Author Topic: Midgar Revival  (Read 37902 times)

WolfMan

• One whos possessed by nothing possesses evrything
    • View Profile
Re: Midgar Revival
« Reply #25 on: 2014-08-07 20:57:07 »
Like this?

That is insane. That person or people have to seriously be single without kids and theyre parents are rich so they don't have to work. oh my god

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2014-08-08 00:41:55 »
Is this the one that will be used for the intro movie? Has anyone thought about rendering out new FMV's just in blocked in "lego" mode?
Yes, the plan would be to combine Sapphire and SpooX's work to recreate the intro movie, ultimately. I'm not sure a lego mode FMV would do any good (the point is to supersede the original movies, which a lego mode FMV wouldn't really accomplish).
Like this?
I'm not sure whether I should be impressed, or slightly creeped out.
Sorry guys, I have fallen ill again, I will not be updating this thread  anytime  soon.
Get well  :)
If you could keep us posted on how you're doing and when you think you can get back to business, that would be much appreciated.

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2014-08-08 20:20:39 »
oh yes, we can do Lego mode...

but to fit a camera in there would be the challenge...
 8-)

Killerx20

• Shin-Ra Electric Power Company
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #28 on: 2014-08-08 21:41:21 »
Like this?
Hah, funny this came up... Have a look at my photobucket http://s36.photobucket.com/user/Killerx20/library/Minecraft%20Midgar
It was a project me and a friend made, I imported my models and rebuilt them from the ground up. This project has a lot more now since that article.

Also, this is what I just did today.. Experimenting with the lights.. Sadly I don't really have much time to do this stuff anymore..
« Last Edit: 2014-08-08 22:23:00 by Killerx20 »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #29 on: 2014-08-09 00:50:53 »
You are dope Sir!

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2014-09-19 18:00:59 »
That render looks almost complete? :)

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2015-02-28 09:18:27 »
Just been messing around with particles etc... Planning to do a Day-Night cycle render just to show off my model a bit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5crXnmEQHno&feature=youtu.be

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2015-02-28 23:18:10 »
Hey Sapphire,

I was thinking that it would be great if you could check things out with Tom regarding his attempt to recreate the eleout scene. Namely, I believe it would be most useful if you could make a panoramic, equirectangular render of Midgar by night from  the location featured in that scene - then he would be able to use the image as background and lighting source, with potentially awesome results :)

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2015-03-01 03:59:31 »
I tried to get in contact with Tom via personal messages but with no luck.

« Last Edit: 2015-03-01 09:29:33 by Sapphire »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2015-03-01 17:18:08 »
Well, he'll probably show up eventually. I was pretty much seeing how your work on the Midgar model could help in various fields.
There were also talks about trying to merge your model with SpooX's, has anything happened on that front? Maybe you should contact him about it (note that he's still discreet and stealthy :P  )

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2015-03-01 22:40:47 »
We merged some of it together..... But that was my very very VERY old model. I also haven't seen SpooX for some months now, a lot of months. Occasionally I  see him pop up on Skype but he doesn't hang around for very long at all.

In all honesty, I just want to dump my Midgar model to some like SpooX to use my assets and work on cutscenes or something so I can start on the backgrounds. I also still have no idea how to access the backgrounds for 3ds, I have a very old walkmesh dump from SpooX but the camera isn't in there so I can't work to any form of accuracy.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2015-03-02 15:13:32 »
If you wish to work on backgrounds, you can use SpooX's Shinratool to retrieve the walkmesh and the camera data, if you have the PSX discs. If you don't have the discs, I see two options:
- You PM SpooX about getting whichever field walkmesh and camera you'd like to work on
- I could use Shinratool and generate the corresponding 3ds scripts, which I could send to you. Then you would run the script in 3ds to generate the walkmesh and camera data (I don't have 3ds, myself).
Let me know how you'd like to work this out  ;)

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2015-03-02 22:25:29 »
I have the original PSX disc but they are burnt copies heh :(.

Let me do some sloothing to see which one I can approach!

I would like to do.....

blin1        Shinra building                Floor 1
blin2        Shinra building                Floor 2
blin2_i     Shinra building               Floor 2 shop
blin3_1    Shinra building                Floor 3   
« Last Edit: 2015-03-02 22:39:18 by Sapphire »

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2015-03-15 11:43:43 »
Just a small update.... Fixed a whole lot of scaling issues etc...

http://i.imgur.com/2so0vMY.jpg

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #39 on: 2015-03-15 14:41:33 »
Ohhhh! Nice!

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2015-03-15 16:09:04 »
Huh..
Now I wonder what can be found in these (never accessed in game) towers..

Seeing Midgar like that is impressive

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2015-03-20 01:03:40 »

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2015-03-20 01:58:16 »
Looking good, I wonder who will complete their model first. I imagine the challenging part is creating the stuff on the plates. Keep it up  :mrgreen:

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2015-03-20 02:22:03 »
Thanks for the update :)

That looks very good. I like the details you have on the platforms and their girder arms :)
Let me know if you need a hand with materials. Looks like you'll need a humongous tileable concrete texture, which will have to be spiced with a couple of procedurals for good measure  8)
By the way, did the scripts I sent you for the walkmesh and camera work for you?

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2015-03-20 02:51:40 »
I always need help with materials, I just don't care enough about them to warrant doing anything about it heh.... I usually just render any scene I make in grey or white with ambient occlusion.
They sure did! Nothing to show yet though!

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2015-03-20 16:06:03 »
I'll do what I can to help you out with materials then. However, note that I actually do not know how they're created in 3ds (I only use blender), so if you could give me some heads-up about the workflow involved, that would be good.
SpooX and I agreed that materials are a big deal, it's the thing that will "level-up" your scene considerably. Generally I spend 3/4 of my modelling time on materials, while I actually prefer modelling the mesh, but that's what it takes. Thankfully, for your Midgar scenes, I believe you'll have relatively few materials to create, but I recommend you spend a great deal of time and care on the main ones, such as the basic construction material of the plate and the high buildings. In that respect, I suggest you try to document yourself (I can help out there, too) and see any reference image of Midgar by day light (I think most of these references may be in Advent Children, actually) to figure what kind of construction material you would have to replicate (steel? concrete? other?) and we can work from there. The particular challenge for your scene will be to create one material with very high resolution, lots of details, and little repetition due to tiling.
By the way, ambient occlusion bakes may be very useful in the creation of your materials. Do you know how to get them in 3ds?

Regarding the scripts, I'm glad they worked. Take your time about these scenes, you sure picked some very challenging ones. By the way, I believe that SpooX already create a number of elements which your scene could use, such as the SA-37 truck. We should try to make an incantation in order to attempt summoning his ghostly spirit :P
Oh, and if you would like the scripts for other scenes (maybe a couple of simpler ones which would take less time to recreate), don't hesitate to ask!
« Last Edit: 2015-03-20 16:07:39 by Mayo Master »

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2015-03-20 22:41:07 »
Midgar is mainly steel I beleive, concrete for the plates.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2015-03-20 23:17:47 »
Yeah, that sounds about right. I've checked a few references (Advent Children shots, etc.), and indeed it looks like concerte for the bulk parts of the plate, with many structures are made of galvanized steel (like the reactors, the huge pipes, etc.). My guess is, by looking at this reference image, the more "orange grey" structures correspond to concerte whereas the more "blue grey" structures correspond to galvanized steel. I'll do some scouting on cgtextures.com (which I also recommend you do) and be back with suggestions.

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2015-03-21 03:33:36 »
Testing materials..... :)

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2015-03-22 07:48:17 »
After a lot of time playing around with materials......... :mrgreen:

A little more dusk....
« Last Edit: 2015-03-22 09:08:54 by Sapphire »