Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4836625 times)

PotatoHandle

• Does things quickly, no matter how long it takes.
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.1)
« Reply #325 on: 2014-09-01 02:04:35 »
Ahhh, I misunderstood then, thanks for the info! I'll prolly start in the next week or so, and by the time I get towards the end of midgar the new content may be out. Thanks again. \o/

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #326 on: 2014-09-03 20:02:10 »
Sega Chief, do you have any ideas for "ultimate bosses"? Sorry if it's been asked before, but knowing your nerdy knowledge of the game I would love to see some ideas.  8)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: 2014-09-03 23:45:04 »
Well, my bosses have been a little hit and miss so far but I've got some notes for some mechanics that could turn into something interesting:

Three-Team Fight Super-Boss

-) One thing I noticed in testing with Bizarro was that a three-man fight is actually quite difficult if the Core has to be killed and requires a fair amount of planning, especially if one of the teams only has two people. What I was wanting to do was design a boss around it and set up three very different challenges for each party. Bizarro, the original, tends to have only a little variation in the attacks he uses on each different party but there's no reason the fights couldn't be wildly different from each other. It could even be three separate bosses that are linked to each other through Bizarro's AI.

General stuff

-) Before I released the mod, there was a boss that had a No. 24 (FF6) style 'Barrier Shift' that would change the boss' elemental weakness whenever it took a few hits from its current 'weak' element. I was too inexperienced at the time to get it working properly, but I've always been meaning to go back to it. Something like that could be handy here, maybe coupled with attacks that alter the party's elemental weaknesses as well (so long as this is telegraphed to the player that it has happened).

-) Related to that, something that caused a lot of grief on the NT Mod's Jenova Life fight was the opening 'attack' that sets the player party to nullify the Restorative element, cutting off conventional healing. While I'm planning to change that to 1/2 resistance for the 1.2 release, this mechanic is great for flipping a battle on it's head. Regen can derail it, but some (sparing) use of Resist, Reflect, and/or Dual Drain should be good counters to that.

-) There was a Hardcore Hack (Gameshark) fight where an enemy was reducing MaxHP instead of just Current HP with it's attacks. Replicating that in some fashion for FF7 PC is on my 'to-do' list. The video was here: http://youtu.be/3-WBTbm5Vcw

-) I've also been meaning to look into attacks that disrupt Limit gauges, or which deal damage based on how full/empty these are. I think from what I saw in the save editor that the Limit value clocks in at 0-255 and there's an OpCode for it so maybe-

-) Status Stealing could be a handy trick, by transferring status ailments/buffs from one target to another. A boss that can steal Barrier, Haste, or Peerless would be a pain, or if it were taking these statuses from 'nodes' that only use protective magic on themselves. Or something that can transfer bad status ailments from one character to another, regardless of resistances, could mix things up. Lost number has a bit in his AI to Transfer Status from himself to his next form but not sure if that'd work or not.

-) On that note, I was also wanting to see if an enemy could copy a character's stats and push them into their own stats. Would be handy for 'Mimic' enemies that use the character's model.

-) There's a flag for 'Invisible' which I think is used by Ghosts. It'd be interesting to see what happens if it was used on a player character as part of an attack, or if the player had to trigger this to dodge some incoming super-attack-

-) Adapting to Elemental Weaknesses: I think Karifean was able to get this working for his Super Boss Rush mod, where an enemy would refrain from using attacks that would heal the player and use a different one instead.

-) One thing I've been working with is ways to use enemies differently in boss fights. I had a fight where a Gigas-type enemy would appear with four Bombs and periodically the Gigas would attack the bombs which, if killed, would hit the player with a powerful self-destruct attack so the goal of the fight was to balance attacking with keeping the Bombs healed.

atro city

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: 2014-09-04 00:45:02 »
-) Related to that, something that caused a lot of grief on the NT Mod's Jenova Life fight was the opening 'attack' that sets the player party to nullify the Restorative element, cutting off conventional healing. While I'm planning to change that to 1/2 resistance for the 1.2 release, this mechanic is great for flipping a battle on it's head. Regen can derail it, but some (sparing) use of Resist, Reflect, and/or Dual Drain should be good counters to that.

That's a shame, I liked the fact that no healing forced you to rethink your strategy, and it was flavorful as well. It's kind of terrifying to know that in a boss fight your HP can only go down (without using unorthodox methods of healing). 1/2 resistance would seem more like a minor annoyance than a major problem that has to be dealt with, and would take away from the charm of the boss fight in my opinion. I think a better way of balancing her might just be reducing her HP. Last time I fought her she was sitting on a mountain of it.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-04 00:46:50 by atro city »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: 2014-09-04 01:06:31 »
Maybe you're right, but a problem is that this fight is quite unusual and it comes after a lengthy FMV + scene which makes replaying it a pain. What I could do instead of reducing it to 50% is put a different fight in there and move a more difficult version of this boss to somewhere else, maybe Extra Battle because I need some replacements there.

Insight

• Nothing special here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: 2014-09-08 11:56:05 »
i have found a bug, i guess. when i have met rufus and trying to escape with aerith and the others, tifa, barret and redxiii just standing there and doing nothing. the scene where tifa says, that i have to go to the elevator and shes waiting for cloud is being initiated when i am getting to the elevator (alone with aerith). then it stucks, because aerith, barret and red xiii moving into one group (dont know how to describe it)

edit:
ps: are you planing to give us a full manual what has changed and what gameplay changes you have made in detail or do we have to guess most of the part by ourselves?
« Last Edit: 2014-09-08 15:15:59 by Insight »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: 2014-09-08 16:04:41 »
I'll fix that up right away. It's because I added a script to try and get an Inn/Shop NPC to appear without having to leave and re-enter the screen. Not sure why it'd break the rest of it, but I'll remove it if need be.

There should be a link to a manual (which is a little out of date, I'll admit) on the front page of this thread. I'll probably update it once 1.2 is out.

Insight

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: 2014-09-08 16:06:10 »
Ah great, you will save my day xD

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: 2014-09-08 16:34:33 »
That's the fix being uploaded now, it'll be about 5-10 minutes.

Insight

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: 2014-09-08 16:45:46 »
That's the fix being uploaded now, it'll be about 5-10 minutes.

You are welcome. I can wait ;)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: 2014-09-08 16:54:12 »
That's the patches up. The issue was that the NPC's Main script had been cleared, so it was turning over to the Talk script instead. Let me know if it goes wrong again, but it should be fine now. The scene patch was also updated, to fix an issue with Icicle Wolves/Bandersnatches in the Glacier.

Insight

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: 2014-09-08 17:01:14 »
That's the patches up. The issue was that the NPC's Main script had been cleared, so it was turning over to the Talk script instead. Let me know if it goes wrong again, but it should be fine now. The scene patch was also updated, to fix an issue with Icicle Wolves/Bandersnatches in the Glacier.

it worked. continue playing later on. ty for your fast reply :)

WolfMan

• One whos possessed by nothing possesses evrything
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: 2014-09-12 22:00:30 »
Can anyone who has recently installed the current version of New Threat mod please do me a huge favor. PM me the flevel.lgp from the FF7\Data\Field?? It has to be done from someone who has manually installed the gameplay mod. If you used 7H it won't work. I need this so I can patch some animations that have problems when using my red werewolf mod. This would be soooo helpful and greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: 2014-09-13 01:44:59 »
Woah there, slick. Before you do anything I want details about this, particularly the nature of the changes. We'll chat about it over PM.

WolfMan

• One whos possessed by nothing possesses evrything
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: 2014-09-13 06:04:51 »
Lol. We should probably let everyone know we worked it out Sega. :)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: 2014-09-13 12:25:40 »
So long as it's just loose field files that are being patched in through 7H then that's fine.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #341 on: 2014-09-23 01:55:56 »
OP says 1.2 will be released in about a week or so, and the last edit was on 9.14. I can't tell if that message was posted then or not, so just checking in on a status update :) Once 1.2 is released, I'll feature a gameplay video on YT which should pick up some traffic for 7th Heaven as well.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: 2014-09-23 04:33:23 »
Yeah, I'm running late. I ran into the usual problems with AI and there's other things that eat up time like shifting around items to cover revisions. It's gone a bit slow, but I'm getting there; just need to clear through the Crater and finish off some of the extra fights on the test playthrough. It seems to play a lot better this time; the new EXP arc worked out better than expected.

PotatoHandle

• Does things quickly, no matter how long it takes.
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #343 on: 2014-09-23 05:39:12 »
I'm waiting for the 1.2 release to patch my game now as well. As with Alyza; I'll also be trying to give the mod some exposure as I stream my playthrough. I did FFVII hardtype last time and got a stack of viewers, so I should get a good amount of people checking out your hard work as well. \o/

Keep us updated as best you can though. Thanks a bundle. \o/

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: 2014-09-23 12:20:28 »
Will do, bud; I'd appreciate the exposure for the mod. Sorry about the delay but I've got to make sure everything's operational before it goes out. Here's what's left:

Update: 24/09

To-Do List
-) Re-do some AI (Three enemies left)
-) Re-do some enemy models
-) Add 0EXP AI for Disc 2 Boss Menu [X]
-) Revise Kalm Traveller's scripts [X]
-) Change Inn prices
-) Remove remaining debug/testing routines
« Last Edit: 2014-09-24 19:52:37 by Sega Chief »

Kupo Nova

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: 2014-09-24 21:33:06 »
I can't wait for v1.2. Once it comes out, I'll try to record the boss battles again. Also, I'll leave a banner on my site.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: 2014-09-24 22:35:18 »
Cheers, Flare; I'd appreciate that. I'll make a link for your channel (and for the others) on this thread's main post when 1.2 goes out. And let's hope no pesky Type-5 Sweepers pop up this time  :-X

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: 2014-09-25 19:41:35 »
Update 25/09

So the enemies and bosses have now been re-specced with AI problems sorted out (Reno using Turk Poisona on the player :I). Way it works out, it seems that Lv70 is going to be roughly where the 'normal' run of the game ends so I'm placing pre-battle AI to set EXP given to 0 once this level is reached. Simple copy-paste job for the majority of enemies who had their AI cleaned up.

The goal now is to get the item allocation 'right' so that it doesn't need anymore tweaks or changes in the future.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: 2014-09-26 15:48:32 »
Update 26/09

Made general enhancements, such as save points where one is needed (Rocket Launch, Weapon Raid, etc.) and fixing up some bad/wrong animations & misaligned text that was in the original PC version. I've lost confidence in the whole 'find items to unlock 'X' Boss' system for the Extra Battle so I'll be relaxing the conditions for that to speed things along. Doing the item allocation today, and if there's time tonight I'll get the debug routines out and add a few extra surprises to make a play-through more exciting. I think Monday is a realistic target to shoot for.

Work remaining
-) Re-do AI for the Summon Materia Cave boss (and add enemy encounters to these caves, perhaps as a leveling/item thing)
-) Last enemy model tweaks (getting rid of Palmer's horrible blue suit)
-) Double-check Battle Square/Special Battle

RedManMark86

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: 2014-09-28 02:46:00 »
got to say i am super excited for this and once tifa adds it to the 7th heaven catalog after it comes out I shall be bashing a play through