Author Topic: Bone Village Explained!  (Read 37643 times)

Terence Fergusson

• View Profile
Bone Village Explained!
« on: 2004-07-11 12:45:17 »
Success!  Thanks to lasyan's script dumper, I've pieced together how Bone Village digging works.  So, without further ado, here's the details.

NOTE: I will be posting this on the GameFAQs message board, since it *is* a useful bit of information for gamers.

First off, there are 8 spots that are pre-determined and located around the village.  These spots are numbered, and here are their exact locations (GameFAQs will only get the descriptive versions).

1: (-319, 608, 326): Top floor, right-side of smoke plume, Cloud's body half covered by the smoke, Cloud's head touching the tent
2: (368, 634, 327): Top floor, between the two black marks on the right-hand area
3: (-108, 81, -48): Bottom floor, *JUST* east of the tent door, right next to the piece of wood sticking out next to the door.
4: (26, 132, -40): Bottom floor, center of the dirt X to the east of the tent door.
5: (-61, -113, -110): Bottom floor, between the airplane and the skeleton, with Cloud's head touching the tip of the airplane's nose.
6: (21, 513, 328): Top floor, Cloud's foot barely touching the top-right corner of the burnt out campfire.
7: (-227, 500, 328): Top floor, halfway between the smoke plume and the campfire, near the southern edge of the area.
8: (-223, -252, -105): Bottom floor, due south of where you start, a little NE of the edge of the leaves.

These spots never change.  Now, when you search for treasure, one of these spots will be chosen randomly.  What you search for helps determine which spot is chosen:

Lunar Harp: Spot 1
Good Treasure: 80/256 chance each of Spots 2 and 3; 96/256 chance of Spot 4
Normal Treasure: 60/256 chance each of Spots 5, 6 and 7; 76/256 chance of Spot 8

This is the spot that the diggers will face when the bomb explodes.  However, you don't have to dig there.  Providing you're close enough to any of the listed spots, you'll be able to get the results of that spot.  For instance, you can dig for Lunar Harp but still dig up Spot 4 quite easily.

Now, here's what's hidden under each of the spots:

Spot 1: Lunar Harp (if you haven't dug it up yet) or Nothing.

Good Treasure Spots:
  Spot 2: Buntline (if you haven't dug it up yet), Phoenix Materia (if you're on Disc 3, you've already found the Buntline and have never collected the Phoenix Materia) or Nothing.
  Spot 3: Megalixir (if you haven't dug it up yet), Bahamut ZERO Materia (if you're on Disc 3, you've already found the Megalixir and have never collected the Bahamut ZERO Materia... but you only have a 10/256 chance of getting it each time you try) or Nothing.
  Spot 4: Mop (if you haven't dug it up yet), W-Item Materia (if you're on Disc 3, you've already found the Mop and have never collected the W-Item Materia) or Nothing.

Normal Treasure Spots:
  Spot 5: Key to Sector 5 (if you haven't found it yet and Cloud's recovered from his Mako Poisoning), Elixir (36/256 chance if you didn't find the Key or already have it) or Nothing.
  Spot 6: Key to Sector 5 (if you haven't found it yet and Cloud's recovered from his Mako Poisoning), Turbo Ether (20/256 chance if you didn't find the Key or already have it) or Ether.
  Spot 7: Key to Sector 5 (if you haven't found it yet and Cloud's recovered from his Mako Poisoning), Ether (76/256 chance if you didn't find the Key or already have it) or Nothing.
  Spot 8: Potion (128/256 chance) or Nothing.

If you fail to search near enough to a Spot, you will get the results of Spot 8 (Potion or Nothing).

And that's all there is to it.  Hope it was useful to you.

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
Bone Village Explained!
« Reply #1 on: 2004-07-11 13:04:33 »
Nice find.

Anyways the question.  Can you find all summons missed except Alexander Typhon and KOTR?

Terence Fergusson

• View Profile
Bone Village Explained!
« Reply #2 on: 2004-07-11 13:05:53 »
Not in Bone Village.  Only the three Materia I mentioned may be dug up.  You can, for instance, easily miss the Ramuh Materia (Corel Prison Chocobo Square, when you're in the room with all the jockeys) and kiss goodbye to ever getting it again.

Darkdevil

• View Profile
Bone Village Explained!
« Reply #3 on: 2004-07-11 13:09:59 »
Damn....Oh well, It was worth a shot ^_^

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Bone Village Explained!
« Reply #4 on: 2004-07-11 13:26:59 »
Damn, good work there, TF!  *pats on the back*

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Bone Village Explained!
« Reply #5 on: 2004-07-11 13:31:33 »
You should show a picture of the field background with all the spots highlighted.

Also, you sem to be getting the hang of the field commands. Have you discovered anything about the arguments? I'm going to be tackleing them as my next project.

Terence Fergusson

• View Profile
Bone Village Explained!
« Reply #6 on: 2004-07-11 13:38:31 »
I would, but it'd (1) take more time than I care to spend right right now and (2) I don't exactly have any webspace at the moment.  I figure if I can explain it well enough in text, someone else will do the map ^_^;

I'll note that the Z values are impossible to get at *exactly* with the given X and Y values, though, but the game's pretty forgiving about how close you need to be.

Huhm... there's something you might like to play with, Halkun.  Modify the file enough so that pointers appear at each spot.  (I don't like playing with the FF7 files directly, but if you're already fiddling around with stuff... might be fun to try)

---

And about the field commands... I didn't really *need* to understand that many to get at stuff.  Let's see...

[14 word(2) val comp offset] : IF word(2 bytes) (comp) (val) then goto (offset)
Valid (comp) values are: 00:!=, 01:==, 02:<=, 03:>=, 04:<, 05:>, 09:Bit is OFF, 0A:Bit is ON.  There may be others.  Offset is counted from the address of the 'offset' byte itself (the script dumper counts it from the 'comp' byte)

[16 sword(3?) val(2) comp offset] : If sword(3 bytes?) (comp) (val) then goto (offset)
Same as 14 except val is a 2-byte number.  Since Set-Word only accepts 2-bytes for the variable, it may be that sword is not 3 bytes... but the 3rd byte just tends to be 00.

[58 ?? xx ?? yy] : ST-ITM (??, xx, ??, yy)
Attempts to add yy multiples of Item ID xx to your inventory.  Maybe it can accept negative values as well?
[5B ?? ?? xx ?? ?? ?? ] : SM-TRA (??, ??, xx, ??, ??, ??)
Attempts to add a Materia of ID xx.  If it fails, UByte(D0)[1F] is set to non-zero.

[82 word(2) bit] : BIT-ON word(2 bytes) bit
Turns the indicated bit on at the indicated word

[99 ab xx] : RANDOM (ab, yy)
Odd one.  Creates a random number between 0 and 255 (I assume), and places it at UByte(ba)[yy] (yes, it seems to reverse the first byte.  At least, I assume that's what it's doing....

That's mostly what I gleaned from the Bone Village Event scripts; lasyan already has window, message and ask well mapped, it seems.  bonevil2 event's script was far more difficult, and I only have a passing understanding of *certain* ids: TURA seems to turn the current object towards an indicated object, and XYZI seems to set the XYZ position of the current object, with GETAI setting some other IDs.  I think.  Eheh.  Ah well.

Darkdevil

• View Profile
Bone Village Explained!
« Reply #7 on: 2004-07-11 13:45:45 »
If it helps, I have quite the bit of webspace on my site.

Lord_Skylark

• View Profile
Hey
« Reply #8 on: 2004-07-11 19:30:00 »
Just curious - how would this script dumper work with the scene.bin? Does it give more information than if you simply viewed it uncompressed or anything? Not too much into programming to understand how this works - but I do lots of hex hacking. heh.

~Sky

Cyberman

• View Profile
Re: Hey
« Reply #9 on: 2004-07-11 22:33:25 »
Quote from: Lord_Skylark
Just curious - how would this script dumper work with the scene.bin? Does it give more information than if you simply viewed it uncompressed or anything? Not too much into programming to understand how this works - but I do lots of hex hacking. heh.

~Sky

The script dumper decodes script information within a scene file such as menu's and function codes.  As far as battle's if there is a particular battle  (IE preprogramed battle) then it should be able to dump the script information for the battle (conversation etc).

Cyb

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Bone Village Explained!
« Reply #10 on: 2004-07-11 22:58:19 »
No, it doesn't read scene.bin. It reads .dat files in the PSX /field dir and the first section of the PC field file (Same format)

You have to remeber that the PSX edienness is backwards from a PC so some of the data will look odd. You have to flip it back to get meaningful data.

Cyberman

• View Profile
Bone Village Explained!
« Reply #11 on: 2004-07-12 00:02:27 »
Quote from: halkun
No, it doesn't read scene.bin. It reads .dat files in the PSX /field dir and the first section of the PC field file (Same format)

You have to remeber that the PSX edienness is backwards from a PC so some of the data will look odd. You have to flip it back to get meaningful data.

Is this the same for scripted battles therefore?
where are the scripts for said battles? In a scene.bin that launches the battle?

Cyb

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Bone Village Explained!
« Reply #12 on: 2004-07-12 00:49:15 »
Quote from: Cyberman

Is this the same for scripted battles therefore?
where are the scripts for said battles? In a scene.bin that launches the battle?

No, the battle module uses a different language. Battle also has a 3D "player" that plays the summons and magic attacks.

However, I'm sure the kernel requests are the same, they probably just take different arguments

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Bone Village Explained!
« Reply #13 on: 2004-07-12 02:33:45 »
uhm...

Could you tell me at which point 0,0,0, (or just 0,0) is on that map?  that way, i can triangulate the points and possibly make a visual map as halkun requested..  but i need a point of reference, otherwise the #s mean nothing.

Also, have you looked at information for all three disks?  I seem to recall having once dug up Yuffies Conformer after i lost it =/

Terence Fergusson

• View Profile
Bone Village Explained!
« Reply #14 on: 2004-07-12 13:54:13 »
Knowing where 0,0 is on the map won't help you; there's no easy way to mathematically convert a 3D point to a 2D image without knowing exactly how the walkmaps are defined.  For instance, going up the ladder is a huge chance in z with near to no change in x and y... but it means a pretty big change in location on the 2D image.  Also, locations where Cloud is further away from the camera will have the same difference in x relate to a smaller difference in horizontal movement in the 2D image.

This is why I gave descriptions as best I could of each of the eight spots.  Really, your best chance in locating them is one of the following:

1) Locate the X-Y-Z variables for Cloud's object in memory: this is what I did.  However, it's in a non-standard area of memory, so I can't promise it'll stick: for me, X was at 036F72E4 (2 bytes), Y was at 036F72E8 (2 bytes) and Z was at 036F72EC (2 bytes).  Searching for ranges when you're near to a known location is the best way to find them, and again why I provided descriptive locations.

2) Alter the script so that all eight spots are visible on the screen with some kind of pointer.  This is doable as we understand more about the scripts, and will likely be within Halkun's capability fairly soon: copying and pasting script commands from other areas that use pointers (Mt. Corel, maybe?) would instantly help.  This is also the most accurate way to do things, although it may not align 100% with the walkmap.

3) Use the descriptive locations and what prizes you get to track down all seven spots, and mark down their location.  Also use the diggers to help pinpoint the final location of many spots.  The diggers are also the only way to pinpoint the eighth spot.

---

Oh, and regarding Conformer?  I have to say "impossible".  There are only two map areas for Bone Village, and the 2nd one is used only for setting bombs, while the 1st one has the box that gives you what was dug up.  The *only* difference between all three discs are the movie files.  The Conformer is not listed in the dialogue, and even for some of the items that *are* listed in the dialogue but I have not listed (Steal Materia, for instance), the event scripts for that section do *not* ever attempt to give you one of them.  The script for the treasure box is easy to find and easy to walk through: the only items it gives are those I've listed.

If the Conformer *could* be dug up there, it would have a dialogue entry and a ST-ITM command related to picking it up.  Neither exists.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Bone Village Explained!
« Reply #15 on: 2004-07-12 16:20:55 »
...aaand such things are out of my knowhow.  Poo. =/

Ah well, i'll just use your descriptions as a base and add Numbers in photoshop once i get screencaptures of the area... that'd be easier... for me, anyway, hehe.

Goku7

• View Profile
Bone Village Explained!
« Reply #16 on: 2004-07-12 17:15:46 »
Wait.  So there's no script for getting Key to Sector 5 before Cloud gets back to normal (i.e., Disc 2, pre-Cloud)?

sw5000

• View Profile
Bone Village Explained!
« Reply #17 on: 2004-07-13 09:16:18 »
I heard that you can also dig up
Spoiler: show
Aeris' body

Messiah99

• View Profile
Bone Village Explained!
« Reply #18 on: 2004-07-13 09:26:21 »
Quote from: sw5000
Aeris' body

Yep, its three steps up and seven left from the spot where you can find the Masamune. :wink:

fa_pa

• View Profile
Bone Village Explained!
« Reply #19 on: 2004-07-13 09:37:28 »
Quote from: Messiah99
Quote from: sw5000
Aeris' body

Yep, its three steps up and seven left from the spot where you can find the Masamune. :wink:

hehe true ;)

there is NO Aeris any more she IS DEAD!!!
why cant you let Aeris be dead? she died thats it!

trickstar66

• View Profile
    • http://radicalgarbage.250free.com
Bone Village Explained!
« Reply #20 on: 2004-07-14 05:10:33 »
Hehe. Great work TF! Do you think you could do FF9's chocobo forest next? :lol:

DynamixDJ

• 1111 1111 0111
    • View Profile
Re: Bone Village Explained!
« Reply #21 on: 2018-02-28 16:52:59 »
Ancient topic revival here.... or should I say Cetra topic revival...

I noticed something worth mentioning regarding dig spot 8. While it exists as a dig spot, it is actually dummied out and isn't called upon as a check when you search in a spot. "bonevil2" "keyc" "script3" shows the scripts.

Firstly, before anything, the 50/50 chance of receiving a Potion or Nothing occurs. Then, *seven* checks are performed to see if the triangle ID that you are standing on matches up with 1 of 7 the triangles allocated as dig spots, and the box "prize" var then adjusts accordingly (after the individual prize checks have been carried out for the particular dig spot you're on). Dig spot 8 is never looked at, so, technically speaking, standing on dig spot 8 registers the same as not standing on a dig spot at all.

I know that ultimately the final result is the same as described above (you either get a Potion or nothing for standing at dig spot 8, or not standing on a spot at all), but I just thought this was worth mentioning 13 yrs later :)
« Last Edit: 2018-02-28 17:27:08 by DynamixDJ »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2018-02-28 17:27:10 »
Now that is how you necro. Well done *slow clap*

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2018-02-28 17:52:06 »
A bug I noted and fixed for The Reunion is that the placeholders (materia) that they used for the dig spots are not hidden... so you can actually see the pixel sized areas where you need to dig.  Oops.

DynamixDJ

• 1111 1111 0111
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2018-02-28 18:32:18 »
Yeah, I remember spotting that too! In fact, I've just remembered that I once layered the walkmesh over the field map in Photoshop to create this map which accurately highlights the triangles positions (has a quick dig... mind the pun....)