Author Topic: [PSX/PC] Save Editor - Black Chocobo (v1.15)  (Read 1001414 times)

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
Re: [RELEASE v1.9.7]: Black Chocobo - FF7 Save Game Editor
« Reply #925 on: 2013-07-13 19:27:37 »
i wonder if only people with cloud saves turned off have this issue. could you please try with it enabled and report back. since thats the only major difference between the steam and 2012 version. although it sounds like the saves are failing a cloud check to get them removed in the first place. (black chocobo itself does not delete files).

paladin181

• View Profile
« Reply #926 on: 2013-07-14 06:53:42 »
I believe it's a version check. BC saves the files with the header from an old version (98) and "to prevent cheating" SE disabled the ability to use saves from previous games. The Launcher of the game does the version check, so I just open the launcher before I do any edits or paste the files back in the save folder after the launcher is open. Fixes the problem.

After loading a game, if you save again it will not be a problem in the future until you edit the save again, that is.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #927 on: 2013-07-14 13:05:34 »
there is no header difference between the 98 version and the 2012 version or the steam version they are all the same .ff7 files. its all in the metadata and its timestamps/signatures.

im told there is a new file for the steam version in your save path perhaps that file now also needs editing. can someone post their steam save folder to a place i can look at it. that might help get this figured out. im also a bit confused because im told it works by most people and a few have a save issue.

zelentron

• View Profile
« Reply #928 on: 2013-07-14 17:39:46 »
hello there, I recently lost some progress while play the FF7 steam version, I the cloud saving wasn't connecting so I continued anyhow I had lost a couple hours of progress and decided to edit my save to at least make up the money and xp I lost, after jenova crashed a couple times I ran the game again and it had reverted to a save I had overwritten a day or more earlier, I don't wish to continue on this save as it was the one I had tested the character booster on and I was 10+ hours behind where I was in the first place, I found this thread and firstly well done on BC, its quite neat I hope the progression editing it updated so I can start back where I left off!, and secondly some publishers use separate directories when using saves on steam games

the one for the steam version of FF7 is : C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII Steam\user_174207

and here are what the folders look like

and insider the user folder

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #929 on: 2013-07-14 18:08:47 »
@ zelentron ,were you able to successfully edit your steam save? if did u run Black Chocobo as Admin ? and do you have cloud sync enabled?

the progression stuff is a pain , but you can get one of saves from eslava's save collection and edit it accordingly from a close point. you might have to replay some progress but there should be a close save.

zelentron

• View Profile
« Reply #930 on: 2013-07-15 14:04:06 »
after doing a little testing, I have come to this so far:

I have to make a cloud save to put my new save into the game (not sure if I HAVE to) . then if I try to edit the save file after I test if it will work in the game it deletes the save. I just tried to edit a save BEFORE I put it into the game, maxing materia, limit breaks, higher levels, it appears to have worked, I don't know if will work in the future, but here we are, I am wondering, how hard can I mess with this?

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #931 on: 2013-07-15 14:47:30 »
saving for steam or 2012 will should be just the same as any other save.  open the file and edit then save. if the program sees a metadata.xml file with your save its susposed to edit it accordingly, using the detected user ID from the path .

also what version of windows are you using? (seams all those with lost saves come from people using win 8 )

from my tests and others the metadata is correctly updated when its susposed to so im a bit unsure of why this is happening.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-15 15:29:22 by Covarr the Proud Fanboy »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: 2013-07-15 17:57:01 »
"to prevent cheating"

They don't want you to use an older, slightly advanced save. Instead, they want you to boost everything to max. SE logic.

On a more serious note, that's yet another proof that SE knows about this website and the tools it offers. For the 2012 version, they tried to prevent save editing. That worked for a bit, until sith found how to bypass it. Since the 2012 version was already bypass-able, they tried to add yet another check for the Steam version (and I guess it won't take long before sith can manage to bypass it). That's at least how I perceive it, and I may be far from the truth.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #933 on: 2013-07-15 19:26:30 »
as far as i can tell there is no other check its the same metadata set up ..  then again i don't have the steam version or the 2012 version since neither work on linux becuase the DRM that square decided to add is not supported at this time.seams so far to be a win 8 issue we shall see when zelentron tells us what verson of windows he has. but others with that issue have all been 8 users , some other users have reported that the steam version works just fine. 

Edit: if someone (looking at you vegetta) would build r1113+ for windows it might work better w/ steam since i did find a small possible issue w/ the signing .
« Last Edit: 2013-07-15 19:29:00 by sithlord48 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: 2013-07-15 20:30:31 »
If other Steam games work on Linux with Wine, I'd imagine FF7 should also; they removed the SecuROM DRM when they released it on Steam; only the 2012 version still has it.

zelentron

• View Profile
« Reply #935 on: 2013-07-16 11:58:23 »
I'm using Windows XP 32 bit, I can now confirm that after placing a save from the save archive sith referred me to I can place a save there, but any attempt to edit the save after you have placed it will cause the save to be deleted, even if you are not connected to cloud saving, which I am not, I guess I'll make a save where I'm just high level and not too crazy, works for me : :mrgreen:

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #936 on: 2013-07-16 14:06:17 »
here try This recently built version and see if it works any better with the steam copy. btw there are some known bugs this version is a few revs older then the current svn. do not edit japanese files w/ this version it will trash your items.

please report any bugs you may find

Demonpriest

• View Profile
« Reply #937 on: 2013-07-16 18:59:57 »
Let me see if I can help you shed some light on this issue. I just found this website after downloading FF7 from Steam yesterday, love your work!
I am using Windows 7 64 bit, Cloud Saving is NOT enabled.

I was having the same issue as most. Open Black Chocobo, select my save file in My Documents, Square Enix, FINAL FANTASY VII STEAM, user_2619999.   save00.ff7

I can open and edit the save just fine, and I save it back in the exact same location with the exact same name, no problem. For the purpose of simplicity, the only thing I edited was gil, I added 10 gil to my save, that's it, and saved it back in the original location.

With my save folder open (user_2619999), I have 4 files present: achievement.dat, avatar.png, metadata.xml, and save00.ff7.
Now, again with that folder open, as soon as I click on Final Fantasy VII, it starts the launcher. As soon as the launcher appears, my save00.ff7 file gets deleted from my user folder. Completely. Nothing else changes, but the launcher deletes my saved game file from my folder.

The only way I have found around this, is to open the launcher BEFORE editing a save. If the launcher is open, THEN you open and run Black Chocobo, you can edit anything to your hearts' content. Save it with the launcher still open, then run the game. Play it or immediately save it, doesn't matter, the launcher will not delete the file once you save in game.

Hope my first post helps, if you want me to play around with some settings let me know, I'd be glad to see what I can do.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #938 on: 2013-07-16 19:43:28 »
yes please try two things.
1 enable cloud save see if anything different happens.
2.download this copy of BC(link removed) and try with and with out cloud save enabled.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-04 19:34:15 by sithlord48 »

snarfi

• View Profile
« Reply #939 on: 2013-07-16 20:40:40 »
I just do it like this:

start game to main menu
edit save
load game
save
it be done.

Demonpriest

• View Profile
« Reply #940 on: 2013-07-17 00:02:28 »
yes please try two things.
1 enable cloud save see if anything different happens.
2.download this copy of BC and try with and with out cloud save enabled.

1. I enabled cloud save, loaded my game, went into the game and saved, then exited all the way back out. Opened up BC (the original version), edited my gil, saved it. Soon as I started the launcher, it deleted my saved game again.

2. I downloaded your new version of BC. With Cloud Saving still enabled, I edited my saved game (game and launcher both closed), and saved it. Upon starting the launcher, my saved game is instantly deleted.

3. Still using the new version of BC, I disabled Cloud Saving, edited my saved game (game and launcher both closed), and saved it. Still deleted my saved game as soon as the launcher started.

4. With cloud saving enabled and the new version of BC OR the old version of BC, I CANNOT load an edited save, the cloud sync overrides it and deletes the save. I found this rather odd, as I expected the Cloud Save would simply override my edited save, but it instead removes the save entirely.

5. With Cloud Saving disabled, I can load a saved game edited with either or/both versions of BC as long as I edit the save with the launcher open. I literally edited my saved game (with the launcher open, cloud saving disabled) with the original version, then edited it again with the new version, and was able to load it up just fine.

If I need to clarify anything or you want me to try anything else please let me know!
« Last Edit: 2013-07-17 00:05:07 by Demonpriest »

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #941 on: 2013-07-17 00:54:59 »
@Deamonpreast,
1. do you have saves that are in synced?
2. does your file(s) contain more then one slot of data?
3. after you edit, before starting the launcher can you check you metadata.xml file (wordpad) and see if it contains empty timestamps or signature for your valid files/slots.
4. if you have a file with more then one save, do the timestamps all match in metadata.xml for that file?

if you have file with more then one data slot can you test with a file with a single save also.

also play with the new BC let me know what you think before its to late and i release it....

Demonpriest

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: 2013-07-17 01:18:21 »
@Deamonpreast,
1. do you have saves that are in synced?
2. does your file(s) contain more then one slot of data?
3. after you edit, before starting the launcher can you check you metadata.xml file (wordpad) and see if it contains empty timestamps or signature for your valid files/slots.
4. if you have a file with more then one save, do the timestamps all match in metadata.xml for that file?

if you have file with more then one data slot can you test with a file with a single save also.

also play with the new BC let me know what you think before its to late and i release it....

1. I don't play with Cloud Save on; however, for the purpose of testing it, I did enable it and sync my saved game with it (before editing anything).
2. My files contain only one slot of data.
3. Sure thing, here are the results:

This is my original metadata.xml, before editing (since I only have 1 save, I'm only posting the first block, the rest are empty):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<gamestatus>
  <savefiles block="1">
    <timestamp slot="1">1374019195919</timestamp>
    <timestamp slot="2"></timestamp>
    <timestamp slot="3"></timestamp>
    <timestamp slot="4"></timestamp>
    <timestamp slot="5"></timestamp>
    <timestamp slot="6"></timestamp>
    <timestamp slot="7"></timestamp>
    <timestamp slot="8"></timestamp>
    <timestamp slot="9"></timestamp>
    <timestamp slot="10"></timestamp>
    <timestamp slot="11"></timestamp>
    <timestamp slot="12"></timestamp>
    <timestamp slot="13"></timestamp>
    <timestamp slot="14"></timestamp>
    <timestamp slot="15"></timestamp>
    <signature>aedcc3f20a1eccddff6e81585ab17ff2</signature>
  </savefiles>

After editing and saving:

<gamestatus>
  <savefiles block="1">
    <timestamp slot="1">1374023649491</timestamp>
    <signature>20b012946089aa48126689a2b660634b</signature>
  </savefiles>

Then after starting the launcher and watching my save disappear:

<gamestatus>
  <savefiles block="1">
    <timestamp slot="1"></timestamp>
    <signature>63d8b5a2dfe7db7b5b9ab9771905a181</signature>
  </savefiles>

Hope that helps? If you need more of the file or the whole thing I'll be glad to post it.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #943 on: 2013-07-17 16:04:47 »
that last signature .. your user id is 2619999 ?
if so empty files should be signed with
4f8e83414b87011d970546d7b68fb70e
by my calculation.. if this is your correct user id then there is something wrong .

Demonpriest

• View Profile
« Reply #944 on: 2013-07-17 17:06:09 »
that last signature .. your user id is 2619999 ?
if so empty files should be signed with
4f8e83414b87011d970546d7b68fb70e
by my calculation.. if this is your correct user id then there is something wrong .

Sorry, I wasn't sure if we were suppose to keep our actual user ID private as it's tied to steam, but I don't really see any harm in it from what I can tell. My user id is 2649734.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: 2013-07-17 17:10:59 »
I'm pretty sure this ID is only tied to this game, and I'm positive it can't be used to hack anything. Share away.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #946 on: 2013-07-17 17:18:04 »
in that case then yes it apperas that the userID is being correctly added to the game for signing. even for empty files.

i might need to get the steam version to test this correctly . any Donations to BC will be used for this. so if i can get at lest what is it 12 bucks and it works on linux i should be able to figure this out pretty quickly. perhaps if i get enuff i can setup a bounty for signing PS3 and PSP/PsVita files.. (cause i can't do it alone).
« Last Edit: 2013-07-17 17:22:23 by sithlord48 »

yuusharo

• View Profile
« Reply #947 on: 2013-07-18 20:41:08 »
Just FYI, the steam version is on sale at Greenmangaming for 30% off with a voucher. Good until July 22 at 1500 UTC.

http://blog.playfire.com/2013/07/30-off-guncraft-ffvii-and-more.html

DigitalIP

• View Profile
« Reply #948 on: 2013-07-20 10:43:23 »
In the case of having a save deleted that you didn't backup, theres plenty of save files that you can search for that people have uploaded that may be near where you left off.
Ive had to do that myself at one point, luckily I was able to find a save near where I originally was.

Making a backup copy before editing is ALWAYS recommended. Saving in more than one slot location is also a good idea.

Ive found that starting the game and going to select your save, then editing your file, then going back to the games main screen then back to the load save menu(so the edited information takes effect) keeps the save files from being deleted. ever since I started doing this ive had no deleted save problems.

Id also like to point out that I DO NOT use SE's Cloud Save feature as I have no use for it.

Other then that 1 issue before and after ive not encountered any problems with the game or the editor.

paladin181

• View Profile
« Reply #949 on: 2013-07-20 17:42:25 »
I went to edit a save where Cloud was infected with Sadness, but it showed as fury in the editor. May do some experimenting, but initial finding is that they are reversed.