Author Topic: [FF7PC/PSX] FFVII Lost Wing (1.1)  (Read 186685 times)

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: [REL/FF7] FFVII Lost Wing (PSX/PC)
« Reply #125 on: 2012-01-29 13:01:59 »
Maybe you have the spell patch, which will change the names, and so it may be the cause. That's if you use the PC version, of course. If it's so just overwrite the kernel2 with the one provided.

Bas

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2012-02-02 19:24:10 »
Some bugs, I hope they did not noted here in the topic already.

"Laser3" magic is placed in front of "Laser(1)" in menu.
Not sure about it, but I think that Laser3 did deal less damage (always or at least once, not sure about it) than Laser1/2 (against the sand worm, if that's important)

Phoenix Pinion can't be used in field, and in battle it cure the hit points but doesn't revoke the KO status.

I get a "glitch" message when casting Quake 2 (not sure about Q1/3) about the texture, but this is mostlikely not caused by the LW mod.

Chocobo racing - betting:
This might be also related to that I have the German version of the game, but I don't get the price for the winner which is listed. I get another items instead.

Sugg:
Dialog box pops up each time a new junon battle is aviable. New battles pop up at times you never imagine, I would have missed about the half at least if I won't read a faq about it.

Bas

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 2012-02-03 21:38:07 »
Sry for DP, but I want to make sure the dev reads what I write.

Other bugs:
- Warning message popping up when encountering bugenhagen (at least when you are first at cosmo canyon), it seems to be related to him because I got a warning in his observatorium and one when he was walking in front of me after choosing the party members for the cave of the gi. It was something about that a zero value was expected, it might be connected to the huge materias.

- Holy only work as level 1 magic with the all materia. (I have Holy2 meanwhile but only Holy1 seems to work with "all")
- Water doesn't seem to work at all with the all materia. (correction: I have water1 & water2, but it seems only water2 works with "all")
- White cape provides shell and protect, but this isn't noted in the description (mgiht be too long, I must admit). However, it did NOT protect against that break/stone/instant-petrifity attack from those gorgons around Gongaga.

I was either wrong about laser3 or it did not reproduce.

Laser2 can be used even if you are "frogged".

I got freeze WAY earlier than flare, I mean.....it is a difference of at least 20k AP!  I got freeze about 3-5k AP after I got Ice3. This should be fixed, I don't think it is balanced if you get ice3 for about 15-20k AP and the next one basically as a present for doing nothing.

Sugg:
- I do miss some old materias like mystify and seal.

///Water3 ALWAYS seem to hit the user.
« Last Edit: 2012-02-04 00:44:55 by Bas »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #128 on: 2012-02-04 03:07:21 »
Thanks for posting bugs.  The bugs you mention fit into several categories.

Some of these are in fact not bugs, but designed into the game.  Some spells like Holy2, and Water are designed to be only be single target attacks.  I think Laser3's damage is based on the user's Str instead of Mag, but I could be wrong.  Altered items like Pheonix Pinion can only be used in battle for the appropriate effect.  This is a problem in all FFVII mods.  Many things, like these random error messages and zero value expected do not occur when I am running the mod.  I don't know what to say about these types of issues.  And some issues like Freeze AP, and White Cape sound like oversights on my part, or legitimate bugs.  I will eventually take a look at these.  I think some of the issues you are experiencing are not because of the Lostwing mod, but thanks for letting me know.  I will be on the lookout for any reports of others experiencing major errors and strange messages, but I have not encountered these.

Phoenix Pinion is not reversing KO status?  Strange. Try using several of them in the same battle when two characters are dead and see what happens.  I remember it working for me.
« Last Edit: 2012-02-04 03:10:40 by xLostWingx »

Bas

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2012-02-04 16:39:04 »
Well, why should Holy1 be able to hit multiple targets but holy doesnt?

Lionsmane

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 2012-02-04 16:45:58 »
Im nowhere near as far along as bas is but Ill try to verify some of these things when I get there

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2012-02-04 16:58:23 »
Bas,
most of the bugs you encountered are due to the fact you're playing the PC version of this mod. These issues have nothing to do with the Lost Wings mod. It is due to either lazyness on my side or legitimate PC bugs.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2012-02-05 20:28:59 »
Well, why should Holy1 be able to hit multiple targets but holy doesnt?

Because Holy2 is more powerful than most other level 2 spells.  Allowing it to hit multiple targets would be like having a level 3 spell very early in the game.  Just like Water1.  Water is more powerful than the other level 1 spells, so you are only permitted to use it on single targets.  I had to add some diversity to the new spells so there were actually differences between using Ice2, Fire2, Bolt2, Water2, and Holy2.  If you are fighting a boss, then you will want to use a lot more Holy2 spells than Ice2 spells because it will cause more damage to a single enemy.  If you are fighting 4 Headhunters, then you might wipe them out with 2 Ice2s, but it would take 4 Holy2s.  Get it?

The real answer is that the Holy2 Animation crashes EpsxE when used on multiple targets.  The same is true for many different animations.  The best remedy to this was to make different spells more powerful than others.  Don't worry, Holy3, Holy Flash, and Holy Judgement all cause Holy Damage to multiple enemies; as would Holy=Elemental in your weapon, or a Holy Elemental Weapon and Slash-All.

Thanks for the info about the Ice materia and AP tho.  Also, I believe that "Laser2" took the place of the "Frog" spell.  AFAIK, this is written into the main programming of the game and cannot be fixed.  That is a nice exploit to know about my mod though.  Equip a Laser materia when going into the Battle Arena and you will have a unique advantage.
« Last Edit: 2012-02-05 20:35:51 by xLostWingx »

Bas

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2012-02-05 21:19:13 »
My opinion about the status items and missing materia:

WEll, on the one side it provides more tactical possibilities as you can access a lot of status changes early on. On the other side, you usually have only a restricted amount of items with you, so you can be short of those if you need them, actually revoking the tactical possibilities then.

Also, I want to note two things. Humans - or livinings in general - dislike if they get a privilege and loosing it later on, so the same for the materia - second, if the removal of the old materia doesn't has a technical background, would it really harm that much having them in the game? I mean...you have a restricted number of materia slots anyways, dont you?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #134 on: 2012-02-05 22:34:56 »
The real answer is that the Holy2 Animation crashes EpsxE when used on multiple targets. 

May I suggest using the Heartless Angel animation instead? It works well on both single and multiple targets. Take a look at the Rebirth Demo KERNEL for details.

Bas

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2012-02-05 22:49:33 »
Cure & Bio materia has one level more than abilties...I mean, Bio has the three abilities bio, bio2 & toxic, but has 5 levels in total. Restore has 5 levels with cure, cure2 & regen.

What does the "red stone" materia do? Auto-status? couldnt see that one or do I need to level it up first to level 2?

//retried phoenix pinions, same issue as before.

http://www.abload.de/img/unbenannt3ru66.jpg

//Addendum:
When Odin #1 is used, a big lance attacks a single enemy, but the battle ends even if there are other enemies still standing around. Haven't tried vs bosses.

Vincent limit#1: He transformed into a behemoth, the battle ended.

Caith Sith: Limit #2, he stand at a different location than usual. Once he takes on an action, this is fixed (non critical).
« Last Edit: 2012-02-06 01:11:58 by Bas »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2012-02-06 04:52:48 »
Im thinking that many of these issues are just the PC conversion.  Some of the bugs you are experiencing are parts of the game that I didn't even touch.  Lostwing was basically my first experiment with FFVII modding.  It seems to have become moderately popular, so I'm sorry for any bugs that are in the game, but I really dont plan on doing much else to these files.  I rarely get any time to work on any of my projects, and the amount of time they will take to complete means that I wont be done with my current projects for like 2 years at this rate.  However, I think that if you play the NTSC PSX version with no other mods, then you will cease to encounter nearly all of the issues you describe.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2012-02-06 04:54:25 »

May I suggest using the Heartless Angel animation instead? It works well on both single and multiple targets. Take a look at the Rebirth Demo KERNEL for details.

I will do this.  If not for Lostwing, but for JobKernel and Revisited.  Thanks.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #138 on: 2012-02-06 08:02:06 »
The only caveat is that the angel model won't appear off Discs Two and Three. I think this is an acceptable limitation, though.

I suppose you could also use Diamond Fire for a 'holy ray' effect, too, but it may be overkill.

danstrom

• View Profile
hey, lost wings
« Reply #139 on: 2012-03-14 02:54:47 »
hi, I wondered if anybody had done a lost-wings mod faq or walkthrough?  I notice a lot of changes etc

I've merged this into the main Lost Wing mod thread. It's best to post questions about mod in their release topics, else things start getting cluttered. - Bosola
« Last Edit: 2012-03-14 11:17:50 by Bosola »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2012-03-14 18:23:24 »
Thank you Bosola.

@danstrom - AFAIK no one has worked on any kind of faq or walkthrough for my mod.  You should be aware that the functional integrity of Lost Wing is in question; This was my first project and I used it to test many things and to learn the basics of modding, so there are many bugs, and some players have said that the game post-Icicle Inn is flawed because enemies have too much HP and there are few effective ways of dispatching them.  I've not thoroughly tested the game beyond the Ancient City.

However, if you're playing this on an emulator that allows for the utilization of gameshark codes, you can probably resolve any issue that you encounter (provided you have the right codes).  This mod does allow the player to use Young Cloud and Sephiroth as playable characters provided you know what you are doing.  If you want to make a FAQ then please do.  Otherwise, if you have any questions or are having trouble at some point in the game, just post the question in this thread and I will do my best to answer it.

danstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2012-03-14 19:51:14 »
i have used this mod on the pc version along with graphical mods.  I've noticed the enemies are generally harder however I haven't come across any bugs yet.  If i complete the game i may do a rough faq at best as i've never really done anything like that

danstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2012-03-14 20:23:52 »
just out of interest is there an easy way to remove the mod and keep others intact?

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2012-03-14 21:12:20 »
You can remove this mod by replacing KERNEL.BIN, KERNEL2.BIN and SCENE.BIN with the originals from the CD-ROMS.

danstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2012-03-14 23:58:12 »
just also wondered if there are any "completed" mods that change the gameplay/weapons/enemy stats and placements.  I enjoy testing them all but I wanted to do a playthrough of a complete one on my youtube channel

Mewsin (aka Zendar)

• i share everything i make (the Answer is yes)
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2012-03-15 05:40:15 »
just also wondered if there are any "completed" mods that change the gameplay/weapons/enemy stats and placements.  I enjoy testing them all but I wanted to do a playthrough of a complete one on my youtube channel
Complete is a large word to define what is done here
I've personally taken on the quest of making one such modification
i use the word quest as this is a time consuming and near impossible task
(there are just that many files you can alter)

But you posted this in the thread of the mod that in my eyes is the most fun to explore
as it changes lots of strategy on how to fight monsters and provides a new experience
instead of just a repeat at higher difficulty

as for the graphical stuff i advise using bootleg to install as you can select several options
and customize a bit at install

danstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2012-03-15 20:55:38 »
well good luck with your mod.  Ill just try a play through of this mod and see how it goes

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2012-03-17 03:20:57 »
Good luck danstrom.

Thanks for the compliment zendar

Genesis Rhapsodos

« Reply #148 on: 2012-03-22 19:05:50 »
I used to have a disc copy of this for my playstation, it was my favorite psx game I ever played. Now I have the downloaded version I got from the playstation network store so I can play it on my psp and ps3, but seems I'll need to download an iso of the psx version for this. I'll let you know if I get it working on my psp and how I like it if I do get it working, but I'm happy to see people aren't just making mods for the PC version. I prefer to play games like this on consoles rather than PC.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2012-03-22 21:42:25 »
Thanks for the interest.  AFAIK this mod WILL NOT work on PSP or PSN version.  There has been some discussion as to whether some minor modifications of the kernel (weapons, stats, items, spells) and scene (enemy data) would work on these versions, but so far none have been tested.  Good Luck