Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4838347 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.94)
« Reply #10625 on: 2021-01-25 17:12:50 »
Hey everyone, I'm playing through the newest version of new threat with no experience enabled, I just got out of midgar.  Are there any documents about what items are available to find / from quests.

I want to make sure I don't miss any important items because some bosses might be impossible to beat without accessories or armors that negate certain statuses and elements

I found out how to examine the scene.exe to see if I need to steal or morph certain enemies but beyond that I'm pretty lost.  Trying to be careful but I see people playing other versions using equipment I don't have and I'm wondering if I missed things or if they just aren't in this version.

Thanks so much! Also thanks to the creator I'm having a ton of fun replaying my favorite game

On the first page of this thread, you'll find a documentation download. This has an item list which has a location for all e.skills, etc. There's a quest chain of 1/35 soldier items that are missable, and one of them in the Midgar Raid is currently dropping a Vaccine instead of the item by mistake.

splendid,

Your summary in combination with the editing tool is exactly what I needed and then some.
I'll start by trying to figure out the editor basics and how to make Aerith party leader.

many thanks!

Generally speaking, if the field screen has an actor set for that character which has the line 'This character is playable and it is Aeris' in the Init script then when you enter that field with Aeris as party leader, it will by default give you control of that actor (doesn't necessarily need to be the same field model). You can also manually override this by setting the 'Control group' opcode if you need to do that for whatever reason.

If you enter a field and find yourself to be invisible, it means there was no actor set for your current party leader so that'd be the first thing to look to.

Regarding Vincent's Death Penalty weapon, does that still have damage that scales with kills? Or does it only have the "ignores defense" attribute now?

Also I just wanted to say - I just finished the game, and man... I've beaten this game countless times in the past, and this mod really made it feel like a fresh experience. Bravo, you did an absolutely fantastic job, I'm probably gonna find myself suggesting this to most people I know hahaha

Cheers; In 1.5 I think it uses ignore defence, in 2.0 it probably uses the Yoshiyuki formula where it's stronger if allies are currently KO'd.

Really loving the mod BTW.

NTM 2.0
I seem to have run into a bug with the blue cave bosses Quadrangea. Managed to kill them however one of them didn't die.
It's invisible, no AI, shows a target icon, I can heal it, which shows HP with sense but every attack against it (even heals with Aeris staff) plays the death sound.
Dropping the HP to 0 again does nothing and I can keep attacking.

Had to use Ochu to force end the fight, not sure if I was supposed to have got any drops from them.

Loaded my save before the fight. Started them again and same thing happened, only to a different one this time.

Yeah there's a weakness in the AI where that can happen, so I need to re-do the fight.

Finally getting around to playing 2.0 ; Got to Costa del Sol and having a blast so far ; I was wondering if anyone had compiled a list of the Limit Break changes?

I'm trying to plan a bit ahead of time for SP Upgrades, trying to come up with the builds I wanna use ; and knowing what hits physically, what hits magically and which added effects are on what... is something I wouldn't mind knowing in advance to potentially come up with fun builds.

Thanks for the mod, SegaChief, you da man.

I'll write up a list and add it to the documentation:

Code: [Select]
//Cloud
Braver - Base: 52, Reduces enemy Defence + Magic Defence by 5% (stacks with other effects of this type)
Cross Slash - Base 48 w/ Paralysis

Blade Beam - Base: 55, Magic-based, Single then Split
Climhazzard - Base: 70, Reduces enemy Defence + Magic Defence by 10% (stacks with other effects of this type)

Meteorain - Base: 24 x 6, Magic-based, Random
Finishing Touch - Base: 70, Insta-KO, All

Omnislash - Base: 17 x 15, Auto-Crit

So Cloud has a couple of Magic-based Limit Breaks in his Lv.2 and Lv.3 to make use of. The defence reduction on Lv.1 and Lv.2 can be really useful in longer fights.

//Barret
Big Shot - Base: 58
Grenade Bomb - Base: 54, All

Mindblow - Base: 60, Magic-based, Inflicts Confu/Berskerk
Hammerblow - Base: 70, Insta-KO

Satellite Beam - Base: 70, Magic-based
Ungarmax - Base: 10 x 18, Random

Catastrophe - Base: 30 x 10, Magic-based

Took a bit of a risk with Barret in giving him a magic-based Lv.4 but for players who have built him that way it's a nice payoff at the end, and he has Ungarmax as a flashy physical alternative. Mindblow was bumped to Lv.2 with Grenade Bomb moving to Lv.1 so there's an early AOE Limit available for the player.

//Aeris
Healing Wind - 50% MaxHP heal for party
Seal Evil - Base: 16, Magic-based, Inflicts Silence/Stop

Breath of the Earth - 50% MaxHP heal for party, removes all detrimental ailments + debuffs
Fury Brand - Fills Limit gauges of allies

Planet Protector - Grants Regen + Wall for the party
Pulse of Life - Fully recovers party HP/MP, + revives 100% from KO

Great Gospel - Fully recovers party HP/MP, grants Peerless (invincibility)

Small tweaks; Breath of the Earth now recovers HP instead of just status ailments which was very underwhelming next to Healing Wind. Seal Evil does a bit of damage now which should be really useful early on, though the key thing there is still the Stop status. Invincibility was made the sole reserve of Great Gospel, and Planet Protector applies other buffs instead.

//Tifa
Beat Rush - Base: 20
Somersault - Base: 24
Waterkick - Base: 28
Meteodrive - Base: 32
Dolphin Blow - Base: 36
Meteor Strike - Base 40
Final Heaven - Base: 70

Nothing really changed here except for base power.

//Red XIII
Sled Fang - Base: 48, drains damage as HP
Lunatic High - Grants party Haste and Red's evasion stat is raised by 50% of its current value for each active party member including himself (so if he had 10% evasion, and 2 allies were up, he'd be at 20% evasion). This caps at 100% buff so only 1 other party member needs to be alive to get the full buff.

Blood Fang - Base: 70, drains damage as HP/MP
Stardust Ray - Base 10 x 10, Magic-based

Earth Rave - Base: 35 x 5, Random
Howling Moon - Grants Haste, Wall, Berserk, and raises current Attack stat by 50% (caps at 100% bonus).

Cosmo Memory - Base: 144, Magic-based, fills Limit gauges of allies

Red's Howling Moon was buffed a bit to make it a bit more useful, and it was moved to the 2nd slot so you can crack skulls a bit faster on Lv.3 with Earth Rave. Cosmo Memory is a bit OP, but it does help it compete against the Multi-hitting Limit Breaks, even synergises with it as it recharges them.

//Yuffie
Greased Lightning - Base: 52, inflicts Slow
Clear Tranquil - 25% MP restored for party, removes Poison, Silence, and Blind

Landscaper - Base: 62, Magic-based, inflicts Slow, All
Bloodfest - Base: 10 x 10, Random

Gauntlet - Base: 70, Magic-based, inflicts Slow, All
Doom of the Living - Base: 12 x 15

All Creation - Base: 180, revives KO'd allies, All

Clear Tranquil was made to be a bit more unique to Aeris' Healing Wind in that it restores MP instead with some statuses. Inflicting Slow is the common theme, and All Creation was set as having the highest base power of any magic-based attack in the game with the revive allies as a kind of extra support thing to help it against Cosmo Memory and the other multi-hit Lv.4s.

//Vincent
Berserk Dance - Base: 32
Beast Flare - Base: 70, Magic-based, Fire element

Gigadunk - Base: 40
Livewire - Base: 60, Magic-based, Bolt element

Splattercombo - Base: 16 x 5
Nightmare - Inflicts Sleep, Poison, Confu, Silence, Frog, Mini

Chaos Saber - Base: 40, Ignores defence, All
Satan Slam - Base: 100, Magic-based, Inflicts KO, ???? Element

I beefed up the Vincent transformation attacks a bit, and set it to alternate between the attacks rather than do them at random for a bit more consistency. Chaos is probably overpowered given the defence buffs that go with this form.

//Cid
Boost Jump - Base: 52
Dynamite - Base: 48, All

Hyper Jump - Base: 70, inflicts KO
Dragon - Base: 60, Magic-based, drains damage as HP/MP

Dragon Dive - Base: 27 x 6, Magic-based, Inflicts KO
Big Brawl - Base: 24 x 8

Highwind - Base: 12 x 18

I may need to uplift those Lv.1 Limits a bit so they match Barret a bit more.

//Cait Sith
I think there was some tweaks to the base power of some of the toybox outcomes like Toy Soldier but nothing drastic there.

GregEnlil

• View Profile
« Reply #10626 on: 2021-01-25 18:25:49 »
I'll write up a list and add it to the documentation:

Wonderful, many thanks. Lots of interesting choices in there, that makes me even more hyped about possible builds.

Danstorm1

• View Profile
« Reply #10627 on: 2021-01-25 21:03:11 »
Really enjoying this mod, I love its progression system, it makes the characters feel more distinguished and feels really balanced.

I've made it all the way to the Underwater Reactor without too much trouble, but I have gotten stuck at the Carry Armor. I can clear out the arms pretty easy, but after that it just does too much damage to quickly for my party to beat it. My setup for the fight is Physical Tank cloud, fast attack tifa, and magic Yuffie. I'm not clear on what I'm supposed to do, because it seems like if I do anything but attack, including limits, it counters with a strong attack. My party is around lvl 53. Any tips?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10628 on: 2021-01-26 00:18:00 »
Really enjoying this mod, I love its progression system, it makes the characters feel more distinguished and feels really balanced.

I've made it all the way to the Underwater Reactor without too much trouble, but I have gotten stuck at the Carry Armor. I can clear out the arms pretty easy, but after that it just does too much damage to quickly for my party to beat it. My setup for the fight is Physical Tank cloud, fast attack tifa, and magic Yuffie. I'm not clear on what I'm supposed to do, because it seems like if I do anything but attack, including limits, it counters with a strong attack. My party is around lvl 53. Any tips?

It's getting a tune soon because its counter-heavy setup is a bit of a pain to deal with and slows things down.

Way the torso works is, that the lower its HP becomes the more likely it is to counter-attack against damage with one of its counter-abilities (and to use Lapis Laser on its actual turn). So one thing you can do there is hold off on attacking if you need to recover your group as it'll deny counter-attacks until you do start attacking again.

Zeta Emission is the last counter to get used and it inflicts Dual-Drain (reverse-regen). Protecting your three party members from that status would make the last part of the fight less risky. Two of the counters are also bolt element so that should be worth trying to guard against.

Before attacking, I would go through the 3 following checks:
1) Everyone is at good HP
2) MBarrier is active on everyone
3) At least one of your party has a turn ready to go in case of a Lapis coming out and you need to fix things up

For some extra insurance, you can go for a heavier counter setup yourself with Counter Attack, Magic Counter, and Command Counter. Then when you've dealt with the arms, you can lean heavier on counters proccing from Lapis Laser rather than attacking directly as your counters won't trigger his counters. Magic Counter with a Bolt3 or a Cure3 would be nice to have, or CMD Counter on Deathblow as the torso has no evasion and it should land frequently.

One last thing is to save powerful attacks for the last push on his HP; at 25%, he'll change to the Zeta counter and the rate will be 100%. That's when you'll want to make your attacks count the most to finish the fight up. If you use things like Summons or powerful attack items earlier, or if you use Limit Breaks before then, you might find yourself in that nastier part of the fight for longer which is riskier.

Danstorm1

• View Profile
« Reply #10629 on: 2021-01-26 03:25:45 »
It's getting a tune soon because its counter-heavy setup is a bit of a pain to deal with and slows things down.

Way the torso works is, that the lower its HP becomes the more likely it is to counter-attack against damage with one of its counter-abilities (and to use Lapis Laser on its actual turn). So one thing you can do there is hold off on attacking if you need to recover your group as it'll deny counter-attacks until you do start attacking again.

Zeta Emission is the last counter to get used and it inflicts Dual-Drain (reverse-regen). Protecting your three party members from that status would make the last part of the fight less risky. Two of the counters are also bolt element so that should be worth trying to guard against.

Before attacking, I would go through the 3 following checks:
1) Everyone is at good HP
2) MBarrier is active on everyone
3) At least one of your party has a turn ready to go in case of a Lapis coming out and you need to fix things up

For some extra insurance, you can go for a heavier counter setup yourself with Counter Attack, Magic Counter, and Command Counter. Then when you've dealt with the arms, you can lean heavier on counters proccing from Lapis Laser rather than attacking directly as your counters won't trigger his counters. Magic Counter with a Bolt3 or a Cure3 would be nice to have, or CMD Counter on Deathblow as the torso has no evasion and it should land frequently.

One last thing is to save powerful attacks for the last push on his HP; at 25%, he'll change to the Zeta counter and the rate will be 100%. That's when you'll want to make your attacks count the most to finish the fight up. If you use things like Summons or powerful attack items earlier, or if you use Limit Breaks before then, you might find yourself in that nastier part of the fight for longer which is riskier.

Wow, thanks for the response. Quick and very detailed. I was trying to figure out if the zeta was in response to limit breaks or not, but that makes sense. I appreciate that your very responsive to this thread, Thank you!

Navihank

• View Profile
« Reply #10630 on: 2021-01-26 22:24:44 »
I just started New threat and I was confused on the hard mode toggle. is it the little window at the end that shows the current difficulty setting?

AuthenticM

• View Profile
« Reply #10631 on: 2021-01-27 02:23:51 »
Hey Sega Chief,

I'm currently playing through the latest New Threat in Game Type A, and I'm having a blast. I am loving the smarter and more challenging enemy encounters, as well as the presence of innate abilities. Also love the cleaned-up script. Everything about New Threat is better than the original game, so kudos.

I am currently in the Underwater Reactor under Junon, right after the boss fight with the diarama robot. I'm pausing the game as I need to finish another, and I thought I would come here to leave you some feedback that I wrote down as I was playing before getting back to the game down the line.

Bugs
  • In the lifestream scene with Cloud's memories, the music stops playing when reaching the sequence with Tifa's dad and everything is white (after kid Tifa and Cloud fall off the bridge).
  • Still in the lifestream scene, when the reveal happens after Cloud takes off his officer helmet, the music ends before the scene finishes. It stops around the time where we see Sephiroth walk down the stairs, injured, right before Cloud runs after him and throws him into the mako. Normally, the music is still playing there, and it crescendos when Cloud overpowers Sephiroth.
  • The toggle to keep the field music playing during battles does not seem to work most of the time.

Feedback
  • Barret's Mindblow limit break
    Barret's Mindblow limit break seems game-breaking. I've used it on some bosses, which depleted their MP pool and almost neutered them (the two that I remember were the dragon in the Temple of the Ancients and Jenova Life). The bosses keep trying to cast magic and losing their turn.

Perhaps changing how the limit break functions could be a good idea? Off the top of my head, a suggestion would be to have Mindblow deal regular damage like Big Shot, but scales with magic instead of strength, while keeping the negative status effects that it procs. Maybe it could deal less damage than Big Shot? Just a thought.
  • Boss fight against Jenova Life
    In Game Type A, I think we shouldn't have zombie Aerith as an enemy. It's too fanfic-y, and also, more importantly, distracts from the heavy emotional moment that is supposed to weigh on the player while they are fighting the boss. I think it's perfectly fine for Game Type B, but not for A. I think A should (mostly) stick to story canon. Other changes such as having the scorpion tank fight the player multiple times over the playthrough are fine, and even better than it is in the vanilla game, as it enhances the gameplay without distracting from the story. But zombie Aerith crosses a line, in my opinion.

If her function in the battle needs to be preserved, maybe Jenova could have her abilities or attacks?

Kudos for removing the option to keep her alive from 1.5, with the phoenix down. This is also something that I felt should be kept for Type B.
  • After Aerith's burial
    The scene after Aerith's burial takes place in one of the huts, as it is in vanilla. However, the scene after that is back at the lake, where Cloud can talk to everyone. The chain of events goes: whole party buries Aerith -> Cloud and only two party members leave for the hut where Cloud makes his speech -> everyone is back at the lake where Aerith was buried.

I feel like there is a narrative disconnect between these two scenes. It doesn't make sense for Cloud to leave the lake and come back later, and to do so with only two pals. Either everyone should follow Cloud to the hut then come back to the lake, or everyone stays at the lake. The issue is that by having everyone at the lake after the speech, the logic is that Cloud left these people there to make his speech only to two people. That's weird, and Cloud would not do that.

IIRC, New Threat 1.5 had Cloud make his speech in the hut with the beds, and everyone was present. I think that that was perfect. One, there's no jumping away from and back to the lake. Two, the scene was better than it was in vanilla because of course that in that moment, Cloud would make his speech to everyone. That's how it should have been in vanilla, honestly; I'm not sure why the devs didn't opt for that.

My recommendation is to avoid the jumping around locations and to have everyone present when Cloud asks them to accompany him on his journey.
  • Scene with Cloud and Sephiroth in back of truck in the flashback
    There is a new narrative trick during this scene that wasn't in vanilla. When Sephiroth mentions Nibleheim, Cloud asks the Shinra officer sitting next to him: "hey, isn't that where you are from?" before a visual flash occurs and the scene resets. While smart, I think this bit is perhaps too obvious at communicating to the player that Cloud is being an unreliable narrator, and also hints at the identity of that Shinra officer. I think it'd be better if the scene was left as it was in vanilla. At least, for Game Type A. I wouldn't mind Type B doing this kind of stuff.
  • Fort Condor
    Having a notification for new Fort Condor battles, as well as having the teleport guy, is some really great QoL stuff. However. As I was playing the game and doing these battles, it became quite evident that they were more of a hassle than anything else. They are simply not fun to do; they are just tedious. And I know of the trick to finish battles early by rushing to the bottom of the map and killing everyone on the field. I just don't think that these battles bring anything worthy to a playthrough. More than that, I think that they are an annoying distraction. There are multiple instances where new battles occur back-to-back. There are two of them right before the Jenova Life boss fight, in the Forgotten Capital. They distract from the story and its immersion.

Now, I am aware that they are optional. The player does not have to engage with them to continue on. However, they are incentivized to do so for the rewards that they offer: great equipment, as well as the Phoenix summon materia (if it's like 1.5, I believe all the battles need to be won to get the materia as a reward for the last battle). I think the game would be much better if the player did not have to bother with Fort Condor battles or if they did not feel compelled to do them.

I have some suggestions on how to accomplish this:
    1. Remove the equipment rewards for the battles and/or replace them all with megalixirs, so that the player is less incentivized to participate.
    2. Remove the battles themselves; instead, have the teleport guy appear to the player whenever a new battle is triggered to ask the player for some money so that they can fight the battle themselves. It's 3,000 gils per battle. If the player gives the money to Fort Condor, the former-teleport-guy gives the battle reward to the player (the same existing ones) as a thank you. No more need to do the whole dance, but there is still interaction with the system. Good balance.
    3. Nuke the whole mini-game from orbit. Maybe only keep the last battle for the Phoenix materia when the player controls Cid in the back half of the game.

Option 2 is probably the more reasonable and interesting, though I would personally not shy away from option 3. :)

I think that's it for now. Other than that, as I said, I'm having a lot of fun. Everything about the gameplay is so much better. The only other two things that I can think of is that the boss of the Cosmo Canyon cave was a little too obtuse (I managed to beat him but without understanding his pattern) and also that the boss in the Shinra Manor in Nibleheim (safe monster) was a total pushover.

Oh, and I have a question for you. In 1.5, there was a subplot with new characters; IIRC, a female Soldier and some officers. The player would fight them multiple times over the course of the playthrough. In 2.0 Type A, they are nowhere to be found. Have they been moved to Type B? I was thinking of doing a Type B playthrough after I'm done with A, and I was hoping that I would find them there, as I really liked these characters and their associated battles from 1.5.

Thank you
« Last Edit: 2021-01-27 03:38:26 by AuthenticM »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10632 on: 2021-01-27 09:19:51 »
I just started New threat and I was confused on the hard mode toggle. is it the little window at the end that shows the current difficulty setting?

When starting a new game it asks what Game Type, then it asks whether to turn Hard Mode on or not. You can toggle hard mode on/off after that at a save point.

That's disappointing to hear about the lifestream reveal music; I suspect what might have happened is that the adjusted music track supplied in the IRO hasn't been loaded which can happen sometimes if there's another mod overriding it or maybe just because of other reasons (if the installer, then might be that the target folder for the music file has a different name or something). I made some tweaks to the field script to go with that track which has extra looping in it to make it 'fit' the length so if that track wasn't used then whatever was used instead would probably not make it to the end. Or there might be some other factor affecting things there.

The toggle flags are a bit busted at the moment; the music flag was using the wrong one for instance. I've got this sorted out in my 2.1 files but the patch isn't quite ready to go up yet.

Mindblow: I just checked and it has the MP Damage flag still ticked, where it should instead just be dealing magic damage to HP. I'll sort this out for the patch.

Jenova LIFE: I thought it was a good fit for the boss' theme, and it helps me integrate that decision into the gameplay a lot better than the old way which was a not-so-clear dialogue choice. Granted it's not 100% clear still but it is a lot more interesting. My first and foremost priority is the battle mechanics so that tends to take precedence.

From what I remember of the final Disc 1 scene, the location used in both cases was the Inn rather than the structure that vanilla uses. For some reason I decided to use the vanilla location if Aeris bit the dust, and to use the 1.5 version in the Inn if she didn't. I can't really remember why, but it is what it is.

And I don't want to lock this off to Type B; while it does make sense, it would just result in people getting to that point in Type A and then finding out that they can't do it which is one of the features billed by the mod so it'll be staying in both types.

Flashback: If you already know, then it's a giveaway (though it can't really be giveaway if you know about it). But if you don't know, then it's one of those things where it would only click if you were playing through the game a second time. I walked back some of the alterations to the flashback but I left that one in.

Fort Condor: You don't need to do any of the battles to get the Phoenix Materia, only the last battle which is mandated by the story (and you can clear this battle by fighting from the shed too); this is the same as vanilla. In 1.5, clearing all the Fort Condor battles yourself or through funding would nab the player a Masamune (this is no longer the case in 2.0, the drop was changed to a Ziedrich).

I had a look at the script a few times with a view to reducing the number of engagements as there's duplicate ones that give duplicate prizes, but it's a spaghetti junction and I ended up just leaving it to focus on other things. Maybe in the future.

The characters you mention are on Type B, but only appear once in front of the Shinra Mansion; their appearance later in the Whirlwind Maze and on the Highwind was axed.

AuthenticM

• View Profile
« Reply #10633 on: 2021-01-27 15:35:56 »
That's disappointing to hear about the lifestream reveal music; I suspect what might have happened is that the adjusted music track supplied in the IRO hasn't been loaded which can happen sometimes if there's another mod overriding it or maybe just because of other reasons (if the installer, then might be that the target folder for the music file has a different name or something). I made some tweaks to the field script to go with that track which has extra looping in it to make it 'fit' the length so if that track wasn't used then whatever was used instead would probably not make it to the end. Or there might be some other factor affecting things there.

The toggle flags are a bit busted at the moment; the music flag was using the wrong one for instance. I've got this sorted out in my 2.1 files but the patch isn't quite ready to go up yet.

You made me realize that I was running an audio mod. I was using the original soundtrack from Anxious Hearts, as PC FF7 uses those shitty midi formats.

I just did a test by deactivating the mod and booting the game. It seems like New Threat is also using the original PSX soundtrack, so kudos for that. I didn't know that NT supplied its own soundtrack. I really hate the OG midi PC soundtrack.

While I can't test the lifestream scene to see if my mod was the source of the two aforementioned bugs, I did check if the field music toggle worked now. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work.

Mindblow: I just checked and it has the MP Damage flag still ticked, where it should instead just be dealing magic damage to HP. I'll sort this out for the patch.

Perfect, thank you.

From what I remember of the final Disc 1 scene, the location used in both cases was the Inn rather than the structure that vanilla uses. For some reason I decided to use the vanilla location if Aeris bit the dust, and to use the 1.5 version in the Inn if she didn't. I can't really remember why, but it is what it is.

Ah, I see. Is this something that could be corrected in 2.1? Maybe making the scene play out the same whether Aerith dies or not, with just a couple of dialogue changes to reflect Aerith being dead or not? Having the scene occur in the hut with the beds is smart and the way to go, I'd say. If it's too much effort, it's not the end of the world. But if it's easy to implement, it'd be appreciated.

Fort Condor: You don't need to do any of the battles to get the Phoenix Materia, only the last battle which is mandated by the story (and you can clear this battle by fighting from the shed too); this is the same as vanilla. In 1.5, clearing all the Fort Condor battles yourself or through funding would nab the player a Masamune (this is no longer the case in 2.0, the drop was changed to a Ziedrich).

I had a look at the script a few times with a view to reducing the number of engagements as there's duplicate ones that give duplicate prizes, but it's a spaghetti junction and I ended up just leaving it to focus on other things. Maybe in the future.

Ah, I see. Good to know. Thank you.

Does completing a battle through funding also give the reward given by the lookout guy?

The characters you mention are on Type B, but only appear once in front of the Shinra Mansion; their appearance later in the Whirlwind Maze and on the Highwind was axed.

In Game Type B, does the Scorpion Tank still appear during the dragon fight in the temple of the ancients? I thought that was super cool in 1.5. I missed it in Type A. The dragon fight by itself is a little bland; it doesn't fit with the rest of New Threat's philosophy of having boss fights have their own little quirks or gimmicks, I feel.
« Last Edit: 2021-01-27 15:39:21 by AuthenticM »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10634 on: 2021-01-27 16:48:38 »
You made me realize that I was running an audio mod. I was using the original soundtrack from Anxious Hearts, as PC FF7 uses those shitty midi formats.

I just did a test by deactivating the mod and booting the game. It seems like New Threat is also using the original PSX soundtrack, so kudos for that. I didn't know that NT supplied its own soundtrack. I really hate the OG midi PC soundtrack.

While I can't test the lifestream scene to see if my mod was the source of the two aforementioned bugs, I did check if the field music toggle worked now. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work.

Perfect, thank you.

Ah, I see. Is this something that could be corrected in 2.1? Maybe making the scene play out the same whether Aerith dies or not, with just a couple of dialogue changes to reflect Aerith being dead or not? Having the scene occur in the hut with the beds is smart and the way to go, I'd say. If it's too much effort, it's not the end of the world. But if it's easy to implement, it'd be appreciated.

Ah, I see. Good to know. Thank you.

Does completing a battle through funding also give the reward given by the lookout guy?

In Game Type B, does the Scorpion Tank still appear during the dragon fight in the temple of the ancients? I thought that was super cool in 1.5. I missed it in Type A. The dragon fight by itself is a little bland; it doesn't fit with the rest of New Threat's philosophy of having boss fights have their own little quirks or gimmicks, I feel.

Completing through funding does count as a win; 3000gil for it, and they start with enough to cover most of the unreachable battles.

The 1.5 fight in temple is used in Type B, yeah.

AuthenticM

• View Profile
« Reply #10635 on: 2021-01-27 17:32:23 »
Oh, other question. Are the endgame sidequests (colored caves and the such) the same between Types A and B? Are the battles the same?

I'd also like to know how different the 2.0 Type A endgame quests are compared to 1.5. I only know that Dark Cave was cut. I'm interested in know how some of the fights were fight, if at all.

Completing through funding does count as a win; 3000gil for it, and they start with enough to cover most of the unreachable battles.

Right. But regarding the items that the lookout guy gives to the player after a successful battle, the ones that he found on the battlefield (the armors and the megalixirs), are these items given to the player if Fort Condor wins the battles by themselves using the money? Like, if the player talks to the lookout guy at the last battle, will he give the player all the battlefield items that they have missed? (provided money was given to him)

The 1.5 fight in temple is used in Type B, yeah.

Sweet, thanks.
« Last Edit: 2021-01-27 17:55:52 by AuthenticM »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10636 on: 2021-01-27 23:21:08 »
Oh, other question. Are the endgame sidequests (colored caves and the such) the same between Types A and B? Are the battles the same?

I'd also like to know how different the 2.0 Type A endgame quests are compared to 1.5. I only know that Dark Cave was cut. I'm interested in know how some of the fights were fight, if at all.

Right. But regarding the items that the lookout guy gives to the player after a successful battle, the ones that he found on the battlefield (the armors and the megalixirs), are these items given to the player if Fort Condor wins the battles by themselves using the money? Like, if the player talks to the lookout guy at the last battle, will he give the player all the battlefield items that they have missed? (provided money was given to him)

Sweet, thanks.

Optional sidequests added in for Disc 2/3 are the same between Types. As for 1.5 to 2.0 difference, there's less overall and some characters don't have one anymore like Cid. While that will be a step back for some, I feel it helps streamline things.

The items given for a battle aren't awarded if Fort Condor uses their funds to complete the battle instead.

Sur5val

• View Profile
« Reply #10637 on: 2021-01-28 07:52:01 »
Hey Sega Chief,

I might have encountered a bug in the Sacred Fire Cave, I don't know if this has been reported before. I was fighting the boss guarding the W-Attack materia and I managed to kill both the angel thingies at the same time using quadra magic mp turbo ultima, making them use both their Yomi Burial attack at the same turn. Yuffie got ejected by the whirlsand then Cloud and after that I still had Cid but the game crashed. So I guess this is a bug.

Other than that, Thank you for this beautifully done mod.

salmonn85

• View Profile
« Reply #10638 on: 2021-01-28 10:44:17 »
Any way of going back to places where you think you missed an item.
Example sister ray for the 1/35th soldier. Not sure if I missed it or not or Midgard raid

Nt2.0

Sorry if this has been answered before. Tried to use the search but couldn't find anything. Plus the words in the search needs to be 2 characters+ so it didn't like looking for 1 35 soldier

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10639 on: 2021-01-28 14:55:37 »
Hey Sega Chief,

I might have encountered a bug in the Sacred Fire Cave, I don't know if this has been reported before. I was fighting the boss guarding the W-Attack materia and I managed to kill both the angel thingies at the same time using quadra magic mp turbo ultima, making them use both their Yomi Burial attack at the same turn. Yuffie got ejected by the whirlsand then Cloud and after that I still had Cid but the game crashed. So I guess this is a bug.

Other than that, Thank you for this beautifully done mod.

I'll have a look at it; did you have any battle mods on like for graphics or 60fps anything like that?

Any way of going back to places where you think you missed an item.
Example sister ray for the 1/35th soldier. Not sure if I missed it or not or Midgard raid

Nt2.0

Sorry if this has been answered before. Tried to use the search but couldn't find anything. Plus the words in the search needs to be 2 characters+ so it didn't like looking for 1 35 soldier

There isn't, I'm afraid. If you want the Materia given by finding all 12 then using a save editor add a Underwater Materia to your inventory (this was changed into a new Materia, but the save editor will still read it as 'Underwater Materia).

Rikku

• View Profile
« Reply #10640 on: 2021-01-28 19:21:30 »
Hi, does the limit requirement change in the  v2.0?

I have the two level 1 limits but it´s been a long time and seems that the level 2 doesn´t appear.

The story changes are AMAZING, i am enjoying A LOT, it´s like playing FF7 for the first time :)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10641 on: 2021-01-28 20:42:40 »
Hi, does the limit requirement change in the  v2.0?

I have the two level 1 limits but it´s been a long time and seems that the level 2 doesn´t appear.

The story changes are AMAZING, i am enjoying A LOT, it´s like playing FF7 for the first time :)

They're roughly the same; maybe higher for Cloud but a lot lower for characters who join later. I think maybe some characters are killing less often than you might realise or less enemies overall are getting dealt with. If you want to speed it up, then I tend to use Mt. Corel's bridge area to fight groups of 5x Battery Caps and aoe them down with the character farming. There was a better way that most others use but I can't recall right now.

But just in case: The next limit level is unlocked by kills, the x-2 Limit is unlocked by using the x-1 Limit.

Navihank

• View Profile
« Reply #10642 on: 2021-01-28 23:17:20 »
I was playing around with the settings and forgot which way it was before thats why i was asking

AuthenticM

• View Profile
« Reply #10643 on: 2021-01-29 03:52:19 »
Alright, just beat Hojo and wandered the world a bit. I'm done for now until 2.1 comes out and I start a Type B game.

I have two last things to share:

-I got the golden chocobo from the Kalm guy by giving him the guidebook. However, Cloud says "our stable is full", and I can't take the chocobo on the Highwind. I checked on the Highwind, and there isn't a chocobo in it. The stable at the Chocobo Farm is also empty. I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I'm missing something.

-I beat the Diorama robot in the Shinra HQ. I'm not sure if this is something with my game and mod list, but the boss's final line before dying ("closed") only appeared on screen for half a second. I think it's supposed to stay for much longer; long enough for the player to have plenty of time to read it. Also, the line wasn't in all-caps; I feel like it would be funnier if it was. I dunno; I feel like a robot yelling "THE DIORAMA IS CLOSED!!!" is just super funny to me.

Cheers on the awesome mod, Chief. I'll be back.

Oh, while I'm here: do you have any estimation on FF8 New Threat's 1.0 release date? I'm very eager to play it.

salmonn85

• View Profile
« Reply #10644 on: 2021-01-29 08:28:07 »
-I got the golden chocobo from the Kalm guy by giving him the guidebook. However, Cloud says "our stable is full", and I can't take the chocobo on the Highwind. I checked on the Highwind, and there isn't a chocobo in it. The stable at the Chocobo Farm is also empty. I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I'm missing something.

You need to go to the chocobo farm and speak to the old guy in the house and pay them to look after chocobos. This makes it so you can accept the gold chocobo.

Navihank

• View Profile
« Reply #10645 on: 2021-01-29 16:25:29 »

Oh, while I'm here: do you have any estimation on FF8 New Threat's 1.0 release date? I'm very eager to play it.
What would FF8 new threat even do? you would need to rebuild the junction system from the ground up.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10646 on: 2021-01-29 22:32:46 »
Alright, just beat Hojo and wandered the world a bit. I'm done for now until 2.1 comes out and I start a Type B game.

I have two last things to share:

-I beat the Diorama robot in the Shinra HQ. I'm not sure if this is something with my game and mod list, but the boss's final line before dying ("closed") only appeared on screen for half a second. I think it's supposed to stay for much longer; long enough for the player to have plenty of time to read it. Also, the line wasn't in all-caps; I feel like it would be funnier if it was. I dunno; I feel like a robot yelling "THE DIORAMA IS CLOSED!!!" is just super funny to me.

Cheers on the awesome mod, Chief. I'll be back.

I would try buying all 6 stables; it might be related to that.

If you have battle text speed set to fast then it whizzes by fast as it's technically an attack name and not a text string. I think it used to be in all caps in 1.5.

FF8 NT hasn't got an estimate at the moment, I keep running into unexpected challenges with it.

Clayjoy

• View Profile
« Reply #10647 on: 2021-01-31 22:09:40 »
I've been playing mod for a week now and I love it.  I've actually convinced 3 of my buddies to play it too.  I ran into some bug though.  For some reason Cait Sith is named Cloud...

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10648 on: 2021-02-01 11:29:22 »
I've been playing mod for a week now and I love it.  I've actually convinced 3 of my buddies to play it too.  I ran into some bug though.  For some reason Cait Sith is named Cloud...

There was a rename thing on the Zack flashback and through the Silver Chocobo in the Glacier; unfortunately, what I didn't realise at the time was that this rename function also renames Cait Sith (due to him sharing his character slot with Young Cloud at the start of the game). Best way to fix it is to rename Cait Sith through a save editor; I would avoid doing it through the silver chocobo as renaming Cait or Vincent in this way will also reset their stats.

Kuro91

• View Profile
« Reply #10649 on: 2021-02-01 16:53:00 »
Hi there,

I registered in the forum to say that NT is an absolutely fantastic mod! I actually played 1.5 some time ago and never said thanks and congratulations for the amazing work that was put in creating this mod.

I've been playing 2.0 Remix lately and I decided to tackle the optional bosses, manly the new KOTR bosses, and then Emerald and Ruby.

I got past the KOTR bosses easily after finding a good strategy, but I've been stuck against Emerald for days because I can't find a good way to take it down. I DID won a few moments ago by spamming KOTR and Mime, but I feel like my victory is a bit..."empty"? I mean, I won but I feel like I cheese it a bit, so I wanted to try winning without resorting to KOTR spamming. The issue I'm having is that his eyes simply wreck me, and them having 12kHP doesn't help much either.

I wanted to ask if there is some trick to defend against the eyes. I know I can slow them, but I think it's still not enough.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Well, Ruby doesn't joke either. I think playing the Remix/Arranged mode was a challenge too hard for me.
« Last Edit: 2021-02-01 19:12:04 by Kuro91 »