Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Replacement FMVs, footage from AC/CC (2017-2-18)  (Read 235179 times)

Kranmer

• View Profile
Replacement FMVs for FFVII
« Reply #200 on: 2009-07-18 23:21:09 »
ok i have added audio this time but after i had uploaded it to youtube and to mediafire i noticed i had forgot to remove the letterbox before the end so i will have to go back and do that later, But the audio should be pretty much timed right to go with the video, the audio was taken from grimmy's HD opening and just reedited to fit with my opening (like rearranging the sound after the train goes past to make it fit with the shorter scene etc)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyl2zn4AwlA

Also the videos below are the same as above and have the letterbox all the way through the video, I have uploaded both Xvid and MP4 versions (i uploaded both because MP4 seems to give slightly better quality but i added the Xvid ones since MP4 isnt supported yet in game). I also experimented with a blur on the video on the Blured with audio links to see what happens but to be honest i didnt see much difference (on the text where cloud speaks i could but the rest of the video was pretty much the same) but if anyones interested take a look and if your not just ignore them.

Not blured With audio (MP4=58mb and Xvid=30mb)
Xvid+MP3-http://www.mediafire.com/?kf2trmhxtm4
or
MP4-http://www.mediafire.com/?amgdodydnlb

Blured with audio (MP4=58mb and Xvid=25mb)
Xvid+MP3-http://www.mediafire.com/?ymn2mmqaztm
or
MP4-http://www.mediafire.com/?l0oznyzrgom

Curlyoxide

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 2009-07-18 23:43:29 »
Excellent job! Having all these updates from these forums to inject into FF7 makes the PC version so superior to the PSX version its ridiculous lol. Can't wait for more  :mrgreen:

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 2009-07-23 04:50:44 »
Is anyone interested in really going all out for the intro? Now that we can play higher quality videos, I'm kinda excited about this. I'm fairly good with Meteor and can do away with the frame rate issue. I was thinking of having the intro play out like this:

PS3 demo intro with the new logo COMPLETELY up to when the train enters the station. No transition. The movie then hangs at the same frame where the train is completely stopped and the characters come out and knock the guards down. Barret comes out, waves to Cloud, and the movie cuts to PS3 demo Cloud jumping down off the train, swinging his sword, and the movie ends with his smirk and fades, leaving the player looking behind Cloud and ready to begin controlling him.

Alternatively, PS3 demo could go up until it stops at the reactor and fade away, leaving the background intact. Avalanche could come out and do their thing, wave to Cloud, and using one of the two unused movie codes, a completely new movie could be added showing Cloud jumping off the train.

I think the first method would look cleaner, even if it weren't as technically of a cool feat as the second. Besides, using the second method would free up the second extra movie so that, if wanted, yet another movie could be added to depict a cutscene in the game.

Another movie I intended on doing was the scene where Cloud escapes from the guards after the mission. When he jumps off the train, the movie could cut to Cloud jumping off the train from the PS3 demo, show the shot of him landing on the ground, but only enough so that you can't really discern the background, then cutting to the Crisis Core ending movie where Cloud is in a similar position kneeling on the train with his sword in front of him (making it look like he jumped onto the train and landed in this position). Cut to Cloud standing up on the train as it rides off into the distance, finally cutting back to the train wrapping around the pillars, where it ends.

I would do these things myself but I seem to have no luck editing videos and getting them to work properly. However, I'd be more than glad to help out anyone willing to really do the opening sequence justice.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 2009-07-23 05:28:52 »
Frame rate issue? I was under the impression that 15 FPS is enough for these kind of videos. I could (fairly) easily add support for higher framerates for fixed-FPS content.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 2009-07-23 05:46:42 »
It's more of a length constraint, seeing how you have to time everything just perfectly in order to make all field events happen as intended. Eventually, you're either raising the FPS to ridiculous amounts to squeeze it into a smaller time window or stretching it out to 10 to make it longer. As far as I know the engine itself can handle any FPS you feed it, but the field files count the frames in a movie and use that to determine it's length, in turn using that to dictate when the next events in the field script take place.

Edit - Well, technically it sets the amount of frames which can be changed in the field files to accommodate a smaller or larger movie. In this case, you'd probably want to extend the frames so the movie could be longer and at a much smoother 30 FPS. The results of too long of a movie are that field events take place earlier than they ought to. This is actually something I want to take advantage of for the intro, timing where the movie hangs to match up with where AVALANCHE comes out and knocks out the guards. This would have the effect of making the movie the background until after Cloud jumps down from the train, completely eliminating the transition from movie to background until a point it can be done much smoother.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-23 05:56:23 by Tsetra »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 2009-07-23 06:03:51 »
Another movie I intended on doing was the scene where Cloud escapes from the guards after the mission. When he jumps off the train, the movie could cut to Cloud jumping off the train from the PS3 demo, show the shot of him landing on the ground, but only enough so that you can't really discern the background, then cutting to the Crisis Core ending movie where Cloud is in a similar position kneeling on the train with his sword in front of him (making it look like he jumped onto the train and landed in this position). Cut to Cloud standing up on the train as it rides off into the distance, finally cutting back to the train wrapping around the pillars, where it ends.
Now this I like!  Anything to get rid of the horrible "chibi" model they used for the FMV, and if in the rights persons hands, ontrain.avi could look quite believable.
Frame rate issue? I was under the impression that 15 FPS is enough for these kind of videos. I could (fairly) easily add support for higher framerates for fixed-FPS content.
Please do.  There is such an obvious stutter in the opening video when it runs at 15fps instead of 30

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 2009-07-23 06:21:02 »
This is exactly the kind of questions I PM'd you about a while ago Tsetra.  As I've seen your expertise with Meteor.  :wink:

I've been slowly, not much free time, been working on releasing a new opening video.  I've dug into the opening scene, md1stin if memory serves me, and have modified the scene for a bit more flexibility.  There is a loop within the scene which checks when the desired frame is reached, and the rest of the scene can continue. (Avalanche jump from train, chat, etc.)  Changing this value I was able to add other movies without the worry of the other scripted events.  I then removed something that has annoyed me about the first scene for ages, the 3d guards in the transition from video to game.  Personal preference of course, I never liked it.  Modified the script so they appear once Avalanche jump from the train.  I just felt that myself and others were shackled by those guards into using the same ending of the opening movie for our videos.

Well I'll be redoing my videos with the higher res sources I used a few years ago.  If anyone would have links to higher quality vids of either the tech demo or the sephiroth vid, shoot me a PM.  My source vids are good quality, but I'd rather just do this once with a very high quality source.

Excited to see any other flexibility you can give us with your driver Aali, keep up the great work on that.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 2009-07-23 06:35:16 »
Ok this will be my last post for the night, lol.

Well I'll be redoing my videos with the higher res sources I used a few years ago.  If anyone would have links to higher quality vids of either the tech demo or the sephiroth vid, shoot me a PM.  My source vids are good quality, but I'd rather just do this once with a very high quality source.
The Advent Children Complete movie was converted to 720p and uploaded to a torrent somewhere on the internet so that DVD owners could also watch it.  It's only in Japanese, but for the Sephiroth scene that wouldn't really matter.  If 720p is good enough for you, I can try to find that torrent again and rip that section of video.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 2009-07-23 06:38:37 »
What about a 1080p source? I'm planing on getting a blu-ray driver soon. So when i get that and ACC i could rip the video. maybe help out.

Nero

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 2009-07-23 07:30:52 »
Here’s a link for an AC Complete torrent in both 720p and 1080p:
http://
« Last Edit: 2009-07-23 09:10:12 by Nero »

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: 2009-07-23 08:31:52 »
Thank you to everyone that has responded, I do appreciate it.  I just ask any further help be in a form of a PM, as I don't wish to derail the topic or have others post something that may break the rules of the forum.

I do have AC ripped from my DVD copy, I'm not sure if there is a pressing need to go beyond that resolution.  I'll see how it looks and judge it from there.  I was more concerned with finding a high quality ps3 tech demo video.  My source that I used years ago was 640x480 if I remember right.  That's a huge improvement from my original resolution, but it would be nice to have something better.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 2009-07-24 00:09:00 »
This is exactly the kind of questions I PM'd you about a while ago Tsetra.  As I've seen your expertise with Meteor.  :wink:

I apologize, I completely forgot about that until just now.You really gotta bug me with PMs or I'll forget as I'm not on here much anymore - demanding summer job. It sounds like you've tinkered with Meteor enough to do what was needed yourself? That's great, if so!

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 2009-07-29 21:59:28 »
ok i have been working most of the day on the tech demo, I have been croping, upscaling the video and now i am removing noise, color noise and removing by hand some of the really bad artifacts (well i mean each frame and i have to do it manually and not my actual hands but you get the idea)
here are some screenshots, The first screenshot is a picture from the original PS3 tech demo, The other 2 are different filters run on the video, I would like to ask for peoples opinions on which looks best if noone minds. Also you may notice on the first picture a giant black line and this is the artifact i am trying to remove which you should notice is gone on the filtered versions.

source

blur filter

sharp filter

seifertemp

« Reply #213 on: 2009-07-29 22:39:00 »
No need when it comes to updating the fmv we already have.  Can't see why anyone would want 30fps ....

@ kramner.  Prob with that is, as you say it is from a recording.  I hope they release the full vid....  But even so, how would that meld onto the original FF7 background?

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 2009-07-29 23:45:01 »
Kranmer, I think the blur filter looks alot better.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 2009-07-30 01:04:48 »
The blur filter actually looks sharper than the sharp filter. wtf?

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 2009-07-30 01:06:38 »
I'd go for blur filter.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 2009-07-30 02:23:19 »
With blur, you can tell the image has been blurred, but when the movie gets going I don't think anyone will notice.  Definitely blur filter!!

No need when it comes to updating the fmv we already have.  Can't see why anyone would want 30fps ....
For videos (like the PS3 opening) that were originally recorded at 30fps, there is an obvious difference between 15 and 30.  Same goes with the video Clover made.

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #218 on: 2009-07-30 02:45:35 »
Blur v. Sharp - It will depend on type of display being used and personal preference. I like how sharp looks on my old tube tv and new plasma, but prefer blur on my pc monitor(videos only). It just comes down to who is playing what on what.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 2009-07-30 15:52:31 »
ok then so i have tried the blured and made a first draft and uploaded it to youtube here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEQVrOIIOh0
i upscaled to 1280x720, Removed colour noise and remove some artifacts and a very small blur filter.
You will notice the removed colour noise more on the text at the end of the video and on the midgar zoomed out scene (compare it to the original if you have it).

No need when it comes to updating the fmv we already have.  Can't see why anyone would want 30fps ....

@ kramner.  Prob with that is, as you say it is from a recording.  I hope they release the full vid....  But even so, how would that meld onto the original FF7 background?

Well grimmy did a decent video with the tech vid and if their was a higher quality video it may be possible to make the video look better and to meld it to the original game all you need to do is fade to the correct train at the end of the sequance, Or eventually when/if Aali's tool can create new backgrounds we may be able to make the train scene like the one on the tech vid.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 2009-07-30 16:15:40 »
I couldn't even tell it didn't belong to an HD source. Maybe it's cause i just woke up, But still fantastic job :D

seifertemp

« Reply #221 on: 2009-07-30 16:21:25 »
I suggest me and kramner do out own sets, he prefers blur, I prefer sharp.

Blurring something may get rid of more pixellation but you lose colour and you lose detail.  I don't personally feel that it is a good trade.   We can argue for days about this but in the end it isn't anyones fault, it is just what we are starting with is utter crap :(

On some videos there is more pixellation too, such as sephiroth at nibelheim and flames.   It seems the encoder they used for PSX was sh*t.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 2009-07-30 17:00:01 »
The TM20 codec wasn't exactly the creme of the crop.

That's why, though, we've got AC, CC, and Tech Demo clips  :lol:

seifertemp

« Reply #223 on: 2009-07-30 17:09:48 »
The TM20 codec wasn't exactly the creme of the crop.

They used that on the psx vids.  The psx vids are themselves encoded and poorly at 320*224....  so PC had a double compression hence being way worse than psx.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 2009-07-30 17:13:25 »
yeah FF7 videos for their day where very good on PSX (i bought it back in 1997 on the PSX and i played it for months) i was stuned by the incredible graphics, i hadnt seen anything like it before, up till then i had only Ridge Racer, Battle arena toshinden, Bust a move 2 and a few other really bad PSX games but then FF7 came along and belw me away, now i dont feel this way for many reasons but mostly its because if you compare to graphics to new games the old FF7 movies suck but at the time they seemed good, But that was on the PSX. the PC movies have always looked bad to me (then again i got the PC version some years later so it could have been because of that) and like titeguy3 said the TM20 codec is/was bad even in its day it wasnt that great.
And yea the encoder for the PSX version wasnt very good looking at it from now but for its day it was proberly state of the art but now old STR files are really bad.