Author Topic: [PC98] Installer Remake - Tom's Installer [Works on Windows 10!] (1.5.0)  (Read 110410 times)

Mitroman

• View Profile
ok so i should try installing to default folder like on my portable hard drive then or do you mean local disk C and that would solve the problem, i recently just yesterday changed to windows 10 from windows 8.1 and im not sure if it was the best decision to make because playing games i.e mainly playing final fantasy is what i use the computer for, thanks for your reply been working on this for a while.

Tom

• View Profile
I don't think that error is part of my installer?
Yes, install to default folder means don't change anything when it asks you for folder.  Not even disk or anything.
« Last Edit: 2016-02-21 16:05:41 by Tom »

Mitroman

• View Profile
Do you mean when applying the converter or are you referring to the mods, thank you.

Mitroman

• View Profile
hello Tom, i just wanted to inquire with you, i have the game in my steam library folder and when i try to direct the installer to where the game is it says its not there and when i try to go further i get an error, now do i apply the converter first or do i have the game completely uninstalled for this to work?

Tom

• View Profile
This is to install the game from a CD, this does not have anything to do with Steam.

Mitroman

• View Profile
I know i figured that out sorry for wasting your time, i'm going to have to wait until i get my PC sorted so i can have the space to convert the game.  i got confused because i originally did it on my hard drive without enough space to finish the procedure, then tried to do it on my portable hard drive to which the operating system was needed, took me a bit to figured out but i got there in the end.

Sicdrummer87

• View Profile
This is my first time posting here and i was reading through this forum
First my specs
I'm running just a simple Dell laptop
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz
Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 128.0 MB
8Gb Ram
of course Windows 10 64-bit

So after installing with your installer everything seems great until i try an run the game i get a black screen then it crashes with no erro msg or anything.. i need help please

Tom

• View Profile
Run FF7Config.exe *before* you run FF7.exe and make sure you set a sound driver and make sure ALL settings are set, don't leave any selection boxes empty!
Also, don't install *any* mods before you get the original game working.

Tom

• View Profile
Turns out the Installer Coordinator system is kinda buggy and bloated, it will be removed in next version and switched to the old version with background exit check.

knightshade

• View Profile
link for the newest version doesn't work anymore in mediafire all it does is reload the page

Tom

• View Profile
I just tested the link, it works!

dataalias

• View Profile
Hi There,

I'm running into the same issue that Sicdrummer87 encountered. I have installed FVII from the original PC disks using Tom's 1.4.2 Installer. When I run FFVII.exe the screen turns black briefly and then the game crashes. I ran the config tool and ensured that the sound and midi values were set as mentioned in a previous post. Any other suggestions for getting this to work correctly?

I'm on Windows 10 with an AMD graphics card.

Thanks much!

dataalias

• View Profile
Interesting. When using the original version for ff7_100.exe 6/18/1998 I'm able to get to the New Game / continue? screen. After choosing "new game" the screen goes black and remains that way.

Tom

• View Profile
Can't really reproduce the issue, it works for me?  Maybe your graphics card is not supported, try selecting Software Rendering mode.

dataalias

• View Profile
Hi Tom, Thanks for the response. Currently, Software Rendering is selected. I didn't have an option to select my specific graphics card. I'll keep trying to dream up other avenues to try. If you have any other suggestions I'd appreciate it. Regardless, thanks for creating the installer it gives me hope to be able to play FFVII again!

Tsuna

• Global moderator
  • Working together to create awesome things!
    • View Profile
    • The home of Tsunamods
Is it normal that i didnt need any of this for windows 10? I installed as normal from the original disks

Tom

• View Profile
Hi Tom, Thanks for the response. Currently, Software Rendering is selected. I didn't have an option to select my specific graphics card. I'll keep trying to dream up other avenues to try. If you have any other suggestions I'd appreciate it. Regardless, thanks for creating the installer it gives me hope to be able to play FFVII again!
Make sure you select Install 1.02 and Install Chocobo Patch on the screen with Cloud on it.  Components Selection Screen.  Not installing 1.02 patch can lead to graphics drivers not being recognized.  If it does *not* work you might have to wait for my FF7Config Remake to be released: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16126.0

dataalias

• View Profile
I did just reinstall and ensured to patch as you mentioned in the post. I'm still encountering the same issue of the game crashing immediately. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll be on the look out for the new configuration tool.

Tom

• View Profile
Try selecting the riva or tnt option in the config window graphics options and direct3d mode.  Make sure you have an audio driver selected AND a MIDI device.

dataalias

• View Profile
The sound and MIDI tests work perfectly. I went through all the graphics card configurations. (Note: I do have an AMD Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 5800) I'm going to update my drivers etc and see if I get anywhere.

Tom

• View Profile
That is right, you heard it there is an update! 1.5.0 after about a year with no updates!
With quite a massive changelog:

Version 1.5.0 - Installer Coordinator II after about a year with no updates! (Last Edit: 2015-12-14 19:03:10)
+Installer Coordinator II
+CONFIG.INI configuration file lets you change the default options on your installer and create custom setup scripts that automatically install the game (Good for network installations?)
+Install Movies to hard drive option, called Maximum install! (Not selected by default)
+Variable Editor, lets you edit the variables of the program and create your own config.ini files
+If you select the wrong drive on a disc selection menu you can retry instead of being forced to quit
+A dialog before the final window asking you to restart or not was missing (forgotten perhaps?), it was added
*Graphical update, new graphical buttons and more exact text on the IC dialogs
*On the final window, clicking on the text next to the radio buttons changes the selection like in the original, previously you would have to click exactly on the radio button circle.
*Changes in internal code so less copy paste and more common shared modules
-Old style debug mode removed, its now a variable editor.

Anyone encountering issues should try re installing with the latest version of the installer!
You can uninstall the game by deleting the Square Soft folder in your 32 bit program files folder!

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
I will test it when I find my cable for my external drive. I have to reinstall FF7 anyway cause I installed the demos of the game to test a few things. So this time I give more feedback about non English versions. How for are you with the FF7config? I' really interested in this.

Tom

• View Profile
The ff7 config is being worked on, its a 2 part project, first we have to understand how the ff7config.exe works and then recreate the dialogs windows etc and add the functions to them.

jusete

• https://www.paypal.me/JRGV
    • View Profile
    • Donate here
Hi guys! I can´t run ff7 98 version after w10 last update. I tried to install the game with tom´s installer but still don´t work. Any ideas?

Edit: Solved changing the audio driver. xD
« Last Edit: 2016-08-29 18:53:50 by jusete »

Tom

• View Profile
Hi guys! I can´t run ff7 98 version after w10 last update. I tried to install the game with tom´s installer but still don´t work. Any ideas?

Edit: Solved changing the audio driver. xD

Realizing this is a major issue I added a big warning label on the OP that you must do this step.  Thanks for reporting.