Author Topic: 7H working great, then failing to launch game days later  (Read 4439 times)

MCfresca

• View Profile
hey, thanks again for all the work and help on this! hopefully i am putting this question in the right place.

so, my original message from the FAQ board, tweaked a bit for formatting and length.

after 2-3 days of problem-free modded ff7, 7th heaven no longer launches the game! i can launch 7th heaven, de/activate mods, etc, normal as before. when i click to launch the game, i get the normal few seconds of loading, black screen appearing to display the game full screen, the familiar beep that i always heard just before showing the square-enix title card, then it snaps right back from black screen to the file explorer window i was just on previously. nothing further appears to be loading at that point, and it all lasts about 3 seconds.

i can still launch and play the normal game through steam.

within 7th heaven, i deactivated one mod at a time and attempted to launch the game after each, with no success.

i didn't see any previous post that hit this, so i'm sorry if this is a repeat issue that has been solved and i missed the solution somewhere!

also, don't know if this is a red herring or not, but i did encounter one other issue while playing that prompted a hard restart of my laptop just before this more serious issue started happening. i was going through the mythril cave (just after chocobo-ing through the marshy area), finished chatting up the turks, and then went through the exit to the world map when the transition screen went black and stayed that way. curiously, the world map music was playing but nothing else was responsive. i could not even ctrl+alt+del out of it.

however, i was able to load up again and play right after this (i never went through that exit again, just did everything up to that piont and went back out the entrance and saved on the world map there so avoid possible hassle if the crash happened again), so i'm not sure if this is relevant.

thanks again for this mod! hope to be able to play it again soon 8)

MCfresca

• View Profile
Re: 7H working great, then failing to launch game days later
« Reply #1 on: 2015-12-24 05:43:21 »
well, i un/reinstalled ff7 and the game launches again! only now i have a different issue haha. character battle textures are not loading. i am going to keep tweaking things and see if anything comes of it.

anyway, just wanted to update so that no folks were getting too invested in solving my "problem" that has already evolved!

MCfresca

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-12-24 06:28:09 »
alright, some notes about my current situation. hopefully something can make sense of what is going on!

1. battle models - characters is NOT working. field and world characters models ARE working, as is the CHaOS mod. inclusion and exclusion of other mods and changes in openGL settings have not had any effect.

2. texture mods in world and battle are NOT working. as above, no settings changes have had an effect.

3. music mods are NOT working, but soundfx mods ARE working. [*i noted that the audio tab in the openGL config is NOT saving my selection of VGMStream after selecting OK, but the other tabs are saving my selections just fine.]

4. menu overhaul mod is SORTA working. the items menus are fine but rather slow. the battle set-up is halfway working. the commands menu is fine, but the names, hp/mp, and gauges are glitchy looking, where the gauges are mostly unreadable. the font seems a bit off compared to the sample photos as well. relatedly, the menu - backgrounds and avatars mod is NOT working.

5. cannot tell whether or not video, animations, battles mods - weapons, or difficulty mods are still working based on my limited playing since the reinstall.

before the crash + reinstall i described earlier, #s 1-3 were NOT issues. #4 has been an issue both before and after the reinstall.

at the moment, the best option i can think of is to just start from scratch because this seems like a mess! thanks in advance for any time and info you can share.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2015-12-24 08:04:25 »
Can you wait another day for possible solutions? I am working hard the next 24hrs to try and release Catalog 2.0 for Christmas. Please hold on and be patient with me :)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-12-24 11:33:12 »
In my experience outside of 7H, when the game failed to launch, it's been due to my registry getting corrupted

MCfresca

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-12-25 04:22:25 »
Can you wait another day for possible solutions? I am working hard the next 24hrs to try and release Catalog 2.0 for Christmas. Please hold on and be patient with me :)

oh gosh, yes that's fine haha. thanks for any help you can share whenever you get to it. best of luck on the new release!
« Last Edit: 2015-12-25 04:28:22 by MCfresca »