Poll

New or old font.

New (Verdana)
53 (82.8%)
Old (Tahoma)
11 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Verdana Font  (Read 28246 times)

Shankifer

• Jack of all trades - Master of none!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Verdana Font
« Reply #50 on: 2010-08-13 19:07:51 »
What do you use to create/repaint your bars and borders. I've tried photoshop/paint/adobe flash (because it doesn't pixelate) and all of them seem to lose their appearance as bars when I zoom in or out, or resize the image. I'm trying to make 2 separate large "blue box" images with the border for a background. At the same time though, I also need to make some of them VERY tiny to mess with my aero.msstyles images (if you know anything about them, windows makes them so tiny they are barely visible without zooming a good bit.)

And as for on-topic thoughts (  ;D )

The "imi" in Limit just seems to really catch my eye, along with the "at" in Materia

Something about all the "i"s in the screen shots, it looks like they're taking up more space than they should.
Is it just me, or is it just one of those things you have to just deal with?

It's not a huge problem, It just caught my eye  :)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2010-08-13 21:32:05 »
The text is aligned pixel perfect with the originals, so any problems with this were in the original as well.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2010-08-14 07:00:20 »
I am looking for a few beta testers for the new GUI. You must be very fussy. Let me know if you are interested.

OwenWalker

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2010-08-15 19:11:36 »
I'll give the new font a testing :) Need to play through from the beginning again anyway..

Senti

• There's a fine line between insanity and ingenius
    • View Profile
    • Psychopathic Studios
« Reply #54 on: 2010-08-31 14:24:42 »
I'd be up for it. Also, random thought, anyone tried using the FF7 logo font as the primary font in game?

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2010-08-31 15:53:21 »
I'd be up for it. Also, random thought, anyone tried using the FF7 logo font as the primary font in game?
Well the problem is there is no lowercase font for the logo so if you use it you will have to use uppercase letters only.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2010-08-31 16:48:59 »
Well the problem is there is no lowercase font for the logo so if you use it you will have to use uppercase letters only.

The new font is almost done. Finishing up testing soon hopefully.

Senti

• There's a fine line between insanity and ingenius
    • View Profile
    • Psychopathic Studios
« Reply #57 on: 2010-08-31 17:43:09 »
Wouldn't be a problem for me, of course there's always the alternative of creating a secondary version of the font with shorter letters to indicate lowercase, those still using the same style as the uppercase letters (there are many fonts out there that have this). But then a lot of people may not be too keen on that either, I suppose it'd be something for me to try out myself.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2010-08-31 18:55:13 »
The logo font, Runic MT Condensed, does in fact have lowercase characters. The thing is, it's kind of unsuited for reading for long periods of time. It'd be serious eyestrain. Not to mention, the in-game font needs to have similar proportions to the current in-game font to work right, which Runic MT Condensed most certainly does not.

Dafont.com has a font called "Final Fantasy Font" which seems to be based on the logo font, but it's not nearly as good, it's a poor imitation, and it's missing a ton of elements from the original font. I strongly advise against using it for pretty much anything.
« Last Edit: 2010-08-31 18:56:59 by Covarr »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2010-08-31 21:51:09 »
The logo font, Runic MT Condensed, does in fact have lowercase characters. The thing is, it's kind of unsuited for reading for long periods of time. It'd be serious eyestrain.

This.

Serif fonts are bad for games, especially "decorative" ones. Simplicity is what you need in a font if you're going to be staring at it on a screen for a long time, especially when we'll all be playing the game at different resolutions.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2010-08-31 22:11:47 »
Not to mention the whole point of Team Avalanche is to enhance the game whlle keeping the original feel. Changing fonts to something like this would not accomplish that goal.