that address above because all you would need to do is search for the values from the window.bin file.  Simple.  Also, the memory address for the character spacings are dynamic.  You will HAVE to alter window.bin at the end.
« Last Edit: 2013-04-28 17:06:17 by DLPB »

Agahnim

• View Profile
    • Rom Dom Greece
« Reply #5 on: 2013-04-28 22:43:50 »
@5way: this program doesnt work
@DLPB: really sorry for the noobism. but i dont get. i open window.bin with a hex editor but the values finish at 33D0 (very logicaly. the file is only 13kb)

maybe you mean assembly and not hex editor?
« Last Edit: 2013-04-29 01:21:27 by Agahnim »

Agahnim

• View Profile
    • Rom Dom Greece
« Reply #6 on: 2013-04-29 19:29:05 »
so..after some hours of searching in the forum:

1) i succeed to 'ungzip' the window.bin
2) answer to my question myself about the address. i must alter the memory of window.bin2. NOT with a hex editor i think.. but which program?

maybe cheat engine? but i dont know how to use it... and.. i dont want temporary results but stable

really sorry for unimportant questions... maybe someone with free time can help me

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-04-29 22:42:28 »
if you want to alter the layout of the font you may be able to do it with a program called hack7 by lasyan
http://lasyan3.free.fr/progs/ff7/Hack7v3b.zip
its for the PSX version of the game but the Window.bin manager works on the PC version as well as the PSX version. And it will allow you to alter the width between different letters and various other things in window.bin

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-04-29 23:06:48 »
Thanks kranmer, it makes everything easier for the window.bin file, problem is I can't edit each character individually (narrow and wide font and pixel per pixel spacing) I guess it's possible to do it hex editing the ff7.exe but I can't find the correct adress... Can you please send the first 10 default decimals so I can find it ? Thanks a lot!

Agahnim

• View Profile
    • Rom Dom Greece
« Reply #9 on: 2013-05-01 02:55:05 »
thanks for that krammer! now i can edit the width of chars.

now i can make a greek font. i will return if i have more questions