Author Topic: Modding PS-Network (PS3) Version  (Read 6775 times)

Karifean

• View Profile
Modding PS-Network (PS3) Version
« on: 2009-07-24 20:18:10 »
I'd like to know, is it possible to mod the PSN-version of FF7? Like copy the scene.bin and kernel.bin from your computer to your PS3 using a USB-Stick or something like that.

At first I thought it was impossible, but then I saw this Youtube-video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6gMru9Cjis

If I'm not completely mistaken, that strange menu at the very beginning of the video is a PSP/PS3 menu, isn't it??

Edit: Something also speaks for PS3 - the option "Controller Settings" in that menu. Since neither PC nor PSP have controllers, that can only be PS3, right? And no, neither PSX nor PS2 have that menu...

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Re: Modding PS-Network (PS3) Version
« Reply #1 on: 2009-07-24 20:27:05 »
The PSN version is compressed and digitally signed. Once you chnage as little as a bit, the cryptographic check fails and will no longer work on the PS3/PSP

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-07-24 20:27:41 »
See that battery thingy in the top-right corner?

It's the PSP version. Correction, it's the PSX version played on a PSP.

The PSN version is compressed and digitally signed. Once you chnage as little as a bit, the cryptographic check fails and will no longer work on the PS3/PSP

I take it that I shouldn't expect this to be cracked any time soon?
« Last Edit: 2009-07-24 20:39:27 by Kudistos Megistos »

Karifean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-07-24 20:44:11 »
You're probably right about the PSP, but it is obviously a modded battle...

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-07-24 20:45:36 »
Yes, but there was never any problem with modding the PSX version and playing it on the PSP, so long as files aren't made any bigger (actually, a few people have had issues with modded kernel.bin, but ARMS has apparently got it to work here).

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #5 on: 2009-07-24 20:57:22 »
hmm, i wonder how the heck do u mod a PSX version of the game onto a PSP...  :?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-07-24 21:03:06 »
I think it's just modifying the PSX ISO as usual and then going through the normal process of converting it for the PSP. I could be wrong since I've never tried anything like this.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-07-24 21:55:42 »
I think it's just modifying the PSX ISO as usual and then going through the normal process of converting it for the PSP. I could be wrong since I've never tried anything like this.

You're right. You can play any (or almost any) PSX game on the PSP as long as you have CFW and you convert your .ISO's to .EBOOT's. That and Popsloader and the right version of Popstation. It's all very easy when you know how, there are some amazing guides about how to do this online.

My favourite FF to play on the PSP is Final Fantasy IX, only because it wasn't released for PC. I could use ePSXe but I much prefer being able to play it handheld.

If you own a 16GB memory stick like me, you can have an awesome library of all your favourite PSX games (not to mention SNES, Sega Mega Drive, GBA and N64). In my opinion, having a PSP and not having any of these emulators or CFW to play all your old favourites is a CRIME!

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 2009-07-25 00:13:51 »
In my opinion, having a PSP and not having any of these emulators or CFW to play all your old favourites is a CRIME!

Actually, playing them is a crime.

I would appreciate keeping the emulation talk here to a minimum. I may be revaming the rules soon because of some extra scrutiny we have been getting lately.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-07-25 00:14:51 »
Extra scrutiny? From whom?

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 2009-07-25 00:15:46 »
From me :P

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-07-25 00:17:55 »
I see.

I wondered whether maybe we were attracting attention from Squeenix.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-25 00:50:06 by Kudistos Megistos »

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 2009-07-25 00:19:58 »
From me :P

===EDIT===
Let me elaborate... We are getting in some muddy waters with the modding going on as late... I don't want to see happen here what happened to the Chrono Compendium. They had their mods shut down for modding game via emulation, several translations were nixed, and they lost their tech wiki/forum.

I'm in the process of reevaluating some stuff here. I hopefully wont impact too much.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009-07-25 00:27:08 »
do what you need to do to keep qhimm around :D

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-07-25 04:05:09 »
[offtopic]
I think we have somewhat of a safety net compared to the modders of Chrono Trigger.  FFVII has become a "cash cow" and this community and its mods (I believe) have definitely had a say-so in keeping the FFVII fandom alive.  Allowing new people to experience the game the way a lot of us did when it first came out (amazing visuals and audio, hell even the translation is getting an overhaul...sort of) helps put money in Squeenix's pocket when they made Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus, etc.
However, I can see how us being able to upgrade damn near everything could hurt SE's bottom line IF they were to ever decide to do a remake.  But then which projects should be halted?  These forums were founded on the idea of modding Final Fantasy...
[/offtopic]
« Last Edit: 2009-07-25 04:07:33 by obesebear »