Author Topic: is 7th heaven right for me ??  (Read 3126 times)

leetdood

• View Profile
is 7th heaven right for me ??
« on: 2016-09-22 21:07:52 »
Hi All,

I posted in a different thread but was definitely in the wrong area, so this is probably the best place to post. The main question I have, is 7H right for me?

I am very interested in modded game play, but I'm not really interested in modded graphics or anything like that. I installed the Steam version of FF7 (not sure where, I'll have to check when I'm home to see if I am even able to use 7H since FF7 can't be in certain locations) and also ran gjoerulv's hardcore mod installer, and that's the ONLY thing I've modded. I started looking into Sega Chief's New Threat, and am interested in trying that too (separate save file from the hardcore mod). Do I need 7H installed in order to be able to switch between the 2 mods? Does it matter that I installed the hardcore mod before using 7H?

I watched the 7H youtube vid and it seems straightforward, and many of the mods seem to be aesthetics (which again, I think are cool, but don't really care about personally). I did see one in the youtube vid that updates some games and stuff at the Gold Saucer, which I think I would like. There doesn't seem to be a list that I can find of mods that come with 7H, are there a lot of gameplay mods that come with it (like the gold saucer update?)

I'm just interested in a more difficult game, new bosses and new side quests (which hardcore and NT seem to have).  Thanks for reading :)

Gotmilk751

• View Profile
Re: is 7th heaven right for me ??
« Reply #1 on: 2016-09-23 17:11:45 »
7th Heaven isn't just about modded graphics and things. It's a mod manager, designed to handle most if not all FFVII mods from graphics to audio to gameplay. With 7th Heaven you would be able to switch back and forth from New Threat to Hardcore without issue, as 7th Heaven injects the mods into the game when it launches as opposed to actually permanently modifying game files. However, it's meant to be installed over the vanilla game, so you'd need to uninstall Hardcore first. I can't remember if the standalone installer for Hardcore lets you restore the game to its original state but you'll need to do that before using 7th Heaven. It may even be necessary to completely uninstall the game (you can back up your saves) and reinstall it to make sure 7th Heaven installs correctly. Once you do that though, it certainly makes modding the game much easier and more convenient.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2016-09-23 23:20:31 »
Gotmilk is correct.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16538.0

Follow the first question in the FAQ for starting over clean. You will definitely need to clean the registry to have 7H work.

leetdood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-09-24 03:07:25 »
Great thanks for the replies guys. So my plan will be as follows:

uninstall FF7 using the FAQ
install vanilla FF7
use the forum post to install 7H
pick mods at will

It seems straight foward, but I have another question. I want to keep my current progress I've made on the hardcore mod, so I play on copying the folder with all my saved data onto another harddrive and then bringing it back after I get the vanilla FF7 set up along with 7H. Is there anything special I need to do to bring those back, besides placing the files back into the folder? Do I need Black Chocobo or anything? I'm clearly brand new at this so I apologize for the dumb questions :) I just don't want to lose my saved data!

Thanks!

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 2016-09-24 07:19:20 »
Just copy the save folder somewhere safe and put it back into the game folder once you're ready to play. It's possible some minor bugs come from them, but I can't say what/if any without actually have played it myself.