Author Topic: Unable to locate MIDI device  (Read 11272 times)

Jepperkake

Unable to locate MIDI device
« on: 2007-04-29 20:49:04 »
I'm waiting for some old hick to come up to me and say "See here's your problem..", but it's just not happening, so I'll ask here. Now, after I moved in to my new pad, using an old screen that was already here "flat pro" technology from what I believe to be the pre-christ era with intigrated speakers. Now, plugging everything all the way up, I still get sounds from IRC PM's, MSN, gtalk and such - but whenever I try running the FF7.exe or the config file I get the message;

Error
Unable to locate MIDI device. Final Fantasy VII requires a Windows95-compliant MIDI device.

And, here's the kicker, whenever I double-click the volume quick launch thingy I get the error message;

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!!!!! (five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind!)
Program: C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NvMixer\nvmixer.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

- To me, that's as defuse as most of Windows XP's error messages, but do any of you have the same problem or know what to do?

With love.

\\edit: Jebus, didn't mean to post my first post in the wrong sub-forum. I'm horribly sorry, terorably, even, sorry to a gigantous extent!
« Last Edit: 2007-04-29 20:54:35 by Jepperkake »

Jari

Re: Unable to locate MIDI device
« Reply #1 on: 2007-04-29 20:54:46 »
Well, for starters I'm going to move this to the correct forum (Tweaking, that is).

As for the problem itself... you might have to post some specs about the system before anyone can help you.

Jepperkake

« Reply #2 on: 2007-04-29 20:58:05 »
Well, for starters I'm going to move this to the correct forum (Tweaking, that is).

As for the problem itself... you might have to post some specs about the system before anyone can help you.

Much obliged.
As for specs;

AMD Athlon 64 dual core 3800+ 2GHz, 1 gig ram, Physical Address Extension. NForce set, can't remember which one, but I'll look into that if anyone thinks it's relevant.

Jari

« Reply #3 on: 2007-04-29 21:17:08 »
Hmm, while I can't probably help in any case - I don't even have FF7 installed, I'm getting this feeling that we are going need even more info. Unless someone has experience the exact same problem, that is...

Could you run the "dxdiag" command (just use the Run-thingie in start menu... I think - I don't have even start menu, I run alternative shell - type dxdiag into the text box and hit enter), then click the "save all information" button on it and copy and paste some parts of the report here?

Don't paste the whole report, it's probably so long that the forum won't even let you post it, but I believe that the "System Information", "DxDiag Notes", "Sound Devices" and "DirectMusic"-sections might be helpful. :)

Jepperkake

« Reply #4 on: 2007-04-29 21:23:51 »

[...]Could you run the "dxdiag" command[...], then click the "save all information" button on it and copy and paste some parts of the report here?[...]

------------------
System Information
------------------
[...]
   Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp.050928-1517)
[...]
System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
       System Model: AWRDACPI
               BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+,  MMX,  3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
             Memory: 1022MB RAM
          Page File: 328MB used, 2131MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes (everything here was A-OK 'cept;)
------------
[...]
        Sound Tab 1: DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x88780078 (No driver)
[...]
-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
            Description: NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio
 Default Sound Playback: Yes
 Default Voice Playback: No
            Hardware ID: NFORCE_VAD
        Manufacturer ID:
             Product ID:
                   Type: WDM
            Driver Name: nvapu.sys
         Driver Version: 6.14.0462.0000 (English)
      Driver Attributes: Final Retail
            WHQL Logo'd: Yes
          Date and Size: 4/13/2005 12:34:02, 414464 bytes
            Other Files:
        Driver Provider: NVIDIA Corporation
         HW Accel Level: Full
              Cap Flags: 0xF5F
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 200, 100000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 52, 50
 Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 48, 48
              HW Memory: 0
       Voice Management: No
 EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
   I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
               Registry: OK
      Sound Test Result: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x88780078 (No driver)
-----------
DirectMusic
-----------
        DLS Path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\GM.DLS
     DLS Version: 1.00.0016.0002
    Acceleration: n/a
           Ports: Microsoft Synthesizer, Software (Not Kernel Mode), Output, DLS, Internal, Default Port
                  NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio, Software (Kernel Mode), Output, DLS, Internal
        Registry: OK
     Test Result: Not run

- TL;DR is effective immediately, however, if you or anyone else 'can' help I'd be very grateful. Thanks for all your help thus far too.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #5 on: 2007-04-29 21:30:22 »
Do you have any choices for "MIDI Driver" on the MIDI tab in FF7Config?

[Edit]
The volume control error looks like it's from some NVIDIA sound mixer trying to open?
If you go to Start -> Run "sndvol32" does that do anything different?
« Last Edit: 2007-04-29 21:32:13 by Aaron »

Jari

« Reply #6 on: 2007-04-29 21:34:53 »
I was going to post that it seems like something has gone wrong with the driver install, but Aaron can probably take better care of you, I think that he even has the darned game installed. :-D

BTW, Googling for "DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x88780078 (No driver)" gives quite a few hits, so you are not the only person to experience this thing.

Jepperkake

« Reply #7 on: 2007-04-29 21:52:13 »
Do you have any choices for "MIDI Driver" on the MIDI tab in FF7Config?

[Edit]
The volume control error looks like it's from some NVIDIA sound mixer trying to open?
If you go to Start -> Run "sndvol32" does that do anything different?

Can't find the sndvol32 file my man, and the ff7config doesn't open, so I've no idea what the tabs choises are ;)

Thanks to both of ya'll, I'm a bit in and out as my girlfriend is over, but I'll try to 'put her to sleep' so that I can focus on what's really interesting, making ff7 run again!

Bugger O', a new problem is at hand. I remember reading something about this somewhere, when I boot the game I don't get the square logo, it's not a big deal thus far but if there's a quick and easy way of fixing it I'd sure like to know it. ff7betap1 didn't work. Another problem is, I've rebound my keys and set cancel/run to right shift, and my arrow keys are up/down/left/right, when I press and hold cancel (right shift) and start walking the character is still doing just that, walking. When I walk in one direction and press cancel, the character runs, however, as I change directions while running he starts walking again. This is a pain in my poopar.

I fixed the sound btw, turned out for some reason the built in speakers were f***ing something up, never trust combo-technology I always say.
 :mrgreen: Thanks fo' all ya'll help.

MOD EDIT: Double posting = bad.

Authors comment to edit : I double posted to win extra combo points. Didn't realize your forum didn't have those.
« Last Edit: 2007-04-30 12:13:19 by Jepperkake »

Kesendaran

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2018-01-01 16:42:44 »
Hey Japperkake!

I´m having a similar problem with the MIDI error. Could you tell me how you solved yours? Thanks!

I´m running the game on an Asus Transformer T100 with Windows 8.1, 2GB RAM.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2018-01-01 18:25:46 »
Perhaps you didn't notice that the last post in this thread was more than ten years ago. Perhaps you didn't notice that Jepperkake's posts say "Guest" next to them, because his account no longer exists.

Chances that he'll see your reply and be able to help are approximately zero. Your other troubleshooting thread that you made will suffice. Locked. ~Covarr