Author Topic: [FF7PC/PSX] FFVII Lost Wing (1.1)  (Read 185491 times)

Nikkolas

• View Profile
Re: [REL/FF7] FFVII Lost Wing (PSX/PC)
« Reply #175 on: 2013-03-31 08:08:44 »
Um...hello. First post.

I joined because I really liked this. It gave me the energy to finally replay FFVII for the first time in years. I always liked the game for its story but this made the actual gameplay interesting.

However, I've run into a problem. I got up to the end of Disk 1 with no problems but when I followed the instructions for how to modify Disk 2, it doesn't work. I put kernel.bin, scene.bin and namemenu.mnu in their respective folders and saved it as Disk2Lost Wing.bin and .cue but every time I load it on ePSXe it crashes. It lets me get to the Squaresoft logo and stuff but if I try to push a button to go to the title screen and start the game there's an error sound and nothing happens.

I don't know what I could have done wrong.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #176 on: 2013-03-31 17:58:25 »
Oh boy.  This has happened to a few others.  But some others have not experienced this issue.  I don't know what is going on here.  My best advice would b to read the whole thread and see how others have fixed the problem.  You're playing on EpsxE right?  The method in my instructions should work.  Get an unmodded Disc 2 ISO/Bin and try the process over again.  Perhaps copy my old instructions into a post and that could help me or someone else help you.

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 2013-03-31 19:37:38 »
Here were your instructions:
****For applying changes to FFVII Disc 2 and Disc 3****

I'm not sure if the above process works for all 3 discs, but there is an alternative method.

1.  Open CDmage

2.  Open FFVIILostWing.cue

3.  Extract kernel.bin from the 'INIT' folder

4.  Extract scene.bin from the 'BATTLE' folder

5.  Extract namemenu.mnu from the 'MENU' folder

6.  Once you have these files, open FFVII Disc 2 (or 3) with CDmage

7.  Import the kernel.bin scene.bin and namemenu.mnu files to the same location you got them from only on disc 2/3

8.  Follow Steps 11 and 12 from the Disc 1 instructuons to import character menu pictures

Didn't care about character portraits but I did the other stuff. I've read through the thread a couple times and I'll check once more but I don't think anyone addressed how to fix this issue. Most people on here used the PC version.

S'okay if you don't know how to fix this. I can give the PC version a try.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 2013-03-31 21:15:59 »
Just tested the method outlined in the instructions.  It worked for me  :| Sorry....I don't know what to do if this method doesn't work.

To simplify.  As long as the modded kernel.bin and scene.bin are in the proper places, game should work fine.

The instructions describe a way to extract the kernel and scene from the modded FFVII Disc One.  If you have extracted the modded kernel and scene from the modded Disc One, then you have the pieces you need to mod Disc Two.  Just plug them into the proper places on Discs Two and Three and everything should function properly. - - - I know you probably did this and know this, but just in case you didn't maybe this helps you to figure out what may have gone wrong.

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 2013-03-31 21:49:00 »
...huh. I just retried it (extracting teh modified files and importing them onto Disk 2) and it worked fine. I dunno what might have happened the first time.

I really appreciate your prompt response. :) Your mod is awesome and I plan to play it through to the end.

If you ever finish Revisited, I'll definitely play that too. (no rush or anything. just saying it looks even cooler than this)

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: 2013-04-01 03:24:48 »
Thanks man.  I appreciate your comments.  As far as Revisited goes...its one of those things that I will get to someday.  Unfortunately its been like 2 years or something since I've worked on it and it may be another year or two before I work on it again.  I'm playing through Lost Wing right now to see if its playable through to the end.  I am going to play through what I have done of Revisited afterwards (probably months from now), and then I will at least know what remains to be done.  I really wanted to make my job class kernel too >_<  Someday.  Glad you are enjoying LostWing!!!

EDIT:  I am only at Gold Saucer on my Lostwing playthrough.  Some have reported ridiculously high HP enemies that are only damaged by certain attacks at the beginning of Disc 2.  If you could confirm or refute this, I would appreciate it.

Note:  I intended for the player to take some time post-Ancient City to train and gather materials and do sidequests.  A lot of people always go to Mideel and grind their team into overpowered beasts - - collecting better equipment, materia, and gaining some levels may be necessary in LostWing.
« Last Edit: 2013-04-01 03:30:02 by xLostWingx »

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 2013-04-01 03:55:08 »
Hm... I'm at the Whirlwind Maze right now and I haven't encountered any absurdly high HP enemies as of yet.

At this point, the only glitches or whatever I can spot are:

There was one funny thing that happened in the Great Glacier. Some flying enemy (can't remember the type sorry) used Thunder on itself. It looked like it had a healing animation so I'm guessing the monster was trying to heal but it ended up killing itself instead.

The game glitches really bad with Vincent's Limits. I had to stop using him because if he transformed, battles had a weird chance of just ending for no reason. Enemies would still be alive but the victory music would start and that was that. I just don't think the game likes him being controllable or something.

I'll keep an eye out for any ridiculously over-HP'ed enemies though and report what they are and where.

EDIT:

So I'm at Mideal with Tifa. Random enemies seem to have around 10.000 or more HP but that isn't in itself a problem. My regular attacks do almost a thousand damage anyway.

The problem is that  most of them seem to be able to do 4K-6K damage with just physical attacks. My party gets wiped out in no time. I'll keep exploring and maybe it won't be so bad after I get better equipment but I dunno.
« Last Edit: 2013-04-01 19:59:40 by Nikkolas »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 2013-04-02 00:43:44 »
Hey thanks for the report Nikkolas.  Enemies are dealing 5k damage?  What is your HP?  like 6k?  I'm thinking I may have made it so you have to go through the normal process of OPing your party in order to handle random encounters near the end of the game.  I hope it doesn't get to the point of being unplayable.  I do know that I deliberately made some random encounters too powerful at the time you initially make it to the area.  I think I designed it so that you would still have challenging battles to choose from on the world map on the 3rd disc.  Avoid these enemies for now or OP your party to take them.

EDIT:  The enemy using Thunder is probably using it because Thunder Occupies the Cure 3 Spot on the magic list I think...I will have to identify that enemy and give it Lightning Elemental Absorb.

Vincent's Limits may be Broken.  Since I modded the Kernel for the use of Sephiroth as a playable character, Vincent may have suffered the consequences. 

You should have access to Wall-type support spells, plenty of items with these spells, and accessories with auto-wall.  These are almost essential at during some parts of the game.  And you should be able to have your entire party in the back row depending on who you use and how many Long Range materia you have.   Back row, wall, sadness, those enemies definitely won't hit for 5k then.
« Last Edit: 2013-04-02 01:41:57 by xLostWingx »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 2013-04-02 01:31:16 »
Hey man, I love your mod! It adds the older Final Fantasy feel, with all the new materia and the status bonuses on equipment and such.
I'm playing through now, and I know a load of my friends are - I'd love you to keep working on this!

Thanks dude.  Very glad to hear that.  Luck may be on your side as I am playing through Lost Wing myself and paying a little more attention to the fanbase since it is apparently not nonexistent lol.  Document your playthrough and let me know about bugs, broken anythings, and imbalances.  Thanks!

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 2013-04-02 03:00:14 »
I glanced at an enemies list for the Great Glacier and the name of the enemy who used Thunder on itself was Shred.

Thanks for the tips on how to survive.  I'm hardly even a pro at vanilla FFVII which is why I avoided the Nightmare mods and stuff. I just wanted the gameplay to be innovated ya know?

I was pretty much starting to keep everyone in the back row for boss fights but I guess I might as well do the same for regular battles now as well. Sadness reducing damage is something I never knew about so that'll help too.

I also got plenty of Light Curtains, a couple Support materias and a Protect Ring so I should be okay. I'm taking a break from the game for a day or two but I'll post back have if I have any issues.

Thanks again!

Edit - Progress:

I'm on my way to thE City of the Ancients with Bugenhagen after collecting all teh Huge Materia. I haven't encountered any ridiculously overpowered monsters except for some sort of dinosaur thing that you can run into on a few islands in the Icicle Area. It hits anyone for 9999 damage, regardless of my protection.

Speaking of which, Rude was the most nightmarish boss thus far. You fight him right before going into outer space you might remember. He uses his Grand park move three times in a row and it did about 6K damage to Cloud. The real problem though was his regular physical attack which almost always seem to hit for critical and did another 6K+ damage. All of this when my characters had Physical Rings (1/2 Physical attacks) + Sadness + Back Row + Wall.
And he was fast as hell too.

I'm just thankful for two things:
1. I got a completed Enemy Skill materia after beating the Wutai sidequest. YOu'll remember Yuffie takes all your materia for a bit and when she returned it I noticed I had a couple bonuses. One was a ES materia with all abilities and the othr was a Vitaliy Plus materia. The ES materia and Big Guard were essential for beating Rude as he was so fast he could annihilate my party before they each individually put Barrier up.
2. Drain weapons. Blood Sword and Bloody Cross have been lifesvers against regular enemies and bosses alike. I save both a turn and a ton of MP by healing while also attacking. Yuffie + Added Effect/Bio + Mug/Added Cut + Bloody Cross is the best for demolishing bosses with lots of HP.
« Last Edit: 2013-04-02 17:59:45 by Nikkolas »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 2013-04-27 19:21:54 »
Nice!

I saw that Full Enemy Skill as well...that wasn't suppose to happen, but there are a few things in Lost Wing that you have to make a concious choice not to use...guess that will be one of them.  But seeing as you can get Big Guard anyway, its alright.  Yeah I was working with the 9999 dmg limit in mind so the Blood Weapons should become staples by that part of the game.  I like your setup on yuffie.  I imagine you were encountering Vlakorados that did the 9999s.  But you managed to beat Rude right?  If you beat him then we're good lol.  Glad to hear your using the physical rings.  I hope there are still a variety of strategies you can choose to use at the end of the game instead of just Blood Weapons and Physical Rings.

I've been playing myself.  I just made it to the 2nd Disc.  Jenova Death was a decent boss I think.  She beat me the first time because I tried without Big Guard.  She can Berserk your party and Regen/Haste herself!  Red Dragon seemed relatively formidable.  Demon's gate was a little easier than I wanted.  Did you get the Superball for Yuffie?  Damages = Current HP.  Was Overpowered when I got it, but by the Huge Materia portion of the game, it should be about right.  At the end it should be a little underpowered.

White Wind doesnt work >_< dammit.  Thats the best recovery spell in the game if you ask me.  I will have to fix that.  I'm finding that I am not using a lot of my magic materia...I don't know if this will change once its all at max level and I have more Blue Materia to pair with it or what.  Also I'm thinking that Vitality Plus and Spirit Plus are crap.  MP Plus and Speed Plus are definitely more useful. 

What level are you?  My Party is like lvl 27 - 30 at end of Disc 1.  I'm feeling like I am not over or under powered - unless I abuse the physical attack abilities of a character - boost someones Strength/Attack as much as possible and put weapon on with *Dead Allies increase power!* and add lucky Strike and i think I'd be hitting 9999s right now. But I suppose it would be tough to keep that character alive in a boss fight.  Or prevent them from getting confused statused some other way.

Thanks for updating.  Let me know your input as far as any bugs or suggestions.  I intend to update Lost Wing after I complete my current playthrough.

EDIT:  Wow...Blue Dragon!!  He is Brutal...like...I can't beat him.  At least I haven't yet with my general setup.  Guess I'll see what it takes to beat him.

EDIT  Let me rephrase.  I couldnt beat him with my general setup with Aeris and Tifa.  I beat him with my general setup with Yuffie and Red.  Yuffie's just better than Tifa and Red has enough HP to survive a smack from that dragon's tale (Aeris just dies).  And I was lucky he didnt toss dragon breath or w/e it is at me...it wiped me out in an earlier battle.  But I won....got a Dragon Armlet...i want Dragon Armlet to be good so bad...but its only really good for like 50 minutes of gameplay lol.

Water 3 Doesnt work?!!?!?!?!  You can't select the enemy.  Cast Water 3 on mysel during Blue Dragon battle lol.
« Last Edit: 2013-04-28 04:24:41 by xLostWingx »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 2013-04-28 04:28:54 »
So I think I'll play through Lost Wing.  Make Fixes once I'm done.  Play through Revisited.  Make Fixes and Finish the Project.  Then I'll hopefully start work on the Job Class kernel.  Hell.  I'll make a package with 3 Kernels and 2 Scenes and you can make up to 6 different combinations!  I'm thinking job Class Kernel Revisited Scene is gonna be awesome

EDIT:  I am at junon huge materia.  Although I've encountered a few overpowered enemies and a few underpowered enemies, overall the balance seems decent.  Even leveling up seems good...ive deliberately kept my team at level 30 (29-31) and I feel just a bit underpowered...ordinarilyi think i would be at level 37-39 at this point in which case I think the balance would still be good.  or team might be a little OP.  I have found out that you cant level all your materia.  you definietely have to commit to certain materia b/c without cheats you wont't level them all up, unless you want to be level 60 or 70 by midway through disc 2.

Wow.  I feel so underpowered (I stopped exp gain for about 90,000 exp and now I'm wishing I hadn't!)  But I am gaining levels and making it through.  Rude did just wipe me out hard.  Going to have to find a way to beat this guy.  Not opposed to going out and gaining a few levels.  Everyone is at lvl 32 right now.

Carry Armor was pretty underpowered.  I've since cheated a bit and given my party all items so I don't remember how many Hero Drinks I had (i think about 6 or 7).  I used 2 in Carry Armor Fight.  So i can use up to 5 in the Rude fight.  Just need to find a way to survive his initial onslaught.  Forcing Cid into my party doesn't help either.  Gonna have to use Red or Barret, lotsa HP plus materia, physical rings, with back row sadness and barrier.  Tank the whole team!  That oughta do it.

Wow that Rude fight was epic!  Did he seriously just start casting Bolt 2 and Cure 2 after he had less than 1/4 HP?  lol  what an idiot.  Well...to beat him I got everyones HP over 5000 max.  Physical Rings on 2 and Imperial Guards (idk....I think they helped).  Meteorains, TS Bombs, Graviras, Big Guards, Mights, Quadra Bahamuts, Elixers, Mega Potions, Megalixers, Regens, Marlboro Tentacle.  Thats how I beat him!!! It was ridiculous.  Definitely a Hardcore battle.  Oh....and lots of Pausing to think about the next move hahaha !!!

And Now I Fight Diamond WEAPON.  I think i need to gain about 10 levels haha.  He is brutal.  Definitely gotta gain some HP, LVL and Stats

EDIT: Ok...at level 40 I beat Diamond WEAPON with a party of Aeris, Yuffie, and Cloud.  Yuffie didn't do much.  Cloud servered a generic role, and Aeris carried the party.  Aeris' planet protector big guard hero drinks comet 2 megalixers lunar curtains light curtains holy ribbons.  yeah apparently Diamond smacks you with Death attacks!  and silence and berserk attacks.  i beat him, but idk how it wouldhave gone without aeris.
« Last Edit: 2013-05-03 03:34:59 by xLostWingx »

ChaosSaber9999

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 2013-07-14 01:04:31 »
How or can you heal someone wearing the fleshlust accessory?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 2013-07-14 01:45:51 »
You don't. That's the trick ;)

ChaosSaber9999

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 2013-07-14 03:17:23 »
Okay that explains it I thought it was like undead status and you could heal with poison or something like that like in other final fantasy games oh well thanks

ChaosSaber9999

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: 2013-07-14 17:34:50 »
well i used odin and he attacks with gunge lance it only hits one enemy and only recognizes one other enemy as alive after use so in short after odin you cant kill all the enemies but it says that you win its weird

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 2013-07-14 18:33:22 »
well i used odin and he attacks with gunge lance it only hits one enemy and only recognizes one other enemy as alive after use so in short after odin you cant kill all the enemies but it says that you win its weird

Yeah some things in this mod are broken.  I apologize.  A lot of them would have been fixed, but apparently I wasn't experiencing many of the issues that people who were playing the PC version or who were installing other mods alongside mine were experiencing so I wasn't really able to fix them unless someone told me while I was still working on it.  Really, a lot of people say they enjoy playing this, but there are some broken things in this mod so everyone is aware.  Odin acts funny sometimes, White Wind works on my computer on ePSXe, but apparently not on anyone else's computer in PSX or PC format.  Ummm...there are others.  Probably scattered throughout the thread.  But you can complete the game.

ChaosSaber9999

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 2013-07-14 21:28:32 »
just curious can you tell me what enemies you can steal armor and weapons from i.e hard edge can be stolen from soldier 3rd class in shinra headquarters i just dont wanna risk staying in battle with enemies that could kill me in a couple hits for an item i dont really need not that the guessing game isnt fun and all but for someone that doesnt like to save between every fight it could be devastating to lose trying to steal from an enemy that i could only get an ether from or something

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 2013-07-15 01:55:37 »
This is the best I can do right now.  http://thebrink.us/ffvii/stealableitems.htm

There are lots of sites you can find by searching for them that will have all the information for a walkthrough or item lists, etc. that you will ever need.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-15 02:06:29 by xLostWingx »

« Reply #194 on: 2013-07-16 09:41:05 »
Just starting to get into FFVII again after its Steam Release, and thus looking for new Challenges that only modders like yourself can provide :D

I am looking for a good challenge and hopefully a new wonderful game experience :D
I like the the quick read on the OP and the adjustments you are making (However I also read your other Thread "FFVII revisted" Which sounds even better but stills very old @_@

I have a few questions are your Lost Wing mod.

Firstly, does your mod any any new boss encounters? (Material Boss fights, easter eggs or the like?)

-Have you added any new Scenes to enhance the story telling?

-How far does your mod cover a game play? All 3 discs?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: 2013-07-16 14:09:29 »
No field changing, which means no new bosses and no new scenes. The mod is complete up to the end of the game.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: 2013-07-16 18:53:17 »

I like the the quick read on the OP and the adjustments you are making (However I also read your other Thread "FFVII revisted" Which sounds even better but stills very old @_@

Firstly, does your mod any any new boss encounters? (Material Boss fights, easter eggs or the like?)

-Have you added any new Scenes to enhance the story telling?

-How far does your mod cover a game play? All 3 discs?

Hey man, thanks for taking interest.  You're not mistaken when you say that Revisited sounds much better.  It is...it's just far less complete.  As vgr says, this Lost Wing mod doesn't change the story or any new or hidden scenes in the game.  What it does do, can be found throughout the thread.  But basically the heaviest area of modification in this mod is in the Equipment (all weapons, armors, and accessories have been modded), Spells/Materia (all modded), Tons of Item Modifications and additions, Limit Breaks have been tweaked, Character growth (Stats/Hp/Mp) has been altered significantly.  While in Revisited, I've done extensive work swapping enemies around the game and adding optional/additional bosses and things like that, Lost Wing's enemies remain in the same sequence and appear just as they would in the vanilla game - the difference being that they are at increased difficulty. 

One of the quirks of FFVII:  Lost Wing is that you can complete up to about the WhirlWind maze without much difficulty if you're an experienced VII player.  Once you make it to the Huge Materia quests you'll notice a sharp increase in difficulty.  While this was deliberate (I just always wanted end of the game bosses to pose a real threat and significant challenge) I was quite inexperienced when I made this mod years ago, and the difficulty level of end-game enemies is really at the extreme level.  For this reason, using BlackChocobo or some other trainer or method to give yourself a little extra help (be it certain items, equipment, materia, extra AP, make yourself higher level, whatever you require) is encouraged around the time you fight Diamond WEAPON.  Diamond WEAPON serves as the dark black line between when this game changes from feasible to complete, to deliberately challenging your VII skills.  Adding some items, materia, AP, levels, or some combination of these things won't make it easy to defeat the post-Diamond enemies and bosses by any means, but at least you'll have a chance.

Another note is that if you are playing on the PSX (which you aren't, but other that read this might) remember!  You can use Young Cloud and Sephiroth with the gameshark codes that are listed in this thread.  Just a reminder!

Anyone with questions about Revisited - this is a project that I do want to complete...but don't look for it anytime soon.  I can, and may soon provide an updated Demo which would be playable through the end of the 1st disc, but don't hold your breath for too long.

« Reply #197 on: 2013-07-17 12:08:24 »
Thanks for the reply :D I'll keep this thread and your other followed!

bliznik

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 2013-09-16 20:49:13 »
Hey, new user of Lost Wing!  Just one question, did you mean to have Cloud start the game with the Mythril Saber instead of the Buster Sword?  I feel a bit upset that Could doesn't start the game with his trademark sword...

*EDIT*  OK, this teaches me I should read previous posts before I post a question.  I just read this on page 2:

-You start out with the Buster Sword, its way overpowered at this part of the game.  You are suppose to have Mythril Saber.  You will get one in Sector 6 or gameshark it in till I fix it.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-16 21:05:25 by bliznik »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 2013-09-18 04:42:04 »
The Buster Sword is one of the Ultimate Weapons you can choose from for Cloud.