Off-topic forums > Completely Unrelated

Considering learning programming

(1/6) > >>

Abashi76:
I was looking up programming classes in my local college; just thought of it today.

I often complain that a combination of the New Threat and Hardcore mods would be perfect with some changes in the ways certain enemies are used. I can't even figure out to make a simple mod myself because i think i need programs that only work on 64-bit and i have a 32-bit. I would think basic programming should be able to help make my computer compatible with modding programs for all sorts of games originally from the 1990s.

I could make a lot of things if i only knew more about programming, especially the random problems that tend to only happen to me.

The classes are at least four hours long based on my research. There are a very limited amount of choices based on my search. They are mostly basic programming classes needed for all programming. I don't know where the specific stuff is taught.

Is there any chance there are still colleges that teach programming needed to mod old video games?

blippyp:
I've been basically programming my entire life, and have used dozens of different languages, I promise you that all you need to get started is to pick up a basic programming book for dummies in whatever language you desire to learn. For the most part, they are all the same, but there are some pretty serious exceptions to that rule. Once you've learned the basics of one language though you will notice just how similar all the languages really are. They all store memory in variables and use conditions and loops to code. How you design a program/game in one language is still relatively the same way in another language, just the syntax is different in how you type it out.

You'll be hard pressed to find a good course on how to design games though. That just comes with experience. There are some references and books out there to learn how, but for the most part you're kind of on your own. You either get how to do it or you don't. Once you've been programming long enough you will realize there isn't much difference between making a game and an application or a command line tool anyway tbh.

It sounds like you're just starting out - So if I were you, I'd just go get yourself a 4 Dummies book or start reading up on one of those tutorial sites on whatever language you want to learn. It takes time, but can be very rewarding.

Good luck, hope that helps you out.

KnifeTheSky77:
Learn Node for free on the internet, then electron + react for a UI if necessary -- it's all just JS. I wouldn't bother with other stuff tbh

Shard:
That's terrible advice given the question. The OP wants to learn programming so he can mod games. React and Node are primarily web-only and won't help him at all.
If you know nothing about programming, take an introductory class for c or java. Anything you learn in those will transfer to nearly everything else.
For modding, you'll have to have a much deeper understanding of file formats and/or assembly, which is not something you can just jump into.
For a good start, pick up a game that has an editor with a scripting language like rpg maker (you can find old versions of rpg maker for free) and just play around with it. If you like it, then I would suggest taking the higher level CS classes.

KnifeTheSky77:
No.

Node can directly execute c++ if necessary and can easily modify system files, while also being simple to learn.

Suggesting c++ to someone with no prior programming experience is bad advice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version