Author Topic: [HD Remake] Sector 6 Slums  (Read 57604 times)

Ulpian

• View Profile
Re: [HD Remake] Sector 6 Slums
« Reply #50 on: 2012-10-14 20:16:39 »
Glad you all like v5.0, and really appreciated the kudos (including the ones in french). I'm looking forward to remaking some more scenes, though it does feel like very tiny steps within an overall massive (and criminally understaffed) project.

Ulpian

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2012-10-15 01:38:35 »
sl1982 suggested to me in the other thread to pick scenes in order to minimize a "clash of styles". In that respect, maybe you'd like to get to another "outdoor" scene of the slums, in the vicinity of the one you already made?

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2012-10-15 09:43:49 »
Yeah, I'd suggest dividing a game in "sectors" to be easier to make the job feel attainable.

F.e., divide it by cities and only move on to another one when the first one is completly remaked. Making a remake here and there will only demotivate as you'll come across "man, there's so much to do", and in the end you'll have a bunch of scenes, redone by different guys, that doesn't fit together. At least if you completly do a city, and decide to take a break (aka in modding, you wont ever touch that again aka dead project) your work wouldn't have been in vain.

If i were you i would concentrate ina small place, like redoing the inside of the shinra ship or the shinra sinked airplane.
They have few scenes, no one have touched them and i believe it would fit your style.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-15 09:50:15 by Nightmarish »

themadpatter

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2012-10-16 06:00:33 »
Wow! Totally amazing. I echo the posts above as you don't want to do too much then get burnt out.

whitERaven

• when the Raven turns white..
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2012-10-16 07:23:59 »
Yeah, I'd suggest dividing a game in "sectors" to be easier to make the job feel attainable.

F.e., divide it by cities and only move on to another one when the first one is completly remaked. Making a remake here and there will only demotivate as you'll come across "man, there's so much to do", and in the end you'll have a bunch of scenes, redone by different guys, that doesn't fit together. At least if you completly do a city, and decide to take a break (aka in modding, you wont ever touch that again aka dead project) your work wouldn't have been in vain.

If i were you i would concentrate ina small place, like redoing the inside of the shinra ship or the shinra sinked airplane.
They have few scenes, no one have touched them and i believe it would fit your style.

Isn't that what they're doing already on the the Bombing Mission Project? or am I wrong..

Ulpian

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2012-10-21 21:32:47 »
'Evening all, here's a quick WIP preview of the next scene. Will probably do the lights, textures and the rest of the modelling next week-end.

Original:

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #56 on: 2012-10-21 21:43:55 »
Ohhhhhhh!  Great!!! It's alive!

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2012-10-22 06:43:05 »
 :o
Wow! That's really stunning! That's going to be awesome  :)

This goes to emphasize how much noob I am in 3d modelling  :|   I'm going to post my own progress though...

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2012-10-22 10:33:26 »
The left leg on the "hanging carts" (?) is a bit bended in the original.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2012-10-22 19:19:44 »
That chain link fence is interesting to me. It seems like it's a lot finer on yours than the original. I think this is a perfect example of the sort of thing that's inaccurate, but a welcome change. Your chain link is a lot closer to a real one, and better fits the size of the fence in relation to the characters. I'd bet the original was the way it was because they were trying to make something that looked good and was identifiable even at the absurdly low resolutions of days gone by.

Ulpian

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2012-10-22 19:58:58 »
Well it's quite interesting you'd spot that, Covarr: when creating the fence, I actually modeled it down to the intertwined chain links (instead of relying on some poly plane with textured transparency as the original apparently used):

...alas, there is little chance one will notice those details from the aerial view even at full resolution.

@Nightmarish: the left leg on the swings you mean? it's already slightly bent but will work on that, thanks.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-22 23:38:48 by Ulpian »

whitERaven

• when the Raven turns white..
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2012-10-23 00:18:38 »
ohh.. such details.. you good man, can't wait till you finish this..

Ulpian

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2013-01-12 10:33:15 »
Hi there,

I'm alive and well but currently between university exams and military obligations. I haven't forgotten this project and found the latest BG work of Mayo Master, SpooX and now-returned Timu quite inspiring. Hope to see more in the future as well as extend my own contributions.

Wishing you all a great start in 2013

Ulpian

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2013-01-12 13:05:07 »
Great to see you're alive and well! Take courage for all these obligations, we'll be looking forward to seeing you back on this project  :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2013-01-13 06:31:47 »
abnormal how you guys model like that

PrinceKLR

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2013-02-24 10:52:01 »
well sry to bump in this topic
first of all it looks stunning both of the pics
and i wanted to ask how to get to use in game using just the pic

Mirrorman95

• View Profile
    • Mirrorman95 - YouTube Channel
« Reply #66 on: 2013-02-26 02:44:24 »
Yeah, and the Jessie, Biggs, Wedge, and 1st Ray models are amazing. I hope they release those soon. And I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be a bump if the server hadn't been down and deleted the last few weeks of posts.

Theclad

• Idir - FFDream.com
    • View Profile
    • FINAL FANTASY DREAM - Webmaster
« Reply #67 on: 2013-02-27 09:39:11 »
C'est complétement dingue !  ;)

What's a lot of effort ! Thank you ! :)

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2015-01-19 16:35:11 »
Hi folks,

If someone out there has a minimum of skills with an image processing software (Photoshop, Gimp, etc.), we could use some help regarding a particular scene, given that Ulpian went MIA.
The thing is: Ulpian made a final render of the "broken road" scene mds6_1 and uploaded it on the repo, but as it is the scene is not playable. The job in question would involve taking this render, and (painstakingly and painfully) re-create the layers. I see a lot of Magic Wand involved in this :P
Thanks in advance to anyone who volunteers!

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2015-01-19 19:44:25 »
That scene looks pretty tricky to do. I may take a stab at it when i finish these textures.

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2015-01-19 21:04:07 »
Nooooooo why didn't he upload the source :(

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2015-01-29 21:41:18 »
Such a shame he went awol....So much detail in those renders.... :-[

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2015-02-02 08:46:43 »
I think in the future you should probably start asking people for the original model file (or at least a .psd file with all the layers), even if it's just a WIP version, because WAY too often works just gets lost. Hell, even make it obligatory...

Some people come here, start one scene, maybe leaving some finished rendered images without layers (which are usable but a pain in the ass to edit), or renders of unfinished work with great potential, but never come back to the forums to finish it, and didn't leave the model file for someone else to finish it...
« Last Edit: 2015-02-02 08:50:05 by Fischkopf »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2015-03-28 20:18:20 »
Quick update:

I got some help from someone at ff7.fr to make the layering process of the mds6_1 scene and have it playable. It can probably be released within 2 weeks  :)

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2015-04-02 02:09:48 »
It is done.
It took quite a number of retouches to get Ulpian's render in the game, namely because of a fair amount of layering issues. There were more than 20 Photoshop/Gimp revisions which were necessary.
Kudos to Shampignon from the ff7.fr community who helped out a great deal.
I hope you'll enjoy!